PDA

View Full Version : I want to Learn French! Please, advise!

Verba
Sep 15th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Hi everybody!

Since there're a few very good French tennis players I decided to start learning French. Maybe, you know some good websites helpful in learning French (for English or Russian speaking people). I'd greatly appreciate your advice!

martirogi
Sep 15th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Me too, I want to move to Paris one day

saby
Sep 16th, 2004, 11:42 AM
I think you should try with a book first.

French is hard even for french person, there are too much gramaticals rules to know :banghead: and when you will know some stuffs in french, try to chat with a french person...

That is all I can tell you :)

Bonne chance à toi ... (good luck to you)

:angel: :angel: :angel:

tennisrulz8
Sep 17th, 2004, 03:10 AM
One other thing you can do is enroll in a French class. That's the best way to learn any language. It is much easier with someone actually teaching you.

"Sluggy"
Sep 17th, 2004, 09:09 AM
i speak superfluent french and live in paris, though it is not my native language. id recomment starting with those phrase books, and instruction books, and some tapes. Then, you should find a movie or a tape of a movie, a cassette, of a story that you know well, i recommend the little mermaid. then listen to the story... you have to know the english version very well too. then you can follow the story in French. that worked great for me. if you want to discuss further, you can pm me. also corresponding by email in french will help.

xanctus
Sep 18th, 2004, 11:32 PM
agreed both tennisrulz8 and frogburger, however if you learn it from the book and take some courses only without using/speak it regularly I think it's still hard (this happens to any kind language actually)

Verba
Sep 19th, 2004, 01:39 PM
if you want to discuss further, you can pm me. also corresponding by email in french will help.
Thank you so much! :worship:

Shenanigans
Sep 24th, 2004, 11:06 PM
About.com is the best site I have found for learning French, but only usefull if you speak english well.

http://french.about.com/

But be warned it takes along time to master French, unless you are good languages.

tennisrulz8
Sep 25th, 2004, 01:08 AM
well, if you know other latin languages like Spanish it will be much easier to learn. There are many cognates and that way even if you don't know how to say it you can still understand some things.

Shenanigans
Sep 25th, 2004, 01:40 AM
well, if you know other latin languages like Spanish it will be much easier to learn. There are many cognates and that way even if you don't know how to say it you can still understand some things.

True, If your first language is Spanish or Italian you will pick up French quicker but parle français comme une vache espagnole. Just joking, but it all comes down to the pronouncation thing and you may be able to read french and understand what people are saying but to speak is the hardest of all. I suppose the same with any language.

PurpleQueen
Jan 23rd, 2005, 02:38 PM
I think you should try with a book first.

French is hard even for french person, there are too much gramaticals rules to know :banghead: and when you will know some stuffs in french, try to chat with a french person...

French isn't that hard to learn!
It's much more easy than german!
But hey...everybody knows that dutch-speaking people are good in learning other languages :o :cool: ;)
(lol I was just joking :lol: )

Harju.
Jan 23rd, 2005, 02:41 PM
French is difficult. So I toook French as elective thinking that perhaps one day I could talk to Momo or Tati. Then it turned out to be a little hard for me and unfortunately I have to drop out of the class. The lecturer suggested it'd be better for me :shrug:. I should have taken Dutch or German. It's kinda too late now. :p

PurpleQueen
Jan 23rd, 2005, 03:01 PM
Lol, german is much more difficult than French!
and dutch is pretty easy, but that's my mothertongue so it sounds a bit stupid to say that:)

Harju.
Jan 23rd, 2005, 03:02 PM
well other options are japanese, chinese and spanish. sound like none of them are easy. :p