PDA

View Full Version : Elena Dementieva is best if she gets serve corrected

G1Player2
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:40 PM
Not really that big of a fan of Elena Dementieva, but I realized that she would be an incredible contender for EVERYTHING if she could only get that serve corrected...

Watching her match against Mauresmo proved this to me...

Elena's groundies are the best in the business or as good as anyone else's...She has pretty good mental toghness, solid to great court coverage, and elatively good and comfortable at the net and a KILLER forehand...

If Elena got that serve together to at least the point that it wasn't a liablity and didn't hit so many double faults, it would be a Long HOT summer for the rest of the tour...

SzavayFi
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:42 PM
yea i know, the french open final, I can serve about twice as good as she did that day........and im not even ranked within the top ten of texas yet....that IS a major problem that she really needs to fix

cirelowe
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:45 PM
I've argued time and time again that Elena is the BEST technical player, bar none! If she corrects that serve, I feel that she will hold the position (Number 1) for a while!

Cire

lolo21
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:45 PM
I've argued time and time again that Elena is the BEST technical player, bar none! If she corrects that serve, I feel that she will hold the position (Number 1) for a while!

Cire

calm down, she has only beat momo which is far from being an incredible performance ,especially in a GS game :o
but still it s true that elena could be an awesome player with a better serve, she really has a great forehand

treufreund
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:46 PM
hmmm. maybe. by the same token if Amelie Mauresmo could flatten out her forehand she is the best in the world. yep, I think I would give a very slight edge to a Mauresmo with an improved forehand over an Alyona with a better serve but it would still be very very close.

Julian
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:48 PM
Exactly..Elena may have the serve of a junior or maybe not even! lol but she has the heart of a champion..and being a long time fan of a player who had just the same heart I kno what I am talking about ;)

SzavayFi
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:49 PM
hmmm. maybe. by the same token if Amelie Mauresmo could flatten out her forehand she is the best in the world. yep, I think I would give a very slight edge to a Mauresmo with an improved forehand over an Alyona with a better serve but it would still be very very close.
no i dont think amelie needs to flatten out her serve......that wouldnt be smart

StarDuvallGrant
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:49 PM
Watching Elena today was scary. Not a fan, but she would be the #1 player if she fixed her serve.

tennnisfannn
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:51 PM
Elena's net play was pure magic. So much fun to watch.

bigshow21
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Yeah i watched her practicing yesterday at the US Open!!! She was working on her serve for a long time. I never really knew how bad her serve was until i saw during the match against Vera! But she is really nice and friendly. I dont know how anyone could not like her. I like her now and am routing for her. But Amelie is really nice too. She signed autographs for a lot of people but she has bad BO like Justine! But I like them all now (except if they are playing Jen)!!! I will post pics of her tomorrow or the next day!

SzavayFi
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:53 PM
i think shed be alot alot better............but not number one, her Groundies arent as good as Lindsays........

Kart
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:55 PM
This is a pointless discussion - although you're absolutely right ;).

She will never change her serve because she's too stubborn.

The end.

ali
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:58 PM
I've seen a few of her matches this week on tv and do think that if she improved her serve she'd be a major threat at all the Slams. Her ground strokes are lovely to watch and she seems to have an iron will and determination.

I guess she has to decide if she wants to be a good top 10 player who will reach semis/the odd final playing as she does now, or whether she will risk taking some time out to work on the serve (big time!) in order to reach the very top. Its one or the other though I'm afraid.

CJ07
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:59 PM
you could say this about any player

Davenport would be invincible if she had The WS Mobility
Hingis would be invincible if she had the WS Power
Serena would REALLY be invincible if she had the consistency of Hingis
Venus would REALLY be invincible if she had a consistent serve and forehand

You could go on and on, the fact is, they aren't, and Dementieva is included

but I do agree

ali
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:04 AM

but I do agree
True but Elena's serve is technically bad, and I'm sure could be improved with some intensive coaching just in this area. Hell, even if she could practice getting her ball toss right it would be an improvement (and I'm sure that's not impossible to do).

Consistency, power and movement can't really be tought - just improved on. Technique on how to throw up the ball and hit a serve can be I think.

AkademiQ
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:04 AM
Elena just continues to prove her ranking is befitting of her talent. If Elena fixes that serve there is no question that she is truly one of the top best players!

treufreund
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:07 AM
i did not say that Amelie should flatten out her SERVE. Her FOREHAND!

SzavayFi
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:09 AM
i did not say that Amelie should flatten out her SERVE. Her FOREHAND!
yea i know, she doesnt need to flatten out her FH

WtaTour4Ever
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:15 AM
I have to say that I agree she has excellent groundstrokes....it just amazes me that she is #6 with it. However I don't know how much better she would be with a better serve b/c players don't seem to punish her b/c of it.....ok maybe the dfs kill her but not the serve alone.

Chunchun
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:16 AM
:yeah: :yeah:

▀coene
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:22 AM
Let's hope she will be able to improve her serve. Then we will see how that will affect her ranking. Her groundstrokes are very good indeed, it's a joy to watch them.

I saw her once irl. She lost against Petrova, but I was impressed by her groundstrokes, also a little by her looks ;). Since them I'm a bigger fan of her.

I'm glad she won today. Again she was impressing me today by some of her play. Still she lost the first set, then I had to leave. But she won afterall. :D

JLDementieva
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:37 AM
Yeah, Elena would be so good if she had a good serve, but I think there is a weakness to every player's game that hinders them from being at the top. Whether it's nerves, forehand, serve, etc. That's why no player can ever be perfect. But that's no reason to ever stop practicing that serve though! :)

Shenay La Soul
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:44 AM
Not really that big of a fan of Elena Dementieva, but I realized that she would be an incredible contender for EVERYTHING if she could only get that serve corrected...

Watching her match against Mauresmo proved this to me...

Elena's groundies are the best in the business or as good as anyone else's...She has pretty good mental toghness, solid to great court coverage, and elatively good and comfortable at the net and a KILLER forehand...

If Elena got that serve together to at least the point that it wasn't a liablity and didn't hit so many double faults, it would be a Long HOT summer for the rest of the tour...

Dementieva definitely has talent and I agree with you on all counts (closer to one of the best in today's game) except for net play. She still seems a bit awkward when she comes to net (she doesn't take the initiative to go in). She still needs to prove herself to me in the sense of winning more titles and beating the best players more often.

hilde26
Sep 8th, 2004, 01:27 AM
I think that elena's body shape is somewhat different from those of other tennis players. Her legs are well-developped-thick and strong, but seem to have some different arch from other player. I think it affects her shape of shourders and upper body. The width on her both shourders looks too narrow.And her shourders go a little bit inward. This hinders her to do natural swing. Her forehand is very good. But when she does it, she lowers her entire body and heavily relys on the centrifugal force of her waist and legs. She can't use her waist and legs when she serves, because one have to fully steretch one's body when serves.

To improve her serve, I think that she needs body reshaping focused on her upper back near her shoulders. (Sorry for my broken english)

Knizzle
Sep 8th, 2004, 01:31 AM
She should fire her coach, she must not be a "real" tennis player.

fammmmedspin
Sep 8th, 2004, 01:52 AM

but I do agree
Its interesting but since the williams sisters descended into UE land all the contenders for number 1 have major deficiencies. Head, Serve/post Olympic shock, Serve/fitness/matchplay, head/mobility. Elena is the next one who word is serve but her head is probably strongest of that lot and her ground strokes and mobility are second to none and only Davenport is more consistent. Give her anything like Petrova or Sveta's serve and she would be unstoppable.

Kim must be looking forward to coming back too.

William Hunt
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:04 AM
The biggest problem with Elena's serve if that she tosses the ball op wrongly. Every times she tosses the ball is too far ahead and not thrown up straight. Because of this he has to alter her strike position, sometimes even has to move her body towards the ball to hit it. Of every player in the top 200, she has the worst serve.

The problem with it is that it's almost impossible to change it right now. U can change these things with Junior players, but with players of her age it's too late (especially because the way she plays it has become a habit). The best that she can do is train to change her toss up, that would help.

DEETHELICK
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:33 AM
Elena is world no. 5 at the moment. Could be higher.

For those who saw the match from about 2-3 in the 2nd set, Elena began hitting her serves the way she does in practice. Hard, flat, kicked and pacy.

She can technically do it, she just reverts to the old motion as she gets too comfortable with it match play.

But she was hitting big serves, all over the box, 1st and 2nd. Its there, Olga needs to coax it out of Elena a little more.

Good luck the rest of the way Elena!!! :)

AjdeNate!
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:54 AM
Go Elena

Harju.
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:59 AM
Beating Momo who was hardly playing her best, and ta ta, she's now the best player.

[yes, i love cat fighting]

10nisfanofruz
Sep 8th, 2004, 09:35 AM
I absolutly agree that she is the best if she gets serve corrected.
No doubt about her mentality I hope that she will beat Jen in semi.
:)