PDA

View Full Version : To make you even madder: the umpire never overruled the point

Tennis Fool
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:04 AM
Okay, I listend to the play-by-play on Radio USOpen. The two commentators said the point was not even a "borderline case" it was clearly in, called in by the linesman, and an error was made on the scoreboard as Ad-Jennifer. The umpire never overruled the linesman (as some posters have stated). She instead repeated what was put on the scoreboard, and never consulted with the linesman (the point was on the far side, so she couldn't see from her chair).

That's what makes it so controversial. The commentators both said this will be the talking point if Serena loses concentration and the match.

Richard and her box, however, told her to forget the point and to concentrate on the next game. She did break Jennifer immediately.

Well, I'm not really mad. I like both, and Serena hasn't been playing like a champion this year. Plus, in this match she was huffing-and-puffing and had no answers to Jennifer's sliced groundstrokes.

bmxbandit
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:05 AM
No overrule, no call from the linesmen....

Simply "Advantage Capriati"

Dava
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:06 AM
Why didnt Alveres ask the linesperson...simple as... Im shocked..this is worse thenthe wimbledon ting, cos everyone was confused..here THAT BALL WAS IN...

Jarrett
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:06 AM
UH, she controls the scoreboard on her PDA.

Knizzle
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:07 AM
Yep the ump said nothing, just GAVE the point to Jen. Off straight up GP

*JR*
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:07 AM
Why didnt Alveres ask the linesperson...simple as... Im shocked..this is worse thenthe wimbledon ting, cos everyone was confused..here THAT BALL WAS IN...Write TD Jim Curley: curley@usta.com

raquel
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:19 AM
No overrule, no call from the linesmen....

Simply "Advantage Capriati"
The umpire calls Advantage Capriati. What if Jennifer then did the right thing when she realised and said it was Serena's point? Can the umpire officially go back and change her announcement of the point or is the umpire's first decision final and it wouldn't have made a difference anyway? Does anyone know the rule on that?