PDA

View Full Version : MoMo, JCap, Serena, and Lindz- most consistent in the slams this year.

Stefwhit
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:15 AM
Only four women have made it to at least the QFs of three or more slams this year, JCap, Lindz, Serena, and MoMo- who happens to be the only woman to have made the QFs of all four slams this year. What's interesting about these women is that they've shown the most consistency at the slams this year yet none of em' have won a slam this year and Serena is the only one of the bunch to have at least make the finals.

Another interesting note is that all of the slam winners this year (Christine, Sharapova, and Myskina) have lost in the early rounds often this year.

For as bad of a year as JCap and Serena are suposedly (sp?) having they've been among the most consistent when it counts most...

Gogo123
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:18 AM
I just hope that Serena finishes off this consistency in the Grand Slams with a win.

le bon vivant
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:20 AM
I just hope that Serena finishes off this consistency in the Grand Slams with a win.
I'll drink to that.http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/bigclap.gif

Ekkekko
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:32 AM
Only four women have made it to at least the QFs of three or more slams this year, JCap, Lindz, Serena, and MoMo- who happens to be the only woman to have made the QFs of all four slams this year. What's interesting about these women is that they've shown the most consistency at the slams this year yet none of em' have won a slam this year and Serena is the only one of the bunch to have at least make the finals.

Another interesting note is that all of the slam winners this year (Christine, Sharapova, and Myskina) have lost in the early rounds often this year.

For as bad of a year as JCap and Serena are suposedly (sp?) having they've been among the most consistent when it counts most...
Who's Christine?:confused: :o

bw2082
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:36 AM
Who's Christine?:confused: :o

The Boss of course :o

Ekkekko
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:42 AM
The Boss of course :o
Nice name she's got there...:p

kosmikgroove
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:49 AM

serena skipped the Australian Open!

Stefwhit
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:53 AM
It's hard to imagine that one of the four most consistent wont break through and win this year. As luck would have it JCap, Serena, and MoMo are all in the same half of the draw. If this years pattern continues then that means one of these four (MoMo, JCap, Serena, and Lindz) might make it to the final but none of em' will win- I simply can't imagine that happening, but who'd of guessed Sharapova or Myskina?!?...

HectorMagnus
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:54 AM

Cappy too ;)

Stefwhit
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:54 AM
What's your point :confused: She's still one of only four players to have made the QFs of at least three slams this year. Unless of course you're bringing that up to show how truly remarkably consistent they've been in the slams. I didn't think about it till just now but like Momo, they've reached the QFs at every major they've entered this year.... :)

bandabou
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Impressive for Serena..now only the last step: winning.

Daniel
Sep 7th, 2004, 10:08 AM
.... and none of them have won a Grand Slam in 2004. Sometimes consistency is not good enough

Lady
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:39 AM

But just curious, what's better to win 1 slam, and lose early in the others, or reach all the QF or SF, but didn't win 1. ;)

BTW, I could never understand why people say Serena had a bad year?? I think she was doing well so far. Just by old Serena standarts she was doing badly. ;)

SJW
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:58 AM
by Serena's standards, she's doing badly, yes :p

sartrista7
Sep 7th, 2004, 12:01 PM

Well, not when it actually counts most ;)

Serena's not having a bad year, except by her previous standards. Capriati has been pretty lucky in her Slam draws, but she ceased being a Slam contender years ago, which people are being rather slow to pick up on.

HectorMagnus
Sep 7th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Well, not when it actually counts most ;)

Serena's not having a bad year, except by her previous standards. Capriati has been pretty lucky in her Slam draws, but she ceased being a Slam contender years ago, which people are being rather slow to pick up on.

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

yeah, she's extremely lucky with her draws, for example meeting only 4 seeds in RG, 3 in W....Cappy is such a lucky girl :lick:, 3 draws = 3 times meeting Serena, what a luck :drink:

lolas
Sep 7th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Actually Kim is the most consistent one ;)

cynicole
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:58 PM
But just curious, what's better to win 1 slam, and lose early in the others, or reach all the QF or SF, but didn't win 1. ;)

BTW, I could never understand why people say Serena had a bad year?? I think she was doing well so far. Just by old Serena standarts she was doing badly. ;)
;) Being consistent in slams is a good thing for the likes of Mauresmo but for a Capriati and especially Serena it's a different story because they've held slam trophies aloft before. Real champions are held to different standards.

Stefwhit
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:51 PM
;) Being consistent in slams is a good thing for the likes of Mauresmo but for a Capriati and especially Serena it's a different story because they've held slam trophies aloft before. Real champions are held to different standards.
I totally agree, "Real Champions" win slams. They also have a consistent showing at most of the slams in any given year as well. You have your occasional early exit, but none of the Slam winners this year have performed at a level expected of "Real Champions" at the slams. If Davenport, JCap, or Serena win the US Open they would be only slam winner this year to show consistency at the rest of the majors- which obviously counts for something...see MoMo (the win-less wonder) who is closing in on number one.

Hey, don't misunderstand me, I think one slam is better than four finals. I was simply making an observation about the slam winners and an observation about the consistent perfromers in the slams- coincidently they are two different groups of players.

ZAK
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:55 PM

Justine has not lost in early rounds often this year

ali
Sep 7th, 2004, 10:46 PM
I totally agree, "Real Champions" win slams. They also have a consistent showing at most of the slams in any given year as well. You have your occasional early exit, but none of the Slam winners this year have performed at a level expected of "Real Champions" at the slams. If Davenport, JCap, or Serena win the US Open they would be only slam winner this year to show consistency at the rest of the majors- which obviously counts for something...see MoMo (the win-less wonder) who is closing in on number one.

Hey, don't misunderstand me, I think one slam is better than four finals. I was simply making an observation about the slam winners and an observation about the consistent perfromers in the slams- coincidently they are two different groups of players.Long gone are the days that Steffi, Monica and Martina practically always made it to the semis (at least) of Grand Slams. The last couple of years have been really bizarre. I imagine had Steffi made it to the quarters 3 times and won one she would have seen this as a disappointing year (1990-1992). I guess the draws are much deeper now than they were back then, but as you say, "real champions" rate their performance/success on how they perform at the big tournaments.

For the winners of the Slams to be inconsistent and the consistent players not being winners, its hard to determine who has had a good/poor/indifferent year.

Edit : Steffi's "bad" years (1990-92) also included several finals and semis

AkademiQ
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:22 PM
by Serena's standards, she's doing badly, yes :p

Of course. Just one final appearance and no other appearances or grand slams. That is not a typical Serena year. It could be fine by some other players standards but when you have achieved what Serena has nothing but success is expected.

Barrie_Dude
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:50 PM
I just hope that Serena finishes off this consistency in the Grand Slams with a win.Nope! We want Cappy to win in NYC!