PDA

View Full Version : Williams message: absence with malice


QueenO
Mar 12th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Williams message: absence with malice
Published March 10, 2002


This is the face of vindictiveness: Venus and Serena Williams at home in Palm Beach Gardens this week, boycotting the $2 million Indian Wells tournament because of the alleged racial incident that took place at the tournament a year ago.

Ask father Richard Williams about it, and he holds nothing back. He was the one who claimed someone called out to him from the audience with a racial slur as he and Venus walked down the steps to their seats before Serena's match.

Not one person in the vast audience that day came forward to corroborate Williams' story, and former tour CEO Bart McGuire's subsequent investigation turned up no evidence that the incident took place.

Despite all the publicity, no one came forward to support Williams' claim, and no one wrote a letter to a newspaper saying they, too, were appalled by some racial remark.

Nevertheless, the Williams family is determined to make the tournament pay, though Venus seems reluctant to discuss the issue.

``Well, all in all, it was just basically an incredible scene last year in Indian Wells,'' she said. ``But that's part of sports, playing with the good and bad.''

She added, wistfully: ``I've always liked that tournament, and basically I had my first big break there in the desert. So some of my best memories are there. Actually, the first time I got in the quarterfinals, I was like 200 in the world. I have a lot of great memories there.''

Neither she nor Serena, who is the defending champion, have issued any direct explanation of why they're not playing.

They don't have to, though. Everyone knows and this doesn't help their reputations.

Behind the split

Tom Gullikson was sniffling on the telephone from his home just north of Daytona Beach, but it was a late winter cold. He wasn't crying over his astonishing dismissal as Pete Sampras' coach, just two months after the two linked up.

``We're too good friends. That was what he said,'' Gullikson explained. ``From my point of view, two months isn't enough time to test a relationship.''

Gullikson's twin brother, Tim, had coached Sampras for years before being diagnosed with a brain tumor in 1995 and dying a year later. Sampras and the Gulliksons were extremely close.

But at age 30 and with the quality of his game declining (he didn't win a title in 2001), Sampras has decided to give it one final push and says he's looking for a coach who will push him hard. He has hired Jose Higueras, the USTA coach who was a strong influence on Jim Courier's drive to reach No. 1 in the mid-1990s.

There has been speculation that Sampras wanted a clay-court expert as a coach so that he could better prepare for the French Open -- the only major he hasn't won. Higueras certainly is a clay expert. But this sudden change of coaches has nothing to do with surface.

It's only March, but already it has been a strange year for Sampras, who has railed against his agent and against Nike for not re-upping his deal with more money. He has slipped from the top, and it's eating at him.

It has revealed a Sampras ego that few people thought existed, and it hasn't done good things for his reputation.

Second serves

Meanwhile, Sampras' loss last week in Scottsdale was the fifth time he has failed to get past the second round there, to the chagrin of the tournament director, who happens to be his brother, Gus Sampras. ...

Patrick Rafter is officially in retirement in Australia and awaiting the birth of his first child, but there is a growing feeling that by May he'll be back in training with an eye to winning one tournament: Wimbledon. His former coach, Tony Roche, says, for public consumption, that he has no idea what Rafter's plans are. But Roche has turned down at least a half-dozen offers from other players -- as if he's keeping himself available for Rafter. ...

How many times have you caught yourself saying ``Ericsson'' when talking about the annual Key Biscayne tournament, which begins March 20? The name changes, from Lipton to Ericsson to Nasdaq 100, don't help the tournament's stature, and I think you're going to find increasing numbers of people who refer to the event simply as ``Key Biscayne.'' ...

The report that Mark Philippoussis' surgically repaired left knee wasn't quite ready for the International Tennis Championships (he pulled out) is only partly correct. In fact, he turned his Delray Beach wild card back in because of a new injury.

He was in Los Angeles training with Sampras and sustained a slight tear to the quad muscle in his left knee doing sprints.

It's not a major setback. He won't play Indian Wells this week but will be ready for Key Biscayne. But don't expect him to be on top of his game there.

Charles Bricker's tennis column appears Sundays. He can be reached at cbricker@sun-sentinel.com
Copyright © 2002, South Florida Sun

www.sun-sentinel.com/spor...%2Darchive


Next Topic >>



Email This To a Friend
Topic Commands (Moderator only)

GogoGirl
Mar 12th, 2002, 10:16 PM
"GOOD ON U 2 FOR STICKING TO YOUR GUNS - VENUS & SERENA" "LIFE IS TOO SHORT AND DOES GO ON" "CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOUR PRECIOUS PRESENCE AT THE NASDAQ 100" "DON'T CONCERN YOURSELVES W/THE NEGATIVE PRESS AND THE WILLIAMS SISTERS BASHING" "KEEP YOUR HEADS TO THE SKY - AND KEEP ON KEEPING ON - CAUSE YOU ARE BADD GIRLS FOR LIFE"


Posted on Tue, Mar. 12, 2002

Williams Sisters Skip Indian Wells

DELRAY BEACH, Fla. - Venus and Serena Williams have no regrets about skipping this week's Pacific Life Open at Indian Wells, Calif., saying the verbal abuse they took from last year's crowd would have made it impossible for them to enjoy playing there.

The family was booed during last year's tournament after Venus made a late withdrawal with an injury from a semifinal match against Serena, who beat Kim Clijsters in the finals.

"When we play tennis we like to have fun," Serena said Tuesday.

"We go places we enjoy playing. We're entertainers and we entertain the crowd. If we can't entertain then our job is over, and I don't think we were doing a great job entertaining them last year."

Venus, who just spent more than two months out of the country to attain the world No. 1 ranking, is finding it relaxing to be at home.

"Mentally, I was ready to be away so long," Venus said. "But, after a while, physically I was kind of broken. I was starting to be injured because I was playing too much. After a while you start pulling muscles, they're nothing serious but they keep you from playing well."

The sisters said they would be interested in playing in this year's Federation Cup. Serena has already spoken with U.S. captain Billie Jean King about the April 27-28 competition.

"We like the format now that it's back to the old (knockout draw) format," Serena said. "I talked to Billie Jean about who we're going to play, the Austrians, and that it's going to be on clay. It depends on my scheduling."

Infiniti2001
Mar 13th, 2002, 04:06 AM
This writer is so full of himself I can't stand it arrghh :fiery:

RAA
Mar 13th, 2002, 07:57 PM
What happened last year was a total disgrace. I'm so glad that Venus and Serena did not play. Who cares about the ranking points - they can get them somewhere else.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years with this tourney. With capriati and both williams sisters not wanting to play this tournament, it seriously hurts it. Even Seles complained about the timing of it. I haven't heard anything about attendance yet - I wonder if numbers are down for the women's matches...
Ruth in philly pa usa

Jovon
Mar 14th, 2002, 01:20 AM
The first article was so rude!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: