PDA

View Full Version : Deserving Number 1? Players Game number 1?

SerenaSlam
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:23 PM
A lot of talk about being "deserving" of the actual number 1 ranking. But here is an interesting thought. Has Justine been being thought of as "number 1" actually, meaning her game right now was "number 1 calibur"? With that said, what about Amelie and Lindsay?

I ask this b/c, was at a youth convention, and they were showing Serena vs. Patty, and saw her ranking was seeded at number 3. All were shocked and were wanting to know, when she became number 3, and how b/c her game was clearly the best. you know, they aruged for so long Serena is number 1. Now i gave Serena her props, in my mind, Serena's game is number 1. But i explained that Serena was out and injured a lost so many points etc, she lost thank rank.

But to me it was a surprise that so many still consider Serena as the number 1 even though they are basing it on her game. That is why, when it comes to the rest of the players on the tour, who do they feel has the best game right now, to be considered number 1?

SilK
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Serena really had this impressive run... when she did the Serena Slam, people tend to keep that in mind easier...

Right now, Davenport is the player to beat, as they keep saying in the papers and on TV. So, right now, she is concidered to be the #1!

turt
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:31 PM
It's obvious that, before Justine got her virus, she was definitely the player you want to avoid in your half of the draw!

Actually, that's what the "real number one" is IMO! I think despite her loss, Justine is still that player, although Lindsay is probably a toss-up.
Amélie is the 3rd player IMO. Serena, well she's a dangerous floater: if she can regroup and play her best again, then she definitely belongs to the Lindsay/Justine category, but I don't think she's quite there yet. Maybe a win at the US Open would do the trick.