PDA

View Full Version : Smear campaign against Venus and Serena??

Deira
Mar 12th, 2002, 05:57 PM
I keep reading these little innuendos about Venus and Serena (all of a sudden) cussing on court. Of course no one can tell what they said for sure. Serena supposedly got a warning and apologized, but nobody knows what she said. In fact, nobody knows if this really happened because there's been no word on it except on this message board. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Now Venus has been "lip-read" maybe, possibly, could-be, appeared to be, might-have said "asshole". Some people are really stretching it ... but I ain't mad cause my girls are red hot. :wavey:

itsallaboutinis
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:26 PM
I and no one at the tourney sitting in my vacinity heard what Serena said, the chair gave the reprimand and everyone was like huh, what did she say?

That said, what others are trying to do is rationalize that profanity laced tirades are acceptable means of communication with others and can infact be put on the same level as one mumbling shit damned of even fuck to oneself.

Keith
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Who cares if she curses or not!?

veryborednow
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:25 PM
<---- my name: read it

Dawn Marie
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:26 PM
:wavey: HIYA DEIRA you're on point as per usual.:)

CanadianBoy21
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:30 PM
You know, THERE IS ONLY THREE WOMEN NOW THAT ARE DOMINATING TENNIS.
THEY ARE:
Jennifer Capriaty
Venus Williams
Serena Williams

I say this because Davenport is injured(duh), Monica is not beating top players consistently enough to be at the top.
Then there is Martina Hingis, she hasn't beaten Venus Williams since 2001 Ausrtalian Open, she hasn't beaten Serena Williams since 2001 Australian Open, & when was the last time she beat Jennifer, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, 1925? :p
Now, why I bring this up? Because these players seem to be picked only when their are on top...hmm, for example a Martina Hingis fan(ex. truefreund) will bring cursing into this becasue it's a way to pick on players if anything else, and get on the offensive and forget somehow that his fave lost the last 20 matches against a top 5 player :p . I used to be a little upset that Jennifer cursed out loud because it's a bad influence to the kids, but hey, it helped her to get it out of her system, and win a Grand Slam, it's her life afterall, and she did show that she has heart. Oh and by the way, I noticed how Jennifer behaved at Scottsdale, she didn't argue too much, she jsut shook it off. I guess as long as we learn along the wya, it's all good
That's it, I'm out.

:wavey:

veryborednow
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:33 PM
CapriatI!! there's an I in there, no Y.

c a p r i a t i

CanadianBoy21
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:38 PM
lol, thanks for the sp correction.

Dawn Marie
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:51 PM
I disagree I cant stand all that cursing and ugly behavior. I have no problem with cursing outside of the tennis courts . But I dislike the cursing on the court.

READ TENNIS BOOKS. THEY TALK ABOUT COURT ETIQUETTE.

I am sorry, but there is just something about the classier players like the late great Arthur Ashe. I just prefer that kind of behavior when I am watching tennis.

Sperhero you're fooling yourself if you think that the MAIN reason that Venus and Serena are getting ragged on is becasue they are kicking ass. They were nasty things written about them BEFORE they won a title.:)

Jennifer and Chuckiova both looked pathetic when they cursed and threw raquets and all that crap. I respect them as tennis players but disliked their actions at that time.

Kudos to players like:

Venus
Henin
Amelie
Serena
Kim
Chanda
Ai
and a host of others on their behavior for the MOST part. It is nice to see as a fan of tennis.

CanadianBoy21
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:54 PM
Yes but now that their are winning and kicking ass, that is the only thing people can find, eventhough it's possibly not even true the one about Venus.
I mena she spelled out bitch for the media(1997), she didn't want to say it, it's cute. :)

Dawn Marie
Mar 12th, 2002, 08:00 PM
True dat Superhero .. and I agree with that.:)

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Mar 12th, 2002, 08:49 PM
I know for a FACT that Venus and Serena cuss on court, but it's nothing to be ashamed about if you are a fan.

You get upset at yourself and you say it.

Plus, I've always believe that it's not the word that you say is wrong, it's the emotion driving the use of the word that is wrong. :)

vw43
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:54 PM
I could care less who curses on court. Jen's my fave and while some find her on court behavior rude, I think it's refreshing to have players show some emotion. I just take it as entertainment value. My favorite players have been the outspoken ones..Johnny Mac, Jimmy, etc..

I will agree that it is a bad example for children but that is when the parent needs to tend to their parenting and explain that sometimes adults curse in high pressure situations and that doesn't make it right for kids to use that language...or whatever the parental discussion may be...lol.

I do find it hard to believe that Venus would curse on court. She is usually very emotionally controlled on court..until she wins...and then I enjoy the little jump..:bounce:

Jakeev
Mar 13th, 2002, 03:22 AM
Deira!!!!!! were have u been gf miss around here:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Ms. Lively
Mar 13th, 2002, 03:42 AM
I don't think it's about race. I think it's about gender.

It is acceptable if a man cusses. Baseball players, basketball players, hockey players, male tennis players and other men can cuss all they like and noone cares.

If a woman cusses, then all hell breaks lose. The woman is villified and considered evil.

selesfan
Mar 13th, 2002, 03:44 AM
Deira, some people are just jealous and trying so hard to find something negative about the Sisters since they are always beating their fave. :)

thefreedesigner
Mar 13th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Ms. Lively is right in that a woman on court gets more heat for any kind of contrary behaviour, be it plain back chat, racket throwing, or actual profanity.

I personally don't have a problem if anyone wants to curse on court. It's fun and human.

I think the only reason (maybe?) why this has been brought up particularly is because many fans of V and S insist that they don't swear. It's not that if they did it'd be a bad thing particularly.

Talks of smear campaigns is a sign of paranoia perhaps?

Halardfan
Mar 13th, 2002, 09:57 AM
When Capriati swore at the Aussie Open, many people spoke of her as though she was the epitomy of evil, in wildly overblown terms. They really stuck the boot in over the issue. Numerous people also said that the Williams sisters would never swear.

I wasn't bothered by Capriati swearing.

Im not bothered by Serena swearing.

Its just a point scoring issue among the various fans groupings.

thefreedesigner
Mar 13th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Chris, the problem I (and I think others) have had with Capriati is that she basically insults people, and it's no business of hers to do that.

If she says 'fuck', 'shit', 'piss' and 'ass' when remonstrating with herself at bad shots, or even cursing her own luck at getting bad calls... fine.

When she resorts to insulting others who are only doing their job after all, that's when problems occur.

Even when getting all uptight about Jennifer insulting people, I do it with my tongue pretty much entrenched in my cheek though. ;) :p

maccardel
Mar 13th, 2002, 03:16 PM
That suprised me too....I am suprised that no one asks Jen or Lindsay about when they curse but somehow they find it in themselves to question Venus and Serena...go figure.

Deira
Mar 13th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Hi Jakeev honey :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: I been keeping it on the down low a little. I seem to need to be really inspired/pissed to go off ...erm... post about anything anymore :D ;)