PDA

View Full Version : Can Nadia or Svetlana Beat Lindsay?

lizchris
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:57 AM
One of them is going to be a semifinalist and I wonder if either one of them can pose a challenge to Lindsay. Convential widsom says Nadia can because of her big win over Justine tonight but she has been too inconsistent in my bood to even consider her. And I can't see Svetlana trying to return one of Lindsay's deep serves.

selking
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:59 AM
Nope

ZAK
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:01 AM
I think Sveta would have to best chance. She can rally more consistently than Nadia, and she can move Davenport. Plus she has been serving better than Petrova

rue
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:04 AM
I really don't think so, cos Lindsay is really hot right now and it is going to take someone playing the best tennis of their life to beat her this time around. She is the heavy favorite going into the final.

thelittlestelf
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:04 AM
No.

FaceyFacem
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:06 AM
of course they have chances, but i totally expect lindsay to make it, however, she has come up short in the last few major matches when she had chances, anyway, i say lindsay MUST be favorite

Dave B
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:08 AM
One of them is going to be a semifinalist and I wonder if either one of them can pose a challenge to Lindsay. Convential widsom says Nadia can because of her big win over Justine tonight but she has been too inconsistent in my bood to even consider her. And I can't see Svetlana trying to return one of Lindsay's deep serves.

Can? Yes. Will? I dunno. I saw Kuznetsova play today, and her serve was really on. She is not the best returner, however. So I think if she is at her top it will come down to at least one tiebreak, which gives her a shot. Petrova played a different Davey last year. I think that she really could've one that match if she played smarter. However this is a better Davey, and Petrova might be out of Ashe quickly if she is not at her top.

fammmmedspin
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:10 AM
Lindsay's head went into choke mode today as she served it out - she pulled it back helped by Venus errors. Sveta at her best this USO is serving well. Her UE count is low and she is is faster than most. Depends if she can get the returns back, keep cool and serve well and if Lindsay's head blows as it did at wimbledon in a similar situation.

Come to think of it Nadia and Mary are pretty good practice for playing lindsay wheras Lindsay will be playing asagoe"

SilK
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:10 AM
Uhm, can Lindsay beat Asagoe...

that's called, one step at a time...

thelittlestelf
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:15 AM

Lol well, Asagoe's first serves barely hit 90 mph. Lindsay will rape them sideways.

PatM04
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:21 AM

that's called, one step at a time...Exactly....no one should be underestimated.

lizchris
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:23 AM

I saw Asagoe play Eleni today; she'll be lucky to get two games off of Lindsay and I am talking about the entire match.

Leo_DFP
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:24 AM
True, Asagoe first.

But Sveta is a mini-Clijsters and remember who Lindsay lost to last year. And Petrova has weapons of her own which have helped her to challenge Davenport on a few occassions in the past, although not beat her yet. I think if Davenport does face one of them in the semis, it could definitely be close but experience and confidence are in Lindsay's favor, plus greater consistency.

LindsayRocks89
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:31 AM
as long as Lindsay doesn't have a let down, then no i don't think so, but first she has to get through asagoe

bw2082
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:32 AM
Lol well, Asagoe's first serves barely hit 90 mph. Lindsay will rape them sideways.

:haha:

Jakeev
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Frankly, I think Lindsay's biggest challenge will be Serena Williams, and not who she has to face next.

I don't think Asagoe has a prayer and as for Nadia and Svetlana, they are both outstanding players, but they have literally a behemoth in Lindsay at this point to try to beat.

And considering that it could be a overwhelming occasion for both of them, I just don't see any of those two stopping Linds from the final.

I smell another Linds/Serena final.

DEETHELICK
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Its going to be difficult, but yes, why not. Lindsay is playing smoking tennis, so Nadia and Sveta will have to be at their best.

I think Nadia may surprise us and jump into the SFs.

Crazy_Fool
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Yeah, but not if Lindsay keeps up her same level :D

I really hope she makes the final at least

gossipcom
Sep 7th, 2004, 10:04 AM
If she can get past Asagoe and say she has to play Petrova.

She can try to recreate the last encounter in LA when she beat her 6/1 6/1 and not like her 3 set win over her at Amelia Island :)

She's never played Kuznetsova so it would be an interesting match.

Daniel
Sep 7th, 2004, 10:26 AM
yes they can and they will

GoDominique
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:34 AM
With Lindsay you never know. See Wimbledon.

Lemonskin.
Sep 7th, 2004, 12:26 PM
No, I don't think so.

Lindsay has a free ticket to the final :D

sartrista7
Sep 7th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Nadia can, but won't.
Sveta can, and it's very possible that she will.

Doraemon
Sep 7th, 2004, 01:12 PM
It's ok to assume Lindsay will beat Shinobu but the starter of the thread is acting as if Lindsay were already in the SF. I have known that he has no respect for any player not named Williams at all for a while now.
Anything can happen at the GSs. Shino will probably lose but there's some chance no matter how slim it is.

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 7th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Asagoe is gonna pull of the "mother of all victories" ;)

lizchris
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:01 PM
It's ok to assume Lindsay will beat Shinobu but the starter of the thread is acting as if Lindsay were already in the SF. I have known that he has no respect for any player not named Williams at all for a while now.
Anything can happen at the GSs. Shino will probably lose but there's some chance no matter how slim it is.

First, I am a she. Second, if you watched TV, the commentators had Lindsay in semifinal longer than I did and third, you don't know who the hell I am, so don't put words into my mouth.

lizchris
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Asagoe is gonna pull of the "mother of all victories" ;)
Where?

In your dreams?

Lindsayfan
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:08 PM
With Lindsay you never know. See Wimbledon.

she is no longer the same player. u didnt notice?

bandabou
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Nope....Lindsay the victim, Lindsay the one who didnīt receive any protecting....nope, Nadia nor Svet will beat her.

Princess Fiona
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:34 PM
I think Lindsay has to be a big favourite after this amazing form of hers... :) But again, you never know... :shrug:

(Nadia and Svetlana will be reading this thread and getting fired up... ;) Shinobu too!! What's this about "free tickets", they will be fuming... ;) )

tennisiscool
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Didn't Lindsay beat Nadi on clay right after she had beaten Serena 6-1 6-2 or something ? I can see Sveta giving her some trouble but beat her ? I doubt

But you know , never say never. Who would have thought Nadia could beat Justine yesterday ?:)

raquel
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Frankly, I think Lindsay's biggest challenge will be Serena Williams, and not who she has to face next.

I smell another Linds/Serena final.

A lot of people will disagree with me on this and I am not even sure on what logic I am working on here, but I think the biggest challenge to Davenport could be Amelie. I think Amelie has the best chance against Lindsay but I doubt in reality she will get the chance to play Lindsay.

The reason I think Amelie is Jennifer, Sveta, Nadia and Serena all play hard hitting tennis from the baseline and Lindsay just loves that style coming at her. Anything not within a foot of the baseline and within her reach, Lindsay just gets hits cleanly back using the pace of the ball and gets a big strike in. Look what Lindsay did to Serena in LA. I think Serena is playing better here than in LA, but I still think Lindsay would be the favourite right now. But if Amelie somehow got to the final she would not give Lindsay that stream of low hard balls that Lindsay likes. Amelie would have a topspin backhand bouncing up round Lindsay's shoulders and then the next shot would be a slice down at Lindsay's feet and just be breaking up her whole rythym.

alfonsojose
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Intereting point :cool: but then why Amelie has such a bad record against Davenport?

bandabou
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:37 PM
A lot of people will disagree with me on this and I am not even sure on what logic I am working on here, but I think the biggest challenge to Davenport could be Amelie. I think Amelie has the best chance against Lindsay but I doubt in reality she will get the chance to play Lindsay.

The reason I think Amelie is Jennifer, Sveta, Nadia and Serena all play hard hitting tennis from the baseline and Lindsay just loves that style coming at her. Anything not within a foot of the baseline and within her reach, Lindsay just gets hits cleanly back using the pace of the ball and gets a big strike in. Look what Lindsay did to Serena in LA. I think Serena is playing better here than in LA, but I still think Lindsay would be the favourite right now. But if Amelie somehow got to the final she would not give Lindsay that stream of low hard balls that Lindsay likes. Amelie would have a topspin backhand bouncing up round Lindsay's shoulders and then the next shot would be a slice down at Lindsay's feet and just be breaking up her whole rythym.

Nice lil theory..but did you take a look at the h2h between the two?! Heck, Momo couldnīt even beat Lindsay on CLAY, you want her to beat Lindsay on HARDCOURTS?! Tjaaa...if you believe in miracles..

Jakeev
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Nope....Lindsay the victim, Lindsay the one who didnīt receive any protecting....nope, Nadia nor Svet will beat her.
You know I like you as a poster but being a little bitch is not very becoming of you........

vogus
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:20 PM
i think it's a better than 50 percent chance that Davey will lose to whichever Russian she plays. Both Kuzzie and Nadya are playing better tennis right now than Venus. But i think it ultimately comes down to how bad Lindsay really wants it. If she is willing to run for that extra ball, which she so often hasn't wanted to do the last couple of years, then she is a lot more dangerous.

Pengwin
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Maybe we'll have 3 Russian GS winners in a row...

shap_half
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:31 PM
I think Nadia can do it. She's been trouble for Lindsay and it's high time she beat her. If she can reach the SF, she'll be riding high and full of confidence. Nadia will need to play attacking tennis like she did against Justine. She's going to need to have her serve really stand up against Lindsay and consistently attack the net.

Sveta can do it as well. She's got a big game with a huge serve and strong forehand.

I think a Russian will win this title. I'm going to say Petrova.

Pengwin
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Nadia almost lost to Farina Elia (she had a match point against her)

!<blocparty>!
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:37 PM
LOL, they wont have a hope in hell :tape: I'm sorry, I think lindsay will defo make the final here. *touch wood*

Serena Williams is going to be her biggest problem, providing she dismisses the Capster this evening.

QUEENLINDSAY
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:38 PM
I only see Serena as a threat to stop Lindsay. All the others are just 2 straight set wins for Davey!!!!!

bandabou
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:53 PM
You know I like you as a poster but being a little bitch is not very becoming of you........

Sorry....but you must admit that Lindsay kinda took shots at the sisters for the protective seeding, sooo..

raquel
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:00 PM

By the way, I forgot to add 'and only if Amelie has a brain transplant with someone who can handle pressure' when I said she could challenge Lindsay.

bandabou
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:10 PM
By the way, I forgot to add 'and only if Amelie has a brain transplant with someone who can handle pressure' when I said she could challenge Lindsay.

:lol: :haha:

foreva lindsay
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:11 PM
No Chance!! LINDSAY :bowdown:

Jakeev
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Sorry....but you must admit that Lindsay kinda took shots at the sisters for the protective seeding, sooo..
I think any other player, including the sisters themselves, would have a problem being seeded five when they are ranked four and should have technically been seeded that.

And I frankly don't think Lindsay took a "shot" at the sisters as you call it. She was more upset about the protected-ranking process and had every right to comment on it.

flyingmachine
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Well Lindsay is in the form of her life so it will be a difficult job to beat her. Having say that I think Svetlana has more chance beating her than Nadia. Nadia has a great serve and great volley a bit like Lindsay's game but she doesn't have anything which can truely hurt Lindsay. Svetlena on the other hand has a great weapon her forehand which is almost like a cardon copy of Graf's migthy forehand. Also Svetlana has a lot better movement than Nadia which can hurt Lindsay. However Svetlana have in her best in order to beat Lindsay otherwise it will be Lindsay + (someone) in the final.
Go Mighty Thighs Go. :rocker2: :worship:

bandabou
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:21 PM
I think any other player, including the sisters themselves, would have a problem being seeded five when they are ranked four and should have technically been seeded that.

And I frankly don't think Lindsay took a "shot" at the sisters as you call it. She was more upset about the protected-ranking process and had every right to comment on it.

I see....cool then, because I think the sisters or at least Serena has proven she deserved her special seedings or ranking.

vogus
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Lindsay is not in the form of her life.

Her best tennis was from summer '98 through summer '00. The way she's playing now is still a far cry from that period of dominance in her career.

lizchris
Sep 10th, 2004, 10:40 PM
I guess the answer is yes. Svetlana beat her today.

flyingmachine
Sep 10th, 2004, 10:42 PM
I guess the answer is yes. Svetlana beat her today.
:woohoo:
I hope Tim will be in the men's finals as well. I will be very happy for that. :drool:

bandabou
Sep 10th, 2004, 10:51 PM
For that heīs to beat your Roger, flying....you aight with that?!