PDA

View Full Version : And on the night they honor Althea...

Cam'ron Giles
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:57 AM
Talk about a pat on the back with one hand and a slap across the face with the other...:rolleyes:

Cam'ron Giles
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:26 AM
Does anyone else find this a double insult?

*JR*
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:35 AM
Write TD Jim Curley: curley@usta.com

Volcana
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:15 AM
It was very appropriate to see line calls of that sort on a night when Althea Gibson was honored. It gave people a chance to see the kind of line calls Althea Gibson had to overcome.

Good job by the USTA.

tennischick
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:37 AM
Topshotta you're right: that does indeed make for a double travesty. :sad:

lizchris
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:41 AM
I do.

Althea, Arthur and the woman who was gunned down at the age of 25 or 27 must be spinning in their graves now.:fiery:

Ted of Teds Tennis
Sep 8th, 2004, 05:17 AM
This thread sounds like Lleyton Hewitt's "Look at him!" incident with James Blake from a few years back.

Cam'ron Giles
Sep 8th, 2004, 05:24 AM
This thread sounds like Lleyton Hewitt's "Look at him!" incident with James Blake from a few years back.
Really? How so?

BK4ever
Sep 8th, 2004, 05:27 AM
Jen is the USTA's princess...I have witnessed first hand behavior that validates that fact...they are not at all sad that Serena and Venus lost...they are probably just a lil annoyed that the ump made such an obvious mistake and made then look bad...but still overall pleased with the outcome. I worked for them, I know first hand the shit they say about V&S behind close doors...

This shit happened on Althea's night is almost comical..

geojango
Sep 8th, 2004, 05:27 AM
sorry, but i don't think your argument has merit.

:worship: go althea!!! :worship:

(if there is a racial conspiracy here, it's that it's taken them this long to honor her!)

lizchris
Sep 8th, 2004, 05:47 AM
Jen is the USTA's princess...I have witnessed first hand behavior that validates that fact...they are not at all sad that Serena and Venus lost...they are probably just a lil annoyed that the ump made such an obvious mistake and made then look bad...but still overall pleased with the outcome. I worked for them, I know first hand the shit they say about V&S behind close doors...

This shit happened on Althea's night is almost comical..

What do they say about Venus and Serena?

You can PM me if you don't want to post here.

mp3junkie
Sep 8th, 2004, 05:49 AM
It was very appropriate to see line calls of that sort on a night when Althea Gibson was honored. It gave people a chance to see the kind of line calls Althea Gibson had to overcome.

Good job by the USTA.
:worship: :worship: :worship:

lizchris
Sep 8th, 2004, 05:51 AM
Write TD Jim Curley: curley@usta.com
Who's that?

switz
Sep 8th, 2004, 05:54 AM
i don't really think it warrants "spinning in their graves" comments are warranted here. serena gets a lot respect as well even though tonight was absolutely horrible. i think the celebration of althea gibson achievements should be the focus here and not trying to bring down this joyous event into a really unfortunate one.

lizchris
Sep 8th, 2004, 05:56 AM
i don't really think it warrants "spinning in their graves" comments are warranted here. serena gets a lot respect as well even though tonight was absolutely horrible. i think the celebration of althea gibson achievements should be the focus here and not trying to bring down this joyous event into a really unfortunate one.

The sad part is that no one will remember this night as Althea Gibson nigh; it will alwyas be known as the night that Serena got robbed.

Cam'ron Giles
Sep 8th, 2004, 06:10 AM
But the irony cannot be ignored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the cat
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:40 PM
A a USTA member I am embarrassed at what happened to Serena Williams last night. :o We all know bad calls happen in tennis. But Williams wasn't given a fair chance to win a very close match. That overrule in the first game of the third set was the worst overrrule I've even seen! :eek: Serena's shot was about an inch inside the sideline and that have that overruled from the far side of the court by the chair umpire was simply ludicrous! Maria Alves the chair umpire may have ruined her career last night. Then in the final game of the match the linesmen make 3 bad calls that hurt Serena's chances to make a comeback. It was just ridiculous. And it was sad for Serena who wasn't reated fairly. And that's a fact.

Neely OHara
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:42 PM
http://www.elyriaschools.k12.oh.us/northwood/Orchestra/4%20violinists.jpg

Shane54
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Tsk, Tsk, Tsk. Let me get my little violin out and start playing :sad: :sad:

Ted of Teds Tennis
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Really? How so?

Lleyton Hewitt was obviously implying that the line judge was biased in favor of Blake because both of them were the same race.

The impression I get from this thread (and in other fora BTW) is that people are thinking the chair umpire was biased in favor of Capriati because both of them are the same race.

Neely OHara
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Tsk, Tsk, Tsk. Let me get my little violin out and start playing :sad: :sad:

http://www.treasury.state.pa.us/graphics/TBlkHist99-6.jpg

OUT!
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Lleyton Hewitt was obviously implying that the line judge was biased in favor of Blake because both of them were the same race.

The impression I get from this thread (and in other fora BTW) is that people are thinking the chair umpire was biased in favor of Capriati because both of them are the same race.Really? I got the impression that it was showing how far black tennis players had come (or not come) since the overt racial prejudice of Gibsons era. A slap in the face? Not really. There were plenty of commentators saying that the umpire and lines judges had made a complete ass of themselves. In Gibson's day, I doubt anybody would have uttered a word.

OUT!
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:01 PM
http://www.treasury.state.pa.us/graphics/TBlkHist99-6.jpgI think I understand why you have that username now. Politically aligned to that character perchance?

Fantastic
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:04 PM
I don't see what one thing has to do with the other. The chair umpiring and line calling was horrific but it had nothing to do with Althea. It had everything to do with shoddy work from so-called professionals. Having said that though, everyone has off days and sometimes it happens at important moments.

Cam'ron Giles
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:29 PM
http://www.treasury.state.pa.us/graphics/TBlkHist99-6.jpg
You are pathetic...no wonder you are a figment of Jacky Susan's imagination...:lol: :tape:

Neely OHara
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:39 PM
You are pathetic...no wonder you are a figment of Jacky Susan's imagination...:lol: :tape:

http://www.themusicgarden.com/assets/gallery/TN25Young%20Violinists.jpg

Helen Lawson
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:41 PM
http://www.themusicgarden.com/assets/gallery/TN25Young%20Violinists.jpg
LMAO! You go, Neely. The old girl still has it in her, even if she is "somewhat" younger than I am!

Neely OHara
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:43 PM
LMAO! You go, Neely. The old girl still has it in her, even if she is "somewhat" younger than I am!

Pffft "somewhat"? Ha!

Hi Hel! Back in a bit...

SJW
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:47 PM
hopefully it wont take Serena (and Venus) death and 50 years to get the respect they deserve from Americans :wavey:

Paneru
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:53 PM

I most certainly did! :rolleyes:

Also, why did we only see a little snipet
of her ceremony as well? :rolleyes: