PDA

View Full Version : Should Michelle Kwan re-hire Frank Carroll as her coach?

geoepee
Mar 13th, 2002, 02:54 PM
Now that the Salt Lake City Olympics are over, and it appears that Michelle Kwan wants to continue competing at an international level, should she rehire Frank Carroll as her coach? I also want to her your comments on this.....

apoet29
Mar 13th, 2002, 03:14 PM
I don't think Michelle should rehire Carroll. First, given the break in their relationship last fall, I'm sure that that level of trust between coach and athlete is broken. Second, Michelle seems determined to use her father as her primary support system. Third, I believe that Carroll took Michelle as far as he could and that may be one of the reasons that Michelle broke off the relationship.

the jamierbelyea
Mar 13th, 2002, 08:28 PM
No..but she should hire someone ....

angie
Mar 13th, 2002, 11:10 PM
Michelle has done fine. :D

Volcana
Mar 14th, 2002, 12:26 AM
Depends on what she wants to do. If she goes to the most dramatic ice show, she'll do well. 'Swan Lake on Ice' or something.

But the bar for an acceptable level of athleticism in an International gold medalist has just been raised forever. What Debbie Thomas, Suraya Bonaly and Midori Ito tried and failed to do, Sarah Hughes accomplished. She had the grace AND the triple jumps. Seven, the max limit. Michelle Kwan current program will never beat Sarah Hughes current program if both skate cleanly. The difference in difficulty is too high. Sarah Hughes could execute Michelle Kwan program beautifully. Michelle Kwan couldn't execute Sarah Hughes' at all.

She doesn't need a coach, she needs a strength trainer.

Justin
Mar 15th, 2002, 12:00 AM
If Michelle stays eligible, and all accounts say she will, without question she will get another coach. Carroll is gone for good, imo. He took her to the top and gave her great stamina and the best mental game of any skater out there but she still needs to work on aspects of her skating that Frank could not improve as much as needed like her biggest weakness: speed- it's gotten better, and it is probably better than most Western skaters, but she still has work to do. Spins- while very good positions and stretch, the speed is lacking. Jumps- her technique is flawless, but she needs, again, more speed to be able to pull off two in a row. I would love to see her with Tatiana Tarasova (but she is based in CT, Michelle in LA)- but Peter Oppegard would be my guess for Michelle's next coach.

People love to nitpick Michelle's jumps, but nobody has landed more 7 triple programs than Michelle- and it is not even close. (Slutskaya, who everyone calls the best jumper has handed in about 5 seven triple programs in her career; Michelle- over 20) Michelle’s problem is 3/3 combos. And her jumps are always textbook. Sarah, a good jumper, has a major flaw on the most important jump, the lutz (she only did one lutz in her Olympic LP- Michelle did 2 huge ones), and Sarah finishes her loop rotation of her 3/3 on the ice. Sarah's flips (and sometimes lutz) landings usually flow in the wrong direction- almost as if she is going the wrong way. To say that Michelle's program will never beat Sarah's Olympic program is just not even close to true. Scherazade already defeated Sarah's program four of the six times they went head-to-head this year- and Michelle has not landed a 3/3 all year (and Sarah did land a 3/3 in three of the four times that Scherazade beat her). That shows you how far ahead Michelle's basic skating is. Had Michelle not fallen on her flip (even if she just doubled it), she would have soundly defeated Sarah in SLC- even without a 3/3. Michelle's in-between moves and smooth stroking are beyond compare. Sarah is good- but it will take a night like the Olympics for her to beat Michelle- where Sarah skates her best and Michelle hands in a poor performance for her standards.