PDA

View Full Version : Wildcards along the oz spring/summer !!

broncosven
Sep 15th, 2004, 03:08 AM
HEY ALL

wondering if anyone knows any WC recipents into any challenger/wta events yet ??

be interesting to see who gets em . . . as in my opinion only Sophie Ferguson really declared that she was worth the WC last year (all be it a year or too early)

Both Trudi and Casey also showed they can match it but injuries have kept them out for most of the year

ANY THOUGHTS ??????

nitocris_tiger
Sep 15th, 2004, 03:32 AM
I think you're pretty right. Sophie & Casey would have to be shoe-ins. As long as Lukazewicz doesn't get anything I'll be happy! Of course I wish her every success but last year was just a joke.

SM
Sep 15th, 2004, 07:54 AM
well...i think olivia winning the itf junior event recently, and duibravka winning the itf tournament recently, means they should also be shoe ins for some ofthe wc's probably wc for quallies at some of the wta events..

ozfan44
Sep 15th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Everyone Knows Where I Stand With Olivia
However I Will Be Pissed If Dubz Doesn't Get A Few Wta Wc's

Casey Should Get A Coupl And Hopefully They Will Be Nice To Trudi For Once In Her Career

azza
Sep 15th, 2004, 02:38 PM
The Sydney mens WC i can already predict for MD

Mark Todd and Chris

If its not Mark its gunna be

Wayne Todd Chris

Watch it come true ;)

broncosven
Sep 15th, 2004, 08:59 PM
The Sydney mens WC i can already predict for MD

Mark Todd and Chris

If its not Mark its gunna be

Wayne Todd Chris

Watch it come true ;)

Those are almost spot on !!

cause Todd and Chris went so good last year i dont think they would miss it and depending whehter or not the Scud plays then Wayne would receive it for sure . . . others might include Draper or Luzack ??

broncosven
Sep 15th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Everyone Knows Where I Stand With Olivia
However I Will Be Pissed If Dubz Doesn't Get A Few Wta Wc's

Casey Should Get A Coupl And Hopefully They Will Be Nice To Trudi For Once In Her Career

Casey has a couple in the bag like Sam 'if' shes needs any

If Trudi can come back from injury successfully she should have a chance

Dubz should also get a couple

ozfan44
Sep 17th, 2004, 08:28 AM
main draw wildcards for Australia Mens Satelite
Week One - QLD Uni

Chris Guccione
Michael Look
David Galic
Joel Kerley

azza
Sep 18th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Chris how rude taking up a wc :o

broncosven
Sep 18th, 2004, 09:57 AM
IF someone withdraws could Chris get in that way ?? as a GE or something like that ??

could give the WC to someone else

broncosven
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:11 PM
After watching the first challenger even though it was on clay my thoughts havent changed that much

i still believe that Jaslyn . . . Cindy . . . and possibly now Evie should get one

Without Casey, Trudi, Nicole K and Christina playing its hard to say who from here wont get one and throw in Sophie, Dubz, Monique and Mirelle there's gonna be some interesting choices

SM
Oct 4th, 2004, 12:36 AM
deeddee :) that is dani domnikovic will get 1

Mr_Molik
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:14 AM
i think we will get a better indication in mackay with a few more playing plus its on hardcourts

ozfan44
Oct 4th, 2004, 05:12 AM
well if the aussie open was next week my wilcards would go to
asian w/c, french w/c, Casey, Sophie, Jaslyn, Dubz, Cindy, Monique

if wheeler gets one i am gonna be even more pissed than i was with olivia getting one this year! and personally i think we should get rid of the french w/c and get the wimbledon one back!

Mr_Molik
Oct 4th, 2004, 09:28 AM
agree about wheels
but i think evie still deserves one

Mr_Molik
Oct 4th, 2004, 09:29 AM
agree also about getting rid of the RG wc and getting the wimbledon one back
most of our girls suck on clay

broncosven
Oct 4th, 2004, 11:53 AM
You are Spot on OZFAN !!

when u r for Tennis Australia head give me a call will ya !!

ozfan44
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:18 PM
well hopefully will have a job at tennis west within next 2 years and in a few years my aim is to be running some of these challenger events! any of you guys want a wildcard! lol

ozfan44
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Aussie Open 2005 Uncle Toby's Wildcard
Standings (Updated after Canberra)

1. Jaslyn Hewitt - 25
2. Evie Dominikovic - 20
3. Cindy Watson - 15
3. Daniella Dominikovic - 15
5. Lauren Breadmore - 7
5. Dubravka Cupac - 7
5. Monique Adamczak - 7
8. Sophie Ferguson - 3.5
8. Mirielle Dittmann - 3.5
8. Adriana Szili - 3.5
8. Natalie Tanevska - 3.5
8. Christina Horiatopoulos - 3.5
8. Emily Hewson - 3.5
14. Shayna McDowell - 1
14. Lisa D'Amelio - 1
14. Holly Cao - 1
14. Lauren Cheung - 1
14. Bianca Acquistapace - 1
14. Lara Giltinan - 1
14. Lara Picone - 1
14. Amanda Grahame - 1
14. Natasha Kersten - 1
14. Kate Pinchbeck - 1
14. Cassandra Barr - 1
14. Bronwyn Williams - 1
26. Bree Calderwood - 0.5
26. Julianne Welford - 0.5
26. Michelle Brycki - 0.5
26. Ewa Losinski - 0.5

The QLD Satelite Circuit for some strange reason does not count tawards the men's so i will start theirs after the first challenger/futures event in the coming weeks!

broncosven
Oct 4th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Thx Ozfan

yeah wouldnt mind a WC . . see if i can play Flip plz i reckon i can beat him !!

Mr_Molik
Oct 5th, 2004, 03:41 AM
:haha:

broncosven
Oct 5th, 2004, 04:02 AM
I no I no

i dont wanna beat mark it might drive him into retirement :p :eek:

No but thanks Again Ozfan . . . havin a continuing count will be good and cool to see how close Casey and perhaps Trudi (its possible??) will come to catching up

nitocris_tiger
Oct 5th, 2004, 04:07 AM
well if the aussie open was next week my wilcards would go to
asian w/c, french w/c, Casey, Sophie, Jaslyn, Dubz, Cindy, Monique

if wheeler gets one i am gonna be even more pissed than i was with olivia getting one this year! and personally i think we should get rid of the french w/c and get the wimbledon one back!
OK, if anyone reads what I post you will know that I think the sun shines out of Evie's arse but Cupac, Watson AND Adamzsak in front of Evie?? C'mon now! :rolleyes:

I like Wheels too but you couldn't see her getting one with her form.

TS
Oct 5th, 2004, 07:47 AM
LOL. I agree. People need to start realising that the likes of Cindy Watson and Monique Adamczak (as much as I like Monique) have as much chance of being given a main draw WC than I do of becoming the next Mother Teresa. The only way they'll get a WC is if they earn it themselves.

Evie will probably win the Uncle Toby's race, or win the WC play off. Either way she is in. Wheeler won't get one, and nor should she. However, I'd love to see her earn it herself, I think she deserves a chance to redeem herself in the main draw after some sucky draws (versus Martinez 01 and Clijsters 02).

Fans of Dittmann, Watson, Musgrave and all the other veterans (I wont call Cindy old because I am the same age as her ;)) need to realise they won't get diddley squat.

broncosven
Oct 5th, 2004, 09:39 AM
I know that they are older and its doubtful that Trudi or Mirelle will get one but i think if Cindy has a gone Challenger series she should get one

She has come back from injury and has had an encouraging year climbing back up the rankings

louloubelle
Oct 6th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Why Wheeler doesn't committ to these 25K's I'll never know. Her record in the US is at times poor - and therefore squanders opportunites for easy pts and a wildcard chance. Therefore no chance for a w/c whilst she doesn't play here.

Surely if Evie doesn't earn it herself they won't give her another freebie. She's had soooooooo many! and her loss to Jaslyn shows she's nowhere near her form of a few years back.

It'll be the young-uns again - Sophie, Casey, maybe Liv, Dubz or if Dani keeps impressing....... Would Hewitt with her profile get a freebie if she can't hold her UT lead?

The others will need to earn it as TS mentioned. Monique, Cyndi may need to pray for a even a quallie w/c.

Anyone think the field of 25K's isn't as strong as last year. (judging by MacKay) Doesn't seem to be the likes of Spears, Hazlett, Van Exel around this year??? Any overseas gals we should look out for?

TS
Oct 6th, 2004, 03:26 PM
I remember Christina Wheeler saying she enjoys playing in America because she loves the places she gets to visit and she feels comfortable there.

Yes, thats all well and good darling, but this is your job and you are not reaching your Key Performance Indicator targets...to reach those targets, bite the bullet, take a ride in the combi and trek on up to QLD and then SA and score some freebies. Your ranking (and confidence) will be the better for it :kiss:

Jaslyn may sneak in a main draw WC. Profile is bigger this year, plus she is actually *shock horror* posting some decent results. I think one more good run will seal it for her.

The SA leg of the challenger series is always tougher than QLD from memory. I think Sania Mirza was slated to play a couple, but may have withdrawn. Lucky for our girls she did ;)

Also, am I the only one that thinks this is Casey D's last big roll of the dice? This will be her 3rd WC (and yes she WILL get one, no doubt about it), and if she doesn't make the most of it, she will become another Wheeler. Forgotten at 20.

broncosven
Oct 7th, 2004, 12:07 AM
True about Jaslyn and Wheller

Casey has been ok in her past performances but needs that one break through to realise that she can play at that level

it might also be worth realising that alot of our girls and guys also tend to peak later in careers . . . but especially Casey and Christina will get there asses up the rankings

louloubelle
Oct 8th, 2004, 12:47 PM
I remember Christina Wheeler saying she enjoys playing in America because she loves the places she gets to visit and she feels comfortable there.

Yes, thats all well and good darling, but this is your job and you are not reaching your Key Performance Indicator targets...to reach those targets, bite the bullet, take a ride in the combi and trek on up to QLD and then SA and score some freebies. Your ranking (and confidence) will be the better for it :kiss:

Jaslyn may sneak in a main draw WC. Profile is bigger this year, plus she is actually *shock horror* posting some decent results. I think one more good run will seal it for her.

The SA leg of the challenger series is always tougher than QLD from memory. I think Sania Mirza was slated to play a couple, but may have withdrawn. Lucky for our girls she did ;)

Also, am I the only one that thinks this is Casey D's last big roll of the dice? This will be her 3rd WC (and yes she WILL get one, no doubt about it), and if she doesn't make the most of it, she will become another Wheeler. Forgotten at 20.If Wheels had to meet KPI's then she'd be out of a job!

I expect Casey D is a bit of a TA love child atm. I give her two years of w/c.

But it depends on the progress of Fergie, Dubz, Liv, Dani etc... who are the next kids on the freebie bus.

ozfan44
Oct 22nd, 2004, 01:50 PM
Updated as of Rockhampton SF

Aussie Open 05 Wildcard Race Standings

Ladies

*=more points still available this week

Evie Dominikovic - 60*
Cindy Watson - 37*
Jaslyn Hewitt - 27
Daniella Dominikovic - 25.5
Sophie Ferguson - 22*
Lauren Breadmore - 17.5
Dubravka Cupac - 17.5
Kate Pinchbeck - 17
Casey Dellacqua - 16
Emily Hewson - 11.5
Monique Adamczak - 10.5
Adriana Szili - 10.5
Mirielle Dittmann - 8
Natalie Tanevska - 3.5
Christina Horiatopoulos - 5.5
Lara Giltinan - 5
Lisa D'Amelio - 3
Nicole Sewell - 2
Lara Picone - 2
Bianca Acquistapace - 2
Natasha Kersten - 2
Cassandra Barr - 2
Tiffany Welford - 2
Jessica Engels - 1.5
Olivia Lukaszewicz - 1.5
Nicole Kriz - 1
Tyra Calderwood - 1
Bronwyn Williams - 1
Shayna McDowell - 1
Holly Cao - 1
Lauren Cheung - 1
Amanda Grahame - 1
Bree Calderwood - 0.5
Julianne Welford - 0.5
Michelle Brycki - 0.5
Ewa Losinski - 0.5
Julia Dzeidzic - 0.5

broncosven
Oct 23rd, 2004, 10:22 PM
Thx oxfan

Evie almost has it wrapped up

ozfan44
Nov 11th, 2004, 04:45 AM
PETER LUCZAK HAS BEEN GIVEN AN AUSSIE OPEN MAIN DRAW WILDCARD

WELL NOT REALLY GIVEN - EARNT!

Mr_Molik
Nov 11th, 2004, 06:01 AM
pete :worship:

broncosven
Nov 11th, 2004, 06:13 AM
Cool

Thats great for Pete !!

nitocris_tiger
Nov 11th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Updated as of Rockhampton SF

Aussie Open 05 Wildcard Race Standings

Ladies

*=more points still available this week

Evie Dominikovic - 60*
Cindy Watson - 37*
Jaslyn Hewitt - 27
Daniella Dominikovic - 25.5
Sophie Ferguson - 22*
Lauren Breadmore - 17.5
Dubravka Cupac - 17.5
Kate Pinchbeck - 17
Casey Dellacqua - 16
Emily Hewson - 11.5
Monique Adamczak - 10.5
Adriana Szili - 10.5
Mirielle Dittmann - 8
Natalie Tanevska - 3.5
Christina Horiatopoulos - 5.5
Lara Giltinan - 5
Lisa D'Amelio - 3
Nicole Sewell - 2
Lara Picone - 2
Bianca Acquistapace - 2
Natasha Kersten - 2
Cassandra Barr - 2
Tiffany Welford - 2
Jessica Engels - 1.5
Olivia Lukaszewicz - 1.5
Nicole Kriz - 1
Tyra Calderwood - 1
Bronwyn Williams - 1
Shayna McDowell - 1
Holly Cao - 1
Lauren Cheung - 1
Amanda Grahame - 1
Bree Calderwood - 0.5
Julianne Welford - 0.5
Michelle Brycki - 0.5
Ewa Losinski - 0.5
Julia Dzeidzic - 0.5Can someone update this again after Port Pirie? Ta :)
It would be Evie 1, Dani 2 wouldn't it? :p

AUSBOY
Nov 12th, 2004, 12:16 AM
Wildcards are getting easier and easier to work out!

Molik, Pratt & Stosur - Direct Entry
Evie will get the Uncle Tobys
Asian Wildcard - Mirza
French - ?????

Leaves 5 more!

Heading the list

Daniella Dominikovic
Casey Dellacqua
Cindy Watson (She will most likely be our 5th highest ranked Aussie behind Evie after the Challengers are over)
Sophie Ferguson

Then the 5th is the hard one to pick, will either go to Jaslyn(Frontrunner) or Olivia (Dunno what TA think of Olivia atm though), with Tiffany or Dubravka very slight chances.

Trudi and Wheeler wont get one, Trudi cos she'll be lacking match toughness and Wheeler cos she's going backwards.

Qualifying will go to Tiffany, Dubravka, Lauren for sure

Monique, Szili, Horiatopolous, Kriz, Musgrave, Wheeler, Hewson, Pinchbeck, Tanevska & Olivia would be the other contenders!

I dont think TA would dare not give a main draw wildcard to Cindy Watson. Cindy had a meeting with them early in the year to discuss wildcards with them after pushing a top ten player and not even getting a qualifying wildcard to the Aust Open. Given her strong rise up the ranks from 600's to around 250, and the likely fact that she'll be our 5th highest Aussie ranked behind Evie after the challengers, and the fact she has reached the 3rd round before, Im confident a main draw wildcard will be rightfully hers!

Mattographer
Nov 12th, 2004, 02:14 AM
Cindy Watson deserved one of those MD Wildcard! I hope TA would give one for her! :)

TS
Nov 12th, 2004, 03:16 AM
Who's been smoking the crack pipe again? Cindy Watson will NOT get a main draw WC, I think she'll be lucky to even get a qualifying one. Her only hope is to win the WC playoff next month.

Sure, she's worked hard to get back to the top 300, but why should a player that's treaded water for most of her career be seen to 'deserve' a wildcard?

Good luck to her though, I certainly wouldn't begrudge her one.

Daniella Dominikovic is almost a cerrtainty in my view. If Olivia L and Adriana Szili were good enough in the past, then I see no reason why she shouldn't.

Sophie Ferguson and Casey Dellacqua are definitely in. The other is a toss up between Christina Wheeler (you never know, they might give her a helping hand considering she was in the Fed Cup team and qualified for Wimbledon), Jaslyn Hewitt...and depending on their results in the next two weeks: Dubravka Cupac and Tiffany Welford.

Expect some shockers in qualifying. Don't be surprised to see little kids like Holly Cao and Tyra Calderwood get in :rolleyes:

AUSBOY
Nov 12th, 2004, 04:46 AM
Ur still one short TS, you say Daniella, Sophie, and Casey and then either Wheeler, Jaslyn, Cupac or Welford. Thats only 4!!

Half the reason I think Cindy will get one is that their just isnt anyone else good enough and she has outperformed all the above mentioned in the Aust Challenger Series so far with 4 out of the 6 being played.

After last years debarcle with Olivia losing 6-0 6-0 and the bad press TA got from Amanda Grahame publicly slagging them off for their wildcard decisions, and then Cindy calling a meeting with Tennis Aust, in which the outcome was the forming of a board of top 100 players (who'll get to give their input in wildcard allocation after their involvement in the Training Camp) Its seems more likely that at least one experienced player will get a md wildcard this year!!

Cindy has reached two S/F and one Q/F out of the 4 challengers so far which is a solid effort, she is coming second, in the race for the Uncle Tobys wildcard. She's outperformed Sophie, Lauren, Casey, Jaslyn and Daniela!

The scenario is different this year than in the past, Tennis Australia has to allocate 5 wildcards to players outside the top 250! They havent had to do that before to my knowledge, their have always been a couple of 120-250 players to put in with the inexperienced juniors, this year though their isnt!

rusty_red_head
Nov 12th, 2004, 05:58 AM
My wildcards

Evie- Challengers
Sophie and Danelllia - Juniors
Casey (hasn't been that brillant this year but shes got promise)
Cindy or Cupac (they might go for the younger generation

Qualies

Cindy Cupac (whoever doesn't get the main draw)
Oliva (she's won a junior title)
Szili (impoving everyone seems to think TA love her)
Wheeler (cuase of Wim)
Hewitt (has won a challenge. Sold efforts through out the year)
Someone who performs well in qaulies at our tournaments
and two juniors wouldn't be surprsied if it one was McDowell

broncosven
Nov 12th, 2004, 07:55 AM
My thoughts have never changed about the WC's

Direct Entry
Molik, Pratt, Stosur, Evie (fingers crossed)

Main Draw WC
*Evie (if she doesnt get DE) if she does promote Dubz to MD
*Casey
*Jaslyn
*Cindy
*Sophie
*Daniella

Qualifying Direct Entry
Wheller

Then Qualifying WC's
*Monique
*Dubz
*Lauren B
*Nicole K
*Christina H
*Olivia L
*Adriana S
*Emily H
*Junior (if Evie gets DE)
* (But if Trudi or McQuillian decided to play i reckon they would play in qualies aswell as both there protective rankings are aroudn there aint they??)

AUSBOY
Nov 12th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Bronco - Evie cant get direct entry into the main draw but she has all but won the Uncle Tobys wildcard!

Wheeler is currently ranked 301, no chance of direct entry into qualies for her!

Musgrave injury rank isnt high enough for direct entry into qualies, neither is McQuillans injury rank of 263!

louloubelle
Nov 12th, 2004, 10:42 PM
After last years debarcle with Olivia losing 6-0 6-0 and the bad press TA got from Amanda Grahame publicly slagging them off for their wildcard decisions, and then Cindy calling a meeting with Tennis Aust, in which the outcome was the forming of a board of top 100 players (who'll get to give their input in wildcard allocation after their involvement in the Training Camp) Its seems more likely that at least one experienced player will get a md wildcard this year!!

Cindy has reached two S/F and one Q/F out of the 4 challengers so far which is a solid effort, she is coming second, in the race for the Uncle Tobys wildcard. She's outperformed Sophie, Lauren, Casey, Jaslyn and Daniela!

The scenario is different this year than in the past, Tennis Australia has to allocate 5 wildcards to players outside the top 250! They havent had to do that before to my knowledge, their have always been a couple of 120-250 players to put in with the inexperienced juniors, this year though their isnt!

Is this true about the likes of Pratt, Molik, Stosur having a say in w/c allocation. Are TA kidding!! :rolleyes: :eek: Proves we haven't the right people in charge. How can fellow players have a say in this - opens the door for w/c for mates!!! Suck up to someone in the top 100 and you will get yourself a w/c!!! Wheeler and Stone are monties then ;)

This debate gets better each year, maybe because each year the 'non-deserving' get a better chance at a freebie.

If Watson met with TA then good on her. However the ball has always been in her court and she has a great opportunity TO EARN A W/C IN HER OWN RIGHT by kicking arse in playoff w/c. Yes it can be done!!!!!! The stellar field of Hewitt, Casey, Hewson, Dani, Dubz may make it hard - but she really should get this one.

Don't really think that a public slagging by Amanda Grahame (someone who barely play a WTA event outside of ACT these days) is going to give TA too many sleepless nights!

As for quallies shockers TS - yes expect two young babies to toddle around out there!!!! Can expect Gerard Healey's daughter Bridgette getting one soon - probably tied in with his channel 7 contract somehow!

Im presuming Evie the UT and giving Cyndi the benefit of the doubt and will win the w/c playoff!!

Main Draw
Evie - UT
Cindy - W/C Playoff
Casey
Sophie
Daniellea
Last one - I reckon Hewitt - becoz her brother is playing sooooo well!

Quallies:
Wheeler (freebie)
Lauren
Emily
Szili
Dubz
Tiffany
Liv
And a junior shocker!!!

Now say if someone else wins the w/c playoff like Casey (which she'd be the next bet).

Evie, Casey, Sophie, Dani, Hewitt and........ I reckon like TS - Wheeler may get a charity one for being in the Fed Cup team

The Watson will probably be the lucky recipient in the quallies.

broncosven
Nov 13th, 2004, 06:29 AM
Sorry Ausboy thought evie was an outside chance at Direct . . . well as u say Uncle Tobys is hers !!

Shame about Racheal and Trudi

hayden_tennis
Nov 13th, 2004, 08:10 AM
my predicitons for aus open wildcard.
well they always give at least 2 of them to girls who hav never playd main draw it before (ie olivia and sophie) so im going with tiffany welford and jaslyn hewitt. then the other 4 will be dominikovic (circuit winner), cindy watson (wildcard playoff winner) and then wheeler (only cause she hasnt had one for a wile and qualified for wimbledon) and Sophie. i dont reckon casey will get one.. 2 years and no win and her performances this year havent been that good. i reckon hewson, breadmore, dubrvaka and someone like cao could get one too maybe.

TS
Nov 13th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Am I the only one that thinks Cindy Watson is not going to win this play off thing? :confused:

If the Australian Open was tomorrow, and I was in charge ( :hearts: ), this is what I'd do. Keep in mind, I'm not taking the WC play off into consideration as it's too difficult to pre-empt that result, so just pretend it doesn't exist in TS' tennis australia.

MD
*Evie Dominikovic - Uncle Toby's.
*Christina Wheeler - Needs a lifeline, and I'll give her one for a few of reasons. a)her Wimbledon result, b)only two prior appearances so can't be accused of being a WC hog and c)Fed Cup selection. It would seem odd for a Fed Cup team member to miss the Open altogether.
*Sophie Ferguson - Self explanatory.
*Casey Dellacqua - Running out of chances, and I'm hesitant to give it to her, but who else would take her spot?
*Daniella Dominikovic - A impressive kick start to (what was) a stalled career!
*Tiffany Welford - after Port Pirie ranking will get a BIG boost, and this will put her as a near certainty. So there you go.

Qualifying (assuming there are 8 spots to give).

*Cindy Watson - I know you all love her, but I would shy away from giving a 26 year old another chance in the MD, unless she earned it herself.
*Lauren Breadmore - Only because she has won her first round matches the last two years.
*Jaslyn Hewitt - Does deserve a qualifying WC, and probably 'next in' for the MD one.
*Dubravka Cupac - A shoe in for a QWC, and I'd put her in as a reserve for an MD one.
*Emily Hewson - Rapid rise up the rankings after returning from injury. Deserves a shot.
*Jessica Engels - One of the younger ones that hasn't had a shot before. Quite talented...but untried.
*Natalie Tanevska - Ditto above
*Olivia Lukaszewicz - Last roll of the dice.

MISSING THE CUT

*Monique Adamczak - My favourite of the Aussie's, but sadly has gone a backward step this year. TS' 'TA' doesn't reward this (unless your name is Christina Wheeler *cough* yes I know the double standard I've created *cough*).
*Christina Horiatopoulos - Likewise. However, replace going a backward step with simply falling off the radar completely.
*Adriana Szili - Has had her chances, and I wouldn't be in a rush to give her another one, despite the fact she's learning how to win again.
*Nicole Kriz - Unfortunately injuries ruined her momentum.
*Trudi Musgrave - Same goes here...don't know if she'll be ready anyway.

Nitpick at will ;)

AUSBOY
Nov 13th, 2004, 11:49 PM
Surely you have to put Jaslyn ahead of Tiffany for a main draw wildcard!! She's a much bigger drawcard than Tiffany and will generate more publicity

Tiffany has done nothing before Port Pirie in these Aussie challengers, at least Jaslyn has reached a Q/F as well her win, plus she had an impressive run in the UK (Final and Semi final!) just prior to the Aussie Circuit

TS
Nov 14th, 2004, 01:29 AM
Reason: Tiffany is 19, Jaslyn almost 22. My logic is, if they have similar rankings, go with the younger ones.

AUSBOY
Nov 14th, 2004, 01:34 AM
Also Cindy Watson has never been given a main draw wildcard to Aust Open, she's always earnt them of her own back through the Challenger series.

AUSBOY
Nov 14th, 2004, 01:43 AM
Until this week in Port Pirie, Tiffany Welford hadnt beaten a single top 300 ranked player all year!!!!!!

AUSBOY
Nov 14th, 2004, 01:44 AM
Oh yeah and Happy Birthday TS :D

ozfan44
Nov 14th, 2004, 01:45 AM
Just look at the draws Tiff has had also, not the best luck around!

I'm sorry but in Ozfan's TA Christina Wheeler can have SFA!
No way does she deserve a Main Draw wildcard - what a waste if she get's 1
I might be able to see her getting a qualies wc at the very best!
Come on, she's played like crap, and now she's not even playing at all sorry but this is absolutely pathetic!

I would like to see Trudi get a qualies one but i doubt it will happen!

BTW Evie is still an outside chance at making aussie open Direct!

So mine are

Main Draw

Evie Dominikovic
Daniella Dominikovic
Sophie Ferguson
Casey Dellacqua
Cindy Watson
Tiffany Welford

Qualifying Wildcards

Lauren Breadmore
Jaslyn Hewitt
Dubravka Cupac
Emily Hewson
Trudi Musgrave
Natalie Tanevska
Olivia Lukaszewicz - OMFG did i just write that name!!!
Jade Hopper - lol only joking!
Shayna McDowell or Jessica Engels

broncosven
Nov 14th, 2004, 03:32 AM
Nice comments TS, Ausboy and Ozfan

Be interesting to see how accurate we all are . . for now i reckon the only Certainty would be Evie Dominikovic from the Uncle Tobys

next obvioulsy being Casey, Dani and Sophie

( But im confused some of u say Evie can make it in Direct and others say she cannot . . thearectically she needs a lot of points and losing Port P doesnt help but is it a chance and lets not forget lots of players pull out with Injury in the beginning of the year )

AUSBOY
Nov 14th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Evie wont make it!

If she wins the last two challengers at best she can hope for a ranking of about 125!

Also given the timing, usually the ranking cut off is prior to the final challengers points being added.

So I repeat Evie has basically has like 0.000001% of getting in direct when the initial cut off is made!

Evie's only chance really is if she plays Dubai $75K and wins it, then she might move to the top of the next in list and get in with a late withdrawal!!

I'd love to see Evie get in direct and see another also get the Aust Unity Wildcard!

chris1897
Nov 14th, 2004, 09:20 AM
hey,
if i were in charge of the wildcards, id giv em 2:

MD - e.dominikovic
watson
hewitt
ferguson
d.dominikovic
dellacqua

Qua - wheeler
breadmore
welford
cupac
hewson
szili
lukaszewicz
pinchbeck

AUSBOY
Nov 14th, 2004, 09:38 AM
No one has considered the possibility of Jelena Dokic requesting a wildcard!!! She still has her Australian passport.

Mattographer
Nov 14th, 2004, 10:09 AM
No one has considered the possibility of Jelena Dokic requesting a wildcard!!! She still has her Australian passport.
But she told last month that she won't return to Australia once again in January.

TS
Nov 14th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Oh yeah and Happy Birthday TS :D

grmbl
Nov 14th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Michaella Krajicek said that she will get een quallieWC for the Ozzie Open...

ozfan44
Nov 14th, 2004, 11:48 PM
i don't see why

thought maybe Shahar Peer was junior champ last year so she would possibly get one
oh well, another wildcard that could of went to a aussie, wasted!

Wildcards for Nuriootpa this week
MD: Hewitt, Breadmore, Cupac (They must like her now!), Picone

grmbl
Nov 15th, 2004, 12:38 AM
i don't see why

thought maybe Shahar Peer was junior champ last year so she would possibly get one

Peer (Winner) and Vaidisova (RU) are already in the Qualliedraw and Maindraw..

ozfan44
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:14 AM
Peer (Winner) and Vaidisova (RU) are already in the Qualliedraw and Maindraw..
ok yep i just looked at that ;)

broncosven
Nov 15th, 2004, 07:31 AM
Junior winner always get a qualifying WC though so its never been there for an aussie anyhow

AUSBOY
Nov 15th, 2004, 08:05 AM
I'd have to say now after Tiffanys win that she's looking a lot better for a main draw wildcard.

TS
Nov 15th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Yep. She'll be up to about the 300-310 mark now. Considering she's still only a teen and has not played in the main draw before, I'd say she's practically a certainty.

broncosven
Nov 15th, 2004, 09:41 AM
She has certainly done well and if she lucked out with a few easier draws in the earlier challengers she might even be higher !!

ozfan44
Nov 15th, 2004, 10:49 AM
i just hope she can continue on with her good form again for the next two weeks so she can continue her rise

AUSBOY
Nov 15th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Yeah about 310-315 for Welford in a weeks time.

I wouldnt say she is a certainty yet, but its looking good, have to wait and see what happens in the next two challengers first!

broncosven
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:12 AM
Evie Dominikovic’s outstanding success on the Uncle Tobys Tour, Australia’s Challenger, Futures and Satellite circuit, has secured her a wildcard into the main draw of Australian Open 2005.

The 24-year-old from New South Wales was the stand out performer during the first half of the Uncle Tobys Tour, winning four of the six tournaments (Mackay, Rockhampton, Nuriootpa and Mount Gambier), and finishing runner-up to Jaslyn Hewitt at Canberra.

SO Evie has the 1st for the Womens !! . . Shame she didnt make it in on Direct Entry . . missed out by about 15 or so places i think (maybe well get lucky and a few will withdraw injured ??)

TS
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:10 AM
About 15 players will have to withdraw for her to make it.

Mr_Molik
Nov 30th, 2004, 10:36 AM
:worship: congrats evie uve earnt it :worship: she should be aiming for direct entry at the other 3 slams next yr

Cyandream
Dec 1st, 2004, 05:01 AM
LOL. I agree. People need to start realising that the likes of Cindy Watson and Monique Adamczak (as much as I like Monique) have as much chance of being given a main draw WC than I do of becoming the next Mother Teresa. The only way they'll get a WC is if they earn it themselves.

Maybe you can help me here. I've only seen Monique play once. It was this year at College Park, MD (USA) and she was having a great run. She had made it through quallies up to the semi-finals where she lost to Olga Poutchkova. I really liked her game, she was aggressive came to the net a lot, had good deep shots. Both sets she led Olga by quite a bit, but then just went a way and ended up losing in a tie break and 5-7. Is this typical of her game? Because it seemed from her playing style that she should be winning a lot more, but it appears to me she's purchased some "tight fitting neck jewelry, because that match was lost by her as much as it was won by Olga if not more.

broncosven
Dec 1st, 2004, 06:23 AM
Monique has been havin a dry run lately . . .as most players she has good days and bad days but she has a good allround game

TS
Dec 1st, 2004, 07:15 AM
Hi Cyandream :)

Monique has bucketloads of talent and potential, but unfortunately her go for broke game hasn't really paid dividends :sad:

I've seen her play a couple of times and have often wondered why she has lingered in the 300's for most of her still young career, because she has the ability to be a lot higher. Her shot selection isn't the greatest, but she has all the weaponry to deliver the results. Unfortunately we're yet to see any of that :confused: She has purple patches every now and then, but consistency seems to be lacking (as is the case with a lot of our girls).

I don't think you'll find anyone on this board that would love it if she was to breakthrough on the tour more than me. I'm waiting for the day...lol.

SM
Dec 1st, 2004, 09:27 PM
i agree terry. monique isgood enough to be out of the challengers and playing the main tour IMO but she will eventually get there