PDA

View Full Version : US Open 1989

GoDominique
Sep 6th, 2004, 11:30 AM
That's the first US Open I can remember. :) 15 years ago. :scared: :help:

Great tournament. The 2nd German double in a row. Steffi :worship: Boris :worship:

Some interesting scores:

1st round

Graf def. Inoue 6-3 6-1 :eek: (almost scandalous that Steffi lost 3 games in the first set :o)
White def. Frazier 6-2 6-1
Martinez ef. Birch 6-3 6-2
Cueto def. Raymond 6-4 7-5 (those three are still playing)
Neiland def. Shriver 6-2 6-3 :o
White-Prausa def. MJ Fernandez 6-4 6-3 :o

2nd round

M. Maleeva-Fragniere def. Cueto 5-7 6-3 5-3 ret. :sad: (Isabel Cueto had a bad injury (or cramps?) in the 3rd set. She went down on the court and couldn't get up again, but I think no one helped her, and the umpire kept giving her code violations :rolleyes: )

4th round

Sabatini def. Martinez 6-1 6-1
Evert def. Seles 6-0 6-2 :eek:

QF

Graf def. Sukova 6-1 6-1 (Steffi lost only 14 games en route to the SF :o)
Sabatini def. Sanchez-Vicario 3-6 6-4 6-1
Garrison def. Evert 7-6 6-2 (Chris' last tour match, but it was Zina who cried after the match because she was the one who put Chris into retirement :lol: )
Navratilova def. Manuela-Fragniere 6-0 6-0 :o (funny because they played again in 1990, and Manuela won :eek: )

SF

Graf def. Sabatini 3-6 6-4 6-2 (Steffi was down 3-6 0-3 I think but came back. In the 3rd set she had severe cramps so that she couldn't even sit down at changeovers.)
Navratilova def. Garrison 7-6 6-2

F

Graf def. Navratilova 3-6 7-5 6-1 (Steffi was again 3-6 2-4 down :eek: )

On the men's side:
Boris Becker down 0-2 sets in the 2nd round against Rostagno. Saved 2 MP's, one of them with a net-cord. Beat Lendl in the final. :D

fluffydreamcloud
Sep 6th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Zina cried?!?! Aww, that's too cute :p

WOW, two great comebacks by Steffi :)

KV
Sep 6th, 2004, 11:40 AM
In these days men's tennis was more attractive. Faster courts better return passing shots. More natural vollyers, more court variety, In men's tennis why the fast courts were slowed down can't understand from Adam. With the fast courts of old you'd have less overranked players. In men's tennis players like Stich/Becker/Edberg/Leconte/Mecir etc are totally missed.