PDA

View Full Version : Kuznetsova/Petrova will be Davenport's toughest test

vogus
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:31 PM
whichever one of these Russians meets Davey in the semi's will be a more confident and more dangerous opponent than Venus was in R16. This is where Davenport is either going to grind it out or mail it in, and we will see what she is really made of. Davey-Venus was a great and entertaining match, but Venus isn't the at the top of her game and i think the old, mentally tougher Venus would have won that match.

treufreund
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:08 PM
davenport has more experience and EVERY SHOT in the BOOK. her serve is very consistent and her defensive skills during rallies are very impressive nowadays. lindsay's core strength is now so strong as to withstand Venus's power which makes her one tough cookie.

Williams Rulez
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:16 PM
If lindsay serves the way she did today, I'd say she is in the finals...

Jakeev
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:21 PM
whichever one of these Russians meets Davey in the semi's will be a more confident and more dangerous opponent than Venus was in R16. This is where Davenport is either going to grind it out or mail it in, and we will see what she is really made of. Davey-Venus was a great and entertaining match, but Venus isn't the at the top of her game and i think the old, mentally tougher Venus would have won that match.
Oh please u are giving wayyyyy to much stock into both Russian players. Lindsay's biggest challenge will be against Serena Williams who I think she will end up facing in the final.

CJ07
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:26 PM
remember that Kuznetsova has really yet to have her breakthrough.

Personally, I think she has the best serve of anyone on her side of the draw outside of Lindsay right now. And if everything is clicking and Lindsay is a bit off guard, her breakthrough could be now

fammmmedspin
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Anyone done the Maths? When does Lindsay make number 1? Is it the final or SF? If its the SF that adds pressure to Lindsay.

Jakeev
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Anyone done the Maths? When does Lindsay make number 1? Is it the final or SF? If its the SF that adds pressure to Lindsay.
Big deal. Lindsay has been in this position wayyyyyy many more times than Nadia and Svetlana. Recheck you math baby and realize this is a much bigger occasion for the two Russians.

I suspect Lindsay will be ready for any opponent at this point.

alfonsojose
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Lindsay has to beat Asagoe first. It looks pretty easy but we have to wait ;)

alfonsojose
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Lindsay has to reach finals to become no. 1

vogus
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:17 PM
actually Jak, i think you are giving wayyyy too much stock to Lindsay... but we shall see.

Jakeev
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:22 PM
actually Jak, i think you are giving wayyyy too much stock to Lindsay... but we shall see.
Nope I call it the way it is......but like you said we shall see.

sartrista7
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Big deal. Lindsay has been in this position wayyyyyy many more times than Nadia and Svetlana. Recheck you math baby and realize this is a much bigger occasion for the two Russians.

I suspect Lindsay will be ready for any opponent at this point.

Like Capriati had been in her position at RG wayyyyyy many more times than Nastya, and Serena had been in her position at Wimbledon wayyyyy many more times than Maria?

Whoever gets to the semi out of Nadia and Sveta will play with nothing to lose, because by that time both will have had their best ever US Open and a win over the form player of the moment is icing on the cake.

I also think you're underestimating their games far, far too much.

Lindsayfan
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:25 PM
lindsay has no pressure on becoming the #1 as she already was it. she only wants to win the tournament, in my opinion. anyway sveta/nadia wont bother lindsay more than bovina/venus did.

alfonsojose
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Lindsay has to win U.S. Open and she'll get the no. 1. In her less points scenario (beating Asagoe, Petrova (rank. 14) and Serena (rank. 11)) she would have 4555 points. Amelie has 4527.

alfonsojose
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Justine will be no. 3 and Myskina no. 4

sartrista7
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Nastya is ahead of Justine.

Jakeev
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Like Capriati had been in her position at RG wayyyyyy many more times than Nastya, and Serena had been in her position at Wimbledon wayyyyy many more times than Maria?

Whoever gets to the semi out of Nadia and Sveta will play with nothing to lose, because by that time both will have had their best ever US Open and a win over the form player of the moment is icing on the cake.

Again, so what? Have you been sleeping? What kind of year is Lindsay having compared to Serena and Jennifer? Now add Svetlana and Nadia to the equation.

Sveta and Nadia are solid players but they are gonna have to do something special and Lindsay not so special for them to even have a chance.

sartrista7
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Again, so what? Have you been sleeping? What kind of year is Lindsay having compared to Serena and Jennifer? Now add Svetlana and Nadia to the equation.

Sveta and Nadia are solid players but they are gonna have to do something special and Lindsay not so special for them to even have a chance.

Well, Serena's been to a Slam final, which is more than Lindsay's done so far :shrug:

Oddly enough, I think it's because of Lindsay's stellar warm-ups that I think she'll falter. Before she ran rampant in California, I'd pencilled her in as early US Open favourite, simply because she wasn't going to Athens - but I think she's too big a target now, and she's peaked too early. I'm not going to predict anything about the semis... everyone has to get through the quarters first. But I have more doubts now than I did two months ago.

Jakeev
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Well, Serena's been to a Slam final, which is more than Lindsay's done so far :shrug:

Oddly enough, I think it's because of Lindsay's stellar warm-ups that I think she'll falter. Before she ran rampant in California, I'd pencilled her in as early US Open favourite, simply because she wasn't going to Athens - but I think she's too big a target now, and she's peaked too early. I'm not going to predict anything about the semis... everyone has to get through the quarters first. But I have more doubts now than I did two months ago.

Be positive I think Lindsay will handle her next two matches just fine.

sartrista7
Sep 7th, 2004, 10:26 PM
Be positive I think Lindsay will handle her next two matches just fine.

Oh I'm being positive, I'll be supporting the Sveta/Nadia winner against her :lol: If I had to choose, I'd still say on balance it's most likely that Lindsay will win the USO out of everyone left... but it's not cut and dried, and Sveta should certainly not be underestimated.

tennnisfannn
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:36 PM
Kuznestova may push her. She has a good serve, very stingy with errors which lindsay needed to get past venus and moves extremely well. But Lindsay very rarely gets upset, she usually lives up to her seeding.

G1Player2
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:48 PM

Excellent post!!!:worship: :worship: :worship:

I just knew it was over In Roland Garros for Myskina and I never even thought twice of Maria taking Wimbledon...

They may eat their words...

Also, this is Davenport we are talking about here...No matter how well she is playing we know that she hasn't been the spokesperson for taking advantage of the chances she has been given...

SzavayFi
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:52 PM
Ok i cant stand Sveta and i love Nadia, but i am thinking Nadia is gonna have a let down and Sveta is gonna play very well........and then Davenport will play Sveta in a tight match......Serena/Capriati will beat Elena and we will have an all american final.......thats my opinion.......

Jakeev
Sep 8th, 2004, 01:40 AM
Oh I'm being positive, I'll be supporting the Sveta/Nadia winner against her :lol: If I had to choose, I'd still say on balance it's most likely that Lindsay will win the USO out of everyone left... but it's not cut and dried, and Sveta should certainly not be underestimated.

Nope and neither should Lindsay.......

GO LINDSAY!!!!!:kiss:

Andrew.
Sep 8th, 2004, 01:49 AM
Lindsay raped Petrova the last time they played 6-1 6-1. Svetlana and Lindsay have never played. It should be an interesting match, but I think Lindsay should come out the winner...