PDA

View Full Version : Slutskaya awarded a gold medal

Nina_rus
Mar 12th, 2002, 05:57 PM
...Not a real Olympics one though. She was awarded a gold medal financed by a Russian politician and buisnessman. It looks similar to the one from the Olympics in Salt Lake City but it's made of gold (unlike the real one that is made of silver), and the letters are in Russian.
Irina said that it was great to have so much support in Russia and also added that she thought she deserved more than a silver one at the Olympics.

Scotso
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:06 PM
:rolleyes:

Keith
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:11 PM
I hate to say it...But Sarah deserved the gold. She skated flawlessly, and no one else did. It was close for sure, but I think that deep down, Irina knows she was number two that night.

Hurley
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:13 PM
I know where this is going... :p

sartrista7
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Sarah was definitely better than Irina that night in the Long Programme, but in Irina should have won the short programme instead of Kwan (although I was rooting for Michelle). If she'd won the short programme and come 2nd in the long, she would have won overall.

Hurley
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:15 PM
Wow, we're already there. And to think I was waiting for ys. :p

Iconoclast
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:28 PM
Can't they make an extra gold medal for Beckie Scott who was robbed by the Russian drug cheaters Danilova and Lazutina?

Or perhaps Putin could tell the two druggies to hand back their stolen medals instead of sickingly wishing them good luck with their appeals.

Irina rightfully lost after her flawed, conservative skate in the LP.

Justin
Mar 12th, 2002, 08:43 PM
I missed the Olympic talk around here but Irina should have ended with the bronze, imo.

In the Short, I would have:
1- Slutskaya
2- Kwan
3- Cohen
4- Butyrskaya (she was waaay underscored, imo, and had a clean SP)
5- Hughes (the only one of the top guns to falter in the short)

Long
1- Hughes
2- Kwan
3- Slutskaya
4- Cohen
5- Butyrskaya

Final:
1- Kwan
2- Hughes
3- Slutskaya

I would have given Kwan the gold by default. That's just the system. I do not think she won the short or long- but she gets the gold with those results.

People make a case for Irina winning the long program- I just do not see it. I don't think she comes close to beating Hughes and Kwan snipped her, too. Kwan and Irina landed the same jumps, for all intents and purposes and Michelle's carriage is better than Irina's and far better than Hughes. Sarah was just able to overcome her skating deficiencies with a strong skate, while Kwan and Slutskaya handed in poor performances for their standards.

A lot of things had to happen for Sarah to get the gold, and they all did. Butryskaya was way undermarked in the SP, Slutskaya was slightly undermarked in the SP, Kwan was slightly overmarked in the SP, Slutskaya was overmarked in the LP. Sarah needed all of those things to happen for her to win. At least Sarah is not a pain in the ass like Lipinski.

Crazy Canuck
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:29 PM
TO everyone who keeps saying Sarah won the long program hands down...

I agree with you totally.

However, many feel - and after seeing it again - I tend to agree - that Irina should have beaten Michelle in the long program.

Technically she was flawless, and her artistry isn't as good as Michelle's but it was still very good - but she got killed in the artistry marks which is why Michelle won the short program.

Had she won the short program, she'd have won Gold.

Good to see her federation is supporting her :)

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 12th, 2002, 10:01 PM
:bounce: :bounce:

not the real thing though :sad:

GoSandrine
Mar 13th, 2002, 12:45 AM
I thought the judges were right on in the women's singles for both the long and short programs which resulted in Sarah becoming the deserved Olympic Champion. :kiss: :wavey:

Celeste
Mar 13th, 2002, 01:10 AM
I hope she's happy!

I have a Sterling tea set that is old, and the big piece looks much like the U.S. Open women's trophy. I guess I could take it to a jeweler and have it engraved "United States Lawn Tennis Association," stick the names and years of all the winners from the past 30 year or whatever, and then stick my name in there somewhere with a date, and put it on my coffee table and boast that I am a past winner.

But it doesn't make me a U.S. Open women's singles champion. Never will.

fresh2flash
Mar 13th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Sarah was definitely better than Irina that night in the Long Programme

Just add IMHO, and everything will be OK...

disposablehero
Mar 14th, 2002, 01:45 AM
Whatever makes her happy. Personally, I'd feel like a complete tool if the home team made me a "medal".