PDA

View Full Version : How much money do coaches get?

Verba
Sep 16th, 2004, 06:09 PM
It'd be interesting for me to know how much our girls pay to their coaches. I guess there should be some fixed wage plus some percent of prize money. Does anybody have some information?

Sorry, if this topic already appeared in RR...

the cat
Sep 16th, 2004, 07:45 PM
I don't have the answer Verba. But I hope the Russina's pay their coaches well. Elena Dementieva can pay her coach well because she wins and makes alot of money. But how can a player like Maria Kirilenko afford to pay her coach when she struggles to win matches on the WTA Tour? Maybe Maria's agency IMG is covering her coaching expenses.

Verba
Sep 16th, 2004, 11:01 PM
I don't have the answer Verba. But I hope the Russina's pay their coaches well. Elena Dementieva can pay her coach well because she wins and makes alot of money. But how can a player like Maria Kirilenko afford to pay her coach when she struggles to win matches on the WTA Tour? Maybe Maria's agency IMG is covering her coaching expenses.

the cat, I think it's hard to find a concrete answer. What I'm interested is a range of wages: e.g., is it like $100,000 in a year or $150,000 or something else? I don't also know who pays all the traveling expenses of a coach: coach, player or tournament organizers? I'm trying to get how this system works.

the cat
Sep 16th, 2004, 11:07 PM
Maybe Cool_Olga would know. She reports on tennis and gets close to the players. I would think an established coach would get a good salary and perhaps part of the prize money.

Epigone
Sep 16th, 2004, 11:56 PM
It would be interesting to know the deal that Vera Zvonareva had/has with Julia Kashevarova. In addition to having her as a coach, Vera also lived with Julia and her daughter. For a top level player, I don't think that's the norm.

I wonder if Vera paid for her room and board by doing jobs around the house?

Verba
Sep 17th, 2004, 02:11 AM
Probably, some tennis fans are aware of the money deals with coaches. Waiting for their responses.

Epigone, I think Vera has/had very warm relations with Yulia. But this isn't a norm, of course, to live together with your coach. But.. isn't it convinient?

tenn_ace
Sep 17th, 2004, 03:40 AM
I think it's 10% of the earnings... I remember seeing this number somewhere.

Verba
Sep 17th, 2004, 05:08 AM
I think it's 10% of the earnings... I remember seeing this number somewhere.
It is probably of prize money. But I guess there should be some fixed wage: imagine that a player loses in a first round at every tournament - then coach can't live on 10% of those money.

Dan23
Sep 17th, 2004, 06:25 AM
I have read in one of Robert Lansdorp's articles that he says he only asks for $120 an hour to work with Maria :)

Epigone
Sep 17th, 2004, 07:20 AM
I couldn't find anything about how much coaches of WTA Tour players are paid. However, I did find a few articles about ATP coaches. The problem is that ATP prizemoney is much higher, so I'm not sure how well the figures translate to pay for a coach on the WTA Tour. I guess what the articles do highlight is the different ways coaches are paid.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/wimbledon04/news/story?id=1823527
Most of the players ranked in the top 100 have full-time coaches, whose salaries can run from expenses to a percentage of winnings. The average salary, according to those in the business, probably comes in around $50,000.
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Tennis/ATP/2004/07/28/560276.html
...the coach gets a basic salary of several hundred thousand and a share, somewhere around 10% of the kitty in the majors, not to mention free travel and eats. Kuerten gave his guy a Mercedes a few years back.
This article http://www.tennis.com/ProGame/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=60214&itype=1296 says that it costs ATP players outside the Top 50 $90000 ($60000+expenses) per year for a coach.

From http://www.bangkokpost.net/education/site2004/injn2904.htm
Paradorn would want someone who has the experience of taking a top 15 player into the top five. Few coaches have that track record and those that do, don't come cheap. These select coaches charge an average of US$30,000-40,000 per week based on 25-30 weeks’ per year. US Open champion Andy Roddick’s coach, Brad Gilbert, reportedly receives US$50,000 per week, plus bonuses and injury clauses.

Verba
Sep 17th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Epigone, thank you so much... :worship: :worship: :worship:So much interesting information! Did I get it sorrectly that a player covers coach's traveling expenses?

OMG, Brad GIlbert...$50,000 a week. Does Andy pays his own money to Brad?

Verba
Sep 17th, 2004, 11:57 AM
I have read in one of Robert Lansdorp's articles that he says he only asks for $120 an hour to work with Maria :)
Thanks. :kiss:

goldenlox
Sep 17th, 2004, 06:00 PM
The coach probably makes a deal with the player that involves a salary, and a percentage. Maybe a commission if she wins a certain level event.
It's probably varies depending on the player's level.

Verba
Sep 17th, 2004, 06:14 PM
The coach probably makes a deal with the player that involves a salary, and a percentage.
What is the approximate salary???????????

Stephieva
Sep 17th, 2004, 06:38 PM
me read from somewhere that it's usually 10%...+ travel expenses...
me thinks this is for normall coach..

but if they're popular like Brad Gilbert..
it must be much more..

butttttt from Epigone...$50,000 a week is damn eek..
me wonders how Roddick can afford it...
it's like almost 2 millions a yr..:scared:

clonesheep
Sep 17th, 2004, 06:55 PM
butttttt from Epigone...$50,000 a week is damn eek..
me wonders how Roddick can afford it...
it's like almost 2 millions a yr..:scared:

But top-level coaches don't work exclusively with a player all year round. Brad Gilbert probably trains Roddick for a couple of weeks per year, and travel with him to a few major events. That would be less than 10 weeks per year, or less than a half million in salary. I think Andy can afford that. Gilbert has also been coaching Tatiana Golovin. Since Golovin probably doesn't have the big money (yet), it could be a different kind of deal.

goldenlox
Sep 18th, 2004, 04:07 PM
What is the approximate salary???????????
I would guess that different coaches charge different salaries.

ZAK
Sep 18th, 2004, 05:42 PM
I would guess that different coaches charge different salaries.
really?

I was under the impression they all got the exact same salary http://wtaworld.com/ubb/wink.gif