PDA

View Full Version : Maria Coach Quits

Doc
Sep 6th, 2004, 07:55 PM
According to the Independent Newspaper today, Mauricio Hadad, Maria's travelling coach quit her team following the Pierce match supposedly "frustrated by Yuri's dominating influence in his daughter's training."

The paper also includes an article by Nick Bollettieri
http://sport.independent.co.uk/tennis/story.jsp?story=558660

This says that it is time for Yuri to stand back and let his daughter bloom. He states that Maria looks to Yuri for encouragement/instruction too often in a match, and she needs to be more independent on court.

le bon vivant
Sep 6th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Uh oh, a male Alla Kournikova!!

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Sep 6th, 2004, 08:46 PM
That is sad...

bandabou
Sep 6th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Has been a loooooooooooonnngg time coming. Anybody who watches her matches, knows that the comment about her daddy is true.

shannonannafan
Sep 6th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Uh oh, a male Alla Kournikova!!
How true that is!!!

Frank
Sep 6th, 2004, 09:32 PM
I agree...I have nothing against Yuri (yet) but what does he know about tennis? Maria should have a full time professional coach to help her improve and develop her game...

bmxbandit
Sep 6th, 2004, 09:35 PM
That guy always gave me the creeps and does remind me a lot of Damir...

Even though I'm not a fan of Maria, I really hope she doesn't experience anything like Jelena has.

SilK
Sep 6th, 2004, 10:04 PM
tennis parents should be illigal.. unless they Richard Williams :lol:

Fantastic
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:37 PM
The commentators on Aussie TV implied that Robert Landsdorp had quit too. They kept referring to him as her EX-coach. If Hadad and Landsdorp are both gone, who is left?

Wasn't Yuri supposedly working as a tennis coach two hours away from the Bolletieri camp when he and Maria first came to America? That was the story her PR guy was giving out. So maybe Yuri does know a little bit about coaching, if that is indeed true.

the cat
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Good luck to Maurecio Hadad of the Bolelttieri Tennis Academy. He helped Maria win 4 titles including Wimbledon in the nearly 2 years he worked with Maria Sharapova. I hope Masha thanked him for his help. This moves surprises me because Robert Lansdorp thinks alot of Hadad and he approves of his being her travelling coach. Maybe Masha can re-hire if she gives him a raise. Or perhaps she is saving her money to re-hire Australian coach Michael Baroch who along with Hadad worked as 1 of Maria's travelling coahces last year. I hope Team Sharapova makes the right move where Maria's next travelling coach is concerned.

DemWilliamsGulls
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:55 PM
I think thats one of the worse things u can do..I would always want to have my parents there to help me out...nobody knows u like your parents. I guess it also depends on the relationship u have with them. If your parent puts a lot of pressure on you to win..then I can understand...but from lookin at the relationshipw with the williams sisters, Richard didnt put any pressure on them ( thought the media tried to make it seem that way ) those girls luv and have the up-most respect for Richard..and I think without him...they wouldn't be where they are now. Good luck Maria...*my honorary williams sister*

tennischick
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:57 PM
sorry to sound cynical but with Sharapova's Wimbledon win, Hadad knows that his immediate future is secure. players will pay him top dollar now -- better than whatever he was getting before. it's a good time for him to leave, regardless of the reasons.

altho' my guess is that Yuri is only calculating the $$ bec of all the bills they still have to clear off before the family starts making real money. this is a practical decision for both sides.

i just hope that Maria's game is indeed where it needs to be at this point in time. i was NOT impressed by her and Max last night -- she still has a lot to learn about playing doubles.

the cat
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Yes TC, Maria does have alot to learn about playing doubles. And singles. I think Maurecio Hadad will end up working with an up and coming men's tennis player now. And I'm glad he stayed with Maria as her travelling coach through the U.S. Open. He seems like a class act.