PDA

View Full Version : A good tournament for Aranxta!

saki
Mar 13th, 2002, 10:09 PM
I know she lost today, but I think she did really well in this tournament. I wasn't expecting her to beat Kata or Daja, but she did & took a set off Seles. Looks like she's back! And with the clay season coming up, she could really do some damage!

:)

anabel
Mar 13th, 2002, 10:10 PM
Oh yes, her game is really back :D ĦĦVamos Arantxa!!

Julian
Mar 13th, 2002, 10:12 PM
Agreed. Arantxa played extremely well and I'm glad that she has got her confidence back. It was said that she was practicing A LOT with Emilio this week so I'm glad it paid off. I for one enjoyed the Arantxa-Monica match brought back lots of memories (I'm an oldie) ;) but is it me or did Arantxa's serve get better? 7 aces against one of the best returners of serve?!! I bet Daniela helped Arantxa on that and I bet Arantxa is also helping Daniela into reaching the SF.

Anyway it was so weird just last night I rewatched the 1995 Wimbledon final and when I look at the match today it looks like she got some of it back!! VAMOS ARANTXA!!!! GOOD LUCK IN MIAMI!!! :)

apoet29
Mar 13th, 2002, 10:14 PM
I'm glad to see ASV back. I didn't expect her to beat Daja or Kata. I worried when she lost so many first round matches in a row, but at this tournament, she seems to have gotten through that slump. Good luck to her in Miami.

tennisfreak
Mar 13th, 2002, 10:14 PM
yope, i thought the same after her match against Monica!

and i´m not just impressed by the results, i was especially impressed by the way she played today.

Vamos Arantxa! :bounce:

wave
Mar 13th, 2002, 10:17 PM
I hope that Arantxa gains confidence out of this tournament. She played really well and had a good match tactic which worked best of course in the second set, when she could dominate the groundies and was able to move Monica. That looked good for the clay season. And so many aces... and some forehand winners as well as her more usual backhand winners. I'm proud on her...

JonBcn
Mar 13th, 2002, 10:41 PM
I´ve said this in another thread as well, but I think we might all be getting ahead of ourselves. I´ve been a huge Arantxa fan since 1989, so I´ve seen this kind of thing before...a few bad tournaments then a good one and it´s "Arantxa´s back!".
It was certainly Arantxa´s best tournament for some time, but three or four years ago would have been considered a disaster - it was only a QF dont forget.
But anyway, kudos to Arantxa for perseverence and lets hope this does lead on well to the claycourt season; after some inital points to defend, she´s got a great opportunity to gain ranking places heading up to the French.

saki
Mar 13th, 2002, 10:51 PM
JonBcn, yeah I see what you're saying. Aranxta is so much better on clay than other surfaces that there is always a certain fluctuation in her results. But this time I was more worried than usual because (much as I hate to admit it) she is in the twilight of her career and I was concerned that she might be in terminal decline. Now, I realise that it was just another blip. Of course she's not back to where she was three or four years ago, but at least she won her first match this year... And if she can reach the quarters of a Tier 1 on hardcourt, she really can do some damage in the clay season.

On that note, does anyone know why she's playing Miami rather than Porto? It doesn't make sense to me... :confused:

JonBcn
Mar 13th, 2002, 10:58 PM
I think Porto´s the week after Miami, no? It must be as Miami has all the top 100 except about three players committed. I certainly hope so, as Arantxa has a lot of points to defend.

exoneuk
Mar 13th, 2002, 11:01 PM
*not entirely convinced*

Yes this is better than her more recent form but she's been one of the real threats on the tour since... God knows when... so this is getting there but... Oooh... I dunno! :o

thefreedesigner
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:15 AM
The one thing that impressed me was Arantxa's forehand. It was good today (er, yesterday!).

The last 3 or 4 times I've seen her play it's been shocking.... a real disgrace.

I have to also say that I'm not entirely convinced. Seles is of the 'old school' and her and Arantxa's tussles go back along way. ASV knows Seles' game has seen it however many many times before and thus, was ready for it. I thought she actually might win it.

It's when she comes up against the newer girls that I still feel she may found wanting.

But, like I said, she did play well all tournament. :)

JonBcn
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by thefreedesigner

I have to also say that I'm not entirely convinced. Seles is of the 'old school' and her and Arantxa's tussles go back along way. ASV knows Seles' game has seen it however many many times before and thus, was ready for it. I thought she actually might win it.

It's when she comes up against the newer girls that I still feel she may found wanting.
) [/B]

Good assessment, freedesigner! That didnt occur to me, but I think it´s the key.

PamShriverRockz
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Well I just hopes she keeps this form and confidence. We'll have to wait and see! Vamos Arantxa!! ;)