PDA

View Full Version : The Tournament of Her Career: Emmanuelle Gagliardi

Volcana
Mar 13th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Started Indian Wells 2002 ranked #70.
Has only ONCE ever made it as far as the third round of a GS.
Has never made it to a Tier I quarterfinal.
Has never won a WTA tournament.

Her draw was easy....

r1 78 SVENSSON (78)
r2 24 Angeles MONTOLIO
r3 47 Janette HUSAROVA
r4 39 Anastasia MYSKINA
QF 57 Anna SMASHNOVA
SF 26 Daniela Hantuchova

.... for a top ten player. Emmanuelle, however, started this tournament ranked #70. She only played one player ranked below her, and that was in the first round. We're looking at the performance of Emmanuelle Gagliardi's tennis life. Evn if she loses to Hantuchova inthe semis, she'll jump to #46.

I'd say congratulations are in order.

saby
Mar 13th, 2002, 07:43 PM
I would say finally !!

she's pretty good, good luck !!

:angel: :angel: :angel:

AUSBOY
Mar 13th, 2002, 09:49 PM
This is a stupid thread!

Gagliardi is still relatively new to the tour and it is unlikely that this is going to be the best tournament of her career unless of course she beats Hantuchova tomorrow :p then maybe I would agree with you!

I have been saying for a while Gagliardi is very talented. She first came to my attention last year at the 2001 Australian Open where she saved 2 match points in her first round match over Annabel Ellwood. Both girls played awesome tennis. Gagliardi in my opinion hits a forehand as hard as Tulyaganova, has a great powerful serve, she's very consistent not making a lot of errors and can volley very well also. The thing that really stands out though is her mental toughness. She fights really hard like players Arantxa, Schiavone, Kournikova etc and is easily top 30 material!

After witnessing Gagliardi's tough win last year she then backed it up with another win in the 2nd round of the Australian Open over the number 5 seed Conchita Martinez, this time she also came from behind saving two match points again and winning. Unfortunately last year Gagliardi's year wasn't as successful due to a few leg strain injuries that affected her play.

This year again she has started of her year successfully pushing Anna Kournikova to 7-5 in the 3rd in her Quarter Final in Auckland, then at the Australian Open she saved match points before beating Elena Likhovtseva. i the 2nd round she really only lost to Cindy Watson due to a leg injury.

This tournament has seen her continue her steady progression up the rankings, she's already moved up 50 places this year from the 90's to now 46 if she loses to Hantuchova. She hasn't had an easy ride to get to the semi's here, sure she hasn't met any of the big guns, but there were hardly any of them playing here anyway. She has had some very impressive straight sets wins over the very in form players Husarova, Myskina and Smashnova that are also screaming up the rankings.

I think its time more people on the board give Emmanuelle some respect for her ability, she isn't a (no offence) Gersi or Nemeckova or the likes that float around 60-150 because they have no real weapons, she is a lot better than that, so people take note! Gagliardi will be top 30 by year end providing she remains injury free!

Ryan
Mar 13th, 2002, 10:41 PM
Gagliardi is still relatively new to the tour and it is unlikely that this is going to be the best tournament of her career

Ugh. It will be the best tournament to her career FOR NOW. Volcana never stated Gagliardi wouldn't have a better tournament, she merely meant it will be the best tournament of her career currently.

Doris Loeffel
Mar 13th, 2002, 10:46 PM
Ausboy
You can't call her a newcomer either beeing almost 26 already!!
Just to bad she had quite a lot of injuries hindering her to really break through earlier.

Agree with you that she has top 30 potential if not more!!

And yes it's her best tournament so far!!

Just check the stats:

Emmanuelle GAGLIARDI – (SUI)
(ga-lee-AR-dee)

Residence: Monte Carlo, Monaco
Birthdate: July 9, 1976
Birthplace: Geneva, Switzerland
Height: 5'7 1/2" (1.71 m)
Weight: 130 lbs. (59 kg)
Plays: Right-handed (two-handed backhand)

Sanex WTA Tour singles titles: 0
Sanex WTA Tour doubles titles: 0
Grand Slam titles: 0
ITF Women's Circuit singles titles: 7
2002 Prize Money:
Career Prize Money:
2002 W-L Record:
Career W-L Record:

Sanex WTA Tour RANKING (SEASON-ENDING, SINGLES)
2000-97; 1999-68; 1998-105; 1997-77; 1996-110; 1995-232; 1994-330; 1993-484; 1992-669
HIGHEST SINGLES RANKING:

HIGHEST DOUBLES RANKING:

GRAND SLAM (SINGLES) HISTORY
W-L 02 01 00 99 98 97 96 95 94 93 92
AUSTRALIAN 4-5 2r 3r 2r -- 1r 1r -- -- -- -- --
ROLAND GARROS 4-5 -- 1r 2r 2r 2r 2r -- -- -- -- --
WIMBLEDON 3-5 -- 3r 1r 1r 1r 2r -- -- -- -- --
UNITED STATES 0-5 -- 1r 1r 1r 1r 1r -- -- -- -- --

SANEX CHAMPIONSHIPS HISTORY
W-L 01 00 99 98 97 96 95 94 93 92
SINGLES 0-0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
DOUBLES 0-0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS - SINGLES
WINNER (0 Sanex WTA Tour): 2001 – ITF/Largo-USA; 1998 - ITF/Welwyn-GBR; 1997 -
ITF/Austin-USA; 1996 - ITF/Florianopolis-BRA, ITF/Salzburg-AUT; 1995 - ITF/Istanbul II-
TUR; 1993 - ITF/Nicolosi-ITA
SEMIFINALIST (4): 2000 - Sao Paulo; 1999 - Cairo; 1998 - Maria Lankowitz; 1997 - Bol
QUARTERFINALIST (7): 2002 – Auckland; 2001 – Japan Open; 1999 - Madrid, 's-
Hertogenbosch, Portschach; 1997 - Palermo; 1996 - Karlovy Vary

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS - DOUBLES
FINALIST (1): 2001 - Auckland (w/Schett)
SEMIFINALIST (6): 2001 - Casablanca (w/Nemeckova), Bali (w/Tu); 1999 - Cairo
(w/Marosi), Portschach (w/Marosi); 1998 - Palermo (w/Serra-Zanetti); 1997 - Bol (w/Reb.
Jensen)

ADDITIONAL: Swiss Fed Cup Team 1997-2000. Swiss Olympic Team 2000.

2002 IN DETAIL
* January – Reached QF of Auckland with wins over Janette Husarova and Kristina Brandi;
l. in 2r of Hobart to seventh seed Amy Frazier; ranked No. 65, upset No. 37-ranked
Elena Likhovtseva 6-1, 6-7(7), 8-6 in 1r of Australian Open before suffering a 3-6, 7-
5, 6-2 2r loss to No. 194-ranked wild card Cindy Watson

CAREER IN REVIEW
* January - Earned her first win over a Top 5 player at the Australian Open, upsetting
No. 5 Conchita Martinez to reach her first Grand Slam 3r
* May - As a qualifier into the Italian Open, stunned sixth seed (13th-ranked) Kim
Clijsters to reach the 3r
* September - Upset fourth seed Meilen Tu in the 1r at the Japan Open en route to a QF
finish
* October - Defeated the top two seeds to win the singles title at a challenger event
in Largo (USA), and was awarded the doubles title with Erika de Lone after it was
canceled due to rain, leading 4-3 in the third set
* SF at Sao Paulo
* Member of the Swiss Olympic team
* Collected second career win over a Top 20 player at Cairo, defeating No. 17 Natasha
Zvereva en route to her third career SF
* Lost the longest tiebreaker in Sanex WTA Tour history, 21-19, at Madrid in the first
set against Tara Snyder, but recovered to win the match 6-7, 6-1, 6-1
* Ranked No. 75, upset No. 13 and top seed Sandrine Testud at 's-Hertogenbosch to reach
the QF, her second win of the year over a Top 20 player and third of career
* Recorded then-best victory at Roland Garros, downing world No. 12 Nathalie Tauziat of
France in the 1r
* Won an ITF title for a fourth straight year, in Welwyn (GBR)
* Won two ITF events in two months; ranking jumped more than 100 spots from No. 271 to

PERSONAL
Coached by Pier and Simone Restelli…A baseline player who prefers hard courts; best
shot is the drop shot…Father, Alessandro, is a bank director; mother, Renata Turci, is
a homemaker; has an older sister, Monica; older brother, Alex, is a good tennis
player...Graduated from high school in 1992...Favorite movie is Forrest Gump; favorite
song is I Believe...Self-described as funny and friendly...Admires Chris Evert for
being a lady on the court, and admires Jimmy Connors for his mental toughness...Enjoys
visiting Rome because she loves the atmosphere and feels at home.

Volcana
Mar 14th, 2002, 12:07 AM
AUSBOY - Perhaps rather than the thread being stupid .... :)

The WTA gives her a ranking as early as 1992. TEN years ago. The itf only gives her results back to 1995. Either way, that's not 'relatively new to the tour'. That's a veteran who's been around for a long time.

This literally IS her best ever result. The semis of a tier I. She never even made a Tier I QUARTER-final before. She's never even been in a WTA final. Even a Tier V. In 88 tournaments. In seven years. (Ten since she first had a ranking.)

If you think the thread is stupid, don't post. It's a waste of your time. If you can't get your facts straight, don't post. It's a waste of our time. And calling things 'stupid' while not bothering to check your facts leaves people associating a certain adjective with your name. Food for thought, n'est-ce pas?

disposablehero
Mar 14th, 2002, 12:20 AM
Monica Seles is also relatively new to the tour.

Williams Rulez
Mar 14th, 2002, 01:16 AM
AUSBOY it'll be nice if you would read and understand the posts for one. :rolleyes:

Scotso
Mar 14th, 2002, 01:25 AM
To clarify, as is shown in the post she's made a GS 3rd round twice.

Last year she saved multiple match points to down Conchita Martinez at the Australian Open. She likes doing that.

Allez Emmanuelle!

Jakeev
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:48 AM
Now Ausboy don't you feel........STUPID?????:kiss:

On a serious point Gagliardi is just following a typical pattern that is happening on tour: It takes a little while for players to find success after being on tour for awhile.

Frankly, I think it's great we have a Gagliardi on tour. Makes things more interesting.

Linton
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:49 AM
Shes my player on the ETA Boards. I was astounding to find out her age. 25!! That somewhat is discomfoting to me coz if shes going to start playing this awesome tennis now well theres only gonna be a few more years of it. MAKE YOUR MOST OF IT ALLEZ EMANUELEE

Bright Red
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:13 AM
Without taking too much away from Gagliardi, she owes a great deal to luck. After all, IW was extremely watered down this year. Had this not been the case, then this probably wouldn't have been the tournament of her career.

Crazy Canuck
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:25 AM
Bright Red - why can't we just celebrate her achievement without having to talk about the "weak" field ?

As Volcana pointed out - she only beat one player ranked below her - the rest were ranked higher than she.

Regardless of who did or did not decide to show up, what she has done is remarkable, and she deserves props for that - not excuses.

Crazy Canuck
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:27 AM
YOur entitled to point out what you please of course - but there are 2342343 threads on how mucht the feild here apparently "sucks", so its frusterating when these comments are put into the one thread that is giving credit where it is well overdue.

Bright Red
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:40 AM
Your point is well taken, Becca. However, the weak field is a very important point in the discussion. Granted Gagliani beat players ranked higher than her, I doubt she could have made it this far had the field been strong. It would surprise me if she could beat the top players. Everyone talks about giving credit to the player. I think luck should be given credit for opening up the field, and making all of this possible.

joao
Mar 14th, 2002, 05:41 AM
I agree with bright red! There's no way in hell gagliardi would have made this far in a "normal" TierI! It's good for Emmanuelle, for her ranking and her purse that she got into the SF at IW...... :) but to take her run at this year's IW to predict that she'll be in the top30 soon......that's a little too much of a stretch IMHO!:confused: After all, she's been on tour for quite a while now, and never has cracked the top50! This will be her 1st time in 7 years!!! Hopefully she will keep this level of play cuz' this SF at IW (tons of points for someone ranked #70) might not be a good thing next year if she has a let down!!!

Anyways, she should enjoy it while it lasts....... because I wouldn't put too much hope on her against Hantuchova!:)

V.Melb
Mar 14th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Hey! Adriana Gersi has very nice groundies! :kiss:

GO ADRIANA GERSI! :D

Scotso
Mar 14th, 2002, 06:51 AM
"No way in hell" is majorly extreme.

Emmanuelle can beat any of the top players on any given day. She's good. She doesn't do it because usually she can't keep it together, so what? Stop insulting her. She's in a tier 1 semifinal and that's more success than you all will ever have so get over your jealously for once and be happy for her.

Jakeev
Mar 14th, 2002, 07:17 AM
Well maybe Gagliardi will need to to beat a top player to at least get the confidence to do it more often.

Hantuchova could be her best bet but frankly, I think Martina or Monica will have way too much game for her.

Scotso, I think you are taking some of the comments a little too personally. Yeah Indian Wells has been a great tournament for Gagliardi; but had it been a stronger field it is more likely she would have been gone before the round of 16.

Volcana
Mar 14th, 2002, 12:09 PM
BTW, I've done a little research, and this field ISN'T weak for a 'normal', Tier I. It's weak for THIS Tier I, which is the biggest and richest. This Tier I had five top ten players.
Toray Pan Pacific is a 'normal' Tier I. Guess how many top ten players they had this year?

Three. Hingis, Dokic, Seles. Lindsay was supposed to be there too. That would have been four.

Let's not even get into the fields at Moscow.

ajayares
Mar 14th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Volcana
BTW, I've done a little research, and this field ISN'T weak for a 'normal', Tier I. It's weak for THIS Tier I, which is the biggest and richest.

Since we like to present the CORRECT FACT as you seem to have pointed out in Ausboy post.. perhaps you should just do a little more research when doing your posts.. we wouldn't want to make any mistakes now, since we are so critical of others...

Indian Wells might be worth $2,100,000 but what about Miami??? The last time I checked it was worth $2,860,000.. so I would class that event as the biggest and richest Tier 1 event. wouldn't you??

Vanity
Mar 14th, 2002, 01:58 PM
It's very easy to tell in here who are the real fans of tennis, and then oppositely who are fanatical bitter fans of the two hairy ones. :rolleyes:

sartrista7
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Congratulations Emmanuelle. :D

But no good luck, I'm rooting for Daniela to take the tournament. :p

Volcana
Mar 14th, 2002, 07:05 PM
ajayares - Thank you for the correction. have a nice day. :)

Volcana
Mar 14th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention in the first post. She's gorgeous.

louisa2k2
Mar 14th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Martina recently said in an interview that galiardi started on the tour about the same time she did. I like Galiardis game its similar to martina's in some ways - she has an all court game but its really cool that shes doing well.
An all swiss final would be cool but i think hantuchova will come thru and i dunno about hingis/seles it depends on conditions and how there playing.

Scotso
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:45 PM
She had her chances today, but couldn't pull it out. Still, she should be very proud of herself.

:kiss: Manu!

Mitch01
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:51 PM
Wow...I have to say I am very impressed with Gagliardi! I hadn't really seen a lot of her before today's match, and from what I saw, I definitely was impressed. For one, she stayed very calm and focused throughout the entire match, except maybe for the very last game when she was broken. She moved really well, anticipated well, had great touch, was very solid from the baseline...she doesn't have the power of Hantuchova but she was able to always put pressure on her. Anyways, to anyone who said this semifinal match would be boring because of two low-ranked players, well this was one of the most enjoyable matches I've seen in a while! It's always fun to watch players who don't get much attention (although Daniela is now) battle in an important match!

AUSBOY
Mar 15th, 2002, 12:24 AM
I apologise for getting confused with Gagliardi's age!

I thought she was 22!! I didn't realise she was 25!! :eek:

She has actually been playing full time on the circuit now for 5 years (seems like she beat Tauziat at French Open only the other day!), I had originally thought 3-4 so yes she is a little more experienced than I had perhaps acknowledged. She certainly is still certainly no veteran!!! Just because she's 25 doesn't make her a veteran! Just like you wouldn't call Celine Beigbeder at 27 a veteran either! She certainly has had enough injuries that have hampered her progression, and its only now that her ability is finally starting to be noticed!

Thank you ajayares! I am human and can make mistakes, i didn't research her birthdate before posting, it doesn't mean I dont know my tennis!