PDA

View Full Version : Lisa Raymond against Masters in Munich

Frau Antje
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:55 PM
http://relaunch.sport1.de/coremedia/generator/www.sport1.de/News/Tennis/WTA/Meldungen/ten_20wta_20erw_E4gt_20verlegung_20des_20damen-masters_20mel.html

sorry, only in German, but she said that the best players come from the US so the Masters should be played there

your opinion?

Tweety
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:09 PM
I hope the Masters will stay at least until 2003 in Munich :(

My comment on Raymond's comment: Why don't they schedule all tournaments in the United States then :confused:

Randy H
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:09 PM
I don't agree with Lisa's reasoning, just because the top players happen to be primarily Americans, doesn't really warrant that the Championships should be held in their country. I do agree that the U.S. is definitely a better site to hold it than in Germany though, but if it's going to be held there then they need to bring back Philadelphia or another decent tiered indoor event in America so that there's some logical reasoning why they would go from Europe back to America for all of one week.

The Crow
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:11 PM
That's a crap reasoning imo.

griffin
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:53 PM
If that's her reasoning, I disagree with her. (but I know how often statements are taken out of context and/or mangled in general, so...)

As a few people on the board have already suggested, I think it would be best of they rotated the location of the Masters each year, the way the ATP does. I think it's fair, AND a great way to build exposure for the sport in different markets.

Gallofa
Mar 12th, 2002, 08:27 PM
I sense an ulterior motivation here. ;) :p Lisa Raymond always played Philadelphia (she's from there, isn't she?) before the Masters (where she normally qualifies for the dubs), without having the Masters in USA, Philadelphia got scratched last year.. who would fly there just to come back to Europe the following week?

I am sure she likes Germany fine enough... after all she does play Filderstadt! ;) - but, yeah, that's really a non-argument she's using. In all these things, is the public who decide where the big tourneys are, by showing up.

Nevertheless, I think tournaments such as the Masters and the Fed Cup finals should rotate, but there are too many interests at play I guess.

stubbsy71
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:22 PM
This is what Rennae thought about the move

Q: Rennae it was the last Masters at the legendary Madison Square Garden, are you disappointed about the move to Munich/Germany ?

A: I am sooooo disappointed we are not playing in NY anymore, don't get me wrong I love Germany, but being in NY at that time of the year and playing at Madison Square Garden was amazing. It was like a true reward for all the hard work throughout the year to finish in NY. And the SHOPPING!!!!!!!!

Frau Antje
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:35 PM
where is the difference???
to play in NY in a hall filled with a handfull of spectators or
to play in Munich with the same amount of people???

:rolleyes:

Serena y Monica
Mar 12th, 2002, 10:27 PM
I think she's right...the best players are definitely American:p

I like the idea of a L.A. Championship. One of my girls seems to be star struck so I'm sure Serena will show...Monica'a always a trooper :kiss:

Jakeev
Mar 13th, 2002, 02:10 AM
I also have mixed feelings. Perhaps rotating the venue would be the best but from what I have heard about Munich, more Americans pack the stadiums then they do in Europe so let's see what happens if it heads to California.

LucasArg
Mar 13th, 2002, 02:14 AM
I disagree. The argument is pure crap:o

Jakeev
Mar 13th, 2002, 02:20 AM
Unless it headed to Buenes Aires huh Lucas?;)

Dado
Mar 13th, 2002, 06:41 AM
I think the reason she said is really bad. But the Munich- Tournament was shit. And what's this for a WorldChamps without the best players???

Kuilli
Mar 13th, 2002, 08:36 AM
If that was Lisa's reasoning, I don't agree with it either.

Everybody who mentioned rotating the Masters between different countries, I think that's the best idea. But, I am not sure they will go for it. My second choice would be to move Masters back to New York. I think players would like that a lot. As far as LA goes, I like the idea a lot, but only because I would be able to go.

thefreedesigner
Mar 13th, 2002, 08:59 AM
I too loved the event (the drama and excitement that felt genuine) when it was in NY... so I wasn't overjoyed about it being moved to Munich, though I could see the reasoning.

It'd be nice to have it NY again, but I'd be in favour of it going on a tour myself.

Doesn't Lisa have a degree in criminlogy or something? What a bullshit argument to come out of someone you'd expect to have at least a modicum of how to construct valid arguments. :rolleyes:

BB
Mar 13th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Who needes the Masters in Germany? No player is quaified to play there, thats not very interested for our spoiled crowd :o

As long as we have some tourneys in Germany like Berlin, Leipzig and Filderstadt I don't care about the Masters. They should give it to the nation were the past champion is from. Then it would take place this year in the USA and if Amelie Mauresmo wins 2002 (just an example) then it would take place 2003 in France.

stubbsy71
Mar 13th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Look let's face it........... New York....... it's just got the better shops!

BB
Mar 13th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Okay then lets go shopping - Rennae has a GOLD CARD! :D

Gallofa
Mar 13th, 2002, 11:46 AM
I think she must have a diamond encrusted bank card, actually ;) lol

Deep reasoning by Rennae there - not superficial at all :p

BB
Mar 13th, 2002, 12:02 PM
@ Bea - a diamond card? Well, Rennae's surname is Stubbs not Gates :p :p :p

TeeRexx
Mar 13th, 2002, 12:02 PM
Raymond's logic is off.

The championship should be played in Los angeles because:

1. The weather is great
2. The fans will come
3. It will look like the 2001 U.S. Open finals
4. The babes in L.A look great (reason for me and conchita) :eek:
5. WTA is considering moving headquarters here.
6. Finally, this is the home of the Great Tee Rexx, Chairman of the Williams Tennis Association :p :cool:

BB
Mar 13th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Oh yes, Mr. T - sweet dreams! :p

Sonja
Mar 13th, 2002, 01:48 PM
agrees with griff - I'm not sure they quoted her correctly, as journalists often use quotes out of context.

I would like to see a rotation of the Masters. It would enable more fans from different locations to see the year end championship and by switching locations each year the organizers might try harder to "outdo" the prior tournament and make it more enjoyable for players and fans alike.

Aloysius
Mar 13th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Hold it in London - or nomad the Championships, but hold it two weeks after the last WTA event. I also want them to cut it down to 8 players and play the round-robin like the ATP does, with semis and grand finale.

stubbsy71
Mar 13th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Let's also remember that Lisa is a committee member for the WTA players board, so I'm sure her comments were a reflection of what the majority of players are thinking. These may not necessary be her own personal views. She's just the spokes person for many.

BB
Mar 13th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Yes, Stubbsy71 - thats what the article means too. She spoke not just for herself (and I say that not only cos I'm a fan of her)

Kisha
Mar 13th, 2002, 07:57 PM
wouldnt it be better to move it back? i can think of at least one person who would agree - Monica Seles:)

Kuilli
Mar 13th, 2002, 08:33 PM
Karen and BB have a good point about Lisa being a WTA players board member, so it may not be solely her opinion. Also, as griffin and Sonja said, quotes are often used out of context. The other thing to consider is that this quote is in German, and Lisa obviously gave that interview in English. At times things get lost or misinterpreted during translations. So, without seeing the actual transcript of the interview, it's probably not fair to judge her by that quote.

I want one of those diamond encrusted cards! :rolleyes:

Volcana
Mar 13th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Munich was a bad choice because few people came to see it. Ity's my understanding that more people came in New York, but Muncih offered a huge guarantee. I don't blame the WTA for trying, but the experiment didn't work. Playing in the USA because a lot of top players come form there is the LAST reason to move it back here. It should go someplace where they are going to get crowds, and that it can be televised in the USA live between 10:00am and midnite.

Florida might be better than New York. Paris would be good if the crowds would turn out. They are quite fond of female athletes in Brazil. Japan is a tough time zone, but they might get the turn-out.

Frau Antje
Mar 13th, 2002, 09:42 PM
how about playing it in Belgium? The people are crazy about tennis at the moment

BB
Mar 14th, 2002, 09:35 AM
BELGIUM? very good idea! Belgium gets my vote!:D

tenn_ace
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:09 AM
and the best downhill skiers are Austrians... should all the tournaments be scheduled in Austria?:rolleyes:

nikita771
Mar 14th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Surely she can't be serious. That is hardly a winning argument to have a tournament in a certain country. Since I live in the US, it would be preferable to me to have a US tournament - only because I would have a better chance of attending.