PDA

View Full Version : Monica will be seeded#4 for the French

Rollo
Mar 13th, 2002, 05:39 PM
A casual glance at the rankings tells me she's almost certain to be seeded at #4. Lindsay won't be back for the French, and her other competition(Clijsters and Henin with 21 events and Dokic with 29!) will be hard pressed to
keep the points they have. Henin and Dokic have a LOT to defend, at the worst Seles will have a #5 seed.
Meanwhile, Monica has nothing to defend-her best 3 events between now and Paris are all added straight on. :bounce:

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 13th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Kim doesn't have anything much to defend until RG

she just won a few matches on clay until she got to the faster courts in Paris.

I'm sure Kim will do alot better this time.

#4 could be on still.

Rollo
Mar 13th, 2002, 06:28 PM
You're right Boiled-Clijsters will be the one main obstacle to that #4 seed. Given Kim's questionable health and Monica's prowess on clay though, I still think she'll get it:) What she does with it is something else of course, she still looks a few kilos overweight(for a tennis pro)to me to go all the way.

Monica_Rules
Mar 13th, 2002, 07:03 PM
GO MONICA:D

Tennisace
Mar 13th, 2002, 07:20 PM
Monica currently has 2969 (as of the QF of Indian Wells)

Kim will have something like 3239 (taking off 83 from Bol, 55 from Miami, and adding 2 points to replace them)

Which means that there is a 270 point difference between them.

Monica seems to be playing Sarasota, Amelia Island, Family Circle Cup, and Italian Open.

Kim looks like she'll only play red clay events in Europe, those being Rome, Berlin, (Bol).

It looks like Kim needs to do well in all her events in order to hold off Monica for that No. 4 seed.

Interestingly enough Martina is in a bit of trouble herself....she might not get a top 4 seed. Taking off Family Circle (282), Berlin (170), Rome (182), and Miami (185) she'll have 2779!

So it looks like a three way battle to round out the top 4 seeds! :D

Jarrett
Mar 13th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Monica is not playing Sarasota. She said in an interview that after Mamai she would have a week off and that she was really looking forward to it.

Rollo
Mar 13th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Good for her Jarrett;) She said she had overscheduled hesrself after she beat Ai the other night. My jaw dropped when I heard that! The ranking will come-pace yourself Monica. I know others will disagree, but IMO Clijsters, Henin, Dokic(especially Jelena) and Hingis have all overplayed until injured or stale.

disposablehero
Mar 13th, 2002, 11:22 PM
I wouldn't be so sure. We are much to soon into the season to categorically say that she won't be seeded #3.

mishar
Mar 14th, 2002, 01:46 AM
OR #2, for that matter.

Jennifer has to defend 300 points at Miami, 400 points at Charleston, 300 points at Berlin. The only tournament she's scheduled to play where she's not defending a lot of points is Rome. However, I think she'll probably be #2. However, if Monica goes on a tear on the clay....

Miranda
Mar 14th, 2002, 08:23 AM
really :D , then its perfect :drool: :bounce:

ChrisGermany
Mar 14th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Martina is a strange story these days.

I believe, deep down in herself, she wants nothing more than becoming no1 again, but she does strange things to achieve that : She skips events where she has points to defend and she adds events where there are lots of rivals for the title.

Thinking of Indian Wells, she will get the title if not Monica, but in Miami, Berlin and Rome, she might be confronted with ALL rivals - thinking of Charleston and Amelia, there is only ONE Williams playing in each event and playing 3 in a row in Europe won´t make her fitter

Why am I telling you this ? Monica not defending a lot on green clay has a big chance to close the gap between her and Martina if she beats Martina in Indian Wells or goes deep into the tournament in Miami and/or Amelia/Charleston ; Martina winning the title this week cannot escape that much compared to an in-form Seles who is hard to beat for the two forthcoming green clay titles

Rollo
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Chris-sorry, but I disagree 100%. Martina may FINALLY have her priorities where they should always have been, on winning slams-not the title of whatever(substitute any title from Doha to tier ones). Slams first. Martina's consistency in other events would then take care of #1

moby
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:39 AM
if martina doesnt get a top 4 seed in RG, i can imagine the top 4 seeds dreading her to be in their quarter...

i think that says it all :D

Rollo
Mar 14th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Well, tonight represents a big opportunity for Monica-and it will on live:)

mishar
Mar 14th, 2002, 01:18 PM
I think Martina will probably win tonight, though of course I hope Monica wins.

But if Martina loses she could see her ranking really go down. She'll lose 350 points from not playing the green clay tournaments, and there's not many chances to make up the points, since she has a lot of points to defend at Miami, Berlin, Rome.

I do agree with Rollo that Martina shouldn't worry about points and ranking. Wherever she's seeded she'll be a dangerous threat, and at this point in women's tennis there is only a slight advantage (especially on clay) in being one of the top 4 seeds. (Henin, Dokic, Clijsters, Serena are pretty tough QF opponents). (Or seles if she's not top 4)

However, I do appreciate that Hingis supports the tour, and cares about tournaments other than the slams.

Also it must be noted that Martina has done this every other year. One year she plays the green clay, the next year she plays Hamburg, regularly. The only difference in this case is that last year she played an extra green tournament (AI) and also she only has 17 tournaments on her ranking, so she will actually go into a grand slam with only 16 tournaments

Serena y Monica
Mar 14th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Top Four fear Hingis...why and more importantly who? Jennifer...not very friggin likely...esp. after AO. Venus again slim chance to non of fear and Monica...on clay has no reason to fear anyone...Clijsters maybe, but I don't even think she fears her.

I'm sure they will all recognise they need to play well and I'm just as sure they respect her play, but fear...hardly.