PDA

View Full Version : Amelie isn't no. 1

mboyle
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:25 AM
cuz she didn't win her quarter-final. Too bad Amelie.

ZAK
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:27 AM
she can still be number 1

mboyle
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:33 AM
oh really? How? Does Lindsay need to win to be no. 1?

esquímaux
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:43 AM
Hmmm. Maybe Jen can be 'awarded' #1 instead.

bmxbandit
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:44 AM
Thank God.

fammmmedspin
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:47 AM
You need advanced Maths to figure it out but amelie is 616 points ahead. I think there are 488 points left for getting to the final and winning it and you have to add asagoe. sveta or nadia and elena or Jennifers quality points which i think comes to 16 + (86 or 70 ) + 86. So basically if Lindsay wins the final she is number 1 with a lead of 44-60 points.

If Sveta or nadia beat Lindsay or she loses the final or one player does not show and the Sf or final are walkovers, Amelie is still number 1.

I may be wrong, wiser people may tell me.

Harju.
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:02 AM
and mboyle is the happiest man on earth..

*cough*hater*cough* :rolleyes:

Hurley
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:23 AM
Lindsay has to WIN THE TITLE to be #1. Otherwise, Amelie is #1.

geoepee
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:30 AM
Hmmm. Maybe Jen can be 'awarded' #1 instead.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to esquímaux again.
Rats

bmxbandit
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:32 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to esquímaux again.
Rats
same here :)

SelesFan70
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:35 AM
The way Tracy explained it was the if Amelie won today she was assured of #1 no matter what Lindsay did, but if Amelie lost Lindsay would have to win the entire thing to become #1 ( which would be justice for her suck ass seeding). :D

fammmmedspin
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:45 AM
The way Tracy explained it was the if Amelie won today she was assured of #1 no matter what Lindsay did, but if Amelie lost Lindsay would have to win the entire thing to become #1 ( which would be justice for her suck ass seeding). :D
thats what the figures I worked out above say. its a funny old world isn't it. Elena or Jen win or Sveta or nadia pull off the upset and Amelie is number 1. Even stranger if Elena wins the title - she would have taken number 1 away from amelie and then gave it back!

mboyle
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:51 AM
you get c. 450 points for making the final and 650 for winning, not 464 or whatever, fammed

Hurley
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:53 AM
Look. Listen to me.

Amelie is #1 unless Lindsay wins the title, in which case she will be #1.

Okay? Okay.

*JR*
Sep 8th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Being a "Slamless #1" really "messed Kim's mind" last year. (OK, she was the first ever). If Momo (uh, not quite as calm a person) becomes #1 Sans Slam, how will the endless "do you really deserve it" media questions and stories affect her?
:confused:

fammmmedspin
Sep 8th, 2004, 09:41 PM
you get c. 450 points for making the final and 650 for winning, not 464 or whatever, fammedI started counting from where they are now not day 1 so there ae not 650 more points to get - just those for winning the QF, SF and final which is I think what I said it was.. As momo will stay where she is now and thats lindsay's total to beat thats the obvious way to do it.

Your QP total depends who you beat and Lindsay hasn't got Myskina in her QF or Justine in her SF or Momo in the final so her QP score is not going to be as high as you might have expected when the tournament started (infact it is about 300 points below what it might have been!).

best best better
Sep 8th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Being a "Slamless #1" really "messed Kim's mind" last year. (OK, she was the first ever). If Momo (uh, not quite as calm a person) becomes #1 Sans Slam, how will the endless "do you really deserve it" media questions and stories affect her?
:confused:

Perversely, I actually can't see it making Amelie perform any worse on the big occasion than she does already. Good Lord.

I know players play for themselves, and I know Amelie couldn't care one iota for my opinon, but she really should be ashamed of her inability to produce when it matters. It is no longer funny, it's frightening. On balance she has been the best player in the world this year (Lindsay could make a case), but has absoulutely nothing to show for it.

Petrova could stop Lindsay, but I think that the chance of Llindsay finishing her career as the Number One AND a US Open champ is too romantic to bet against - and I'm not even a Lindsay fan.

ali
Sep 8th, 2004, 10:22 PM
.......but I think that the chance of Llindsay finishing her career as the Number One AND a US Open champ is too romantic to bet against - and I'm not even a Lindsay fan.
I thought that about Steffi at Wimbledon '99 and it didn't quite work out unfortunately.

MinnyGophers
Sep 8th, 2004, 10:25 PM
anything can happen. Everybody that's left in the draw aren't worth much points to Lindsay, so we'll see how it plays out. I want Momo to be number 1 . I know that she is gonna get bashed from every side for not having won a slam, but you know what? it might push her to improve heerself and finally win that first slam like it happened for Hingis. And she can't do worse than what happened this year.
It's funny: when you think of it, Mauresmo struggles to earn a thing she really wants badly ( Slam), but what if she already has it ( number 1 spot) . The reverse thing could happen and Mauresmo wouldn't be struggling so much in big games anymore.. Who knows? Everything happens weird with Amelie so I wouldn't be surprised , and I am a very hopeful person.

*JR*
Sep 8th, 2004, 10:46 PM
anything can happen. Everybody that's left in the draw aren't worth much points to Lindsay, so we'll see how it plays out. I want Momo to be number 1 . I know that she is gonna get bashed from every side for not having won a slam, but you know what? it might push her to improve heerself and finally win that first slam like it happened for Hingis. And she can't do worse than what happened this year.
It's funny: when you think of it, Mauresmo struggles to earn a thing she really wants badly ( Slam), but what if she already has it ( number 1 spot) . The reverse thing could happen and Mauresmo wouldn't be struggling so much in big games anymore.. Who knows? Everything happens weird with Amelie so I wouldn't be surprised , and I am a very hopeful person.Didn't work for Kim, though. ;)

MinnyGophers
Sep 8th, 2004, 10:48 PM
Didn't work for Kim, though. ;)

Kim isn't a little weirdo like Amelie :kiss:

Kim came very close to win those slams, but Amelie neverwas as close as Kim. Momo's struggles lies in her inability to live up to her potential in big matches.
Kim is just bad luck and a crazy Juju on the way :lol: