PDA

View Full Version : Unfortunately, matches has always been affected by very bad calls...

jt2002
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:06 AM
It happened before, its still happening now, and it will happen again.
So are just supposed to move on or do something about it?:confused:

It takes out the fun and fairness in the sports....

SelesFan70
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:54 AM
Does anyone remember when Chris Evert was ROBBED in the Wimbledon semi-finals against Navratilova in 1988? Evert hit a backhand cross-court passing shot at 30-40 down while she served. It clipped the tape and landed on the line, but the linesman called it out :o and of course Martina, as always, was all too willing to win at any cost so she didn't say anything other than to say later that "no chalk flew up, so it's just sour grapes" :mad: Of course, Ms. Evert handled herself with class just as Venus and Serena did. :hearts:

Berlin_Calling
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:57 AM
LOL @ Martina :o:rolleyes:

fammmmedspin
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:04 AM
AO 04? We thought kim was coming back until that one bad call from the umpire if I recall - that was a GS final. Not to mention FO 99 when the ball was clearly in........

disposablehero
Sep 9th, 2004, 01:04 AM
Monica might have won the 95 US Open but for one call.

GoDominique
Sep 9th, 2004, 01:15 AM
Monica might have won the 95 US Open but for one call.
Yep. The result would have been 7-6 6-0.

GoDominique
Sep 9th, 2004, 01:23 AM
Graf had a bit of a let down during the second set and right from the beginning of the third set, she lifted her game.

If Graf would have lost the first set, my guess is that she would have stayed more focus and the result could have been totally different in the second set.

But who knows. Seles serve was very very close, it was hard to say 100% sure if it was in or out. Gotta give credit to Graf to hit a winner on Seles second serve to save that set point.
Well you should know that I applied the logic which is most commonly used on the board: If you change a certain situation in a match (like Monica's serve being called good), everything that's following it stays the same. :)

tennisfan22
Sep 9th, 2004, 01:25 AM
Graf had a bit of a let down during the second set and right from the beginning of the third set, she lifted her game.

If Graf would have lost the first set, my guess is that she would have stayed more focus and the result could have been totally different in the second set.

But who knows. Seles serve was very very close, it was hard to say 100% sure if it was in or out. Gotta give credit to Graf to hit a winner on Seles second serve to save that set point.
Exactly Monica was sooo pissed . She would have bagelled ANYONE at that time. Same thing happened against ASV at the RG 1998 in the second set

GoDominique
Sep 9th, 2004, 01:31 AM
Does GoDominique ever post these days. :o It's always either Lizchris, sarcarm or the opinion of the majority of posters. :p
Maybe it's getting a bit too much. :silly:

And some weird things happen - I post a troll thread about the umpire being banned, and then it turns out to be true. :scared:

William Hunt
Sep 9th, 2004, 01:37 AM
Matches get affected by bad calls because humans are judging it. And human make mistakes !

HOWEVER WE MAY NEVER FORGET THAT MOST OF THE LINESMEN AND CHAIRMAN ARE DOING THIS AS A VOLUNTEER OUT OF LOVE FOR THEIR SPORT, WE SHOULD BE GRATEFUL THAT PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO BE A LINESMAN !

I'm sure that the mistakes that are unfortunately made were human errors and not on purpose.

And let's thin a moment about this : THERE ARE A HUGE AMOUNT OF TENNISMATCHES EVERY YEAR. HOW MANY MATCHES ARE NOT AFFECTED BY MISTAKES ? The problem is that every time a call mistake is made, people blow it up and the people who made a human fault are attacked for just beiing human...

disposablehero
Sep 9th, 2004, 01:52 AM
Well you should know that I applied the logic which is most commonly used on the board: If you change a certain situation in a match (like Monica's serve being called good), everything that's following it stays the same. :)
Give Steffi 2 extra holds and its still 4-2. Lose a set with a bagel and it would take a pretty radical change of form to actually win that set.

GoDominique
Sep 9th, 2004, 02:05 AM
Give Steffi 2 extra holds and its still 4-2. Lose a set with a bagel and it would take a pretty radical change of form to actually win that set.
But you are still implying that Monica would have been the BETTER player in the 2nd set no matter who had won the 1st. I disagree with that.
After winning the first set, Steffi can afford a slow start in the 2nd. And she can afford to let the set go after going down 0-4.
I'm not saying Steffi tanked the 2nd set altogether.
But if Monica had won the 1st set, the roles might have been totally reversed, meaning that Steffi might have won the 2nd.
Unless you think that Monica was clearly the better player on that day. :)

arunsjunk
Sep 9th, 2004, 02:22 AM
Matches get affected by bad calls because humans are judging it. And human make mistakes !

How many calls would it take to become more than just "human error"? 2 calls? 4 calls? 10 calls? Would it ever get to that level?

HOWEVER WE MAY NEVER FORGET THAT MOST OF THE LINESMEN AND CHAIRMAN ARE DOING THIS AS A VOLUNTEER OUT OF LOVE FOR THEIR SPORT, WE SHOULD BE GRATEFUL THAT PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO BE A LINESMAN !

Should we accept incompetent judges? Are there a dearth of good umpires? I know there isn't because my father was an umpire. Why should we tolerate incompetent judges when there are so many who want to be a linesman at the US Open?

I'm sure that the mistakes that are unfortunately made were human errors and not on purpose.

And let's thin a moment about this : THERE ARE A HUGE AMOUNT OF TENNISMATCHES EVERY YEAR. HOW MANY MATCHES ARE NOT AFFECTED BY MISTAKES ? The problem is that every time a call mistake is made, people blow it up and the people who made a human fault are attacked for just beiing human...

I'm not quite sure how you're so confident that bias had nothing to do with it. The fact is there were at least 3 bad calls in the last game alone. I might be able to dismiss one bad call to "human error." BTW, your argument for "being human" can pretty much be used as an excuse for any situation.

A simple solution to this problem is instant replay. It would remove any chance of bias affecting the flow of the game.

fammmmedspin
Sep 9th, 2004, 02:36 AM
How many calls would it take to become more than just "human error"? 2 calls? 4 calls? 10 calls? Would it ever get to that level?

Should we accept incompetent judges? Are there a dearth of good umpires? I know there isn't because my father was an umpire. Why should we tolerate incompetent judges when there are so many who want to be a linesman at the US Open?

I'm not quite sure how you're so confident that bias had nothing to do with it. The fact is there were at least 3 bad calls in the last game alone. I might be able to dismiss one bad call to "human error." BTW, your argument for "being human" can pretty much be used as an excuse for any situation.

A simple solution to this problem is instant replay. It would remove any chance of bias affecting the flow of the game.
:confused: Except you can't do it without affecting the flow of the game, If its not a player who decides what should be looked at - you can't review every point - the match would be twice as long. Player A asks for replay. Umpire is given replay - presumably in real or slow time which takes time to prepoare and show. Do the players get to look too:tape: ? Decision made and players prepare for next point. Problem is by then they could have been several points down the game or even in a new game or sitting down in their chair. Then imagine what happens if Serena interrupts the last game to ask for 4 replays as Jen serves it out :devil: - you would never hear the end of it - gamesmanship, only did it to disrupt Jen or recover her strength or concentration .....:eek: .

arunsjunk
Sep 9th, 2004, 02:44 AM
Except you can't do it without affecting the flow of the game, Player A asks for replay. Umpire is given replay - presumably in real or slow time which takes time to prepoare and show. Do the players get to look too? Decision made and players prepare for next point. Problem is by then they could have been several points down the game or even in a new game or sitting down in their chair. Then imagine what happens if Serena interrupts the last game to ask for 4 replays as Jen serves it out - you would never hear the end of it.

This will be all done in real-time. Have another umpire looking only at the instant replay. Have a red light/green light to reflect the decision. Doesn't need to take too long. Hopefully, this doesn't need to be done too many times. This should only happen if the external umpire thinks it's a close call [or have a penalty system for challenges]. No players are involved, and the result must be accepted immediately without further argument.

Tennis_Pedro
Sep 9th, 2004, 04:37 AM
SERENA said it right... Malvena Alves... who should be kicked in the ASS a million times, is ANTI-SERENA and ANTI-BLACK...

Right after celebrating the diversity that Althea Gibson brought about, a SCHMUCK like ALVES did something as low as calling 4 calls that were clearly IN, against SERENA.

It was a blatant CONSPIRACY and display of BIGOTRY while there was a clear MATCH.... If a call like THIS was made against you, you would have been pissed too... THE BALLS weren't close, they were CLEARLY IN...

Serena BEAT Capriati 8 times in a row until the last meeting and she was going to beat her again. But the Conspiracy was that, if she is playing well, FUCK HER OVER.... But there's a GOD... I HOPE that CAPRIATI's career will end abruptly for having no class, and for helping the UMPIRE's conspiracy against such a gifted black athlete.

The ATA should be ashamed of itself... but then again, it is proof that RACISM is right among us, YET NO WHITE PERSON will ever admit that he/she is a racist.... Try going into a company that's being run by a black person successfully, and see how surprised you get? if that's the case, then u've FAILED the Racism Test :), even some of the people who were walking w/ Dr. King failed it and admitted that they had to convert themselves from their brainwashed ways.... WHITE FOLKS have a problem... that WHITE SUPREMACY SHIT has to end, or itll be the object of our destruction... ALL OF US, not just the WHITE RACE, but the HUMAN RACE at large.

PEACE!!!!

Berlin_Calling
Sep 9th, 2004, 04:39 AM
SERENA said it right... Malvena Alves... who should be kicked in the ASS a million times, is ANTI-SERENA and ANTI-BLACK...

Right after celebrating the diversity that Althea Gibson brought about, a SCHMUCK like ALVES did something as low as calling 4 calls that were clearly IN, against SERENA.

It was a blatant CONSPIRACY and display of BIGOTRY while there was a clear MATCH.... If a call like THIS was made against you, you would have been pissed too... THE BALLS weren't close, they were CLEARLY IN...

Serena BEAT Capriati 8 times in a row until the last meeting and she was going to beat her again. But the Conspiracy was that, if she is playing well, FUCK HER OVER.... But there's a GOD... I HOPE that CAPRIATI's career will end abruptly for having no class, and for helping the UMPIRE's conspiracy against such a gifted black athlete.

The ATA should be ashamed of itself... but then again, it is proof that RACISM is right among us, YET NO WHITE PERSON will ever admit that he/she is a racist.... Try going into a company that's being run by a black person successfully, and see how surprised you get? if that's the case, then u've FAILED the Racism Test :), even some of the people who were walking w/ Dr. King failed it and admitted that they had to convert themselves from their brainwashed ways.... WHITE FOLKS have a problem... that WHITE SUPREMACY SHIT has to end, or itll be the object of our destruction... ALL OF US, not just the WHITE RACE, but the HUMAN RACE at large.

PEACE!!!!
wow, you need to stop trying. there are so many things wrong in your post that I don't even know where to begin :rolleyes:

Pamela Shriver
Sep 9th, 2004, 05:37 AM
Unfortunately, matches has always been affected by very bad calls...
True! Look at every loss I suffered throughout my career, especially all 10 million defeats to Chrissie...I was cheated in all of em.

gentenaire
Sep 9th, 2004, 05:53 AM
This will be all done in real-time. Have another umpire looking only at the instant replay. Have a red light/green light to reflect the decision. Doesn't need to take too long. Hopefully, this doesn't need to be done too many times. This should only happen if the external umpire thinks it's a close call [or have a penalty system for challenges]. No players are involved, and the result must be accepted immediately without further argument.

Exactly. I don't think it would take longer than getting out of the chair to check the mark on clay.