PDA

View Full Version : I Want Anyone But Jennifer To Win The USO Now

lizchris
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:02 AM
I am so mad about what happened, I wouldn't mind seeing Elena holding up the trophy and I don't like her, but at least she won her match without cheating.

baleineau
Sep 8th, 2004, 10:15 AM
surely Jen won't be able to cheat her way through another match? it's drawn so much publicity, that surely she'll have to try to win the next matches on her own merit instead of with assistance from the Chair and linespeople.

hopefully Dementieva can crush her and send her packing yet again in the semis. true tennis/sports fans are united in that hope. cheats rarely prosper in the long-term.

KindaNice
Sep 8th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Geez....when are you people gonna realize that it wasn't Jenn's fault about the lines calls. As Richard even said it....it wasn't the lines calls that cost Serena the match, it was the 50+ errors....geez.

"Sluggy"
Sep 8th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Dont be Stupid, Jen didnt do any cheating. its not her fault if a judge didnt do her job. Anyway, one point, or even several points, does not make an entire match.

gRaFiC
Sep 8th, 2004, 10:25 AM
I am so mad about what happened, I wouldn't mind seeing Elena holding up the trophy and I don't like her, but at least she won her match without cheating.

How can you possibly accuse Jennifer of cheating? Are you really going to blame Jennifer for the chair umpire's shortcomings?

baleineau
Sep 8th, 2004, 10:27 AM
half a dozen points doesn't make a match. but if you look when they happened (game points/break points, deuces) they can be HUGE in bringing about shifts in momentum. Capriati should have dropped serve for 5-5, with the momentum clearly in Serena's favour.

try playing tennis yourself. you'd know how important those points were, and you can imagine how furious inside you would be.

hollywood7172
Sep 8th, 2004, 10:56 AM
lizchris, since when have you ever WANTED jen to win any match???

please. spare me. what happened to serena was awful. but please don't act like you were ever any kind of fan of jennifer's.

jabauer
Sep 8th, 2004, 10:58 AM
capriati showed the world just how much character she has - ZILCH

jabauer
Sep 8th, 2004, 11:01 AM
PEOPLE WHO SAY THAT A 'few calls' don't change the match needs to get their butts out there in a tight match and have a few bad calls. It can play with your head. Especially if you feel you can't aim for the lines. it makes a HUGE difference. Capriati's character was put to the test and, she failed.

Trent
Sep 8th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Grow up.

The Crow
Sep 8th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Who cares.

~ The Leopard ~
Sep 8th, 2004, 11:23 AM
:zzz:

lizchris
Sep 8th, 2004, 11:25 AM
lizchris, since when have you ever WANTED jen to win any match???

please. spare me. what happened to serena was awful. but please don't act like you were ever any kind of fan of jennifer's.

I never thought she was going to get to the final and I damn sure don't want her to get ther now.

luvmytennis
Sep 8th, 2004, 11:27 AM
No doubt the UFEs were high; however, the momentum of the match changed as a result of the obvious BAD calls. No ill will against Jen but her comments were crap but that just goes with her overall persona as far as I'm concern. A fair and impartial match between the two would have been better. I've seen other players correct officials before and I applaud them and hold them in my esteem. All I can say at this point. Go Lindsay! Go Elena!

NY-BOOTY
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Who cares who wins now? Whoever wins the US Open will find their victory is tainted because Serena was cheated out of the tournament............. :fiery:

As long as Caprifatty is defeated by Dementieva, I'll be satisfied.

*JR*
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:35 PM
(With apologies to Thomas) ;)

Write TD Jim Curley: curley@usta.com

(And his boss, Arlan Kantarian kantarian@usta.com)

Full staff listing BTW, just use last name @usta.com:

http://www.usta.com/aboutus/default.sps?iType=920&icustompageid=1761

ans
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Americans are so strange. They have a countrywoman in the semis and they all want her out.

oh, and accept it was the umpire's fault and not Jennifer's.
Honestly how many of you'd admit the ball's in when the umpire says it's out and gives you the point. I wouldn't unless I was asked for it and I had seen it (maybe the umpire did ask, didn't see the match).

udachi Elena
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Dont be Stupid, Jen didnt do any cheating. its not her fault if a judge didnt do her job. Anyway, one point, or even several points, does not make an entire match.

Exactly, and even Serena knows this. So while she caught a very very bad break, it is not Jen's fault at all. Bad Line calls happen, Serena knows how to handle them, and that is not what turned this match at all. If anything those kinda things make Serena want to fight harder. So if you want to be pissed at the chair, go for it, she deserves every bit of your anger, Jen does not.

sweetpinks
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Exactly what I said about seeing the match, I am pulling for any Russian to take this, I won't even watch the finals if Jennifer is in it, go Elena

sweetpinks
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Oh yes it does, and by the way Jennefer knew the call was in, she looked and proceeded to walk away, she wanted to win any old way, if the same calls were made in Serena's favour do you think Jen would have been nice about it, I say go Elena D

Wojtek
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:42 PM

Poor you :lol: :lol: Dementieva has new fan becuase Jenny beat Serena

Lizchris :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

sweetpinks
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:45 PM
No doubt the UFEs were high; however, the momentum of the match changed as a result of the obvious BAD calls. No ill will against Jen but her comments were crap but that just goes with her overall persona as far as I'm concern. A fair and impartial match between the two would have been better. I've seen other players correct officials before and I applaud them and hold them in my esteem. All I can say at this point. Go Lindsay! Go Elena!
Watching Jennefer's face last night when the calls were made (4 of them), I could not believe that she was gloating, she knew that at least 2 - 3 were in but she will get hers, on ESPN this morning Serena said the Ump did not want her to go to the finals and I believe that

gweeny
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:52 PM
I don't think Jennifer is going to win the US open anyway. If Lindsay gets into the final, I'm sure Lindsay will beat her. If Jennifer wins, her US open win will always be followed by "However, in her quaterfinals, there was a controversy with the Umpire" I think there will be an * if Jennifer wins the US open. It would have been great for Jennifer to give the pont to Serena (many players have done that), but now she has to live with the guilt and the harrasment.

I guess the motto is win at all costs. Jennifer knows that motto well.

PhoenixStorm
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Jen didnt cheat. Did she show a lack of sportsmanship? Definitely but she never had that anyway.

SO GO DEMENTIEVA GO GO GO GO GO!

Chunchun
Sep 8th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Poor you :lol: :lol: Dementieva has new fan becuase Jenny beat Serena

Lizchris :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

oh... welcome :wavey: :D

JenCpLvr
Sep 8th, 2004, 01:01 PM
How the FUCK is she a CHEATER??????!?!!?!?!!!!!!!!!! :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

Chunchun
Sep 8th, 2004, 01:01 PM
I Want Anyone But Jennifer To Win The USO Now.

I Don't Want Anyone But Elena To Win The USO Now. :D

V-MAC
Sep 8th, 2004, 01:52 PM
half a dozen points doesn't make a match. but if you look when they happened (game points/break points, deuces) they can be HUGE in bringing about shifts in momentum. Capriati should have dropped serve for 5-5, with the momentum clearly in Serena's favour.

yeah Crapriati should have dropped serve for 5-5 in the final set but Serena was robbed again when at deuce when she hit an awesome forehand that was incorrectly called out, and not only that but it was on the umpire's line and she still didn't over-rule the call. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :fiery:
btw, do people not think Elena cheated when she took a medical time-out at 6-5 in the final set against Momo :confused: :confused: :tape: it is sad to think that at least one finalist this year is gonna be a cheater :mad: , let's just hope justice is done and the winner emerges from the top half of the draw.

Neely OHara
Sep 8th, 2004, 01:52 PM
http://www.grijalvo.com/Imagenes_Pep_Tur/lobotomy_required_in_this_area.gif

Harju.
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:37 PM
I wonder if Momo won her match, would she root for Momo?

And one more interesting point, if Jen wins, she must be so pissed.

Chunchun
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:41 PM
btw, do people not think Elena cheated when she took a medical time-out at 6-5 in the final set against Momo :confused: :confused: :tape: it is sad to think that at least one finalist this year is gonna be a cheater :mad: , let's just hope justice is done and the winner emerges from the top half of the draw.

well u think lena use her medical time-out to cheat??

How??

when she comeback at 6-5, Mo hold easily and i cant find any pts lena cheats

Pfffff @ you! :fiery:

gourownway
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:43 PM
I don't think Jennifer is going to win the US open anyway. If Lindsay gets into the final, I'm sure Lindsay will beat her. If Jennifer wins, her US open win will always be followed by "However, in her quaterfinals, there was a controversy with the Umpire" I think there will be an * if Jennifer wins the US open. It would have been great for Jennifer to give the pont to Serena (many players have done that), but now she has to live with the guilt and the harrasment.

Do you really think in the grand scheme of things, say 30 years from now, that any one is going to remember what the hell the * really means?

Please, I'm already forgeting what the problem was at the French with Justine and Serena. News flash...tennis matches are not as important as you think in this world.

Helen Lawson
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:47 PM
I know Loretta Young cheated me out of that Oscar in '48, but them's the breaks. Sure, I don't like her but what am I gonna do? And it wasn't really Loretta who stuffed the ballot box, it was those dummies at Price Waterhouse, they must have counted the votes wrong. I mean I play a tour de force drunk who sings and almost kills her baby in a fire and I lose to some broad who plays a maid who runs for Congress in a light romantic comedy?!?! Sure, Loretta should have been a bigger dame and demanded a recount so that I could have won, but you know what, nobody does that at the Oscars, and they don't do it in tennis either! I sure as shit didn't want a recount in '59, give me a break!

thelittlestelf
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:55 PM
I will be heartbroken if Lindsay doesn't hold up her well deserved trophy.

Tratree
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Question: Can anyone tell me the last time (or any time) Serena had an opponent's ball called out when it was good and she corrected the chair umpire and gave up the point. Anyone? Give me an example and I'll never complain again about you calling Jen a cheater, but until then, STFU. Really, it's beyond childish.

veryborednow
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Exactly, name me any player (sans Ai Sugiyama [TM Sam Smith]) who would have.

Serena broke back immediately, if she's half the champion you boast her to be, she would have gotten over it. Truth is, she played a poor 2nd set, and a poor 3rd set probably attributed to the limited amount of tennis she's played this year.

jenny161185
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Lizchris you really are immature, yes ofcourse Jen cheated , shes probably pumped full of drugs aswell , talk about an extremely sore loser , and now you want Elena to win? but you were so against her after she beat Venus in Miami? no ?

the cat
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:26 PM
I don't blame you for being mad, Liz. :mad: We all know Capriati didn't cheat and is not to blame for the fiasco last night. But Serena got the short end of the stick in the third set from those atrocious line call and no one can dispute that. The hand incident in Paris last year was tough to take. Serena was wronged there in the 2003 French Open semifinals. And last night Serena was wronged again 4 times in the third set and 3 times in the last game. It's hard to believe she could be dealt with so unfairly in the 2003 French Open semifinals and the 2004 U.S. Open quarterfinals. But she was. :( The only thing is we don't know that Serena definately would have won the match last night if she had all 4 calls go in her favor instead of against her. But her chances to win were certainly decreased by those 4 horrendous calls. I've been a tennis fans for 25 years and I've never seen so many bad calls go against 1 player in a big match as I did last night in the third set of Williams/Capriati. :eek: I hope the hand incident from last year and last night's chair umpire and linemen's travesty don't take Serena's heart out of playing tennis. Womens' tennis needs her to play good tennis and be a big star. :)

Was the chair umpire Maria Alves intimidated by Jennifer Capriati's reputation for loudly arguing line calls? Was Serena taken advantage of because she won't argue and cuss about line calls? Possibly. The USTA should ahve made sure a top chair umpire with great experience was in the chair last night. If that was the case the fiasco that occured last night might not have happened.

And Liz, it's hard to imagine you rooting for "The Darling One" Elena Dementieva. :eek: But I'll take it. ;)

udachi Elena
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:27 PM
YOu are all talking about momentum changes... Serena broke capriati right back. So looks like the momentum was on Serena's side. Serena uses bad situations as fuel. Clearly we will never convince certain fans that it didn't make a difference in the match. Serena even said that, Capraiti had her beat. Get over it.

PSUjcapfan
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:28 PM
All of you Jen haters, tell me exactly what the hell you wanted her to do? What could she have possibly done to NOT be considered a cheater and unsportsman like in your opinions? And to say she was gloating?? Come on. Did you want her to stop playing and say, hey I know this is a huge match but I refuse to play on unless Serena is given points? As a player she went with what was going on. It was not her responsibility to stop play. If you ask me all of you have been looking for reasons to come down on Jen with your insults...wow and now you have it. Bravo.

thelittlestelf
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Jen knows the right thing to do would have been to say the ball was in.

Ai Sugiyama, Amy Frazier, and Vera Zvonareva just to name a few would have said the ball landed in.

Jen handled the situation without sportsmanship, but lying to America's face. Clearly it wasn't her fault that the calls were made---but it was her fault for not saying anything and then saying "It was close!" to the Ashe stands.

Jen didn't cheat as much as she was dishonest, and I don't have a lot of respect for dishonest people.

butch
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:30 PM
I can't understand why people blame Jennifer because the umpire wasn't capable of doing her job. I mean, surely if you want to call someone a cheat, it should be the umpire.

the cat
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Capriati is basically blameless in this situation and everyone knows it. It was the chair umpires fault and the linesmen's fault for making those bad calls in the third set. It wasn't Jennifer's fault.

baleineau
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Capriati is basically blameless in this situation and everyone knows it. It was the chair umpires fault and the linesmen's fault for making those bad calls in the third set. It wasn't Jennifer's fault.

I suggest you look at these images. Jennifer clearly saw the ball good, didn't say anything, stole the point, and then told lies afterwards. She then went all cocky and said "I've had balls calls in the past"........as if that's justification for stealing this one? :confused:

http://www.thecyclades.co.uk/cheat.htm

thelittlestelf
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:41 PM
I suggest you look at these images. Jennifer clearly saw the ball good, didn't say anything, stole the point, and then told lies afterwards. She then went all cocky and said "I've had balls calls in the past"........as if that's justification for stealing this one? :confused:

http://www.thecyclades.co.uk/cheat.htm
PROOF! You get rep for that.

LostGlory
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:44 PM

CORRECTION....

1St mistake made her loose the game and she was a game down in the final set instead of being a game up and very upset she couldn't play for a minute....besides it was no where near out....IT WAS SO IN

Last mistake....put her on match point instead of break point in the final game....

SO PLEASE THESE Mistakes were huge and they decided the result....

I was never a Serena's fan but I am still an honest person....

Winston's Human
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:45 PM

If they are going to qualify any potential Capriati, how come they don't do the same with Hewitt's 2001 Open win since he received a similar far sideline overrule in quarterfinals against Roddick at 4-4 gamepoint with Roddick serving to go up 5-4.

udachi Elena
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:47 PM
PROOF! You get rep for that.
Proof the umpire is an idiot, also Proof that Jen was so far from the ball, she had about as great as a view as the ump

thelittlestelf
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Proof the umpire is an idiot, also Proof that Jen was so far from the ball, she had about as great as a view as the ump
Oh please, Jen knew damn well the ball was in. She may have had sun spots, but she knew that ball was way in.

Truthwillout
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:30 PM
I know Loretta Young cheated me out of that Oscar in '48, but them's the breaks. Sure, I don't like her but what am I gonna do? And it wasn't really Loretta who stuffed the ballot box, it was those dummies at Price Waterhouse, they must have counted the votes wrong. I mean I play a tour de force drunk who sings and almost kills her baby in a fire and I lose to some broad who plays a maid who runs for Congress in a light romantic comedy?!?! Sure, Loretta should have been a bigger dame and demanded a recount so that I could have won, but you know what, nobody does that at the Oscars, and they don't do it in tennis either! I sure as shit didn't want a recount in '59, give me a break!

She managed to pull that one on you because she'd been around much longer than you and knew all the tricks of the trade (Loretta made her debut in The Only Way, 1917, she was then 4 years old). True, Cappy has been around longer than most players today. But I'm not sure you can draw any parallel there

Helen Lawson
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:37 PM
She managed to pull that one on you because she'd been around much longer than you and knew all the tricks of the trade (Loretta made her debut in The Only Way, 1917, she was then 4 years old). True, Cappy has been around longer than most players today. But I'm not sure you can draw any parallel there
She also had Clark Gable's illegitimate baby, that got her some votes.

Barrie_Dude
Sep 8th, 2004, 05:16 PM
I am so mad about what happened, I wouldn't mind seeing Elena holding up the trophy and I don't like her, but at least she won her match without cheating.So the chair ump makes a stupid call and it is Jennifer cheating? How do you figure this? You are crazy!

MinnyGophers
Sep 8th, 2004, 05:34 PM
It is the same thing that happened with Klina s\Sprem with Venus. I really believe that it wasn't Jen's fault at all. Could she have asked for a replay? Yes. But so could Serena. Could she have asked to redo the point? Yes. But so could Serena. It is as much the fault on Jen as it was on Serena not fighting the call.
And yes the umpire should be banned forever from any tennis court.
From that distance (looking at photo), I wouldn't be surprised if Jen didn't see it. The ball goes really fast, and when you are confused, it's even more blurry.

angelia
Sep 8th, 2004, 08:49 PM

In situations like this I can totally understand your sentiment. However, if history is anything to go by, dishonest people do prosper. I would not be at all surprised if Capriati continues to benefit from the preferential treatment of another tennis umpire in this US open and walk away with the trophy. Unfortunately, such is life!!!!!

DunkMachine
Sep 8th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Can't blame Jennifer.... you win some you lose some. This time, she's won alot of points to her advantage. Get over it.

Stamp Paid
Sep 8th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Question: Can anyone tell me the last time (or any time) Serena had an opponent's ball called out when it was good and she corrected the chair umpire and gave up the point. Anyone? Give me an example and I'll never complain again about you calling Jen a cheater, but until then, STFU. Really, it's beyond childish.
French Open 2004 2R against Maria Kirilenko. Kirilenko aced Serena in a tight second set, and the linesman called it out, and Serena Williams corrected him and told the umpire it was good.

NOW Shut the fuck up!

baleineau
Sep 8th, 2004, 09:02 PM
In situations like this I can totally understand your sentiment. However, if history is anything to go by, dishonest people do prosper. I would not be at all surprised if Capriati continues to benefit from the preferential treatment of another tennis umpire in this US open and walk away with the trophy. Unfortunately, such is life!!!!!

well she proved it in Australia in 2002. She bullied the linespeople and umpire into calling things her way. total gamesmanship with the "get the fuckin' referee" outburst.

i think umpires are well aware of Capriati and know that they're best of letting the close calls go her way.

faboozadoo15
Sep 8th, 2004, 09:06 PM
:rolleyes: like we need another thread about what liz thinks... :scared:
this is a good sequel to her "i hope elena crushes jenn" thread...

tennisluver99
Sep 8th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Cmon Lindsay,Elena,Nadia kick Jennifer "THE PIG" Capriati's big fat lying ass back to Florida!!!!!!!!!!!

brunof
Sep 8th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Those who continue to beat a dead horse are really not tennis fans at all. :worship:

Thank god I was brought into tennis by Natasha Zvereva and not Richard Williams... :lol:

ali
Sep 8th, 2004, 09:15 PM
From that distance (looking at photo), I wouldn't be surprised if Jen didn't see it. The ball goes really fast, and when you are confused, it's even more blurry.
Having watched it again, it was pretty obvious that Jen was as shocked as anyone when she heard "advantage Capriati". She looked at the umpire and then looked really confused - I do think she saw it in (hell, everyone saw it in!!)

Saying that, I don't really blame her for not saying anything because there are very few people who would have and at the end of the day, its not her job to do so.

angelia
Sep 8th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Having watched it again, it was pretty obvious that Jen was as shocked as anyone when she heard "advantage Capriati". She looked at the umpire and then looked really confused - I do think she saw it in (hell, everyone saw it in!!)

Saying that, I don't really blame her for not saying anything because there are very few people who would have and at the end of the day, its not her job to do so.

Oh, I guess it IS her job to question close calls that go against her, but NOT her job to question a ball that CLEARLY lands INSIDE the line if the point was earned by her opponent.

Black Mamba.
Sep 8th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Life has a funny way of making things even, I wouldn't be suprised if in Jen's next matches all the close calls went against her.

JonBcn
Sep 8th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Ai Sugiyama, Amy Frazier, and Vera Zvonareva just to name a few would have said the ball landed in.

Sugiyama would have reached the ball in the first place, Frazier would never have reached the QF, and Zvonareva would have been too busy crying or hitting herself on the head to notice.

ali
Sep 8th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Oh, I guess it IS her job to question close calls that go against her, but NOT her job to question a ball that CLEARLY lands INSIDE the line if the point was earned by her opponent.
Well that's the norm for most players, yeah. Although if the call had gone against Jennifer instead of Serena I imagine she'd be still talking to the "fucking referee" about it now! ;)

Jen annoys the hell out of me when she queries so many calls, and I wanted Serena to win last night, but I still don't blame her for not giving Serena the point.

ali
Sep 8th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Sugiyama would have reached the ball in the first place, Frazier would never have reached the QF, and Zvonareva would have been too busy crying or hitting herself on the head to notice.
:lol:

Crazy_Fool
Sep 8th, 2004, 09:57 PM
Capriati doesn't have to do anything, I know some are bitter about the defeat, but in that situation you have to take every point that you can get. I'm not sure that Serena would have done anything different - i don't ever remember her doing anything like that.

angelia
Sep 8th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Capriati doesn't have to do anything, I know some are bitter about the defeat, but in that situation you have to take every point that you can get. I'm not sure that Serena would have done anything different - i don't ever remember her doing anything like that.

Nobody has to be honest about anything, but I find it refreshing when tennis players demonstrate in the heat of the moment, that "winning at any cost" need not be their mantra.

Someone posted an example in another thread of Serena giving a point to an opponent. There are so many threads on this subject that I can't recall which one has the example.

thelittlestelf
Sep 8th, 2004, 10:34 PM
French Open 2004 2R against Maria Kirilenko. Kirilenko aced Serena in a tight second set, and the linesman called it out, and Serena Williams corrected him and told the umpire it was good.

NOW Shut the fuck up!
YES!!!!! THATS the example I was thinking of!

Martian Jeza
Sep 9th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Typical from the Sisters fans : JHH cheated in 2003 to defeat Serena Williams at RG and now it's Jennifer Capriati's turn to cheat and again against Serena Williams.

Serena Williams = the calimero of tennis !