PDA

View Full Version : Guess Lisa Raymond's top-priority: singles or doubles ?

GoDominiqu
Mar 12th, 2002, 08:08 PM
She said it last year in an interview at the Filderstadt-event.

Singles or doubles ?

Rollo
Mar 12th, 2002, 08:38 PM
Bet she said singles-she's delusional though. If Lisa is remembered at all-it will be as being great at doubles:)

Kuilli
Mar 12th, 2002, 08:44 PM
Maybe I missed something, but as far as I know, Lisa has always said that singles is her top priority.

Yep, she will definitely be remembered for her doubles career, and her singles career would never match her doubles career, but that doesn't mean she shouldn't take her singles career seriously. Making it into top 20, and currently being ranked 21 is still pretty good in my humble opinion. :)

Rollo
Mar 12th, 2002, 08:48 PM
True enough Kuilli-that's better than 99% of the tour:)

Just curious-what nation is that flag? Your name sounds Baltic-is that the flag of Latvia, Lithuania, or Estonia?

Kuilli
Mar 12th, 2002, 08:51 PM
Rollo, it's Estonian flag. :) I was born and raised in Estonia, but currently live in Seattle.

Justin
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:01 PM
The only time Lisa made dubs a priority over singles was in 2000 for the Olympics, when she was ranked #1 in dubs at the Olympic seletion deadline- and she sure got screwed by BJK for that.

Gallofa
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:18 PM
She has always said that it is singles, and that doubles comes more naturally to her, so she works harder on her singles... obviously her success is in the dubs, but she is an excellent singles player, so why should she give up on that? I think she has underachieved in her singles carreer.

Justin, I agree with you completely.

Rollo
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:24 PM
Thanks Kuilli-you must be a big Kanepi fan. She'd be the first top ten Estonian:) It's a pity for Lisa more events these days are on slower surfaces-she has to cram her best tennis into the short grass season.

GoDominiqu
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:28 PM
Yep, you are right. She said it's singles. :)

But it's only normal. She plays singles regularly, so you have to practice to be ready for singles as well. In singles you have to be fitter and you need all kind of shots. If you are a decent volleyer, you can also add doubles then.

Rollo
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:37 PM
The reality is too that singles still generates 90% of the attention-so it's only natural that she considers it first priority.

GoDominique-hows the Van Rooster these days? Doing commentary? A happy mom?

brunof
Mar 12th, 2002, 10:38 PM
Yeah, it's sad that doubles doesn't recieve more credit than singles, from fans and players. Notice how televison goes, "We will now go to the exciting replay of the women's doubles championships." Arg... Good luck lis

GoDominiqu
Mar 13th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Rollo - I think rather the second one. :)
If I only knew ... she doesn't appear in the public very often, but I think that's exactly what she wants. :)

Rollo
Mar 13th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Kudos to her and Appelmans for kick starting Belgian ladies tennis:)

Kuilli
Mar 13th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Rollo
Thanks Kuilli-you must be a big Kanepi fan. She'd be the first top ten Estonian:) It's a pity for Lisa more events these days are on slower surfaces-she has to cram her best tennis into the short grass season.

Rollo, I am a big Kanepi fan although I haven't had a chance to see Kaia play yet. Hopefully, she will be able to break through to the top in a few years. :)

Yep, more grass tourneys would definitely benefit Lisa.

BB
Mar 13th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Do you think grass would look good in Roland Garros? :o

That would be so cool for LISA!

:bounce:

Kuilli
Mar 13th, 2002, 10:38 AM
lol@BB

I don't think Lisa would complain about grass in RG. ;)

Gallofa
Mar 13th, 2002, 11:15 AM
I don't think she would complain if the whole summer circuit was grass ;)