PDA

View Full Version : Serena & Venus: No Regrets On Skipping IW - May Play Fed Cup!

AjdeNate!
Mar 13th, 2002, 12:04 AM
Williams sisters: No regrets about skipping Indian Wells

March 12, 2002

DELRAY BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- Venus and Serena Williams have no regrets about skipping this week's Pacific Life Open in Indian Wells, Calif., saying the verbal abuse they took last year would have made it impossible for them to enjoy playing there.

The family was booed during last year's tournament after Venus made a late withdrawal with an injury from a semifinal match against Serena, who beat Kim Clijsters in the final.

``When we play tennis we like to have fun,'' Serena said Tuesday.

``We go places we enjoy playing. We're entertainers and we entertain the crowd. If we can't entertain then our job is over, and I don't think we were doing a great job entertaining them last year.''

Venus, who just spent more than two months out of the country to attain the world No. 1 ranking, is finding it relaxing to be at home.

``Mentally, I was ready to be away so long,'' Venus said. ``But, after a while, physically I was kind of broken. I was starting to be injured because I was playing too much. After a while you start pulling muscles, they're nothing serious but they keep you from playing well.''

The sisters said they would be interested in playing in this year's Federation Cup. Serena has already spoken with U.S. captain Billie Jean King about the April 27-28 competition.

``We like the format now that it's back to the old (knockout draw) format,'' Serena said. ``I talked to Billie Jean about who we're going to play, the Austrians, and that it's going to be on clay. It depends on my scheduling.''

Serena y Monica
Mar 13th, 2002, 12:24 AM
I'm really happy that they feel good about their decision, but I really wish that they would say one way or the other if they are playing Fed-Cup...they both know their schedules.

Neither has played since the olympics and if they sit out of Fed-Cup until the year of the Olympics and then start to play again...I'll be so disappointed.

GogoGirl
Mar 13th, 2002, 12:54 AM
It's up to BJK who will represent. BJK has her hands full w/this one - unless Jen doesn't want to play. If Jen is still number one - Venus will be number two. They pick the top two players. Monica would play if she were asked - but she would be number three, and would only be asked if Venus or Jen turns it down. Lisa Raymond may want to play - because she is number one in doubles, unless she is still resentful about what happened in 2000. Venus won't play w/o Serena. Same scenario as in 2000, for the most part.

What a tangled web being weaved here again. Stickey situation indeed. BJK may need to have some tums and/or sleeping pills, or sumsen handy on this one. I wish her lots of luck.

Most likely, the Sisters won't be representing, IMO.

EDIT: If Jen nor Venus want to play, and Lindsay is out, then it would be Monica & Shaunessy (sp) I suppose. + The doubles team. Four players go in all.

2ND EDIT: Monica & Shaunessy - if Serena turns it down that is. Because Serena spoke up in the article - leads me to believe, she may would be inclined to play w/Monica as the top two singles' players, if the top two players declined the invitation.

I think I'm thru editing now - I hope. (smile)

3RD EDIT: I lied. Sorry.

Williams Rulez
Mar 13th, 2002, 02:14 AM
It'd be good for them if they wish to play! :D

I'd get to watch them on TV!! :bounce: :bounce:

Scotso
Mar 13th, 2002, 02:38 AM
I'd like it very much if they would play Fed Cup, but somehow I doubt it.

AjdeNate!
Mar 13th, 2002, 02:42 AM
This would be a neat setting:

Singles:
Jen
Monica

Doubles:
Serena
Lisa

Williams Rulez
Mar 13th, 2002, 02:49 AM
I think it'll be something like this:

Singles:
Venus
Jennifer

Doubles:
Serena
Venus/Lisa

I think Monica has played her fair share of Fed-cups, time to let others play ;) :D

CC
Mar 13th, 2002, 02:59 AM
It gets more complicated. Alex Stevenson just said on ESPN that she is trying to make the team.:)

Jakeev
Mar 13th, 2002, 03:06 AM
Bravo for Serena in the way she commented on IW. She was very honest, to the point and classy.

Indian Wells may never be the same tournament for awhile.

moon
Mar 13th, 2002, 04:32 AM
Personally I hope Venus doesn't play. She has points do defend in Hamburg, starting on the 29th of April. Fed Cup is the 27-28th. Serena can play Fed Cup.

Incidentally, if she signs up, I highly doubt that it will be for doubles.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Mar 13th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Singles: Jennifer and Serena

Doubles: Monica and Lisa

Volcana
Mar 13th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Current rankings

4767 01 J.CAPRIATI
4616 02 V.WILLIAMS
3456 04 L.DAVENPORT
2969 08 M.SELES
2793 09 S.WILLIAMS
1724 13 M.SHAUGHNESSY
1164 21 L.RAYMOND
0985 27 A.STEVENSON

The tie is against Austria. Schett won't play. The only other top hundred for Austria is Barbara Schwartz. Stevenson/Raymond could win this tie, seriously. Both are playing well and Lisa is one of the world's best doubles players. Were I Austira, Sylvia Plischke would be on the team. Crafty veterans is Austria's only shot. Without Schett, the USA just has better players.)

Olympic berths are on the line, so US players are looking for opportunities. Especially after the fiasco picking the team last time. BJK will want to qualify the Williamses as her doubles team, even if she doesn't get to use them. She'll also want to qualify Lisa Raymond and someone else. Singles, she can use anyone. And we hope that by this time next year, Chanda Rubin is available and a top 20 player as well.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Mar 13th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Volcana, this has no implications on the Olympics, as the next one is in 2004.

THEN, in 2004, it is the week before the US Open and I highly doubt that any of the top players will want to play in Athens on red clay then fly right on over for the US Open on Hardcourt. :)

Becool
Mar 13th, 2002, 05:59 PM
WOW! I loved Serena's words about IW :eek: :)

WTG Rena :bounce:

Infiniti2001
Mar 13th, 2002, 06:22 PM
As long as they're both happy with their choices, the rest will fall in line . Miss Rena is so darn mature, it's killing me :P

http://www.fortunecity.com/olympia/bischoff/239/01658ac0.gif

LucasArg
Mar 13th, 2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by BecoolSerenaLover
WOW! I loved Serena's words about IW :eek: :)

WTG Rena :bounce:

Ditto Becool:wavey:

Bright Red
Mar 14th, 2002, 04:04 AM
It serves the IW tournament right, and maybe the locals will learn a lesson, too.