PDA

View Full Version : Will Mauresmo choke vs Dementieva after knowing she is already nearing the number 1

azmad_88
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Will she?

Chunchun
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:20 PM
hope so :)

Good Luck LenaD!

stenen
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:23 PM
:rolleyes:

Ekkekko
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Let me say something...
Since it's only a couple of words, I hope you understand Azmad_88.
This thread is gila and bodoh....Amen!
You're inciting kegilaan than eva..
I hope i wrote it correctly...That is if you come from where you placed your flag...

Helen Lawson
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:26 PM
One thing's for sure, we won't know for sure until the match starts.

My bet is she gets through this, but might do a monumental choke in the semifinals, though she was ok at WB. Amelie is like tracking a hurricane, no one really knows where it's going to go, no matter what they say.

stenen
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:30 PM
. Amelie is like tracking a hurricane, no one really knows where it's going to go, no matter what they say.

:worship: :worship: so true! :haha: :lol:

Harju.
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Let me say something...
I hope i wrote it correctly...That is if you come from where you placed your flag... :haha: :haha:

Sonja
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:06 PM
One thing's for sure, we won't know for sure until the match starts.

My bet is she gets through this, but might do a monumental choke in the semifinals, though she was ok at WB. Amelie is like tracking a hurricane, no one really knows where it's going to go, no matter what they say.
Exactly! I just want her to finally break through and get a slam.

She'll have her doubters/haters no matter what she does though. :rolleyes:

volta
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:07 PM
i don´t know but Momo and pressure are 2 things that don´t go well together.

lizchris
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:32 PM
We'll know in a few minutes since it looks as of Lleyton Hewitt (who I thnk will win the USO this year) is wrapping up his match against Beck.

Zhao
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Let me say something...
I hope i wrote it correctly...That is if you come from where you placed your flag...
:lol: :lol:

Helen Lawson
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:12 PM
She (Amelie) just took the first set 6-4, though it appeared she had some problems holding her serve when up 5-4, so maybe there are some choke tendencies coming through, but worse case scenario, she's winning through the choking, at least for the first set.

jlamire
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:27 PM
She (Amelie) just took the first set 6-4, though it appeared she had some problems holding her serve when up 5-4, so maybe there are some choke tendencies coming through, but worse case scenario, she's winning through the choking, at least for the first set.
45% first seves is awfully low...

skanky~skanketta
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:40 PM
looks like she is.

jenglisbe
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:41 PM
I think Amelie has played decently so far, other than her serve percentage. Demetieva was just on fire from the ground in the last half of the 2nd set.

Helen Lawson
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Tied match, 6-4, 4-6!!!

It's dead heat!!! It's not like Elena herself hasn't treated us to some gag-fest chokes this year either, so this third set, well, who knows.

fammmmedspin
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:44 PM
I don't know what this debate about number 1 is about. If you close your eyes when she serves its perfectly clear that Dementieva is a clearly deserving number 1. Now if her leg doesn't hurt too much.......

thelittlestelf
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Go Elena!

bandabou
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:53 PM
She´s choking it, she´s choking it....and you better believe she will choke it! three df´s in this game..:haha: :rolls: Tjaaa...beautiful game and all, but the head?!

fammmmedspin
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:53 PM
I underestimated Elena's serve. Momo's is worse.

Wojtek
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Amelie is doing it again.

Havok
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:55 PM
:haha: Will this girl EVER stop choking should be the question.:scared:

Spunky83
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:57 PM
I don´t care, I just know that this match is awesome (not counting Elena´s serve)!!!
Nice Rallyes, nice baseline game!

Darop.
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Why-ee-ess.

thelittlestelf
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Elena's backhand has been more potent than her forehand today! Surprising.

Spunky83
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Elena's backhand has been more potent than her forehand today! Surprising.

Maybe she should consider tossing the ball and then hitting the serve with the backhand;)...worth a try

Helen Lawson
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:24 PM
At least from looking at it on the Internet, it looks like a gag-fest is going on on Ashe stadium, and I mean from both parties.

WF4EVER
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Momo had so many chances; she just blew them. What a choker! I won't be at all surprised when she chokes this service game and the match away.

bandabou
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:45 PM
:haha: :rolls: She blew it....it´s amazing.

cynicole
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Are we surprised?

Havok
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:49 PM
And the answer is yes.:drive:

Helen Lawson
I'm a little surprised, I thought Amelie would win easily. Did she choke or did Elena play really well? It looked like both players were fast and loose there in the third, but that's just watching the score.

:sad: Better luck next time, Amelie!

I guess Hurricane Amelie turned from a Category 4 to a tropical storm and went back out to sea.... :cool:

lizchris
Will she?
She did and it may cost her the number one ranking.

SWP
lets just hope that for the good of the game, mauresmo does not reach no1.

Zhao
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Alyona well done :yeah:

lizchris
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:50 PM
She will unless Lindsay wins the USO.

SerenaSlam
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:51 PM
i dunno if Amelie chocked or not, but like i said in the earlier post. from the ground Elena was too good For Amelie. Off the ground she had 41 winners and 33 errors. She double faulted 15 times which is shocking for her to even still win, but those DF's is what gave her 48 errors all togther. once she got her serve in, she was doing extremley well.

cynicole
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Maybe if she does, the WTA might fiddle with the rankings system again.

...Not sure if that's a good thing though.

SWP
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:54 PM
mauresmo does not have a winning mentality. She is not a winner. Davenport, both williams, capriati, sharapova, henin etc are all winners, Mauresmo is not a winner but a clown and a choker.

harloo
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:54 PM
LOL!! Momo has did it once again.:rolleyes:

harloo
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:56 PM
It's not that Momo does not have a winning mentality. However, I think she is too passive with her shots. She really should be a little more aggressive to force the issue. Demented's serve is so awful and weak and Amelie did not attack it.

Lady
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:56 PM
I just don't get it! Why can't anyone give credit to Lena?? Have you seen her passing shots? She played awesome!

Why you always need to use this excuse of choking! :shrug:

Mrs. Peel
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:57 PM
I guess that sports shrink is staying on the payroll :rolleyes:

Where is the tear your hair out smiley? Amelie :mad:

GoDominique
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:58 PM
It's not that Momo does not have a winning mentality. However, I think she is too passive with her shots. She really should be a little more aggressive to force the issue. Demented's serve is so awful and weak and Amelie did not attack it.
She attacked it at the end but then it was too much. :o

Pureracket
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:59 PM
i dunno if Amelie chocked or not, but like i said in the earlier post. from the ground Elena was too good For Amelie. Off the ground she had 41 winners and 33 errors. She double faulted 15 times which is shocking for her to even still win, but those DF's is what gave her 48 errors all togther. once she got her serve in, she was doing extremley well.C-H-O-K-E-D!!!!!!!:fiery:

harloo
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:59 PM
I just don't get it! Why can't anyone give credit to Lena?? Have you seen her passing shots? She played awesome!

Why you always need to use this excuse of choking! :shrug:
Cmon now, with Lena's serve she will be lucky to get one game when she meets either the Capster or Serena.

On paper Amelie is supposed to beat a Dementieva. Amelie has a way of choking a match away and losing concentration and she did so in this match.

henree
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:03 PM
This tournament was Mauresom's for the taking. With Henin out and Williamsx2 still not up to form, she had a great chance to take the trophy. Ugggggggghhhh I am glad I am not a fan. Because after that FO loss to Elena, and now this, I would be damn near suicidal if I was a Mauresmo supporter. :rolleyes:
Come next year at the Aussie Open all the women including Clijsters who owns Mauresmo, will be 100% match tough. Mauresom may never win a slam again...

tumbleweed
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:04 PM
how come Dementieva is running and moving well if she's supposed to have a thigh injury?

lizchris
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:05 PM
LOL!! Momo has did it once again.:rolleyes:
BTW, I said from the beginning that neither Mauresmo, Sharapova nor Davenport will win this tournament (though I was hoping Amelie would win today). Well, two of my predictions came true.

SWP
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:06 PM
BTW, I said from the beginning that neither Mauresmo, Sharapova nor Davenport will win this tournament (though I was hoping Amelie would win today). Well, two of my predictions came true.

doesn't exactly take a genius to work out that mauresmo wasn't going to win us open considering she doesn't win slams.

sartrista7
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Cmon now, with Lena's serve she will be lucky to get one game when she meets either the Capster or Serena.

What, like she got nine games from Serena just a few weeks ago? I think Lena will lose to Serena, but I don't think she'll be embarrassed to the extent you suggest. She has one of the best ground games on tour, and her forehand is the best hands down, an absolutely lethal stroke.

Pureracket
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:13 PM
What, like she got nine games from Serena just a few weeks ago? I think Lena will lose to Serena, but I don't think she'll be embarrassed to the extent you suggest. She has one of the best ground games on tour, and her forehand is the best hands down, an absolutely lethal stroke.Sartrista,
You really think that Elena D's forehand is better than Lindsay's and JenCap's?

sartrista7
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Sartrista,
You really think that Elena D's forehand is better than Lindsay's and JenCap's?

Yes. Lindsay's best stroke is her backhand (it's odd that so many of the top women have amazing backhands and less good forehands - Justine, Kim, Venus, Serena, Nastya, Amelie, Vera). And Dementieva can create winners off the forehand wing at will, whereas Capriati's forehand winners tend to come off running forehands, rather than those hit out of nowhere.

ali
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:17 PM
I think people use the word choke wrongly on here. Choking a match away is when you're in a clear position to win and then get so nervous your game goes OFF in a big way. Amelie did neither today - she was never really in a clear position to win and her game was hardly ON throughout.

I was really disappointed today though. For some reason she just doesn't believe in herself (this isn't choking) and plays really negative tennis. Elena totally deserved to win because she was going for her shots and trying to be aggressive, Amelie was just making sure she didn't make any mistakes and didn't attack half as much.

What worries me is that this was a quarter final against Dementieva. Not a semi, nor a final, but a quarter final! She should be consistently getting to the semis/finals with her ranking. But I don't know what she can do to change it.

Lachrymarum
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Not that I'm a big fan of Davenport, however I kind of hope she wins the USO just to keep Mauresmo out of the #1 position.

ali
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Yes. Lindsay's best stroke is her backhand (it's odd that so many of the top women have amazing backhands and less good forehands - Justine, Kim, Venus, Serena, Nastya, Amelie, Vera). And Dementieva can create winners off the forehand wing at will, whereas Capriati's forehand winners tend to come off running forehands, rather than those hit out of nowhere.
I have to agree with you. Dementieva's ground strokes are amazing to watch - off both sides and she seems (in the matches I've seen her play) to make a lot less unforced errors than some of the other people mentioned. Her power of recovery after her serve is also amazing....but that serve :tape: its not pretty to watch. If she took some time out and really worked on it she'd be challenging for GS titles at ease imo

Wojtek
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Good post. Dementieva's serve is junior serve and Mauresmo didn't attacked :rolleyes:

bandabou
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Come on Ali...Momo led in the second set....lost it. Let 4-3 in the third and blew it again...that is CHOKING!! And people are right...somebody needs to tell Momo that Conchitanism has become outdated.

Black Mamba.
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:42 PM
I don't even like Dementieva, but she earned this one today. If Momo can't capitalize on a person with a weak serve who is injured in the crucial stages of the third set I don't know about her chances in the future.

DEETHELICK
Sep 7th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Amelie definitely felt the heat, whilst Elena came out in the 2nd and 3rd sets with one intention, to attack and dominate. It was so overwhelming, that I'm sure that contributed to Amelie's nerves too.

Elena always upped her level or hit a big shot when she had to. Amelie just didn;t have the right answers today.

Congrats Elena, better luck next time Momo :)

ali
Sep 7th, 2004, 10:26 PM
Come on Ali...Momo led in the second set....lost it. Let 4-3 in the third and blew it again...that is CHOKING!! And people are right...somebody needs to tell Momo that Conchitanism has become outdated.
She led 2-0 in the second set...that's hardly close to winning. And there were so many breaks of serve, that being broken at 4-3 up wasn't really a surprise. I really don't think she choked, but if she did, and as early as 2-0 in the second set, she'll never win a slam I'm afraid. Like I said, this was a quarter final, still 2 matches away from the title. If she gets that nervous that early in a tournament, what hope does she have of winning one?

Maybe she plays better when she's the underdog (Wimbledon) but I don't know because she didn't win that either. I think it might be a blessing in disguise if she doesn't get to no.1 because then she would always be expected to win (as a world no.1 is!) and that would only add to the pressure.

lolo21
Sep 7th, 2004, 10:36 PM
i begin to think that amelie main problem is not her head but her game: she must understand that the conchita style is completely outdated (even in clay...) and nowadays to win a GS ,you must be agressive ,especially against weak second serve like it was the case with dementieva
i think that she simply needs to look how her friend justine plays :she is agressive but she sometimes made variations of effects ,what amelie likes to do but which she does too much