PDA

View Full Version : Williams Robbed Of Point In Loss To Capriati

lizchris
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:11 AM
Updated: 09:57 PM EDT

Williams robbed of point in loss to Capriati

By HOWARD FENDRICH, AP Sports

NEW YORK (AP) - Unfairly, unbelievably, Serena Williams was robbed of a point by an umpire's mistake at the U.S. Open, just like her sister was at Wimbledon.
It happened in the opening game of the third set between Williams and Jennifer Capriati, who went on to win their Open quarterfinal 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 Tuesday night.

The match was tight and testy, the way it almost always has been during the 17 matches between Williams and Capriati: contested calls, spiked rackets, a bit of gamesmanship and strokes pounded with power. A lot of power.

But what always will be remembered is the miscue by chair umpire Mariana Alves of Portugal, who gave a point to Capriati at deuce after Williams hit a backhand that clearly landed in - and was ruled good by the line judge.

Williams wound up being broken in that game, and though she did break right back, she was broken again to 2-1 and never recovered. TV replays also appeared to show at least two other incorrect calls that went against Williams in the final game, when Capriati needed three match points to serve it out.

"I didn't even, like, look at it. It was close. I was just going to what the umpire said,"(that would be a first) Capriati told the crowd afterward, receiving some boos.

"Believe me, I've had things go against me many times, plenty of times. I deserve to get a call once in a while."

09/07/04 21:55 EDT

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press.

*JR*
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:12 AM
Write TD Jim Curley: curley@usta.com

BigTennisFan
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:14 AM
It's too bad that good matches have to have that kind of incompetent line calling in them. What makes it even worse is that those of us watching TV can see the replay and it's hard for us (those of us who are honest) to say "that's the way it goes".