PDA

View Full Version : Jennifer fans

SJW
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:55 AM
i'd like to hear your views on the following events:

1) the calls that went Jen's way
2) Serena's reaction to Jen at the net
3) Jen saying she didnt see the call when she was about 2 feet from a ball inside the line
4) the crowd booing Jen for saying that
5) Jen saying that she had calls against her also and it's about time she got some her way

now i used to be a big Jen fan, massive in fact, my love for her had decreased recently, but i've lost all respect for her, not for the match or the calls, but her comments just now. that may make me a hater, but those comments were classless and inappropriate.

GoDominique
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:57 AM
I'm not a Jen fan, but I could imagine that the Jen fans have better things to do right now, like celebrating Jen's win. :)

selking
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:58 AM
hell yea

Ryan
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:58 AM
1) Not Jenn's fault. The Umpire is 100% accountable for it.
2) Serena was extremely classy! She probably doesn't think it was Jennifer's fault either, she would have done the same thing in that situation.
3) Unlikely, but not a single person on the earth would say "Yeah I saw it in, but I didn't feel like saying anything" :rolleyes:
4) Pretty funny, and appropriate.
5) A little funky, but true. Every player has calls go against them. Serena had LOTS in that match, but its not Jennifer's problem.

Cybelle Darkholme
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:00 AM

3) Jen saying she didnt see the call when she was about 2 feet from a ball inside the line
5) Jen saying that she had calls against her also and it's about time she got some her way

now i used to be a big Jen fan, massive in fact, my love for her had decreased recently, but i've lost all respect for her, not for the match or the calls, but her comments just now. that may make me a hater, but those comments were classless and inappropriate.
Of course it was classless but it is jen we're talking about. Who knows what we would do in that situation. If i was serena i wouldnt even consider that a loss.

Its not jens fault but she benefited and so I must cheer against her in this tournament.

jpurkey1
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:01 AM
[QUOTE=SJW]i'd like to hear your views on the following events:

1not jenn's fault at all, but it was bad officiating.
2 total class. it was a TOUGH FOUGHT match. more respect for serena.
3 what do you expect? it's not her job to call lines.
4 whatever, no opinion
5 she couldn't have known how polemic the calls from the last game, from her vantage point she just saw they were close. she'll live to regret those words, though.

go jen! get to final and lose to lindsay! :-)
serena--good luck in rest of year! may you get to lots of finals and lose to lindsay (or if lindsay isnt' playing, may you win!)

Mase
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:02 AM
1) Its tennis that stuff unfortunatley happens. Thats why I as well as many other are advoctaes for Shot Spot. Until then, its going to happen.
2) I thought she handled that well, you have to respect that.
3) No one knows if she really had a great view of that. Unless Im on the court right there where Jen was I wasnt I cant and no one can say what she did/didnt see.
4) They're entitled to their opinion, and they shared it.
5) She was pretty much saying shit happen, which is does.

Look there were some bad calls, but those 4 points didnt mean the match. It was still a hard fought match from both, and I give bot a lot of credit for fighting thier hearts out..

bmxbandit
And the face that Jennifer said that game went to Serena anyways, which in fact is WRONG. I lost some respect for Jennifer after that. Still a fan though.

Serena :(

Mase
I'm not a Jen fan, but I could imagine that the Jen fans have better things to do right now, like celebrating Jen's win. :)
:bounce::bounce::bounce:

The calls sucked but hey, it was about more than just those calls.

Knizzle
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:03 AM
Jen fans you can be Jen's fans, but she is a fucking bitch who will do anything to win, she is extremely dishonest and cannot be trusted.

Zhao
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:04 AM
1) That's tennis..
2) No question abt it...Serena is classy...gracious in defeat...
3) well she probably seen it but choose to keep quiet... all players would have done that...esp in such a crucial match
4) As usual... Jenn showed nerves of steel by serving out the match...
5) true... she shd not have rub it in but she did suffer from non-calls in the past that caused her crucial victories... Cest la vie i guess

*JR*
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:04 AM
Write TD Jim Curley: curley@usta.com

yukon145
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:05 AM
in a tight 3rd set would any play say that they should lose the point?? i really really dont think so. Jenn had no affect on the bad calls, she had nothing to do with the calling of the lines, she should not be blammed. i liked the exchange at the net and thought it was very nice, they clearly don't hate each other like everyone says. we all know that Jenn most likey knew the that one call was serena's point, but shes the only one who will really know, so don't assume anything. go Jenn!! nice match Serena.

faboozadoo15
umm, it's true. calls go both ways, and it IS about time jenn gets one her way. i'm not justifying the linespeople because what they did was wrong, but FOR THE RECORD... i've NEVER seen serena forfeit a point to an opponent because she saw a ball in that was called out.
obviously it was so far removed from jenn's brain that she went on to think that serena had actually won that game.

thelittlestelf

Obviously the Ump's fault.

Totally classy, almost too friendly.

Totally unacceptable. She knew damn well that it was in. DAMN EFFING WELL.

Absolutely deserved.

Out of context.

Ryan
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:06 AM
Jen fans you can be Jen's fans, but she is a fucking bitch who will do anything to win, she is extremely dishonest and cannot be trusted.

:rolleyes: And the angelic Serena would have fessed up about a line call like that? Give me a break. You can be pissed off, but the dramatics are over-doing it.

gourownway
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:06 AM

now i used to be a big Jen fan, massive in fact, my love for her had decreased recently, but i've lost all respect for her, not for the match or the calls, but her comments just now. that may make me a hater, but those comments were classless and inappropriate.1. The only call she could have really reacted to that would make you feel better was the shot the was CLEARLY in. It's a shame she didn't, but would any other player re-act at the time it happened? She stayed in the back and out of the argument. Serena was CLEARLY right and had every reason to be pissed. Having said that, the rest of the calls were linesmen problems not Jen's to correct.

2. Never have been a big fan of Serena, but classy non the less.

3. You are putting a person who does not have any type of interview or skills on the spot by asking her about the call in front of 20 so odd thousand people. It's Jen here, did you expect Shakespere?

4. They booed, they had the right to, she had a come back (an oddity for Jen) and the fans cheered once again. They deserved there chance and they got it.

5. That's the way she feels, the crowed cheered, so some people felt that way too. There are at times where calls do not go her way. Jen should thank the tennis Gods tonight.

I'm still a Jen fan, tried and true, I don't think her comments where that bad to turn someone into a hater. It's too bad, I think there is more behind your new found dislike then just the comments tonight. However, I respect your opinion and I'm sorry you are no longer a fan.

PointBlank
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:07 AM
Shit happens,and like Sprem said she its not her job to keep score its not Jennifers job to call lines
I think it was great it shows awesome sportsmanship
People can miss balls
Get the stick outta there Yankee asses
Preach it sister.

Butchwax
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:07 AM
It was the lame clothing Serena was wearing. Not only did it look stupid but she couldn't wasn't able to play in them.
This is the best US Open ever.

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2004-09-08T012236Z_01_USO46D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

faboozadoo15
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:08 AM
omG, get over it... lol, come on already.
i've never seen serena forfeit a point that went her way :rolleyes: this is professional tennis... ie-- serena on occasion tries to take her opponent's head off.

Greenout
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:09 AM
Look at it this way, it's karma of sorts. She lost the big one last
year to the great J, she lost a match that really was hers at RG
this year then humiliated and ridiculed by Serena in Wimbledon.

Isn't about time something good happened to her?

G1Player2
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:10 AM
:rolleyes: And the angelic Serena would have fessed up about a line call like that? Give me a break. You can be pissed off, but the dramatics are over-doing it.
Ryan17, Knizzle may be reffering to Jen's reacting AFTER the match...She said that Serena WON the game anyway which is entirely untrue...SHe also said it is about time calls go in her favor which is STUPID if they are IN...

Jem
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:11 AM

I'm not a Capriati fan, but here are my thoughts.

1. The calls were atrocious, especially in the last game. If I were the tournament referee, I'd have a serious meeting with the umpire and the linesmen who made the bad calls. I'd review the tapes and seek some explanation. It was some of the worst line calls I've seen since the 1970s, specifically at the Italian Open.

2. Serena's reaction was pure class. I'd love to know what she said, but she seemed genuinely congratulatory and well wishing of Jennifer.

3. It was very unfair to ask Jennifer that question in that setting. I imagine she saw it in. I hope I would have answered, "I thought it was in, but you play the calls you're given -- good or bad."

4 & 5. I'm lumping these together because I see a connection. The boos are a harbinger of things to come for Capriati. I do not believe she will beat Dementieva. I don't think she has it in her to return to a major final, and I think she'll feel the heat of the bad calls and all the press it's sure to generate. Capriati has had her fair share of luck, and it's that poor-me attitude that keeps her on the outside looking in at the winner's circle.

Go Davenport -- this is your title to win!

SJW
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:11 AM
and what about Serena? she's been at the bad end of a couple of poor shows of sportsmanship in slams....

thanks Jen fans, i can see why you guys like Jennifer now :wavey:

PointBlank
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:13 AM
and what about Serena? she's been at the bad end of a couple of poor shows of sportsmanship in slams....

thanks Jen fans, i can see why you guys like Jennifer now :wavey:

Was that sarcastic? Im not trying to be funny but seriously?

ys
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:14 AM
In my book Jennifer now is as much of a cheater as Justine.. She saw that the shot has NEVER been called out.. She knew that the umpire made a mistake.. Not made a wrong call, made a scoring mistake.. She was the only person that could have corrected it.. :mad:

DEETHELICK
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:23 AM
Jen lost that game, so it all evened out.

The commentator here said Jen should keep her mouth shut and play by the calls, as in matches like these, the calls even out. Later, one did. Jen also rebroke after that. So it kinda steadied the ship.

Later, some calls were bad, very close. The linespeople and umpire were shitty.

Serena showed awesome class. Its nice seeing her in that mode. Even more impressive was the way she handled herself.

Jen vs Elena :eek: love em both! ;)

Veritas
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:24 AM
thanks Jen fans, i can see why you guys like Jennifer now

So suddenly it's wrong for her fans to defend her?

She was the only person that could have corrected it

The linesmen were the ones who could have "corrected" it. They did not do their job properly. It is not Jennifer's responsiblity to do the job for them.

SJW
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:25 AM
she didnt lose it. she broke Serena.

and if you're in the UK, and watched it on Sky Sports, no they didnt :) they were as shocked and appalled by the calls as everyone else.

no point blank im being serious. from the replies in this thread, i can see why Jen fans like her

mboyle
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:26 AM
hhaaa sucks to be a williams fan yet again! hahahaha

jbone_0307
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:26 AM
I think Jenn fans need to take a look at Carlos Moya's match against Ljubicic, when he gave the call, which was out and correctly called out by the ump, gave him the benefit of the doubt and it cost him the set, but he won. Shows that players have a say in calls(if wrong) and show what class players have.

PointBlank
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:28 AM
no point blank im being serious. from the replies in this thread, i can see why Jen fans like her
True Class. I also see why Serena fans like her by her true class on the hand shake.

Ryan
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:30 AM
Ryan17, Knizzle may be reffering to Jen's reacting AFTER the match...She said that Serena WON the game anyway which is entirely untrue...SHe also said it is about time calls go in her favor which is STUPID if they are IN...

Players get games, scores, points screwed up so much it isnt worth anything. In her interview Serena didn't even knwo if she won the second game, so it's a forgivable mistake for Capriati to make.

Ryan
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:33 AM
she didnt lose it. she broke Serena.

and if you're in the UK, and watched it on Sky Sports, no they didnt :) they were as shocked and appalled by the calls as everyone else.

Of course you can.

JenCpLvr
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:35 AM

1) I can count numrous times where one player happened to be on the lucky end of the match when it came to line calls.
2) Serena's reaction was indeed classy.. She didn't have to be so gracious and as a Jen fan, I appreciated it. I'm sure she will gain many new fans because of it.
3) It's not Jennifer's responsibility to make line calls.. If she indeed saw the ball in, it wasn't right for Jen to continue on to the next point.. But, I don't believe she did.. How can we say she didn't have sweat in her eyes?? or that she was running so hard that she wouldn't have seen the ball til she was right on it?? To make assumptions against Jen is asinine... About as asinine as asking Jennifer to speak about a controversial call after her win.
4) I'm sure the only fans booing were ones that were pulling for Serena from the word go.
5) If Jennifer was speaking in reference to that one call, it was a tasteless comment.

Bottom line... Jennifer isn't and SHOULD NOT be held responsible for poor calls.. That's why lines people are there.. otherwise they would allow the players to call their own shots... Serena did, however, get the short end of the stick on a ball that was clearly in. It was unfortunate, but was not Jennifer's fault.. You guys have to stop blaming the player themselves if they happen to end up in the winners circle.. The same thing happened to Karolina Sprem..
You can't deny the fighting spirit.

WtaTour4Ever
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:42 AM
I'm primarily a WS fan but I do root for Jen too. All I can say is that I it is rare and not expected for a player to give a call to another player, I've seen it but rare. And I do think there is truth to the fact that all players have times when calls go against them. I get more upset at Jen for acting a fool on line calls against her right or wrong, than I am about this.

Tratree
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:56 AM
The ball was in, no doubt. I'm a very big supporter of instant replay, shot spot or whatever you call it. That said, many calls are missed in every match of tennis played. It sucks very much for Serena to gave gotten those bad calls, but unfortunately it does happen to everyone. Usually it does even out, not this time though.

Unbelievably gracious and classy considering the events of the night. She also handled her press conference very well. She's angry and bitter about the calls and she has a right to be, but she also acknowledged she had her chances to win that match and didn't do it.

Jen said it was close, she never said it was out. She just went by the umpire's call. 100% the umpire's fault. As far as her saying Serena won the game anyway, she made a mistake people. To call that lying is just childish. Her heart is going 135 beats a minute and she is interviewed and says the wrong thing. Shoot her, she remembered wrong.

They were upset....that's their prerogative to boo. I thought she handled it well.

I'm sure just about every player feels that way.

I really do emphathize with Serena's fans. It was f-ed up for sure. But you know that tennis is not won or lost on a few bad calls. They weren't even game points or break points they happened on. Serena didn't lose because of bad calls, she lost because she hit too many errors. I hope Serena comes back with a fury and gets back to the level I know she is capable of like when she was dominating the game. She handled it very classy and for that you can be proud.

I don't particularly appreciate the tone a lot of people are getting about Jennifer's fans. I think every post I've read to a person acknowleged the errors and said Serena was gracious. Your issue is with the officiating, not the player, IMO, and certainly not with the fans. I have no problem whatsoever with how Jennifer handled herself tonight and I'm proud to be her fan and happy she's in the semis.