PDA

View Full Version : British Girls? Why are they so low down?

exoneuk
Mar 13th, 2002, 09:48 PM
It's a bit of a shame to say that us brits have got three british players in the top 100... for men... and one of them is rubbish half the time anyway so how he got there is beyond belief sometimes. But I have seen our british girls play: Baltacha, Keothavong, Ahl and Pullin... and yet although they show the great potential we all know and love... they can't win! Ahl does well to try and qualify but Pullin is annoying because I never even hear about trying to qualify for any events! And then when she does... she doesn't get in... or past the first round. :mad:

Baltacha was cruelly thrown onto Centre Court at Wimbledon and therefore I felt she suffered a huge bout of nerves and it can't have helped when half the crowd got up and left the stadium after she lost the first set 6-1 to Dechy...

Keothavong is a strange payer because you think... yeah she's gonna win this cos she starts off well... then she mucks it up and loses...

The pressure they have on them to be Britain's sole player in the top 100 is getting to them all :( I think they should relax and just play the game the way they want to :( DO IT FOR US GIRLS! BUT DON'T LET US STOP YOU EITHER!!!!

http://www.i-love-cats.com/meow/exoneuk/xx1.jpg

Jippo McScally
Mar 13th, 2002, 09:52 PM
It's in there genes!!!!

They go a set and a break up, and lose!!!!!:p :p ;)

exoneuk
Mar 13th, 2002, 09:54 PM
EXACTLY!!! Bloody girls building up our hopes!!!

Bezz
Mar 14th, 2002, 01:18 AM
I think Britain should do what the other european countries do and ship all the girls with potential off to America , at least we might actually get 1 inside the top 100:) :) except the americans might try and steel them, mentioning no names ...........monica and martina!!!:p

xan
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:49 AM
We have three problems:

1. Facilities. Kids aren't given the opportunities to play tennis in schools. Tennis clubs are still often centres of snobbery.

2. Culture: Tennis doesn't get a lot of exposure in the UK outside Wimbledon. People who enjoy tennis can watch on Eurosport, but not on mainstream channels. So no role-models develop - especially for the girls.

3. Training. I saw elena Baltacha at Wimbledon. She is a definate talent, but I was horrified by the elementary mistakes she was making that should have been corrected long before. Her trainer should have been shot.

british womens tennis is at a shameful low at the moment. We always had someone in the top five through to Jo Durie.

Randy H
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:57 AM
It's a shame the British girls don't have more up and comers. Hannah Collin, Anne Keothavong, and Elena Baltacha have been the 3 who have been the more promising, but none of them have been able to put together any consistency. Hopefully they won't end up stuck around the top 200-300 range.

Lucie Ahl's been having a pretty decent year, maybe she can put together a good season but it's still not enough, there needs to be more effort into getting young players up to top standard.

Vanity
Mar 14th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Britain has the same problem as Canada when it comes to producing top notch tennis players. Both have a rotten system which is in desperate need of some major changes.

Jakeev
Mar 14th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Would love to see British lass become a top player. But although I keep hearing the current crop of players have "talent" or "potential," I am beginning to wonder if they are really that good?

I only ask because there does not seem to be one player that just stands out. I hear all the reasons why there is no real development, but again, none of the players mentioned seem to stand out as potential contenders to threaten the top stars of today.

So those inside the scenes, does Great Britain have one player everybody is talking about? I mean like a Maria Sharapova or someone of that nature?

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Vanity.... Tennis Canada doesn't get $50M handed out to them every year like the LTA does when it gets some from the Wimbledon Champs.

The whole system sucks for boys as well as girls, coaches are stuck in the 19th Century when it comes to tactics, they only seem to try and teach them to play Grass Court tennis (rather pointless as grass is only 4 weeks, well 3 matches if you're a Brit Girl)

Another point is that they mature when everyone else is past their peak and on the way down.

PamShriverRockz
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:03 AM
It's very depressing to see our girls do badly, but I reckon the men's game in the UK is nearly as bad. We've only produced Tim Henman, as Rusedski came from Canada. There are not the facilities there should be, while I've found most tennis clubs don't welcome kids and there is a big snob factor - they don't want people cluttering up their social club! Hardly surprising there aren't many kids coming through! Also its expensive with all the travelling and kit etc. I remember reading an article about one of the up and coming tennis player and how he had to sleep in very bad motels and basically had no money, which in turn meant he found it difficult sustaining form...so he didn't earn much money...a vicious circle!
Also, if you look at it the UK doesn't have many world class sportswomen - look at how few gold medals women have won at the Olympics.

'British Girls why are they so low down?' - well I'm quite tall actually.... ;) ;)

Jem
Mar 14th, 2002, 12:39 PM
I was told by a British player that girls simply aren't encouraged to play sports in Britain, and that's one of the main reasons they haven't been able to develop any top-flight players. On top of that, they say the British climate makes training difficult. And as others have pointed out, they feel the British Tennis Association doesn't do a very good job of identifying and supporting talent. Plus, as others have pointed out, the British press dwells on the negative. Case in point: A couple of years ago, Julie Pullin qualified for the Australian, won her first-round and lost her second-round after having match points. While disappointed, she was also thrilled with her best result ever. She was savaged in the press back home. Very demoralizing.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 14th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Climate here is better than in other countries where they have got players in Top 100.

Sweden/Denmark's climate isn't brill either as could be said of some other Northern European countries.
Belgium/Netherlands get just about the same climate as in UK but a day later ;)
Neither is ours :rolleyes:

The girls in GB aren't prepared to put in the hard work and they are not hungry enough.

TeeRexx
Mar 14th, 2002, 01:01 PM
I think that the centuries of inbreeding has eliminated all of the top genes from the natural born Brits.

Maybe that new tunnel will bring some champions in the future. :eek: ;)

Maybe you could have one of the princes marry VENUS or SERENA and then England will finally be on top of the tennis world. :eek: :eek: :p

Vanity
Mar 14th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Vanity.... Tennis Canada doesn't get $50M handed out to them every year like the LTA does when it gets some from the Wimbledon Champs.

You are right about that! Our problem is that our tennis association is under-funded, while the LTA only spends money on money. Also in the UK, I know the attitude towards tennis is that it's an expensive country club sport. That could also be another reason not many good tennis players have been produced from there because there is simply no depth.

Monica_Rules
Mar 14th, 2002, 01:56 PM
I think its a case of brirth girls who are good at tennis at about 13/14 aren't willing to stop schooling in order to reach there full potensial!

sartrista7
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:35 PM
The reason all the British girls at the moment are low down is because they're not good enough to be higher. I don't think we should expect or even hope players like Pullin, Ahl, Baltacha etc. to reach the top 100, because they frankly don't cut it. But they shouldn't be our best players. There's an almost complete lack of any British junior girl with any potential. Fuck me if I know when/where the next one will emerge.

Anne K.
Mar 14th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Have any of you ever read a book by Peter Bodo called " Courts of Babylon"? There's an interesting chapter in it, titled, I believe, "Why Nigel Can't Play". His theory is that the social infrastructure in Britain is such that the best athletic youngters
are not interested in becoming tennis champs. You should read
this book, it explains a lot more that I can't remember. ;)

veryborednow
Mar 14th, 2002, 05:51 PM
We need to nick some of Canada's as we seem to do that for all our sports ....

exoneuk
Mar 14th, 2002, 09:09 PM
It's a shame that this high class snobbery seems to be taking over our tennis stars chances. I mean yeah they get wildcards into wimbledon but what good is it if they don't have the match practice before hand? I don't think our coaches are all too hot either to be honest...

Elena should be in the 100s by now, not 200s... :(

Halardfan
Mar 14th, 2002, 09:37 PM
My genes have plenty of non-Brit in them so I can safely overlook your kindly comments Mr Rexx.

Your just jealous becuase in the worlds number one sport, (Football) your country can only put up the likes of San Jose Earthquakes(!) and Dallas Burn(WHO?)

Teams staffed by American no-hopers and 53 year old foreign veterans looking for a fast buck!

:p ;)

Our tennis looks good by comparsion! :)

xan
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:22 PM
Tennis just isn't taught seriously to kids in Britain. That's the problem. Most British high-achievers have come from the upper-middle class country-clubs - Tim, Virginia Wade, Sue Barker Annabel Croft etc... So the talent pool is too small

Also what the LTA does with its 500 million, I don't know. It must be the worst spent sum of money in history!

exoneuk
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:26 PM
Well it could be bloody well anything! 500 Million to buy a new set of cars for the people who work for the LTA... Maybe even buying a car for all the players to try and boost morale...

Sounds like a good bet mind ;)

Martian Martin
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:29 PM
I don't think the interest level is high enough here, it doesn't help that the media seem to think there is only 4 weeks of tennis a year and that's the grass court season.

Lmao@ Chris!! :)

exoneuk
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:39 PM
I think the media need to stop pushing their noses into the whole places! Understandably they are INTERESTED in the progress of our stars but one loss means SLANDER, SLANDER and comments of: Is this the best we can do?

Surely that cannot really help their confidence AT ALL...

PamShriverRockz
Mar 15th, 2002, 01:45 AM
Someone mentioned about girls not being encouraged to play sport and that is definately true. I used to play lots of hockey in school, yet we never got the same attention or funding that the boy's rugby & soccer teams did...and by sixth form we didn't have a team any more - no one to coach us (as teachers have to give up their spare unpaid time) and over half of our team had quit. This was sad given that we had won the county championship just a couple of years previously and had 7 players in the county side. Unfortunately this isn't uncommon for girls to drop out of sport, so think about all the talent that has gone to waste!
:(
The media really doesn't help...not just negative comments about failure but there is a stigma attached to women athletes that is quite sexist (i.e. we're not interested unless they look like Anna Kournikova etc.etc.) and sport is for men etc.etc.