PDA

View Full Version : Ding Dong the Line Judge is Gone

jbone_0307
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:31 AM
:haha: haha bitch!! Nice knowing you, but as of tomorrow, you will be at the unemployment office every 2 week. :rolleyes:

bmxbandit
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:32 AM
:haha: haha bitch!! Nice knowing you, but as of tomorrow, you will be at the unemployment office every 2 week. :rolleyes:
:yeah:

esquímaux
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:33 AM
The lines judge was right, the umpire is at fault.

bmxbandit
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:34 AM
The lines judge was right, the umpire is at fault.
Lol I didnt even notice he actually wrote "line judge". Thanks for pointing that out.

Veritas
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:35 AM
The Linesmen confirmed the ball was in. It was the umpire who overruled it and awarded the point to Jennifer.

WorldWar24
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:39 AM
Serena was robbed, ok

But it wasn't just the umpire's fault. She made 1 bad mistake, which can happen when you have to look at the lines 2 hours straight. Bad lighting and different angles pull tricks, and it was just one bad mistake from her. It's better if it's one that's very bad, than 10 that are not as bad.

On the other hand, the lines judges did a very bad job, coz they made several mistakes, and there is nothing the umpire could have done coz she was on the other side.

During that last game, even Richard thought a ball was out and pointed that to Serena, who was rightfully complaining. SHIT HAPPENS

jbone_0307
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Hey, it rhymed, so I put it there, plus Im sure they had something to do with the 3 bad calls in the match.

*JR*
Sep 8th, 2004, 07:14 PM
In team sports, the officials consult with eachother when one sees something another didn't. It sucks that they don't in tennis, as I pointed out re. that RG '03 Serena-Justine ump not calling ova the linesppl behind each (who could see both players' actions @ the same time).

SerenaSlam
Sep 8th, 2004, 07:17 PM
The Linesmen confirmed the ball was in. It was the umpire who overruled it and awarded the point to Jennifer.
again, there was no over rule, the ump is just a liar.

and i read now, that she was actually "scheduled" to do another match, but was asked not to :eek:

fammmmedspin
Sep 8th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Being a line judge at the USO is hardly a fulltime job anyway is it.

as someone said last night its a pretty thankless one too..

ans
Sep 8th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Hey look: thread number 200 about the same subject. Is this a record?

fammmmedspin
Sep 8th, 2004, 07:35 PM
he prob did that so serena would just forget about it and not get so angry and focus on the next point.
No probably about it. its totally unknowable what he saw and what his brain registered seeing might be different again.

Same with the umpire. people calling her a liar just don't understand anything about how the brain works. Its perfectly possible for people to see things and believe things that don't happen without being a liar. People just make mistakes - more if they judge in a split second on little evidence - like a ball flying fast at some distance from an angle and in bad light.

jbone_0307
Sep 8th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Well obviously she has no reason to be on court and really needs to get her eyes checked. The umpire overruled a ball which was called in, they only do that when they are 100% sure that the ball was out, obviously she cant see, and for the judges, umpires whatever to consistently make wrong calls, makes it very hard to believe that she wasn't scheming.

OUT!
Sep 8th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Put hold on the celebration corks folks - I'm sure there will be another incompetent umpire in a future Williams GS match. We've had two this year already. :( http://wtaworld.com/ubb/eek.gif

Bacardi
Sep 8th, 2004, 09:31 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath, I bet she'll be back refing probably by the year end championships or at least at the Aussie. Hell, she might have botched some calls, but this has brought more news to tennis, in what's otherwise been a boring listless Slam.

Joana
Sep 8th, 2004, 09:55 PM
I'm starting to enjoy it actually. Keep them coming!

baleineau
Sep 9th, 2004, 12:32 AM
She made 1 bad mistake, which can happen when you have to look at the lines 2 hours straight. Bad lighting and different angles pull tricks, and it was just one bad mistake from her. It's better if it's one that's very bad, than 10 that are not as bad.

Sorry, but I think you misunderstand the role of the umpire. Their job is not to 'study closely' every single line call. That's why they have linespeople. Only when they feel that the linesperson made a mistake, and are 100% sure about it, should they overrule. Close calls, except those under the umpire's nose, should not be overruled from the chair, unless the line-judge's view is blocked by the player. Fat though she is, Jennifer was not that close to the ball. Close enough to see it was clearly good, but she did not unsight the linesperson. And anyway, this side-line is one that should never really be overruled, since the umpire cannot possibly get a good enough view from their Chair.

I don't think the umpire requires sympathy at all. The umpire spoiled the match, either through maliciousness, conspiracy, fear, or sheer incompetence.

Martian Jeza
Sep 9th, 2004, 12:34 AM

Yeah, you can see how pissed the Sisters fans are : Just fabulous :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rtael
Sep 9th, 2004, 01:01 AM
you will be at the unemployment office every 2 week. :rolleyes:

Joining your last remaining brain cell?

jbone_0307
Sep 9th, 2004, 03:03 AM
Too bad your last just visited the office.

Crazy Canuck
Sep 9th, 2004, 03:48 AM
So much hate...