PDA

View Full Version : Fans of The Doors be mad!

shirley
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:50 PM
Pop Idol winner, Will Young's next single is set to be a cover version of The Door's classic, "Light My Fire."

Jim Morrison will be spinning in his grave.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00004WEMT.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

sartrista7
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:52 PM
:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

Not even Massive Attack could pull it off. Will Young certainly won't be able to.

Oh, quelle surprise, another cover version :rolleyes:

:fiery:

shirley
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by sartrista7
:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

Not even Massive Attack could pull it off. Will Young certainly won't be able to.

Oh, quelle surprise, another cover version :rolleyes:

:fiery:

:wavey: @ sartrista7

I hate it when people cover classic songs. I'm not a fan of The Doors but I know a classic song when I hear one.

:D

sartrista7
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:57 PM
:wavey: at Shirley

If they're gonna cover a classic song, they'd better do something interesting with it. The best two covers I've heard are Tori Amos' versions of Smells Like Teen Spirit and 97 Bonnie & Clyde (Eminem), where she completely deconstructs the original. It can be done. But certainly not by Will Young. :fiery:

shirley
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:12 PM
I hated the Oasis version of The Who's "My Generation."

I'm a big fan of The Who :)

sartrista7
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Oasis :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

I love 'My Generation'! Ooh, memories of dancing to it in indie dives...

Evey
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:48 PM
he isnt gonna be much of a pop idol if all his songs are covers :rolleyes: i mean his debut album is going to be full of covers :rolleyes: oh and yeah sis i agree Jim Morrison will be turning in his grave.

fresh2flash
Mar 13th, 2002, 08:53 AM
I used to hate Baccara just because they made a cover version of "Light my Fire". Strange feeling :).

Dahveed
Mar 13th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Eww it's the same with those covers of 'Time After Time' or 'I Will Always Love You' by i don't know who! I hate them, they're destroying beautiful songs!

vancouverite
Mar 13th, 2002, 09:38 AM
People, lighten up!

Do you really think Will Young has any say in what he sings at this point in his career? He's at his producers' beck and call, and sings what he's told to (and when).

Classic songs worthy of the name remain classics, no matter who covers them. After all, don't we automatically think of The Doors at the mention of 'Light My Fire'? Let people do covers...the originals will remain, and perhaps - just perhaps - a new light can be shed on a great song. If not, the original will still shine through.

As for Will Young, the man has a truly amazing voice, ideally suited to Motown/Sixties pop classics (as anyone who heard his covers of Jackie Wilson's 'Sweetest Feeling' and - gasp! - 'Light My Fire' can attest). Even his covers of those insipid ballads (recorded before he won the competition and chosen, no doubt, in anticipation of a victory by Gareth Gates) do them more justice than they deserve.

Give the guy a chance...:cool:

disposablehero
Mar 14th, 2002, 01:42 AM
A cover version I can live with. It's already been done. What I dread is the day that someone samples huge chunks of a Doors tune for their latest "song". (Stay away Combs!)

The frightening part is that they may actually do so with permission. Nobody ever accused Ray Manzarek of hating money.

vancouverite
Mar 14th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Quite right, dh...(is it only a matter of time before we hear Michael Jackson's riffs on 'Hard Day's Night' and 'Norwegian Wood'?:))

Obviously, solid original material is ideal, but if exposure is bought at the price of a few (hopefully) decent covers, the world ain't gonna end!