PDA

View Full Version : Seles is not ready to pack it in: New Article

selesadmirer
Sep 7th, 2004, 01:47 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/usatoday/20040907/sp_usatoday/naggingfootinjuryleavesselesfutureuncertain

Doublebackhand
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:50 PM
i really miss her.

thelittlestelf
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:40 PM
We miss you Monica :).

tennischick
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:43 PM
pack it in Seles. you've already missed the moment.

unless of course you have contractual obligations that are preventing you from doing so ;)

the cat
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Easy TC. Maybe Monica should retire. But we shouldn't forget how Monica's career was effectively ruined by Gunther Parche when swas only 19 years old and dominating womens tennis having won 8 grand slam sinlges titles as a teenager before she was stabbed in April of 1993. So if Seles wants to hang around and give it more more shot in late 2004 or in 2005 for whatever reasons she should and I hope she enjoys her comeback and I hope she can play respectable tennis when her foot injury finally heals. :)

Personanly I don't like seeing Monica go out like this. I would rather she reitre than go through these health struggles to try to play again. But it's Monica's call as to when she retires and I respect that.

tennischick
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Cat: my comment was on her PRESENT status. i made no reference to her past. please don't assume that i am dismissing her history bec i am not.

but the truth is that her moment has passed. and bec i have always considered her to be a smart woman, i can only assume that she is unable to retire as a result of contractual obligations.

unless you too believe that she can really come back and win tournies/ :confused:

GoDominique
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:09 PM

unless of course you have contractual obligations that are preventing you from doing so ;)
You mean Monica = Anna? :eek:

the cat
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Okay TC. I have always preferred Steffi to Monica but I feel badly how Monica's career turned out. And these never ending injuries the last few years have decimated her once potent game. :( I don't really think Monica can come back to the WTA Tour and win. But if she can get healhty and find some good form she could have some good times and that would be great! :D

Calimero377
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Easy TC. Maybe Monica should retire. But we shouldn't forget how Monica's career was effectively ruined by Gunther Parche when swas only 19 years old and dominating womens tennis having won 8 grand slam sinlges titles as a teenager before she was stabbed in April of 1993. So if Seles wants to hang around and give it more more shot in late 2004 or in 2005 for whatever reasons she should and I hope she enjoys her comeback and I hope she can play respectable tennis when her foot injury finally heals. ...

The U.S. Army should use Günther Parches combat techniques ...

A single 1-cm stab wound causes
- to be AWOL for 2 years,
- being overweight for 10 years,
- losing you professional abilities 5 years after the stabbing,
- foot injuries 10 year later.

:wavey:

USOPEN10000
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:50 PM

OH TENNIS CHICK ,YOU'RE PROBABLY PARCHE'S CHICK :tape: AND OBVIOUSLY A GRAF FANATIC. :lol: :lol: :lol:

YOU ARE A BIG "NOBODY" :tape: TO TELL THE GREAT MONICA SELES WHAT TO DO WITH HER CAREER. :lol: :lol: :lol:

MONICA SELES IS THE GREATEST EVER :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

USOPEN10000
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:54 PM

CALIMERO = GUNTHER PARCHE JR :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steffi Graf's Career in a Nutshell.......

Gunther Parche
and WEAK Competition once Seles was gone. :wavey:

OBTW I would not now how to answer this question either if I was S. G

Q:Steffi say 20 years from now when someone looks at the record books and sees that you have won 3/4 slam.If someone mentions that to you would you say thank you or would you say yeah but I did it without the best player being around?

Graf: I dont Know :tape: :tape: :tape:

The best COMBINATION in the history of women's singles HAS TO BE Gunther Parche and Steffi Graf. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Darop.
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:55 PM
I think Monica should play a fairwell tour ala Chang, depending only on Wild Cards, which almost all tournament directors will probably gladly grant her.

And if you guys think this will ruin the legend and figure of Monica Seles, just look at Chang, he wasn't humiliated when playing his farewell tour.

GoDominique
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:00 PM
And if you guys think this will ruin the legend and figure of Monica Seles, just look at Chang, he wasn't humiliated when playing his farewell tour.
Maybe not humiliated, but it wasn't really pretty either.

JonBcn
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Its amazing how ten years on the mere mention of Monica's name brings out the most obsessive/kneejerk/freaky posters, even in response to a fair comment like tennischick's...

I dont know who's worse: the insane Graf fans who seem to get some sort of glee out of winding up the unbearably oversensitive Seles contingent, or the scarily compulsive Seles fans who think that Graf is a byword for Antichrist. Either way, your ability to behave totally irrationally never fails to amuse me.

I know its probably the most exciting thing to have happened to you in the last decade, but try to remember - it didnt happen to you. They've both put it behind them, how about you try?

LADIEZ CHAMPION
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Its amazing how ten years on the mere mention of Monica's name brings out the most obsessive/kneejerk/freaky posters, even in response to a fair comment like tennischick's...

I dont know who's worse: the insane Graf fans who seem to get some sort of glee out of winding up the unbearably oversensitive Seles contingent, or the scarily compulsive Seles fans who think that Graf is a byword for Antichrist. Either way, your ability to behave totally irrationally never fails to amuse me.

I know its probably the most exciting thing to have happened to you in the last decade, but try to remember - it didnt happen to you. They've both put it behind them, how about you try?

JonBcn, great point. Let me share with you a most notable Top 10 list of the most obsessive/kneejerk/freaky/insane/psychotic fans in sports history posted in the internet a few days ago.....Guess whose number one? :angel:
__________________________________________________ ________________
The 10 most idiotic fans in sports history

Sunday, September 05, 2004

So the defrocked priest has struck again? First, he ambles out into the middle of Formula One auto race, and then he interrupts the Olympic marathon. What gives?

There is, of course, something indelibly vicarious about “fan-dom.” Who hasn’t conducted fake interviews with oneself while shaving regarding that dramatic, if imaginary, final touchdown drive? Anyhow, we want to be a part of the action. More to the point, we wish we were good enough to be a part of the action. You can observe this principle in action during the annual Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, Spain. But Bulls, like professional athletes in general, are best observed either on TV or from a safe distance and behind sturdy fencing. Even so, that childhood longing to feel the glare of the lights is mighty strong. ...
And sometimes these desires get the better of the maladjusted among us.

So we run onto the field of play and do something irredeemably dumb, sometimes felonious and occasionally, sinister. In return, we get infamy, a trip to the pokey, a hefty fine and maybe even a forearm shiv from an agitated NFL lineman. Is it worth it? Of course not. Heck, most networks won’t even give you airtime anymore. Still, we’re led to wonder: Where does the defrocked priest rank among the all-time Top 10 Most Idiotic Sports Fans? We’re here to break it down. And remember, defrocked priest and your ilk, we’re not here to honour you; we’re here to ridicule you.

10. Robin Ficker

It’s pathetic enough to be a Washington wizard's fan, but a wizard's fan with an attitude? Ficker, back in the days of U.S. Airways Arena (formerly the Capital Center) made a name for himself by relentlessly heckling opposing players from his seat behind their bench. So annoying was Ficker that the NBA started printing stern warnings about verbal abuse of players on the back of game tickets. But once the new MCI Center went up, Ficker lost his courtside seats.

9. Morganna

Remember her? Remember those? Morganna the Kissing Bandit was the buxom baseball groupie who made a cottage industry out of running onto the field to smooch ballplayers. She famously did so to George Brett during the ’79 All-Star game, but there were countless others, back when it was cute to run on to the field. She retired in 1999 or thereabouts, presumably due to back problems.

8. Spike Lee

Celeb fans are always an annoying lot, but Spike takes top honours. In ’94, he jawed with Reggie Miller, and Reggie responded by almost single-handedly felling Lee’s beloved Knicks. As if he hadn’t already eaten enough crow, Lee later wrote the forward to Miller’s biography. Bragging rights? Well, Reggie’s the better baller, and he never directed Summer of Sam.

7. Jeffrey Maier

This is why many people harbor an intense disdain for the Yankees. On October 9 , 1996, in the eighth inning of Game 1 of the American League Championship Series, Derek Jeter hit a shot to right field that Orioles outfielder, Tony Tarasco camped under for a sure out. But a 12-year-old kid named Jeffery Maier reached over into the field of play, snatched a sure out from Tarasco’s glove off and, thanks to an agreeably incompetent umpire, became a Gotham hero. Think Steve Bartman with better timing and “oh, he’s just a kid” cachet.

6. Fan Man

A.k.a. the most interesting thing to happen to the heavyweight division in 20 years. You’ll probably recall that Fan Man crashed the 1993 Riddick Bowe-Evander Holyfield title bout. He sailed into Caesar’s Palace powered by, you guessed it, a fan. The only thing dumber than his stunt was the decision of Bowe’s brainless entourage to beat him senseless while he was tangled in the ropes. Sadly, Fan Man took his own life in the Alaskan wilderness in 2002.

5. Steve Bartman

Yes, the guy who got all up in Moses Alou’s foul-ball business on October 14 in last year’s National League Championship Series. He’s not the ultimate interloper (since it was a foul ball), and the Cubs certainly get most of the blame for the Game 6 tank job against the Marlins. Still, if Bartman lets Alou do his thing, the Cubs might have been in the World Series. At least he gave Chicagoans a good idea for their Halloween costumes.

4. The Arizona State student body

On January 20, 1984, two days after his father was brutally murdered in Lebanon, Steve Kerr took the floor for the University of Arizona basketball team. They were playing archrival Arizona State, and Kerr, then a freshman, would go on to score 20 points in the first half alone. But what was most memorable, sadly and disgustingly, was that the ASU fans, during the game, began chanting “PLO” at Kerr in seeming honour of his father’s killers.

3. The defrocked priest

And now we come to the inspiration for this little jaunt through the annals of spectator ignominy. If you’re wearing a green beret, red kilt and knee-high socks, you’re probably crazy. If you wear those and attack the leader of the Olympic marathon, you’re certifiable. That’s Cornelius Horan, an Irish defrocked priest, who likes to dangerously insert himself into major sporting events. About a year ago, he ran into the middle of a 200-mph British Grand Prix. And this time around, he cost Brazilian marathoner, Vandanlei de Lima, a gold medal.

2. William Ligue and son

Ah, the timeless tradition! Fathers, sons and baseball. In the Ligue family, that tradition also entails getting soused, losing the shirts and attacking the opposing first-base coach. Ligue, along with his teenage son, attacked Royals first-base coach, Tom Gamboa on September 19, 2002 at Chicago’s Comiskey Park. With one out in the top of the ninth, the Ligues emerged from the stands behind first base, knocked Gamboa to the ground, and started battering the 54-year-old coach. Only William Ligue can make your garden-variety. Little League parent look like a bastion of equanimity.

1. Gunther Parche

Like the Ligues, Parche went beyond the lines of mere idiocy into dangerous lunacy. In 1993, 19-year-old Monica Seles was the best female tennis player in the world. But on April 30, she was stabbed during a match by Parche, who was a crazed Steffi Graf fan and wanted to see Graf recapture her spot atop the sport. Inexplicably, Germany declined to prosecute the man who tried to murder Seles. As a result, Seles to this day, refuses to play in Germany.

I wasnt surprised on who was ranked number one in this list especially on some of the fans that i encountered in this board...now i finally understand :angel:

tennischick
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:33 PM

I know its probably the most exciting thing to have happened to you in the last decade, but try to remember - it didnt happen to you. They've both put it behind them, how about you try?i agree but it didn't help that the Cat seized the opportunity to change the meaning of my post by bringing up all this other stuff :rolleyes: :wavey:

rfs1999
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Go Monica!

selesadmirer
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:36 PM
does surgery work on seles's foot?

AjdeNate!
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:58 AM
Go Monica!

selking
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:01 AM

wow.... you are such a fucking asshole.

SelesFan70
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:46 AM
:worship: Monica :worship: As long as she's happy, so am I! :angel:

LADIEZ CHAMPION
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:18 AM

This Calimero Graf lunatic fan is not just a f***ing as***** but a severely mentally deranged person.

After portraying one of history's greatest tennis champions Monica Seles in most unflattering terms, trying to make a very disturbing mockery of her stabbing, this guy is proceeding to foster the elevation of his beloved idol, who became the world champion by default, to religious sanctity. :angel:

LADIEZ CHAMPION
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:20 AM

This Calimero Graf lunatic fan is not just a f***ing as***** but a severely mentally deranged person.

After portraying one of history's greatest tennis champions Monica Seles in most unflattering terms, trying to make a very disturbing mockery of her stabbing, this guy is proceeding to foster the elevation of his beloved idol, who became the world champion by default, to religious sanctity.. :angel:

LDVTennis
Sep 8th, 2004, 05:01 AM
This Calimero Graf lunatic fan is not just a f***ing as***** but a severely mentally deranged person.. :angel:

Leave Calimero alone. He is hardly the beast you make him out to be.

If you could come out of your fanatic trance for just a minute, you might actually see that unlike most of you he argues with facts. His research is impeccable. His reasoning is always quite acute. Above all, what I appreciate about his posts is that he just doesn't try to pass off declarations as facts, but he carefully develops his declarations from the facts. Many of you could take a lesson.

So, instead of putting him down, I dare you to actually address him on his own terms. Or, is it just the case that there is no one among the Seles fans here who can match Calimero's skills in finding facts and crafting a rational argument out of them? Perhaps, that is why you have no other choice but to attack him personally.

LADIEZ CHAMPION
Sep 8th, 2004, 05:05 AM
Leave Calimero alone. He is hardly the beast you make him out to be.

If you could come out of your fanatic trance for just a minute, you might actually see that unlike most of you he argues with facts. His research is impeccable. His reasoning is always quite acute. Above all, what I appreciate about his posts is that he just doesn't try to pass off declarations as facts, but he carefully develops his declarations from the facts. Many of you could take a lesson.

So, instead of putting him down, I dare you to actually address him on his own terms. Or, is it just the case that there is no one among the Seles fans here who can match Calimero's skills in finding facts and crafting a rational argument out of them? Perhaps, that is why you have no other choice but to attack him personally.

Let me repeat, This Calimero Graf lunatic fan is not just a f***ing as***** but a severely mentally deranged person.

After portraying one of history's greatest tennis champions Monica Seles in most unflattering terms, trying to make a very disturbing mockery of her stabbing, this guy is proceeding to foster the elevation of his beloved idol, who became the world champion by default, to religious sanctity.. :angel:

Daniel
Sep 8th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Monica, :D

nari
Sep 8th, 2004, 08:58 AM

great post! :wavey:
someone would never face the fact seles herself was more responsible for her after poor tennis achievement than that 1-cm stabbing by Parche was.
seles was affected by the stabbing,but 1-cm stabbing can never account for so called "Monica's career ruined" .

LADIEZ CHAMPION
Sep 8th, 2004, 09:04 AM
great post! :wavey:
someone would never face the fact seles herself was more responsible for her after poor tennis achievement than that 1-cm stabbing by Parche was.
seles was affected by the stabbing,but 1-cm stabbing can never account for so called "Monica's career ruined" .

Accountability? how funny Nobody was held accountable -- not the beneficiary (your idol) and not the one who committed the crime (Parche) for the unjust enrichment of the beneficiary. As what the Great Jim Courier said the other day at the US Open: It makes him so sick to the stomach thinking about the Injustice done against Seles :angel:

The fact remains that Seles won 10 of the 12 biggest events in women's tennis in those 30 months leading up to the stabbing --- EVERY major event in women's tennis other than Wimbledon between the 1990 WTA Championships and the 1993 Australian Open.

The way Seles beat Steffi Graf to win the 1993 Australian Open for a 3rd consecutive singles title there certainly did not suggest that Seles was close to ending her dominance.

It took something beyond Steffi Graf to stop Seles .. it took a sharp knife in the hands of a Graf fan in Germany to stop Monica's dominance. :angel:

nari
Sep 8th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Accountability? how funny Nobody was held accountable -- not the beneficiary (your idol) and not the one who committed the crime (Parche) for the unjust enrichment of the beneficiary. :angel:
:lol: certainly,everyone know that stabbing is crime and unjust,but excessively utililizing the 1-cm stabbing is absurd too :lol:

LADIEZ CHAMPION
Sep 8th, 2004, 09:31 AM
:lol: certainly,everyone know that stabbing is crime and unjust,but excessively utililizing the 1-cm stabbing is absurd too :lol:

THE world of sport is a world that is rich in metaphors. A great tragedy is often a goal conceded a few seconds before the final whistle or a dropped catch in the 49th over of a one-day international.

A terrible disaster is often nothing more than a missed putt on the 18th green of the Augusta National or a 13-second pit stop in a Formula One race.

In truth, there is nothing tragic about such tragedies and the tragedy itself is a sort of a metaphor. There is nothing terrible, too, about such disasters.

It is in this world that, on the odd occasion, we come face to face with real tragedies, we struggle to deal with events that are at once terrible and shocking. Death, life threatening injuries, stabbing...

Ah, stabbing. Who can ever forget the back stab that practically brought an end to one of the greatest chapters in the history of women's tennis?

Who can forget April 30, 1993, the day Gunther Parche plunged a meat cleaving knife in Monica Seles's back as she sat during a changeover in the Hamburg WTA tournament?

As tragedies go, the world of sport has seen nothing quite like this before, or after. Not only did it change the course of the history of women's tennis but also it opened our eyes to the sort of dangers that nobody might have foreseen.

Yes, worse things have happened in the sporting arena. People have actually lost their lives while performing. Formula One racing has seen more death that any other sport.

In fact, exactly a year after the Seles stabbing, the greatest driver of all time, Aryton Senna, died following a crash on the Imola circuit in Italy.

Boxing too has had its share of tragedies and several so-called "extreme'' sports have cost practitioners their lives. But the big difference is, when you choose to become a Formula One driver or a boxer or an addict of some sort of extreme sport, you do so with the knowledge that you are getting into a dangerous business.

But you don't expect parents of girls stepping out to play a game of tennis to caution their wards with the words: "Hey, watch your back during changeovers!'' Maybe they do, after April 30, 1993.

That dark day changed the course of the history of the women's game. Seles, playing the most authoritative tennis any woman has ever played, had won eight Grand Slam titles while still in her teens, including the Australian and the French three times in a row and the U.S. title twice in two years.

No woman had dominated the great Steffi Graf as completely as did Seles whose only weak moments came at Wimbledon where Graf's experience and skills prevailed.

In the event, it appeared that Seles had the world at her feet and would go on to rewrite all the records in the women's game.

Then came the madman with the knife, seeking to put an end to Seles's dominance and allow his idol Graf a second innings as a world beater. And he accomplished just what he wanted and got away with a two year "suspended'' sentence on the grounds of mental imbalance!

The physical wound healed in time. But, for Seles, life had changed once and for all. The mental scars left by that incident never really healed. In an exclusive interview to Seles says she does not want to revisit Hamburg. Seles never played in Germany again.

Eleven years is a long time and time heals many a wound. But the few years immediately after the stabbing were years of agony for Seles.

There was a time when she considered quitting but finally decided to resume her career.

She came back strongly too, making the U.S. Open final in 1995 and winning her fourth Australian Open in January 1996. But that turned out to be a false dawn. For the great lady never again scaled the heights in her career.

How many Grand Slam titles would Seles have won if Parche had not intervened in her life and career?

She was only 19 when the stabbing happened and even if she had managed to remain at the helm for five or six years after that, until age 25, she might have won at least 20 Grand Slam titles, perhaps a lot more.

On the other hand, there is no doubt at all that Steffi Graf would not have won anywhere near the 22 that she did if the Seles tragedy had not taken place.
Eleven years on, the great lady is still around and still in love with her sport, competing hard and offering us great moments of watching pleasure. And this is as good a moment as any to salute the Seles spirit.

Monica Seles the greatest female tennis champion the world of sports had ever seen. :angel:

disposablehero
Sep 9th, 2004, 01:03 AM

Not mentally deranged, just a fucking asshole. More than willing to portray the victim as the villain if it strengthens his debating position. Sorely in need of an unexpected bite of cold steel to improve his perspective.

azza
Sep 9th, 2004, 01:14 AM
Blah Retire.

disposablehero
Sep 9th, 2004, 01:29 AM
Blah Retire.
Easy to say if you've never seen her before the second half of the 90's. If all you remember is a player who wasn't the absolute best in the world, and a story whose shock value has subsided over the many years.

If you saw her in 1990 it's not so easy to say "Blah Retire".

LDVTennis
Sep 9th, 2004, 02:31 AM
THE world of sport is a world that is rich in metaphors. A great tragedy is often a goal conceded a few seconds before the final whistle or a dropped catch in the 49th over of a one-day international.

A terrible disaster is often nothing more than a missed putt on the 18th green of the Augusta National or a 13-second pit stop in a Formula One race.

In truth, there is nothing tragic about such tragedies and the tragedy itself is a sort of a metaphor. There is nothing terrible, too, about such disasters.

It is in this world that, on the odd occasion, we come face to face with real tragedies, we struggle to deal with events that are at once terrible and shocking. Death, life threatening injuries, stabbing...

Ah, stabbing. Who can ever forget the back stab that practically brought an end to one of the greatest chapters in the history of women's tennis?

Who can forget April 30, 1993, the day Gunther Parche plunged a meat cleaving knife in Monica Seles's back as she sat during a changeover in the Hamburg WTA tournament?

As tragedies go, the world of sport has seen nothing quite like this before, or after. Not only did it change the course of the history of women's tennis but also it opened our eyes to the sort of dangers that nobody might have foreseen.

Yes, worse things have happened in the sporting arena. People have actually lost their lives while performing. Formula One racing has seen more death that any other sport.

In fact, exactly a year after the Seles stabbing, the greatest driver of all time, Aryton Senna, died following a crash on the Imola circuit in Italy.

Boxing too has had its share of tragedies and several so-called "extreme'' sports have cost practitioners their lives. But the big difference is, when you choose to become a Formula One driver or a boxer or an addict of some sort of extreme sport, you do so with the knowledge that you are getting into a dangerous business.

But you don't expect parents of girls stepping out to play a game of tennis to caution their wards with the words: "Hey, watch your back during changeovers!'' Maybe they do, after April 30, 1993.

That dark day changed the course of the history of the women's game. Seles, playing the most authoritative tennis any woman has ever played, had won eight Grand Slam titles while still in her teens, including the Australian and the French three times in a row and the U.S. title twice in two years.

No woman had dominated the great Steffi Graf as completely as did Seles whose only weak moments came at Wimbledon where Graf's experience and skills prevailed.

In the event, it appeared that Seles had the world at her feet and would go on to rewrite all the records in the women's game.

Then came the madman with the knife, seeking to put an end to Seles's dominance and allow his idol Graf a second innings as a world beater. And he accomplished just what he wanted and got away with a two year "suspended'' sentence on the grounds of mental imbalance!

The physical wound healed in time. But, for Seles, life had changed once and for all. The mental scars left by that incident never really healed. In an exclusive interview to Seles says she does not want to revisit Hamburg. Seles never played in Germany again.

Eleven years is a long time and time heals many a wound. But the few years immediately after the stabbing were years of agony for Seles.

There was a time when she considered quitting but finally decided to resume her career.

She came back strongly too, making the U.S. Open final in 1995 and winning her fourth Australian Open in January 1996. But that turned out to be a false dawn. For the great lady never again scaled the heights in her career.

How many Grand Slam titles would Seles have won if Parche had not intervened in her life and career?

She was only 19 when the stabbing happened and even if she had managed to remain at the helm for five or six years after that, until age 25, she might have won at least 20 Grand Slam titles, perhaps a lot more.

On the other hand, there is no doubt at all that Steffi Graf would not have won anywhere near the 22 that she did if the Seles tragedy had not taken place.
Eleven years on, the great lady is still around and still in love with her sport, competing hard and offering us great moments of watching pleasure. And this is as good a moment as any to salute the Seles spirit.

Monica Seles the greatest female tennis champion the world of sports had ever seen. :angel:

Ladiez Champion, it is time to call a spade a spade. You are an idiot. No doubt about it.

It serves no purpose arguing with you because you have no native or acquired sense of reason. In this and many of your other posts, you constantly break the most simple laws of reason. I pity the person in this world who by profession or obligation must correct or compensate for the errors you must constantly make in your personal and professional affairs.

As I said in another post, if your words are any indication of your level of understanding in the real world, then there is no doubt in my mind that you are destined, if you are not there already, to a life of mediocrity. The best you could hope for is that you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth because only someone else's money, and lots of it, can save you from the muds of mediocrity in which your mind wallows.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Sep 9th, 2004, 04:00 AM
I really and truly believe that at this stage of the game, Monica's foot has healed, or at least healed enough to the point where she could come back. She's frustrated with her tennis more than anything else. If she's basically waiting until she reaches her top 10 form to come back, she might as well call it a day now.

Even if she comes back, she won't be where she was. While it is possible to match or even have your best results past age 28 or so, look at the players who have done that. It's been players like Nicole Pratt, Jill Craybas, and Shinobu Asagoe. If you're a scrappy retriever who's game is based on consistency, variety of spins and angles and changing up pace, it may take time for that to come into full bloom, hence the impressive results late in a career. Monica is not a scrappy retriever by any stretch. Her game is not based on consistency or changing up the pace. Her game is baseline power, plain and simple. It's natural to lose some of that after age 30, as well as being a couple steps slower. Quite honestly, Monica can't afford to lose an extra step in her movement, as she was always fair slow for the most part in her comeback, although there were periods of decent fitness.

Another issue is that Monica won't be satisfied with anything but top 10. She never had to fight up the rankings. She flew up them. She got there in 1990 and stayed there ever since. Despite being injured for long stretches in a year, being absent for a couple months every year (she NEVER played 17 tournaments a year since her stabbing. Not ONCE. Not by choice, but her body wouldn't let her), she still managed to reside in the top 10. She won't come back to linger around #50 (or worse) and lose to players she was killing beforehand. Michael Chang might have been able to do that, but Monica won't accept that.

That being said, I hope she plays a Grand Slam or some kind of tournament and ends that way. Just one. If her body won't let her play full time, at least retire that way. She deserves better than hobbling off the court like she did at RG.

faboozadoo15
Sep 9th, 2004, 04:08 AM
well if she can be playing like she did at the beginning of 2003... that's top 10 form, imo. let's not forget that a monica already with some foot issues in 2003 after the aus open reached the final of a tier 1 taking a set from lindsay and reached the dubai final and had match point against henin... she really played her best tennis before she twisted her ankle in the aus, which was in hong kong.

i have no idea whether she'll ever be back, but if she can be playing that well, it would certainly be enough. we'll just have to wait. there are about 0 signs of encouragement, but i can still hope. i would just like to see her play again and for her to decide what she wants to do and not her foot. i really hope she was just rusty and wants to get a little better.

LADIEZ CHAMPION
Sep 9th, 2004, 07:03 AM
Ladiez Champion, it is time to call a spade a spade. You are an idiot. No doubt about it.

It serves no purpose arguing with you because you have no native or acquired sense of reason. In this and many of your other posts, you constantly break the most simple laws of reason. I pity the person in this world who by profession or obligation must correct or compensate for the errors you must constantly make in your personal and professional affairs.

As I said in another post, if your words are any indication of your level of understanding in the real world, then there is no doubt in my mind that you are destined, if you are not there already, to a life of mediocrity. The best you could hope for is that you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth because only someone else's money, and lots of it, can save you from the muds of mediocrity in which your mind wallows.

LDV Tennis,

Is that the best you can do? trying to pick a fight against a woman in this board? I guess you're nothing but a pure worthless sick coward.

For the last time, please refrain from EVER addressing me in any way in this board from this point on. In case your sick mind forgot, this message board is NOT the exclusive shrine of your beloved idol.

Monica Seles was always the best!

R&J
Sep 9th, 2004, 07:03 AM
:worship: Monica :worship: As long as she's happy, so am I! :angel:
Great post, it would be wonderful to have her back - but if its time to go then thats her decision. I totally respect whatever she decides. But if I have to wait another for her to return, then I will still be waiting. :yeah:

Love you Monica :wavey: