PDA

View Full Version : Anna Kournikova: Missing the Russian Revolution

carling
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:02 AM
Petrova just defeated Henin in straight sets. The Russian girls are really kicking ass. If Anna does return, I hope their success inspires her. Of course, there are many aspects of her game Anna would have to improve to be able to compete at the level of these Russian girls.

Anna's serve, forehand (more topspin!), consistency, and volleying would have to undergo major improvement for her to have a prayer of getting back into the top 20. Even before her injury, I felt Anna had never really improved throughout the years and her results showed it. She also needs to put on a bit of weight/muscle. Being as model thin as she is now is great for magazine covers and calendars, but Anna will have to get much stronger if she's going to hang with the 'big dogs' when she returns.

Anna says she's practicing 5 times a week. That's great, but have specific areas of her game gotten better? That's the question which begs to be answered in 2005.

GOOD JOB NADIA!!!

AK-DH Fan
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:18 AM
This Russian success, hopefully makes Anna want to come back even more. Considering she started the whole Russian invasian(argueable):) THis should drive Anna to come back and shows these young girls where it started:) Hopefully that's her mind set, when she returns:)

I agree she should get a bit stronger:) And about her serve & forehand, but the volleying she should keep the same. It has never been a problem for her She always did/will have a solid volley. I think it's the most natural shots she hits. That's one of things I feel Anna doesn't need to improve, along with her movement & backhand:) Well on August 25th Anna was seen in an Adidas training outfit. Poperotsi pic:) And she's been out of the spot light for a while now. Hopefully that proves she has been training 5 times a week. And yes, hopefully these questions will be answered in 2005:)

CONGRATS NADIA!!!

vogus
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:23 AM
what does Anna Kournikova have to do with Russian tennis success, i thought she is from Czech Republic :confused: :confused:

carling
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:23 AM
I agree that Anna's volley is one of better shots along with her backhand. But I have seen a lot of Anna K. matches (huge fan!) and she tended to hit drop or touch vollies rather than punching them.

Time will tell if Anna has the goods (mind and body) to comeback and be a force on the tour. Realisticly, the odds are against her, but my hope springs eternal. :)

carling
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:25 AM
what does Anna Kournikova have to do with Russian tennis success, i thought she is from Czech Republic :confused: :confused:
HELLO! Anna's from Moscow. Where the hell have you been?

firefly_ac
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:29 AM
HAHA!!..anna's the Tsarina who is behing the scene, directing the revolution....:lol:

AK-DH Fan
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:36 AM
I agree that Anna's volley is one of better shots along with her backhand. But I have seen a lot of Anna K. matches (huge fan!) and she tended to hit drop or touch vollies rather than punching them.

Time will tell if Anna has the goods (mind and body) to comeback and be a force on the tour. Realisticly, the odds are against her, but my hope springs eternal. :)

Yeah, carling I deffinately agree. I watched so may of her matches in 2000 to 2003 and she luvs her drop volleys. Anna has great feal so she deffiately can pull them off, but sometimes she does it too much and she might try to put too much spin on them/so sometimes they miss. But Anna can just punch the volley for a winner, but sometimes she just choses not too. But I really don't think that's something to improve(just maybe shot selection-whether to punch or drop-volley) I think when she gets up there she wins most of the points no matter if she's punching them, hitting swing vollies, drop vollies whatever. It's great to watch, luv those delicate shots/angles she comes up with :wavey: :)

shannonannafan
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:08 AM
I just miss Anna so much. That little 17 year old Russian kid is starting to rub off on me, but she's not my Anna. All Elenas and Anastasia are great but once again not my Anna. Nadia, Svetlana, and Vera are wonderful, but once again not my Anna.

thelittlestelf
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:10 AM
I miss Anna, if she comes back I hope she is more focused and commits more to the sport.

shannonannafan
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:23 AM
I miss Anna, if she comes back I hope she is more focused and commits more to the sport.
:sad: I'm with you pal!!!:sad:

AK-DH Fan
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:27 AM
:sad: I'm with you pal!!!:sad:

Me too :sad: :bigcry:

Hopefully all our support will pay off. Too bad we probably won't know until 2005, but we just have to be patient & positive. She'll be back, I know it :wavey: :hug: :

SerialKiller#69
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:35 AM
Yeah, carling I deffinately agree. I watched so may of her matches in 2000 to 2003 and she luvs her drop volleys. Anna has great feal so she deffiately can pull them off, but sometimes she does it too much and she might try to put too much spin on them/so sometimes they miss. But Anna can just punch the volley for a winner, but sometimes she just choses not too. But I really don't think that's something to improve(just maybe shot selection-whether to punch or drop-volley) I think when she gets up there she wins most of the points no matter if she's punching them, hitting swing vollies, drop vollies whatever. It's great to watch, luv those delicate shots/angles she comes up with :wavey: :)
Yeah, I noticed that too. Her last exo with Tanasugarn showed delicate touch, volleying skills at the net. Her movement and backhand are things of beauty in the court. Unfortunately, with today's game, she will be forced to counter-attack at the baseline considering the enormous shift in power game that is prevalent right now.

shannonannafan
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:37 AM
Me too :sad: :bigcry:

Hopefully all our support will pay off. Too bad we probably won't know until 2005, but we just have to be patient & positive. She'll be back, I know it :wavey: :hug: :It's nice to hear she has other fans besides me. And, SHE WILL BE BACK!!!:D

esquímaux
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:40 AM
HELLO! Anna's from Moscow. Where the hell have you been?
:lol:

Masharapova
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:51 AM
carling :worship:

AK-DH Fan
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:19 AM
It's nice to hear she has other fans besides me. And, SHE WILL BE BACK!!!:D

Deffinately, I'm a huge fan. I've been a fan since 2000 and will continue to be:) I'm glad to here u haven't given up on Anna, like some others have :wavey: But not us,(worth repeating:)SHE WILL BE BACK:)

AK-DH Fan
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Yeah, I noticed that too. Her last exo with Tanasugarn showed delicate touch, volleying skills at the net. Her movement and backhand are things of beauty in the court. Unfortunately, with today's game, she will be forced to counter-attack at the baseline considering the enormous shift in power game that is prevalent right now.

That's cool that u've seen a match that recently, the last time I saw her(TV) was at the exibition vs Carly Gullickson a month or so before the match Tanasugarn, and it was just a few points. Recorded over it(stupid me) :mad: But yeah, she doesn't need to change her backhand or movement. But I have a fealing once Anna comes back, she won't have a problem with todays baseliners, if her forehand is consistent. As long as she's not hitting too may ue's I think that she can hang with alot of the players out there. Reason #1- Anna does hit the ball hard & that's not gonna change(hard & flat) I still think it will be affectictive in todays game. Reason#2- Anna like players who hit the ball hard, plays well against pace. :)

RatedR Superstar
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:01 AM
That's cool that u've seen a match that recently, the last time I saw her(TV) was at the exibition vs Carly Gullickson a month or so before the match Tanasugarn, and it was just a few points. Recorded over it(stupid me) :mad: But yeah, she doesn't need to change her backhand or movement. But I have a fealing once Anna comes back, she won't have a problem with todays baseliners, if her forehand is consistent. As long as she's not hitting too may ue's I think that she can hang with alot of the players out there. Reason #1- Anna does hit the ball hard & that's not gonna change(hard & flat) I still think it will be affectictive in todays game. Reason#2- Anna like players who hit the ball hard, plays well against pace. :)

I saw that game too, our sports channel kept on showing that match over and over again.

I wish anna could come back so that womens tennis could be more popular here in asia so that they could show tournaments of wta more.

ALPHA
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Petrova just defeated Henin in straight sets. The Russian girls are really kicking ass. If Anna does return, I hope their success inspires her. Of course, there are many aspects of her game Anna would have to improve to be able to compete at the level of these Russian girls.While a Russian scores a win every here and then, I think the media exaggerates their success. Petrova beat Henin this week, okay. But in same tourney, Myskina and Sharapova, the reigning Roland Garros and Wimbledon Champions didn't even reach 4th Round.

To compete at the level of these players, AnnaK just will need to comeback to play the way she did 1998 to 2000. As AnnaK in these days, they all have their personal two good weeks per season, when they score. But throughout the rest of the year, they have a hard time to beat the top-players of their era.

Anna's serve, forehand (more topspin!), consistency, and volleying would have to undergo major improvement for her to have a prayer of getting back into the top 20. Even before her injury, I felt Anna had never really improved throughout the years and her results showed it. She also needs to put on a bit of weight/muscle. Being as model thin as she is now is great for magazine covers and calendars, but Anna will have to get much stronger if she's going to hang with the 'big dogs' when she returns.The last thing, I want her to change to is adding top-spin to her forehand. As "top-spinned" as she hit it the last time I watched her play tennis (Melbourne 2003) it's more than enough. Fact is, she needs a weapon to finish off points. She's no Conchita Martinez to play the ball 3 dozen times over the net to wait for the error made by her opponent. AnnaK goes for the winners, but she needs the groundstrokes to do so - a top-spin forehand won't do the job nowadays.
Consistency can't be improved in practice. It't the art to string together a couple of points in a match in order to win game by game to finally win the match.
Her volleys are fine in general (compared to other aspects of her game). It's just that she plays drop-volleys 90% of the time. She should mix it up more with deep-volleys - otherwise it gets predictable.
The serve however, I agree, is a key-point in her game. If she can't stabalize the 2nd serve at least, she will have a hard time to even play the Top-50 of our days. It seems that the return is one of the most practiced shots these days. Without a decent serve, you are lost in modern tennis. However, it remains to be seen, if her back injury allows her to change to a normal/better service motion. Her weak service might have been a result of avoiding back pain throughout the last months of her active career.

Adding muscle mass is okay, but needs to be adjusted to her bone structure. You can't double bizeps, if your bones don't hold up under the pressure of the generated power. It makes no sence to add 20 pounds muscle mass, if you get torn ligament after torn ligament and stress fracture after stress fracture in your feet, because they don't hold up under the pressure of on-court tennis play in pro-level.

Anna says she's practicing 5 times a week. That's great, but have specific areas of her game gotten better? That's the question which begs to be answered in 2005.

GOOD JOB NADIA!!!Remains to be seen, if she comes back in 2005. No official statement of her mentioned definite comeback plans for 2005. So, all the questions around her game-style and the level of it are a bit ... beyound the horizon yet. First, she needs to get rid of the back pain, then she needs to get fit again to play pro tennis. Then she needs to make the final decision to set a comeback date and name a comeback event.

... and then we need to get a TV station to air the match world wide.

Daniel
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Anna, I miss u :)

AK-DH Fan
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Anna, I miss u :)

CORRECTION-We miss u:)

the cat
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Hi Carling! :wavey: Who is your next favorite Russina after Anna?

And DC, when Anna hires a professional tennis coach then I'll believe she intends to make a comeback attempt. But until that happens I think she will stay retired. :(

tennischick
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Anna can't miss what she started! ;)

congrats to Anna, but much more so to Yevgheny Kafelnikov, for inspiring Russian girls to take up tennis racquets and come to America, lose their accents, and dominate the sport. :p

the cat
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:42 PM
You might be right about Yevgeny, TC. But I think Anna inspired the Russian girls even more than the Kafelnikov did. :p And they don't call the Spartak Tennis Club the Kournikova Factory for nothing. :)

tennischick
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Cat: i just didn't want ALL the credit going to Anna. and i am right about Kafelnikov who supported Russian tennis more directly than Anna ever did -- he gave a lot of these girls their very first racquet in some cases. but i agree that Anna, as a female, must have inspired them. it's interesting that while she went the route of skin display, the other girls have tended to focus mainly on ther TENNIS. and for this they should probably be grateful to Kafelnikov's influence.

the cat
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Good point, TC. Especially about Kafelnikov's financial support. And did you know it was Kafelnikov or his father who gave Maria Sharapova her first tennis racquet when Masha was 4? The story changes periodically so I can't keep track of who gave Masha her first racquet. ;)

tennischick
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:42 PM
it was Kafelnikov. and she wasn't the only one he helped. that's why i wanted to make sure he gets SOME credit for the revolution. ;)

AK-DH Fan
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Hi Carling! :wavey: Who is your next favorite Russina after Anna?

And DC, when Anna hires a professional tennis coach then I'll believe she intends to make a comeback atrempt. But until that happens I think she will stay retired. :(

She's not retired now.

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Petrova just defeated Henin in straight sets. The Russian girls are really kicking ass. If Anna does return, I hope their success inspires her. Of course, there are many aspects of her game Anna would have to improve to be able to compete at the level of these Russian girls.

Anna's serve, forehand (more topspin!), consistency, and volleying would have to undergo major improvement for her to have a prayer of getting back into the top 20. Even before her injury, I felt Anna had never really improved throughout the years and her results showed it. She also needs to put on a bit of weight/muscle. Being as model thin as she is now is great for magazine covers and calendars, but Anna will have to get much stronger if she's going to hang with the 'big dogs' when she returns.

GOOD JOB NADIA!!!

Yes.. good jpb nadia.. but Anna Kournikova deserves to stay on tha grave since she is a great failure and also she is a huge bad example to the multitude....

*JR*
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:04 AM
She's not retired now.So she'll make another "kinda comeback" in '05 to give the Annaholics their fix and "keep hope alive". Maybe one in 2007 too, for that matter. So what? :shrug:

the cat
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:25 AM
Kafelnikov deserves his share of the credit, TC. I was he was still playing double. The Russian Davis Cup team doesn't have 1 good doubles play on it so he should still be playing doubles.

bk, what makes you think Anna isn't reiired?

AjdeNate!
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:57 AM
I miss AnnaK

*JR*
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:03 AM
I miss AnnaK"Famous for being famous". Get ova it!

SerialKiller#69
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:14 AM
Nah. JollyRoger, you get ova your obsession thing with Anna and her fans. You're so predictable.

GBFH
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:34 AM
Nah. JollyRoger, you get ova your obsession thing with Anna and her fans. You're so predictable.
*claps* :)

Hant Hant
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:37 AM
Am I the only one who thinks Anna is a great tennis player? Everyone always make fun of her and say she never won a title. There are lots of veterans on tour who has not won a title and not achieved nearly as much as Anna. I think Anna is great at tennis.