PDA

View Full Version : I Think The Media Is Making Too Much Of This So-Called Jennifer/Serena Rivalry

lizchris
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:43 PM
Let's face it; Serena is leading the series 10-6 and Jennifer has only managed two wins off of her in the past three years.

WtaTour4Ever
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:45 PM
I think b/c they tend to be pretty close matches, even when Jennifer was winning.

bandabou
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:46 PM
I think because you can set the clock on them meeting at EVERY tournament they both play, it´s been build up as a rivalry...and they tend to produce thrillers too.

decemberlove
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:47 PM
well, they need something to try and pull the casual fan in...

thelittlestelf
Did you hear Ted say when they did a shot of Richard Williams in the stands, "I hope he's writing an apology to you, Tracy!" Mind your own business, Ted, kthx.

PointBlank
When Jen or Serena won it was usually in a hard fought match..except 2 or 3..and at first Jen always beat Serena then the vise-versa now they both have their moments against each other

decemberlove
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:48 PM
Did you hear Ted say when they did a shot of Richard Williams in the stands, "I hope he's writing an apology to you, Tracy!" Mind your own business, Ted, kthx.
what happened?

i must've missed it.

bandabou
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:51 PM
Easy, easy ted...

Barrie_Dude
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:52 PM
I think b/c they tend to be pretty close matches, even when Jennifer was winning.Even most of the ones she lost have been close.

Barrie_Dude
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:52 PM
And, Jennifer and Serena respect each others game

jbone_0307
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Right now, Serena is on Fire and Jennifer cant do a thing about it. Shes running Jennifer around like a rag doll. The last entertaining match from these two was at Wimbledon 2001, the rest, Serena has been whooping up on that ass and/or both playing bad.

decemberlove
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:53 PM
so, umm, what exactly does richard have to apologize to tracy about? what did he say about her?

CC
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:54 PM
I think it's great how they build it up. It's get's you all excited and eager!

PointBlank
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Right now, Serena is on Fire and Jennifer cant do a thing about it. Shes running Jennifer around like a rag doll. The last entertaining match from these two was at Wimbledon 2001, the rest, Serena has been whooping up on that ass and/or both playing bad.
Jen beat Serena at Rome and RG when she was fine so fuck off. K.

CC
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:58 PM
so, umm, what exactly does richard have to apologize to tracy about? what did he say about her?In a response to her criticism of Venus' game where she said Venus needs outside coaching, Richard said she wanted to break apart his family and that maybe she didn't have a good childhood/upbringing herself.

Then tonight when the camera focused on Richard writing something Tracy said, "Is he taking notes?" and asshole Ted said, "Hopefully writing an apology to you."

Rocketta
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:58 PM
so, umm, what exactly does richard have to apologize to tracy about? what did he say about her?
He was mad at Tracy's commentary over the Venus/Rubin match and he said she probably had a terrible home life growing up.

jbone_0307
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:59 PM
Richard got all personal about her, hinting at the fact that she may have family problems when she suggested Venus get a coach, which she soo desperately needs. He responded like an immature 6th grader. He could have said, she needs to tend to her own business and left it at that.

Celeste
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:59 PM
I think it's a great rivalry. The matches are usually close, they bring out the best in each other! It's not exactly Martina/Chris or even Steffi/Monica, but it's the best we have these days.

G1Player2
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:00 AM
This was only 1 month and a half in Serena's comeback...

decemberlove
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:00 AM
In a response to her criticism of Venus' game where she said Venus needs outside coaching, Richard said she wanted to break apart his family and that maybe she didn't have a good cildhood/upbringing herself.

Then tonight when the camera focused on Richard writing something Tracy said, "Is he taking notes?" and assholes Ted said, "Hopefully writing an apology to you."
ha at richard. LOL.

i basically missed the last two days or tennis. so thanks for the update :)

Rocketta
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:01 AM
I'll just say I hope Tracy's not holding her breath waiting on that apology? :unsure:

Joana
Well, that is a pretty harsh remark from Richard. Were Tracy's comments that bad?

decemberlove
He was mad at Tracy's commentary over the Venus/Rubin match and he said she probably had a terrible home life growing up.
i remember tracy's commentary on the vee/rubin match...

did richard say this after that match or after yesterdays loss?

CC
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:03 AM
You're welcome D.

I thought it was funny how when they were flipping the coin Jennifer refused to make eye contact with Serena, even when Serena was looking right at her. Made me wonder if Jenny was in a battle frame of mind. ;)

PointBlank
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:03 AM
This was only 1 month and a half in Serena's comeback...
Did Jennifer not come back late in the seaon .. after Venus also right? .. and Serena was playing great in Naqdaq when she came back .. and she did good in Rome and Paris before Jennifer beat her..Excuses. Excuses.

jbone_0307
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:04 AM

Haha read my post carefully and/or both playing bad, Serena played a horrible match at RG and Rome and Jennifer and Serena both played a horrible match at Wimbledon. Unfortunately, unlike you I'm intelligent so I dont even have to scoop down to that level.

The crowd is really behind Jennifer, guess the US Open crowd is really aware of the drugging Serena gave to Jennifer at Wimbledon :haha: :haha: :lol:

decemberlove
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:05 AM
You're welcome D.

I thought it was funny how when they were flipping the coin Jennifer refused to make eye contact with Serena, even when Serena was looking right at her. Made me wonder if Jenny was in a battle frame of mind. ;)
yeah, i noticed that too. she wasn't even looking at her face...

G1Player2
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:05 AM
Did Jennifer not come back late in the seaon .. after Venus also right? .. and Serena was playing great in Naqdaq when she came back .. and she did good in Rome and Paris before Jennifer beat her..Excuses. Excuses.
No excuses...Jenn won fair and square, but there is no way that you can take those matchups all that seriously when Serena had just come back from a major injury and it had only been a little over 4 weeks since she came back...

CC
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:08 AM
yeah, i noticed that too. she wasn't even looking at her face...
Hence the way the match started off ... I hope it doesn't turn into a one sided dud.

faboozadoo15
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:08 AM
I'll just say I hope Tracy's not holding her breath waiting on that apology? :unsure:
well i wouldn't like to be known as the person who is too proud to apologize :tape:

Rocketta
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:09 AM
i remember tracy's commentary on the vee/rubin match...

did richard say this after that match or after yesterdays loss?It was after that match and Tracy mentioned it during the Henin match.

jbone_0307
HA! Why am I watching another drugging given by Serena. :haha:If Serena plays this way consistently, then she has the title in the bag.

faboozadoo15
Let's face it; Serena is leading the series 10-6 and Jennifer has only managed two wins off of her in the past three years.
you have a problem with everything... so this doesn't come as a shock.
but really, what's the problem with the media getting people excited about a tennis match??? isn't this what we want MORE of?

jbone_0307
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:11 AM
OMG Serena is just running her around everywhere

Rocketta
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:11 AM
well i wouldn't like to be known as the person who is too proud to apologize :tape:
What's pride got to do with it? How about he's not going to apologize cause he meant every word he said. ;)

but you're right Tracy shouldn't want to be known as the person who doesn't want to apologize...:eek:

jbone_0307
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:12 AM
Serena leads 6-2

tennisIlove09
this match is boring. the rivarly is a thing of the past

thelittlestelf
you have a problem with everything... so this doesn't come as a shock.
but really, what's the problem with the media getting people excited about a tennis match??? isn't this what we want MORE of?
She's right though, Jen and Serena's matches are usually decided by unforced errors. Personally, I've had enough of Serennifer!

faboozadoo15
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:13 AM
What's pride got to do with it? How about he's not going to apologize cause he meant every word he said. ;)

but you're right Tracy shouldn't want to be known as the person who doesn't want to apologize...:eek:
i bet tracy meant every word she said and i bet she still does... especially seeing how venus was dismissed in straight sets by davenport :tape: and evnus is much younger than lindsay and has also lost three times in a row to her on hardcourts. i bet tracy still thinks venus would need a coach. thanks.

there's little however, to make richard draw any inference from what tracy said that would make him believe she had a bad childhood...

please read.

WtaTour4Ever
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Is Serena playing extremly well, or is Jennifer playing badly.....??

jbone_0307
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:15 AM
Serena is on fire, shes has Jennifer running around everywhere.

SJW
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:16 AM
bring back venus vs jennifer. this matchup has been beaten to death

thelittlestelf
Is Serena playing extremly well, or is Jennifer playing badly.....??]

A tad of both.

lizchris
Is Serena playing extremly well, or is Jennifer playing badly.....??
In the first set, Jennifer won 22 points; 15 of them came off of Serena's errors and she only hit three winners.

AjdeNate!
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Always drama.

Rocketta
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:17 AM
i bet tracy meant every word she said and i bet she still does... especially seeing how venus was dismissed in straight sets by davenport :tape: and evnus is much younger than lindsay and has also lost three times in a row to her on hardcourts. i bet tracy still thinks venus would need a coach. thanks.

there's little however, to make richard draw any inference from what tracy said that would make him believe she had a bad childhood...

please read.
did I say Tracy didn't believe a word she said? :unsure:

However so does Richard which is why he won't apologize and he speculated on her childhood which would mean he didn't know one way or the other.

I guess it's alright to insult Richard but if Richard insults someone else well then it's a national tragedy...

Please sell the :bs: to someone else.

jbone_0307
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:19 AM
Tracy's comments were made at the Rubin/Venus match!!! That even solidifies her reasoning, if Richards comments were before Venus' loss to Lindsay.

GoDominique
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:19 AM
Jen has broken and held serve. I predict that she will win the second set if she keeps on breaking and holding serve.

AjdeNate!
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:21 AM
Jen has broken and held serve. I predict that she will win the second set if she keeps on breaking and holding serve.
:haha:

Joana
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:23 AM
However, if she doesn't keep breaking and holding serves, she will lose. But if Serena also doesn't keep breaking and holding serves, then I don't know who will win.

GoDominique
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:24 AM
Serena has held serve. However, if Jen holds serve four more times, it's very likely that she will take the second set.

faboozadoo15
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:24 AM
mathematically, i believe that too ;)

faboozadoo15
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:26 AM
did I say Tracy didn't believe a word she said? :unsure:

However so does Richard which is why he won't apologize and he speculated on her childhood which would mean he didn't know one way or the other.

I guess it's alright to insult Richard but if Richard insults someone else well then it's a national tragedy...

Please sell the :bs: to someone else.
please don't tell me you are so brainwashed that you don't see a difference in attacking someone personally by making accusations about someone's childhood and talking about how a player could benefit from a different coach.
saying venus needs a new coach isn't an "insult" to richard because it doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad coach. venus just needs something more and something different. however, speaking about the way someone was brought up when you really have no clue... that's pretty shady. besides, tracy is paid to talk about players, their lives, their tennis, and that includes their coaches too. thanks.

bandabou
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Hmmm..I think faboo has a point here. Richard overreacted juuuuuuusssssttt a little.

jbone_0307
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:32 AM
please don't tell me you are so brainwashed that you don't see a difference in attacking someone personally by making accusations about someone's childhood and talking about how a player could benefit from a different coach.
saying venus needs a new coach isn't an "insult" to richard because it doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad coach. venus just needs something more and something different. however, speaking about the way someone was brought up when you really have no clue... that's pretty shady. besides, tracy is paid to talk about players, their lives, their tennis, and that includes their coaches too. thanks.

You took the words right out of my mouth!

GoDominique
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:32 AM
Hater. :shout:
If you don't like my posts, don't reply.

Rocketta
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:34 AM
Neither Tracy, me nor you gets to decide what Richard feels is an insult. He was insulted he lashed back..beginning....middle...and end of story.

He will not apologize because he believes she has a thing against him and his daughter. She's not going to apologize cause she feels she was justified.

What about that you don't understand? :shrug:

I hope Tracy doesn't hold her breath waiting for that apology cause it will surely never come.

You think Tracy is all angelic in her commentary and I disagree. She may not have meant it as mean spirited as he took it but she's damn annoying never the less, imo.

jbone_0307
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:40 AM
Nobody is talking about who owes who an apology, but the fact that the comment was immature and judgemental, whearas Tracy's comment is justified, just look at Venus' results and they do the talking.

SJW
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:40 AM
you guys are awful! :lol:

Shenay La Soul
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:42 AM

I see the logic in your point but I don't agree with it. To me it's a genuine rivalry because the matches are usually close and exciting. There was also a point where one got into the other's head and it affected the outcome of a lot of their matches. First it was Serena losing the close ones, then it was Capriati. On the other hand, Capriati never got into Venus's head. Venus was unflappable and it seemed to psyche Capriati out.

Stamp Paid
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:43 AM
Serena, come on babe!

faboozadoo15
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:43 AM
Neither Tracy, me nor you gets to decide what Richard feels is an insult. He was insulted he lashed back..beginning....middle...and end of story.

He will not apologize because he believes she has a thing against him and his daughter. She's not going to apologize cause she feels she was justified.

What about that you don't understand? :shrug:

I hope Tracy doesn't hold her breath waiting for that apology cause it will surely never come.

You think Tracy is all angelic in her commentary and I disagree. She may not have meant it as mean spirited as he took it but she's damn annoying never the less, imo.
omG, bullshit alert. just because it's what richard feels it was an insult and responds by digging deep and trying to be hurtful DOESN'T MEAN IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO!
you even said he "lashed back" and i think we can all agree that that's never the right thing to do nor is it very honorable and defendable. but you are brainwashed and feel he can do no wrong, so i won't bother. enough people have responded positively to my post, so i really needn't waste my time on you.

and i doubt tracy is actually waiting for an apology. everyone knows richard is a laughable tennis character who lacks the necessary backbone to admit he was wrong.

WtaTour4Ever
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:52 AM
I think he over reacted just abit....we constantly hear about other players and their issues including but not limited to Dementiava/Capriati(Serve).

GoDominique
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:54 AM
This match is going into a third set.
However, let's not forget that Serena has won six slams, while Jen has only won three.

Rocketta
omG, bullshit alert. just because it's what richard feels it was an insult and responds by digging deep and trying to be hurtful DOESN'T MEAN IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO!
you even said he "lashed back" and i think we can all agree that that's never the right thing to do nor is it very honorable and defendable. but you are brainwashed and feel he can do no wrong, so i won't bother. enough people have responded positively to my post, so i really needn't waste my time on you.

and i doubt tracy is actually waiting for an apology. everyone knows richard is a laughable tennis character who lacks the necessary backbone to admit he was wrong.
you must be having a conversation with someone else cause no where in here did I say it was the right thing to do? I said he believed what he said and he's not going to apologize. That's the truth.

Yeah we all know that about Richard. If you want to have a discussion about what he said take it to the thread where it's posted cause that was not my point. You don't seem to get it.

Richard is not going to apologize cause he believes what he said....he believes Tracy deliberately insulted him. You might not like it or wish it was different but it's not. Just deal with that reality will ya?

Tracy deserved to be criticized for her commentary during that match she didn't need to be insulted personally. However, no one wants to see that Richard took it personal so he lashed out with a personal insult. Just because Tracy says now she didn't mean it as an insult to him do you think he believes her? She did the right thing and ignored the comment by Ted (so I hear) cause the best thing is to move on. I'm sure Richard has since he's going about his business just like her.

thelittlestelf
Third Set Alert.

Julian
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:56 AM
Compared to the rivalries nowadays I would call the Serena/Jen "rivalry" a CLASSIC!! WHY you may ask??

Because they mostly go 3 sets..and most of all..theres ALWAYS DRAMA, TENSION, and EXCITEMENT...ALWAYS..

tennisfan22
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:57 AM
How is 10-6 H2H not a rivalry ? 11 of those 16 matches have been 3 set matches :rolleyes:

GoDominique
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:59 AM
BTW, Jen did hold serve four more times, as I predicted.
If Serena takes the third set (which is likely), she will advance to the semifinals.

tennisfan22
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:59 AM
However, let's not forget that Serena has won six slams, while Jen has only won three.

How is that relevant here ? :rolleyes:

tennisfan22
Sep 8th, 2004, 01:00 AM
BTW, Jen did hold serve four more times, as I predicted.
If Serena takes the third set (which is likely), she will advance to the semifinals.

Are you dumb ? If a player wins a QF match they go on to the semifinal . You don't have to tell everyone that :rolleyes:

thelittlestelf
Sep 8th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Omfg Serena That Ball Was So In! You Go Girl!

jbone_0307
Sep 8th, 2004, 01:06 AM
OMG!! What in the hell is wrong with the judges??? It should be fucking 1-0 15-40 Serena!

jbone_0307
Sep 8th, 2004, 01:07 AM
It should be 2-0 Serena

GoDominique
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Their matches are so boring. :)

sartrista7
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:11 PM

:haha:

That's not even a parody of lizchris, it IS lizchris.

tennisfan22
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:10 PM
:haha: I guess its no longer a rivalry . This year Jennifer leads 3-1 :woohoo:

CC
Sep 8th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Wow, what a dud. Just like I suspected.

Joana
Sep 8th, 2004, 11:18 PM
:yawn:
Boring match.

silverwhite
Sep 10th, 2004, 10:23 PM
I agree. And I think it is hurting Jen. I have a feeling that she gets too pumped up for her matches against Serena that when she wins them, she goes off the boil the next round (FO 2004 SF, first set of USO 2004 SF).