PDA

View Full Version : What in your mind is the upset of the tourament???

Cybelle Darkholme
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:49 AM
No poll just say your answer and explain why:kiss:

thelittlestelf
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:50 AM
Myskina. She went out to someone unheard of!

MinnyGophers
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:51 AM
Justine. She really wasn't supposed to lose before the finals, or SF at least.
What went wrong I don't know.

XaDavK_Kapri
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:52 AM
Myskina, I agree

Cybelle Darkholme
I say the number one player and olympic champ going down in the fourth round is the biggest.

bmxbandit
Myskina and Henin are right up there.

AjdeNate!
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:53 AM
We haven't seen it yet :angel:

Mrs. Peel
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:56 AM
I say the number one player and olympic champ going down in the fourth round is the biggest.

I agree...Justine can win when she is playing like crap...she's been playing crap all US Open but she has made it through as her opponents let themselves get intimidated. Petrova just was smart enough to sense a weakness and open up a can of whoop ass.

This was totally unexpected. :eek:

CJ07
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:57 AM
definately Anna Chakvetadze def. Myskina

Because we all know what Petrova is capable of and Justine still isn't 100%.

However no one outside of RR knows who Anna is

Greenout
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:59 AM
Petrova was is seeded within the top 16. This isn't a big upset.
On hype it would be Maria; but on paper it goes to Myskina losing
to the little smarty pants.

SelesFan70
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:01 AM
Sesil NOT winning? :shrug: I"m just guessing Sesil's thinking that... :rolleyes:

AjdeNate!
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:07 AM
Sesil NOT winning? :shrug: I"m just guessing Sesil's thinking that... :rolleyes:
:sesil:

gossipcom
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:10 AM
Definitely Anna Chakvetadze beating Myskina - since she was one of the top seeds and she lost to a qualifier so early in.

fammmmedspin
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:12 AM
Myskina losing was no surprise - you just had to watch her lose the medal she wanted in athens.

Justine losing after doing so brilliantly in athens is a real surprise. Nadia just didn't play anything like that well on saturday and Justine nothing like as poorly.

Sveta beating Lindsay or Elena beating Momo will be more surprising still though.

MrSerenaWilliams
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:25 AM
Pierce

Myskina's win was a FLUKE @ best. She is still a Tier III level player, who on any given day can beat the top players, but she's not a top player.

Sharapova has the game to be #1 and Pierce was seeded 20 spots lower than her.

Then again I dunno. I don't think that there have been any REAL upsets.

Petrova is another any given day player and Justine is not 100% so......... I dunno.

Task
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:26 AM
Definitely Anastasia losing to a nobody.

WSfan
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:28 AM
Henin losing so early in the rounds and I'm quite displeased since she was the defending champion. I always hate it when the defending champion loses before the finals, or semis atleast.

mp3junkie
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:29 AM
Myskina and Henin are right up there.
Yes, I agree with this statement. They both have been dissapointments in this tournament.

Cybelle Darkholme
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:39 AM
Nah, the number one player losing to someone outside the top ten in womens tennis? Please that takes the cake. Shes number one. Shes the olympic champ who was fit enough to win in athens. Who is 100% nowadays? Not many people.

martirogi
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Myskina's win was a FLUKE @ best. She is still a Tier III level player, who on any given day can beat the top players, but she's not a top player.

Yea Myskina's gs was a fluke. i mean she was only ranked 5 before the title and hadn't won a tier 1 event like the kremlin cup or anything, so that proves she's not a top player.

harloo
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:44 AM
Justine's loss was the most shocking upset of the tournament. She went out in the 4th round too a player she should beat on paper. The no.1 player going out in the fourth round at the US Open on the women's side? I guess it was not meant to be tonight.

Mase
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:52 AM
Id have to go with Justine's loss.

fammmmedspin
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:03 AM
Pierce

Sharapova has the game to be #1 and Pierce was seeded 20 spots lower than her.

Then again I dunno. I don't think that there have been any REAL upsets.

Petrova is another any given day player and Justine is not 100% so......... I dunno.

Myskina was hardly a fluke. She has the scalps and the tournament wins. Venus, Serena, Jen not to mention the other Russians have fewer wins in their rankings against top players so by your definition nearly all the the top players would all be playing tier 5s. As Myskina has beaten Justine, Kim, Maria and Nadia actually no one would be playing tier2s except Lindsay and she lost in the GS Myskina won and lost wimbledon to a player Myskina beats. Athens explains Myskina though. She outplayed Henin till she thought of winning.

Maria was in a post win phase and it was a different surface so that was no surprise. Mary could beat Graf on her day when Graf was on a good day and there are few players you could say that about.

Justine was playing overwhelmingly well in athens after Myskina let her back in. Her defeat is a real mystery.

vettipooh
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:08 AM
I'd say the #1 seed, and defending champ, and Olympic gold medalist, going down in the 4th round,63 62,is a major upset!!!!!

Jem
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:10 AM
Myskina's loss was the biggest upset to me.

Freewoman33
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:19 AM
I think Myskina's loss was the upset of the tournament.

Justine's loss wasn't too suprising because Nadia is a great player with weapons that can hurt any of the top players. Although she very inconsistent, she has the ability to turn it on. I was amazed at how she held her nerves to serve for the match.

Richie77
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:22 AM
I have to go with the Myskina loss.
Petrova may not yet be a Slam champion, but she has the ability to knock a top seed or two out.

By contrast, I had never heard of Anna Chakvetadze before she beat Myskina.

FaceyFacem
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:27 AM
gonna say myskina as well, i mean i didn't think nastya was going to win the event, so i guess justine's would rank higher due to the chance she had to repeat as champ, but i think despite her athens struggle, with #1 possible for her, myskina's effort and loss was quite surprising

esquímaux
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:28 AM
The Bryans Brothers losing in doubles :awww:

silverwhite
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:51 AM
Myskina's loss to Chakvetadze, sans doute.

HectorMagnus
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:57 AM
Id have to go with Justine's loss.

Mase, I hope your Avatar is Lucky Avatar and will bring only good luck to Jen :angel:

Spunky83
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:13 AM
My two faves...haha...cheers to Nastya and Justine!!! Hope you both get some (especially for Nastya) well deserved rest before the indoor season.

Hawk
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:18 AM
I have to go with Justine.

I know Nadia is a good player but I didn't think she had enough game to do it. Plus the whole mental factor of taking down a #1.
I tip my hat to Nadia :hatoff:

Stefwhit
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:12 AM
Because of the scoreline and early exit I'm going to have go with JuJu lossing to Petrova. I think on TV they said something about the number one player losing only one other time before the Quarters at the open and that was close to 30 years ago (maybe I heard wrong?). If her defeat wasn't so lopsided of a defeat it wouldn't have been as big of a shock as it was.

hollywood7172
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:17 AM
a toss up between pierce d. sharapova and petrova d. henin-hardenne.

although pierce and sharpova are farther apart in rankings, i'll say the justine defeat was more surprising.:bounce:

SilK
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:26 AM
Anna Chakvetadze def. Babsi Schett (leading to her retirement)

was a big upset to me :|

Kostanic def. Sprem

another one that really suprised me ):

Haynes def. Maleeva

nobody thought that was quite shocking?

jlamire
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Momo is still there but Myskina and Justine are not.
Well Momo has not choked already :)

Lemonskin.
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Myskina, then JHH.

I don't believe Sharapova's was an upset, she's been off-form on the hardcourts.

tennnisfannn
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:54 AM
This time last year, petrova beating justine wouldn't be as a big a deal. But Petrova hasn't played well at all all year. I almost expected to lose in rd one but for her to survive and beat Justine with so much ease is what makes this upset the upset that it is.
As for Justine, despite her win in Athens, I still expected her to struggle and she may struggle for a while. Kinda like serena winning miami and still struggling to date. Justine is well enough to play, but string enough to thread lots of matches in a short span may take a while longer.

bandabou
Sep 7th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Wow...Justine set two records this year. At the French first defending champion to lose before the 3rd round in like 10+ years and now at the Open....no consistency whatsoever. One year good, one year bad...

Daniel
Sep 7th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Nastya :sad:

Lady
Sep 7th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Wow...Justine set two records this year. At the French first defending champion to lose before the 3rd round in like 10+ years and now at the Open....no consistency whatsoever. One year good, one year bad...

You're so right.
Justine won 1 slam, Olympics, and 3 other titles this year, while being off the tour for 4 months.
I mean, so many players have done better then that this year!

bandabou
Sep 7th, 2004, 12:12 PM
You're so right.
Justine won 1 slam, Olympics, and 3 other titles this year, while being off the tour for 4 months.
I mean, so many players have done better then that this year!

Not bad...but when it was defending time...horrors.

SJW
Sep 7th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Justine.....Tracy and everybody else was building her up to win the title and the brainwashing took over most people on this board :eek: my girl did the biz though :yeah:

selesfan
Sep 7th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Yea Myskina's gs was a fluke. i mean she was only ranked 5 before the title and hadn't won a tier 1 event like the kremlin cup or anything, so that proves she's not a top player.
Didn't she win the Kremlin Cup last year?:confused:

SJW
Sep 7th, 2004, 12:22 PM
sarcasm ;)

GoDominique
Sep 7th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Troll thread.

Lady
Sep 7th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Not bad...but when it was defending time...horrors.

She defended just as much tournaments as Serena did this year! :wavey:

KV
Sep 7th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Biggest upset. Anna Chakvetadze against whether a not fully-fit or badly playing Myskina.

Greenout
Sep 7th, 2004, 12:38 PM
After much consideration. Yes, it's Justine's loss. She's the number
1 player in the world, the defending champ and the Olympic Gold
Medalist. This title was hers to take, with only LD or Amelie in the
way. Serena is a maybe with injuries. Maria never was a contender.

Justine's loss is the biggest news of the 2nd week. It made more
headlines than Venus losing in the same round.

This is the way it goes with great players, big expectations.
Roger was only a footnote in the newspapers and tv sports clips.
She wasn't suppose to be beaten by the #15 seed. Only the
contenders were suppose to able try to beat her. The level
beaten contenders and everybody else is a more than oceans
wide.

crazillo
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Justine, Anastasia, Sprem and Maleeva.