PDA

View Full Version : Hadad departs as travelling coach...and the effect on Maria??

Dan23
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:31 AM
As posted in the GM forum, Mauricio Hadad has apparently quit as Maria's travelling coach after the match against Mary Pierce on Saturday:
All is not well in the Maria Sharapova camp. The 17-year-old Wimbledon champion's father, Yuri, whose signals led to her being warned for a coaching violation during Saturday's third-round defeat by Mary Pierce, 4-6, 6-2, 6-3, has created a breach in his daughter's back-up team. Yuri Sharapova headed a coaching trio with Robert Lansdorp and Mauricio Hadad. But Hadad quit within hours of Saturday's match, apparently frustrated by Yuri's dominating influence in his daughter's training.
-By John Roberts, Independent.co.uk 06 Sept

Nick Bollitteri has also written this article (which has been posted before) on the subject:
Nick Bollettieri: Father must take step back to let Sharapova bloom
06 September 2004

Maria Sharapova's father, Yuri, has done a fantastic job in helping his daughter make the most of her incredible talents, but after Saturday's defeat to Mary Pierce I believe he could do worse than take a step back to help her move on.

Let's not take anything away from Mary's win, which earned her a fourth-round match against Svetlana Kuznetsova.

Mary put so much pressure on Maria that the 17-year-old double-faulted 14 times and ultimately couldn't handle a barrage of devastating double-handed backhands.

But go back and look at the video of the match again. If you see Maria looking at the coaches' area once, you'll see her doing it 50 times. And the person she was looking for - Yuri.

At the best of times you don't want a player to be looking to their coach during a match. There's nothing a coach can do at that stage. And what you really don't want is a player looking to a coach who's also their father - and all that entails - at that stage. That's a serious combination, and not necessarily one that's the ideal way forward for a 17-year-old who won her first Grand Slam at Wimbledon and is looking for a steady way upwards.

I can draw a comparison between Maria at this time and Mary Pierce in 1995, when I was coaching her at the Australian Open. Mary made the final and after the semi I had to leave to go back to America.

"How can you leave me now, Nick, right before the final?" she asked me. "Because I know now that you don't need me to win it," I told her. She won it without me in the coaches' box, as I knew she could and as players who really want to achieve things should. Good coaching and support systems: fine. Umbilical cords that can just as easily strangle as nurture: no way.

I also remember around the same time when Mary kept on looking at me in the coaches' box during a match. It got to the stage where I had to say: "Mary, you look at me once more and I'm walking out." At vital times, and that includes matches, the player needs to be in control of their own mind and their own game.

Yuri has done a wonderful job for Maria. Now he might ask what he needs to do - or not - to continue doing a wonderful job. Maria has a tough climb ahead of her, one that she has the mental and physical capabilities of completing. But coping with pressures of all kinds is something she will have to get past first.

Coping with an injury is something Tim Henman did well against Michal Tabara. If Tim is healthy, I also see him beating Nicolas Kiefer, who will play a baseline game. Tim's offensive first volleys could be key in what I think will be a four-set win - or a five-set struggle that would favour the German the longer it lasted.

All this disruption cannot be good for Maria at a time when she needs some normality back in her life after the Wimby circus. :sad:
Perhaps Nick and Mauricio are right and Yuri is trying to take too much of a part in Marias coaching and career.
If this is the case I hope Yuri might realise and do the right thing even though im sure he thinks hes going about it the right way now.
Maybe finding a full-time coach to work with Maria and Yuri stepping back a bit is the best way to go??

Frank
Sep 7th, 2004, 10:15 AM
I have nothing against Yuri (yet), but what does he know about tennis? I think Maria needs a full time professional coach who can analyze her game and help her improving and developing it...

I don't think Yuri is capable of that...

A lot depends on Maria of course...How important is it for her to have her father around? If she feels better when she has her father around her, it's probably not a good thing for him to withdraw...

Anyway...I don't think what Bolletieri says is bullshit...He's very experienced and what he says makes sense...

Maria Croft
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Maybe nothing should change !! just let Maria play her game and let's see how this year ends...

Lemonskin.
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:32 AM
It's a general concensus around everyone that says that Maira's dad should take a step back. He's even starting to annoy me...

Dan23
Sep 7th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Yuri doesnt really need to back completely, just allow someone with a lot more professional experience in tennis to take charge of Marias training and help more closely with her game.

Sharapower
Sep 7th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Never heard of a certain girl named Kournikova ?

Frank
Sep 7th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Never heard of a certain girl named Kournikova ? There are loads of examples of evil tennis dads...

I hope Yuri doesn't become one...But he sure is trying...:scared:

the cat
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Maria can get Maurecio Hadad back as her travelling coach. Afterall he was there with Maria when she won Tokyo, Quebec, Birmingham and Wimbledon. He played a role with her success while Robert Lansdorp was back in los Angeles watching Masha;'s succes from afar. Lansdorp seems to think alot Of Hadad so maybe maria can re-hire him as her travelling coach. But she might have to give him a raise to return. And Hadad probably was not pleased to have recently learned that Maria's team was trying to re-ire Michael Baroch the Australian coach who along with Hadad worked with Maria for a short time in 2003.

Andy Mac
Sep 8th, 2004, 01:47 AM
well i think yuri does have to maybe step back and realize that all this on court activity aint helping his daughters game....wen i see him on tv...(apart fomr teh wimby final) he never looks like a happy fellow and i think that maybe he shud think about jsut lettting maria play her own game and stop tryin to control it from the "bench". it isnt a sport like hockey where the coach gets to call out plays n stuff....

Sharapower
Sep 8th, 2004, 07:11 AM
I was really impressed by Elena Dementieva's match again Mauresmo : with such a weak service and despite physical problems, Elena won it in a fantastic way. That's the illustration of what a professional coach can bring to you : Olga Morozova made a genuine top player of Elena. Remember Elena D 2 or 3 years ago : her game was just pathetic, she was hardly capable of hitting 3 groundtrokes in a row into the court, at the time she was followed by her mother (who seems to be a way better person than Yuri). Now she holds rallies and wins 29/31 net points. And she's got the guts now (except for that final in RG).

I think that should be inspiring for Maria and her entourage.

lakan kildap
Sep 8th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Guys, I'll lay off Yuri personally, I don't even know what's going on. I think the most that Yuri contributes to Maria's coaching is inspiration. Having said that, I still think it's time for Maria to move on, and yes, all that kissing during the final was discomforting.

Can't help but cheer for Lena D this morning. Even though she has been negative to Maria, and even though I had written in one of my posts that she's been bypassed by history, I still think her gutsy stand against Mauresmo was worth applauding. Maybe the two of them should make up and Maria can teach Lena a thing or two about tossing the ball :) before she faces Capriati.

And what about Mauresmo? What can I say? truthhurts :p ?

xan
Sep 9th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Maria definitely needs a good full-time travelling coach. Hadad was not really experienced enough to be that coach in my opinion, she needs someone more high powered. Unfortunately her first choice is now running an Australian Tennis Academy and can't travel.

but she needs someone pronto.

Andy Mac
Sep 10th, 2004, 12:51 AM
sweet anyone realize that jenn's gunna kick some serious lena d a*s??? or am i alone on that thought and are about to get seriously bad repped *sad face* please dont bed rep me didnt mean it *crys and runs away screaming*

Dan23
Sep 10th, 2004, 12:55 AM
:topic: :topic: :topic:

..but I hope Lena D wins :lol:

Andy Mac
Sep 10th, 2004, 12:57 AM
dan man! dont get all mad at me! lol i wasnt eht one that originally went off topic..taht was teh off topic master quasimodo..aah

Sharapower
Sep 10th, 2004, 05:59 AM
dan man! dont get all mad at me! lol i wasnt eht one that originally went off topic..taht was teh off topic master quasimodo..aah
I DIDN'T go off-topic. I was pointing out the effect of a professional coaching on a girl like LenaD who appeared as a weak player some months ago and who's now a major contender in big events.

We're talking about Maria's coaching issues, aren't we ?

Andy Mac
Sep 10th, 2004, 08:48 PM
yea i geuss sorry quasimodo!

sairam2
Sep 14th, 2004, 10:50 PM
some more proof that yuri is strict.....click below...

click here (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/787199.cms)

Andy Mac
Sep 14th, 2004, 11:23 PM
that doesnt say much but still.....all it says it that he shouted at her...thats nothing...all parents/coaches will shout at their child/player at times...jsut to get them going

Lemonskin.
Sep 15th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Yuri shits me. He should step away all together, and give Rob Landsorp full-time coaching honours

lakan kildap
Sep 15th, 2004, 09:25 AM
there's always the Federer approach. And this doesn't even mean she has to fire Langsdorp, she can still get coaching whenever she's in the US during intervals between tournaments. But on the road, Maria can go without any coach, trainer, agent, publicist, manager or just about any hanger-on. How's that?

Of course, having no agent could be hard, since she's a minor, technically. Maybe she can travel with just her agent to arrange things for her. It doesn't have to be absolute "I go alone". Even Fereder has someone with him, his girlfriend, I think acts as his manager.

sairam2
Sep 15th, 2004, 10:17 AM
yuri is too conservative....treats maria like a TV....and he hold the remote of that TV....can,t he give her some indipendence....

Lemonskin.
Sep 15th, 2004, 10:24 AM
there's always the Federer approach. And this doesn't even mean she has to fire Langsdorp, she can still get coaching whenever she's in the US during intervals between tournaments. But on the road, Maria can go without any coach, trainer, agent, publicist, manager or just about any hanger-on. How's that?

Of course, having no agent could be hard, since she's a minor, technically. Maybe she can travel with just her agent to arrange things for her. It doesn't have to be absolute "I go alone". Even Fereder has someone with him, his girlfriend, I think acts as his manager.

That's fine for Federer when he's clearly the best bloke out there and is in the best form of his life. Plus, Federer is vry good technically, and doesn't need a coach really.

I don't believe Maria has any of that yet. She's way too young yet to be going around without a coach., Her game would fall apart.

Andy.
Sep 15th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Maria should have talks with Nick and see if they can organise a good coach together. America seems to have a multitude of good coaches. Maybee Robert Vantof Davenport's former coach or if Davenport retires Adam Peterson.

Andy Mac
Sep 15th, 2004, 08:11 PM
i agree andrew!

lakan kildap
Sep 16th, 2004, 05:59 AM
That's fine for Federer when he's clearly the best bloke out there and is in the best form of his life. Plus, Federer is vry good technically, and doesn't need a coach really.

I don't believe Maria has any of that yet. She's way too young yet to be going around without a coach., Her game would fall apart.

Well, like I said, it doesn't have to be an absolute "I go alone" decision. She can still have a coach when in the States. That works for Lansdorp too, since he doesn't like travelling beyond the US. However, coach or no coach, Nick's point in his article is that Maria should try to refrain from looking up the stands during crucial stages. She has to figure out a way to win on her own. She has to convince herself that no coach could help her win a battle that is already joined.

Glad I got someone to admit Maria's game isn't fully developed yet. At least, that's how I understood what you said. There's no shame in it. She's only 17, after all.

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Sep 16th, 2004, 06:05 AM
I DIDN'T go off-topic. I was pointing out the effect of a professional coaching on a girl like LenaD who appeared as a weak player some months ago and who's now a major contender in big events.

We're talking about Maria's coaching issues, aren't we ?

well.. I still consider the fact that Maria's nose and tastebuds are more sexy! Aren't we talking about teh same person? :confused:

Lemonskin.
Sep 16th, 2004, 08:34 AM
I think we've all heard enough about Maria's tastebuds, armpits, toenails etc.

Maybe Maria could go a completely different direction and get Federer as a coach? :p :D

Dan23
Sep 16th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Glad I got someone to admit Maria's game isn't fully developed yet. At least, that's how I understood what you said. There's no shame in it. She's only 17, after all.
Thats true :)
..and Maria knows it as well:
"I don't think I'm perfect just because I won a grand slam. I know there are many things I need to work on, you can't just win match after match, you have to develop it."
(From Franky boys sig ^_^)

Thats the exciting thing, Maria has already won a GS title and she still has a lot to learn. Her best is yet to come. :D

Frank
Sep 16th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Thats true :)
..and Maria knows it as well:
"I don't think I'm perfect just because I won a grand slam. I know there are many things I need to work on, you can't just win match after match, you have to develop it."
(From Franky boys sig ^_^) Hey! That's copyrighted you know! :mad:

:p

Frank
Sep 16th, 2004, 10:21 PM
I think we've all heard enough about Maria's tastebuds, armpits, toenails etc.

Maybe Maria could go a completely different direction and get Federer as a coach? :p :D :haha:

Maybe she could get Federer's armpit as a coach? :p

Edward.
Sep 16th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Hey! That's copyrighted you know! :mad:

:p

I'm sure Dan the Man never intended to infringe your copyright Franky G! :p

Frank
Sep 16th, 2004, 10:47 PM
I'm sure Dan the Man never intended to infringe your copyright Franky G! :p "Franky G" is copyrighted as well! :mad:

Edward.
Sep 16th, 2004, 10:59 PM
"Franky G" is copyrighted as well! :mad:

Copyrighted yes...by me! :p

Andy Mac
Sep 18th, 2004, 02:08 PM
ahahah "franky g" aha thats great

Josh B.
Sep 18th, 2004, 02:12 PM
I'LL BE MARIAS TRAVELLING NEW HEAD COACH. :hearts: :drool:

Andy Mac
Sep 18th, 2004, 02:15 PM
how about both federers armpits!

Dan23
Sep 18th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Hey cmon now fellas Im sure Maria would prefer to be coachless than go anywhere near Federers armpits..:D

Andy Mac
Sep 18th, 2004, 07:01 PM
i woudltn! ahhaha JOKES!

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Sep 24th, 2004, 04:53 AM
"Franky G" is copyrighted as well! :mad:

Duiz is a trademark (™) now! :devil: :fiery:

Andy Mac
Sep 24th, 2004, 08:15 PM
ohh how fun! duiz is a treademark!