PDA

View Full Version : Now that Venus was the underdog in a match at a slam.....

Knizzle
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:44 AM
Where was her overwhelming crowd support?? :scratch:

Jericho
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:45 AM
actually she did have a lot of support in the last game to be fair ;)...but the whole match was basically pro-Davenport...not really shocking ;)

thelittlestelf
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:45 AM
I know!

Knizzle
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:47 AM
actually she did have a lot of support in the last game to be fair ;)...but the whole match was basically pro-Davenport...not really shocking ;)
No she didn't she got some applause when hitting those amazing winners, but not much else.

Jericho
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:50 AM
No she didn't she got some applause when hitting those amazing winners, but not much else.
i heard a lot of cheers for Venus especially in the last game. ;)

But who cares anyways

Mase
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:52 AM
Im thinking they were going for the older, sentimental favorite. With all the talk about it possibly being Lindsays last year on tour, it makes sense.. But I would have to say there were a lot of people pulling for V as well.

*hingis_forever*
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:11 AM
Stop whining about Venus and crowd support. :rolleyes:

BK4ever
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:14 AM
I was in the audience...Vee didnt have alot of support at all, but that is expected...some people were even clapping at Vee's errors.

I hope Serena has on her tough skin tomorrow because it will be ridiculous when she plays Jen.

Knizzle
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:16 AM
Im thinking they were going for the older, sentimental favorite. With all the talk about it possibly being Lindsays last year on tour, it makes sense.. But I would have to say there were a lot of people pulling for V as well.
But I've heard that the reason the sisters don't get support is because their opponents are the underdogs, but now when they theory is tested, there is a "sentimental" fave across the net?? There weren't many pulling for Venus at all.

starr
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:21 AM
Maybe it's because people don't like them?

I dunno. It seems that both Venus and Serena get a ton of support in Miami.

Also they get a lot of support...... esp. Serena.... in New York when playing non-Americans.

But, you know, Lindsay is just the crowd's darling. I don't understand it myself, but I've sat in plenty of crowds where the crowd was madly cheering for Lindsay. It was tough for me because I was cheering for her opponents.

I'm sure that there are people who don't like Venus and Serena because they are black, but there are probably an equal number of people who do like them because they are black. Is it too much to think that some poeple don't like them simply because they don't like them. Just like some people (me) don't like Jennifer simply because they don't like her?

Venus Forever
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:21 AM
I don't know, I think the crowd was very conflicted tonight.

They wanted to see more tennis, but they didn't exactly want to root on Venus.:lol:

Jericho
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:22 AM

Also they get a lot of support...... esp. Serena.... in New York when playing non-Americans.

But, you know, Lindsay is just the crowd's darling. I don't understand it myself, but I've sat in plenty of crowds where the crowd was madly cheering for Lindsay. It was tough for me because I was cheering for her opponents.

I'm sure that there are people who don't like Venus and Serena because they are black, but there are probably an equal number of people who do like them because they are black. Is it too much to think that some poeple don't like them simply because they don't like them. Just like some people (me) don't like Jennifer simply because they don't like her?
i actually agree with that ;)

FaceyFacem
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:24 AM
i was on armstrong during that match, after the final score was posted, there was lots of applause

Couver
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:35 AM
i was on armstrong during that match, after the final score was posted, there was lots of applause
Of course because she had lost :smash:

CJ07
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:37 AM
did you not hear the claps when Lindsay faulted?

Venus had fans. Also, the crowd doesn't HAVE to cheer for Venus and Serena all the time. They are allowed to have other faves ;)

Knizzle
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:39 AM

Agreed as long as they don't play a fellow American

Venus/Mauresmo semis 2002 ring a bell. I didn't hear much support for Venus

Crowd doesn't reflect dislike for any other players as much as the sisters, no one knows the reason for sure, but what's so bad or different about them that they can't get the same treatment in America as other American players??

WF4EVER
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Knizzle, you should know better by now. Don't you know that Williams is always the exception to the rule?

backhanddtl4
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Well...Everyone knows Lindsay's situation, they probably want her to win one more slam

Knizzle
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:43 AM
Knizzle, you should know better by now. Don't you know that Williams is always the exception to the rule?
The problem is that I seem to be one of the only ones who know, or rather admit it. You notice this thread doesn't have 80 replies like the others.

starr
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:44 AM
I could tell you why I don't like them, but there may be others who dislike them for other reasons.

I notice Venus and Serena get even less support in Europe than they do in the U.S.
It doesn't matter what I say, you will think it is because they are black because that is your perspective.

People didn't like Hingis either (except in Australia) and I didn't think there was any reson to dislike her but others did.

My advice is to get over it and quit whining about it. You aren't the only one who has ever backed a player who wasn't a crowd favorite.

Damm, you should have seen Steffi Graf play in New York ....... no love there and mainly because she was German. She barely got applause when she won the frigging Grand Slam. Also Navratilova wasn't loved by the crowd until late in her career either. Even darling Chrissy had her troubles with the crowds. Just wait until Venus and Serena are old timers. Then you might see some more demonstrative crowd affection for them.

Jericho
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:47 AM
maybe its because of the "half a man" comments

martirogi
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:49 AM
Why do you have to be so divisive? You're just trying to start shit that doesn't exist. People don't care about race, they cheer for the personality and style of game they like.

BK4ever
no matter Lindsay's situation...they were never going to cheer more loudly for Venus over Davey PERIOD

Pureracket
Knizzle. .. please. You know these folks aren't going to EVER fully support these two. Hell, there are posters who are on this board for the reason of rooting against them (they don't have a player of their own).

PM about Starr. I can tell you serious stories about her dislike for Venus.

Knizzle
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:51 AM
I could tell you why I don't like them, but there may be others who dislike them for other reasons.

I notice Venus and Serena get even less support in Europe than they do in the U.S.
It doesn't matter what I say, you will think it is because they are black because that is your perspective.

People didn't like Hingis either (except in Australia) and I didn't think there was any reson to dislike her but others did.

My advice is to get over it and quit whining about it. You aren't the only one who has ever backed a player who wasn't a crowd favorite.

Damm, you should have seen Steffi Graf play in New York ....... no love there and mainly because she was German. She barely got applause when she won the frigging Grand Slam. Also Navratilova wasn't loved by the crowd until late in her career either. Even darling Chrissy had her troubles with the crowds. Just wait until Venus and Serena are old timers. Then you might see some more demonstrative crowd affection for them.
I never said it was because they were black, I just pointed out that they seem to get treated differently. It's natural for Graf being German not to get crowd support in the US, I'm sure she got it after becoming a citizen. I don't expect the sisters or any other American to be a crowd favorite in Europe, but what I don't understand is that everyone tells me they never got support cause they weren't underdogs, but now that they are I don't see them receiving support. The crowd didn't ever cheer for a longer match today, just for Venus to lose. No one is whining, I don't need you to tell me that. So when everyone said they got no support because they weren't underdogs I was whining?? Fine, but now the theory everyone gave me falls through and I'm still considered to be whining?? I'm searching for answers.

mykarma
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:54 AM
Why do you have to be so divisive? You're just trying to start shit that doesn't exist. People don't care about race, they cheer for the personality and style of game they like.Are you for real? Go over to the Yahoo board where there's no commentator, then come back and tell me bull sh_t.

Go under tennis/general

mykarma
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:55 AM
Where was her overwhelming crowd support?? :scratch:I'm sure you know the underdog was bull shit for some, and wishful thinking for others.

Stamp Paid
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:56 AM
Venus and Serena will never be underdogs, even if they fall to 250 in the world: They will still be bigger and stronger and blacker than theri competition! http://wtaworld.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://wtaworld.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Knizzle
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:59 AM
For the record I expect it to be ALOT worse when Serena plays Jennifer based on past experiences.

WF4EVER
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:01 AM
For the record I expect it to be ALOT worse when Serena plays Jennifer based on past experiences.
I'd be very surprised if you were wrong. I can never forget the 2001 semi-finals. You'd think Venus had just flown in from Mars.

Knizzle
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:05 AM
About the race Issue starr mentioned, she should take a look at treufreund's thread about Venus being rude to LD at the net. He TOTALLY assumed because someone at USA said that Venus and LD's handshake at the net was icy that Venus was automatically rude to Lindsay. I guess there was no way LD could have any part in being rude to someone. That terrible Venus probably tried to break LD's knuckles while shaking her hand.

geoepee
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:08 AM
Why do you have to be so divisive? You're just trying to start shit that doesn't exist. People don't care about race, they cheer for the personality and style of game they like.
LOL. I seriously hope you were being sarcastic. And if you were, then you are very clever my friend.

If not, you've gotta be kidding me...

dreamgoddess099
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:11 AM
Knizzle sweetie, we know why Venus and Serena don't receive the same support that other Americans get. It certainly isn't because of their personalities or court behavior because Jennifer's on court behavior is worse and yet she gets plenty of support. You know there are just certain people who will never understand what is plain as day to others because they simply can't relate. There are a lot of naive people in the world who only see what makes them feel better. In their minds, injustice isn't their problem so they just deny that it exists and look the other way. Anybody who points it out and calls for change is considered a whiner. As if itís too much to ask for fairness and equality.

WtaTour4Ever
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:12 AM
I guess they must have wanted to see a 3 setter b/c Justine got TONS of support. WS fans myself included just have to accept 9/10 the crowd will not be pro WS, they may clap at times and have their fans but not overwhelming support. That said as long as they don't rudely booo I could give a flying f*ck, I think the sisters are used to it by now,,probably throws them off when they are the fave.

Knizzle
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:13 AM
I'd be very surprised if you were wrong. I can never forget the 2001 semi-finals. You'd think Venus had just flown in from Mars.
I know it was ridiculous, even Venus herself marvelled at it during the match while she was waiting for Jen to stop whining about calls and listening to the crowd whistle and boo holding up play for over a minure. Mary Carillo even pointed out how partial the fans where in favor of Jen.

Pureracket
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:13 AM
:worship: Knizzle sweetie, we know why Venus and Serena don't receive the same support that other Americans get. It certainly isn't because of their personalities or court behavior because Jennifer's on court behavior is worse and yet she gets plenty of support. You know there are just certain people who will never understand what is plain as day to others because they simply can't relate. There are a lot of naive people in the world who only see what makes them feel better. In their minds, injustice isn't their problem so they just deny that it exists and look the other way. Anybody who points it out and calls for change is considered a whiner. As if itís too much to ask for fairness and equality.:worship:

TRUTH

Knizzle
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:14 AM
I guess they must have wanted to see a 3 setter b/c Justine got TONS of support. WS fans myself included just have to accept 9/10 the crowd will not be pro WS, they may clap at times and have their fans but not overwhelming support. That said as long as they don't rudely booo I could give a flying f*ck, I think the sisters are used to it by now,,probably throws them off when they are the fave.
Yeah I heard and saw the support from Justine, but I kept my mouth shut cause people around here can't handle the truth.

Knizzle
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:15 AM
Knizzle sweetie, we know why Venus and Serena don't receive the same support that other Americans get. It certainly isn't because of their personalities or court behavior because Jennifer's on court behavior is worse and yet she gets plenty of support. You know there are just certain people who will never understand what is plain as day to others because they simply can't relate. There are a lot of naive people in the world who only see what makes them feel better. In their minds, injustice isn't their problem so they just deny that it exists and look the other way. Anybody who points it out and calls for change is considered a whiner. As if itís too much to ask for fairness and equality.
Stop dropping that science my sista. :worship:

AjdeNate!
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:17 AM
I can't speak about the overwhelming (lack) of crowd support, but me personally, I was quite enjoying both players' efforts today.

I expect the crowd 50/50 of maybe even a little more pro-Aneras tomorrow due to the Althea ceremony right before the match.

dreamgoddess099
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:20 AM
Forget bull, that's complete horse shit. :lol: Since when is Lindsay's personality and style of game so much different than Venus's, it warrents her to receive more support than her fellow American?

Jem
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:55 AM
The problem is that I seem to be one of the only ones who know, or rather admit it. You notice this thread doesn't have 80 replies like the others.
OK, I'm biting, though it's probably a losing proposition. I rooted for Davenport today against Venus. I've always rooted for Davenport against Venus and against Serena, too. I like Davenport -- her personality and her game -- better than Serena and Venus. Is it because she is white? Maybe. I'm white, so granted, I probably identify more with her from that angle. But mostly, I like Davenport because she doesn't seem to have an over-inflated ego. She is someone who has truly maximized her talent. She's not interested in being a star, but rather seems to be content with being the best tennis player she can be. On the whole, I find her gracious and easygoing, and I want success for her.

As for Venus and Serena -- sorry for lumping them together -- but I was turned off by their attitude from the get-go, so I've never been very fond of them. As youngsters, I found them incredibly arrogant and I thought their rags-to-riches story was a bit overblown. I don't doubt that bullets may have been wizzing by when they were practicing on the courts in Compton. But the truth is that since a very early age, 12 or 13, they have been bankrolled by agents/sponsors and have pretty much lived the good life. I also don't appreciate their part-time commitment to tennis. Too me, they have taken far more than they have given to the game. They don't seem to appreciate the history and they've never supported the tour in a way that I felt was appropriate (By the way, I felt the same way about Steffi Graf).

All that said, I've been much impressed of late by what I see as an improvement in their respect for opponents. It seems as if they've been willing to acknowledge the good play of others -- something I did not see earlier in their career. I was grossly turned off by Venus' comment in Stanford after she lost to Davenport in a close, hard-fought, very competitive match. Venus's take seemed to be: If I'd have played half-way decent, I'd have won the match. She has every right to feel that way and express her feelings. But I also have every right to see that as proof positive that she has little respect for Lindsay.

I hope that my reasons for not supporting Serena and Venus wholeheartdly line up with my personal values/beliefs and not merely because they happen to be black while I'm white. I'd like to think that the majority of people at the U.S. Open have similar reasons for rooting for Davenport or against Venus, as was the case today. It seems to me that if it's OK for black people to root for Venus/Serena in part because of their ethnicity, then it should be the same for white people to root for Davenport for the same reason.

Tomorrow, when Serena plays Capriati, I will be rooting for Williams. The reason: Capriati's personality is terrible to me. I was a Capriati fan for a lot of years -- until I realized what a foul-mouthed, rude person she appears to be. Since then, I could care less whether she wins or loses.

You know what's really sad about all this is that I sometimes feel like we're doomed never to get this race thing right in the United States. There are white racists out there to be sure and there's a lot of subtle racism, too. But there's also too many blacks who want to chalk everything up to racism when that's not the case. It's a vicious cycle, and the longer I live, the more inclined I am to believe we'll never get it sorted out. When you throw in the increasing lack of civility and tolerance in our society -- this board provides ample evidence of that -- I think it makes it all the more unlikely that people will be able to get beyond their differences to enjoy and appreciate everything we have in common.

tennisiscool
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:21 AM
:yawn: Do these people ever stop whining ? :yawn:

Veritas
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:33 AM
I do believe that one of the reasons why people were rooting more for Davenport was because she is white. It is not surprising and it shouldn't be. Call America "multicultural" if you like, but the fact is that most people are not colour blind. You will get blacks supporting blacks, whites supporting whites, asians for asians, etc. What is the big deal? People can support who they want. If it's a popularity contest you want, then tennis probably isn't for you. Hollywood would be a better bet.

gentenaire
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:50 AM
I never said it was because they were black, I just pointed out that they seem to get treated differently.

Stop dropping that science my sista. :worship:

You're contradicting yourself here.

I agree with Jem and starr, it's not because the sisters seem perferct in your eyes, that they seem that way to everyone. We all have different favs for different reasons, just accept it.

gentenaire
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Knizzle. .. please. You know these folks aren't going to EVER fully support these two. Hell, there are posters who are on this board for the reason of rooting against them (they don't have a player of their own).

If you bothered to read threads about other players you'd know that this isn't restricted to the Williams sisters. Check out the Justine fans excuses thread, Newbee is the perfect example of what you'd call a Justine hater.

PM about Starr. I can tell you serious stories about her dislike for Venus.

So what?

williamsharapov
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Where was her overwhelming crowd support?? :scratch:

we the venus fans are always here for her. i do not cannot understand what happen to the crowd when i was watching on tv.
venus will work harder next year and win all the grandslams to prove everybody wrong.
she's so much natural talent and will be the bestest in the worlds again.

we love u venus.

Joana
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Is there a law that evrybody must worship your fave?

Jakeev
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:25 AM
You know I bet a friend an expensive dinner that when I came onto this board tonight, I would find posts of Venus fans lamenting about how she was not cheered for against Lindsay.

Good grief if I did not win that bet. Fine, I am having a great seafood dinner one night, but why is this thread so f^&6ing predictable?

You know what I saw in the match tonight? I constantly heard Venus' name called with, " Go Venus." or "Come on Venus." I actually would hear yeah and clapping when Lindsay would hit a fault or an unforced error.

I also saw the camera's focus on Venus fans (who gasp, seemed to be white folks:eek: ), not Lindsay fans, everytime Venus hit a spectacular winner, but not when Lindsay did.

And that spectacular 10th game of the second set. That has to be the loudest cheers I think I have ever heard a crowd egg Venus on to win a game.

Yeah, Lindsay got her applause and cheers. But Venus got her props too.

Funny how I saw all that tonight but not a single Venus fans has admitted that.

So congrats to my girl Lindsay, cause you had one fan cheering you very LOUDLY this evening.....

hollywood7172
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:32 AM
since when does "everyone" support the underdog theory? i think the underdog theory is a load of crap.

let's get real. people will tend to cheer for their own race. that's not necessarily racist. it's just a natural reaction. as long as they are "cheering for their race" and not "cheering AGAINST another race", it's pretty much human nature and expected.

lindsay and venus are both americans. lindsay is caucasian, venus is african-american. they are playing in a stadium with more caucasians than african-americans. who do you THINK will get more cheers??

lastly, why does anyone actually CARE who the crowd cheers for? does anyone here buy records based on sales figures? or designers based on popularity? or cars based on sales numbers? so why care about who the crowd cheers for, when you have no IDEA what kind of taste the crowd has???

in most cases, the general population has awful taste anyway.

"Sluggy"
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:58 AM
[QUOTE=Jem]OK, I'm biting, though it's probably a losing proposition. I rooted for Davenport today against Venus. I've always rooted for Davenport against Venus and against Serena, too. I like Davenport -- her personality and her game -- better than Serena and Venus. Is it because she is white? Maybe. I'm white, so granted, I probably identify more with her from that angle. But mostly, I like Davenport because she doesn't seem to have an over-inflated ego. She is someone who has truly maximized her talent. She's not interested in being a star, but rather seems to be content with being the best tennis player she can be. On the whole, I find her gracious and easygoing, and I want success for her.

Jem - i cant remember too many other posts you've written to gauge your attitudes generally, but I think that you are courageous to talk about race so candidly. It reminds me of a discussion I had with a caucasian person very recently. he is a person who I would think is not racist. I asked him if he liked Serena and he said yes. I asked if she was his favourite and he said no. And i asked why and he said "cause shes black". I suppose that put things in perspective for me. Kinda sucks though, doesnt it? what does a person of colour have to do to get as much appreciation as a white athlete in a primarily white society? Jews loved Hank Greenberg, Joe D. and and Joe Peppitone were the pride of Italian Americans, it goes on and on. So what conclusion can you draw? I really dont know? I tend to think that Lindsay should get more support being that it is her last slam, but it doesnt answer the entire question. Michael Jordan I believe is an exception. I cant imagine a white guy, even if he was as good as Mike, being loved as much as he, and that crosses all racial barriers.

bandabou
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Itīs cool....no problemos. Thatīs the way it is ALWAYS gonna be. Everybody has the right to cheer whom they want......

Jakeev
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:53 PM
OK, I'm biting, though it's probably a losing proposition. I rooted for Davenport today against Venus. I've always rooted for Davenport against Venus and against Serena, too. I like Davenport -- her personality and her game -- better than Serena and Venus. Is it because she is white? Maybe. I'm white, so granted, I probably identify more with her from that angle. But mostly, I like Davenport because she doesn't seem to have an over-inflated ego. She is someone who has truly maximized her talent. She's not interested in being a star, but rather seems to be content with being the best tennis player she can be. On the whole, I find her gracious and easygoing, and I want success for her.

As for Venus and Serena -- sorry for lumping them together -- but I was turned off by their attitude from the get-go, so I've never been very fond of them. As youngsters, I found them incredibly arrogant and I thought their rags-to-riches story was a bit overblown. I don't doubt that bullets may have been wizzing by when they were practicing on the courts in Compton. But the truth is that since a very early age, 12 or 13, they have been bankrolled by agents/sponsors and have pretty much lived the good life. I also don't appreciate their part-time commitment to tennis. Too me, they have taken far more than they have given to the game. They don't seem to appreciate the history and they've never supported the tour in a way that I felt was appropriate (By the way, I felt the same way about Steffi Graf).

All that said, I've been much impressed of late by what I see as an improvement in their respect for opponents. It seems as if they've been willing to acknowledge the good play of others -- something I did not see earlier in their career. I was grossly turned off by Venus' comment in Stanford after she lost to Davenport in a close, hard-fought, very competitive match. Venus's take seemed to be: If I'd have played half-way decent, I'd have won the match. She has every right to feel that way and express her feelings. But I also have every right to see that as proof positive that she has little respect for Lindsay.

I hope that my reasons for not supporting Serena and Venus wholeheartdly line up with my personal values/beliefs and not merely because they happen to be black while I'm white. I'd like to think that the majority of people at the U.S. Open have similar reasons for rooting for Davenport or against Venus, as was the case today. It seems to me that if it's OK for black people to root for Venus/Serena in part because of their ethnicity, then it should be the same for white people to root for Davenport for the same reason.

Tomorrow, when Serena plays Capriati, I will be rooting for Williams. The reason: Capriati's personality is terrible to me. I was a Capriati fan for a lot of years -- until I realized what a foul-mouthed, rude person she appears to be. Since then, I could care less whether she wins or loses.

You know what's really sad about all this is that I sometimes feel like we're doomed never to get this race thing right in the United States. There are white racists out there to be sure and there's a lot of subtle racism, too. But there's also too many blacks who want to chalk everything up to racism when that's not the case. It's a vicious cycle, and the longer I live, the more inclined I am to believe we'll never get it sorted out. When you throw in the increasing lack of civility and tolerance in our society -- this board provides ample evidence of that -- I think it makes it all the more unlikely that people will be able to get beyond their differences to enjoy and appreciate everything we have in common.
Wow I missed this post somehow. It is one of the most genuine and honest posts I have read from any poster. I think everyone who complains about their faves and what people think of them really need to read this post.

Time to take the blinders off.......