PDA

View Full Version : Seles' Last Grand Slam Match

LADIEZ CHAMPION
Sep 6th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Here's a match report taken from a sports news achive on Seles' last Grand Slam match before the stabbing....

Triumphant Seles slams Graf errors
Australian Open Finals 1993
(Filed: 31/01/1993)

Monica Seles ruthlessly punished Steffi Graf for missed opportunities in Melbourne, yesterday, and went on to win the seventh of the last eight Grand Slam tournaments in which she has played.

In an Australian Open final worthy of the occasion, but which had an increasing air of inevitability about it once Seles started to move ahead in the second set, the world No 1 beat the world No 2 player 4-6, 6-3, 6-2, in one hour and 49 minutes.

There were spells, before she crumpled in the middle of the final set, when Graf played to the absolute limit of her known ability. But it was still not enough to break the spirit or the steely resolve of a champion who some are already saying is the strongest women's champion of all time.

Graf, while too disappointed to appreciate how much she had contributed to a splendid final, especially the sustained high quality of the first two sets, did not need any prompting to explain why Seles had matched her own Australian Open record - and that of Evonne Goolagong - by winning this first Grand Slam event of the year for a third consecutive time.

'There were times in the second set when I wasn't aggressive enough, especially by not going for her second serve. And though there were many times when I pushed her out wide during rallies, I never came in enough to try and take advantage of that,' she said.

This was particularly so in the tense early stages of the third set when the Seles grunt, which had hardly been noticeable in the first set, started to reflect the added stress which was developing as everyone sensed that the first breakthrough would be decisive.

Serving at 2-3, 30-0, there was a classic example of Graf's repeated and disastrous reluctance to volley. Three times she unleashed ferocious forehands which had Seles running from side to side and should have been an open invitation for the German to go to the net.

She declined each time and, as often happened, was eventually beaten on a marvellous Seles return.

Indeed, Graf, who used a most unladylike German term to express her feelings, went on to lose the game -and also a chance to break back in the next when Seles, who had earlier produced one delivery which equalled the women's fastest of the week at 108mph, struck a devastating ace.

Margaret Court, who won seven consecutive Australian titles in amateur days, before 1968, and four more later, was among those who watched admiringly as Seles, despite losing the first set because of one loose game, played with such tenacity -and, often on her service returns, such ferocity.

The 39-minute first set was a treat. Both players were superb, as Graf surprisingly attacked Seles' forehand more than usual, and Seles, as ever, pummelled Graf's backhand.

Graf broke for 3-1 but was then broken back in the next game, after being unfort- unate with a baseline call which made the difference between her being 15-30 and 0-40, but in the 10th game, taking her cue from a double fault to 15-40 by Seles, she attacked the next serve well enough to snatch the set.

Graf appeared to have the rough side of another, even more crucial, call, which would have given her three break points as she fought to regain an early loss of serve in the second set. But she did not offer it as an excuse.

On the evidence of this tournament, it is difficult to see anyone taking over from Seles as the dominant force in women's tennis for some time.

Although Seles dismisses the belief that she and Graf are constantly pushing one another to improve, she now strikes the ball with greater power than anyone else in the women's game and simply refuses to be beaten.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on the 12 biggest events between the end of 1990 and the early part of 1993 there was nothing whatsoever which would suggest that undisputed world number one Monica Seles was not going to continue her dominance over women's tennis going forward.

After successfully defending and winning her 3rd consecutive Australian Open crown early that year (1993), she was in the best position and overwhelming favorite to defend her French Open crown after winning it Three consecutive times (1990, 1991, 1992) and was the defending champion at the US Open championships where she won twice in row( 1991, 1992). She was also a finalist at the 1992 Wimbledon Championships.

There was nothing in the first 4 months of 1993 that suggested that world number one Seles was about to lose her strangelhold of the women's tour. Nothing whatsoever....

Then the unspeakable cowardly evil act of terrorism was perpetrated by a pschotic german fan against Seles, who was barely 19 years old at the time of the horrifying attack.

Seles was stabbed between the shoulder blades, and though the wound itself kept her out of competition for only a couple of months, the emotional trauma prevented her from returning for years.

After returning in August 1995, she won one Grand Slam title and though she was a mainstay of the world's top 10, her role was relegated to that of a supporting player to the likes of the Williams sisters, Jennifer Capriati and Lindsay Davenport.

As for the evil assailant, he got his wish and remained a free man. The injustice against Seles still continues up to this day. :angel:

"I think about how much I lost in that one day"

Monica Seles

Calimero377
Sep 6th, 2004, 09:29 PM
... was a 4-6, 0-6 against tennis giant Petrova.

jimbo mack
Sep 6th, 2004, 09:32 PM
then better strikers like lindsay and serena came along :tape:

and steffi improved to her best level again in 95 and 96 after her slump in parts of 93 and 94 :tape:

JenDavenportfan
Sep 6th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Monica lost twice to Petrova in Rome & in the 1st round in paris last year she is unranked now of course

steffilover
Sep 6th, 2004, 10:54 PM
can we keep threads like these in the Blast From The Past section?:rolleyes:

USOPEN10000
Sep 7th, 2004, 01:33 AM
... was a 4-6, 0-6 against tennis giant Petrova.

Who can can ever forget the trashing and humiliation Grand Slam Defeat of Graf by Bumble Bee Sanchez Vicario at the 1991 French Open Semis 6-0, 6-2. :tape: :tape: :tape: :tape: :tape: :tape:

How about the straight setter TROUNCING of Graf by the Wimbledon Legend Lori Mc Neil on the 1st round of 1994 Wimbledon. Graf made double history by becoming the 1st ever GS defending champ to ever been humiliated and ousted on the the very 1st round of a Grand Slam and Wimbledon. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

At least when the Great Monica lost to Petrova, she was no longer the player she once was because of the stabbing by a Graf fan psychopath. :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

GOLDEN PARCHE IS INDEED THE GREATEST......according to Parche :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

USOPEN10000
Sep 7th, 2004, 01:38 AM
then better strikers like lindsay and serena came along :tape:

and steffi improved to her best level again in 95 and 96 after her slump in parts of 93 and 94 :tape:

WELL, I GUESS IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE BEST COMBINATION IN THE HISTORY OF WOMEN'S TENNIS BETWEEN THE LEGENDARY GUNTHER PARCHE :tape: AND STEFFI GRAF.. :lol: :tape: :tape: :tape: :tape: :tape:

WORLD NUMBER ONE MONICA SELES STEAMROLLED AND TROUNCED SECOND FIDDLE STEFFI GRAF AT THE HEIGHT OF THEIR RIVALRY WINNING 8 SLAMS TO GRAF'S 2. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

USOPEN10000
Sep 7th, 2004, 01:41 AM
Monica lost twice to Petrova in Rome & in the 1st round in paris last year she is unranked now of course

jendavenportfan is actually calimero.. :lol: :lol: :lol: Gunther Jr. can ran but he cannot hide. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MONICA SELES, GREATEST FEMALE TENNIS PLAYER EVER :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

LDVTennis
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:02 AM
Who can can ever forget the trashing and humiliation Grand Slam Defeat of Graf by Bumble Bee Sanchez Vicario at the 1991 French Open Semis 6-0, 6-2. :tape: :tape: :tape: :tape: :tape: :tape:

How about the straight setter TROUNCING of Graf by the Wimbledon Legend Lori Mc Neil on the 1st round of 1994 Wimbledon. Graf made double history by becoming the 1st ever GS defending champ to ever been humiliated and ousted on the the very 1st round of a Grand Slam and Wimbledon. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

At least when the Great Monica lost to Petrova, she was no longer the player she once was because of the stabbing by a Graf fan psychopath. :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

GOLDEN PARCHE IS INDEED THE GREATEST......according to Parche :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Again, what you and most Seles fans lack is any sense of perspective.

Let's say I was a Seles fan. Quite a stretch, but I'm willing to pretend if you are. Would I as a Seles fan be touting the thrashing and humiliation of any other player in a grand slam match, knowing full well that my own favorite (Seles) had suffered her own fair share of humilating defeats in Grand Slam matches, including a 6-2 6-1 thrashing at Wimbledon in the '92 final?

Furthermore, as the hypothetical Seles fan that I am, would I even venture to criticize someone who has won Wimbledon (7 times) for losing a first round match, knowing full well that my own favorite (Seles) only reached one Wimbledon final, didn't win it, and has never reached another final since?

Moreover, would I, as a hypothetical Seles fan, feel just a little bit silly about trying to explain away the last loss in a grand slam match by my favorite (Seles) with events that happened more than 10 years ago, all the while knowing that the fans of the other player I mentioned in a disparaging manner don't need any excuses to explain why their favorite lost her last grand slam match? Because if you are a Graf fan there is no shame in Steffi getting to the final of her last grand slam, especially when she managed to play a very close match. And, because there is no shame in Graf getting to the final of her second to the last grand slam and winning the tournament.

But, I guess there is more than enough shame to go around if you not only lose to a second-tier player in your last grand slam match, but you also fail to win the most prestigious grand slam of them all, Wimbledon. Because if Seles had actually won Wimbledon after she came back, if she had reached the final in her last grand slam played, and if there were no shame in the way Seles has performed since she came back, then you would probably have better things to talk about. But, you don't. So, here we are. How shameful is that!

LADIEZ CHAMPION
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:36 AM
Again, what you and most Seles fans lack is any sense of perspective.

Let's say I was a Seles fan. Quite a stretch, but I'm willing to pretend if you are. Would I as a Seles fan be touting the thrashing and humiliation of any other play in a grand slam match, knowing full well that my own favorite (Seles) had suffered her own fair share of humilating defeats in Grand Slam matches, including a 6-2 6-1 thrashing at Wimbledon in the '92 final?

Furthermore, as the hypothetical Seles fan that I am, would I even venture to criticize someone who has won Wimbledon (7 times) for losing a first round match, knowing full well that my own favorite (Seles) only reached one Wimbledon final, didn't win it, and has never reached another final there?

Moreover, would I, as a hypothetical Seles fan, feel just a little silly about trying to explain away the last loss in a grand slam match by my favorite (Seles) with events that happened more than 10 years ago, all the while knowing that the fans of the other player I mentioned in a disparaging manner don't need any excuses to explain why their favorite lost her last grand slam match? Because if you are a Graf fan there is no shame in Steffi getting to the final of her last grand slam, especially when she managed to play a close match. And, because there is no shame in Graf getting to the final of her second to the last grand slam and winning the tournament. But, I guess there is more than enough shame to go around if you not only lose to a second-tier player in your last grand slam match and if in your entire career you never even managed to win Wimbledon. Because if Seles had actually won Wimbledon after she came back, if she had reached the final in her last grand slam played, and if there were no shame in the way Seles has performed since she came back, then you would probably have other things to talk about. How shameful is that!

Nothing shameful about the TRUTH... :angel:

A player who is claimed by some Graf fanatics to be the best of of ALL time does not have to rely on the #1 ranked player in the world (who is just a tennager and #1 for consecutive years while winning 9 of the 11 biggest events in the sport over a period of more than 2 years) being stabbed in the back with a knife.

The Monica Seles incident in Hamburg, Germany at the end of April in 1993 -- especially when you take into consideration how dominant the young teenage Seles was in the months November 1990 through April 1993 -- SEALS it that Graf was not the best of all time.

Graf was in the middle of her career in the early 1990s -- and yet Seles as a teenager was the one ranked #1 and the one winning 9 of those 11 biggest titles between November 1990 and January 1993 -- and this, within itself, eliminates Graf from consideration as the top woman tennis player of all time.

Navratilova in her mid 30s (turned 34 in 1990 .. turned 35 in 1991 .. turned 36 in 1992 .. and turned 37 in 1993) had a winning record vs. Graf in the 1990s prior to the stabbing of Monica Seles in April 1993, including the only match Navratilova and Graf played against each other in a Grand Slam singles match during the 1990s.

Steffi was almost 18 years of age before she was able to win back to back matches against Navratilova for the first time. Of course, Navratilova was over 30 years of age by then.

The first time that Graf was able to win MORE than just 2 matches consecutively vs. Navratilova was when Graf was over 19 years of age and when Navratilova was close to the age Andre Agassi is now.

STILL .. Navratilova in her mid to upper 30s had a winning record vs. Graf in the years 1990-1993, including Martina winning the only match between the 2 at a Grand Slam event during the 1990s.

Seles, of course, as a top ranked teen phenom in the years 1990 through 1993, had a winning record vs. Graf as well before a jealous Steffi Graf fan stabbed Seles in the back with a knife.

1989 Brighton International (Brighton) Final 7-5, 6-4 Steffi Graf
1989 Roland Garros (Paris) Semifinal 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 Steffi Graf
1989 Wimbledon (London) 4th round 6-0, 6-1 Steffi Graf

***Monica made her professional debut in 1989 at 15 years of age where she lost all of her matches 0-3 against then world number one Steffi Graf who made her professional debut in 1983 and was four (4) years older than Seles.***

***But from 1990-1993( before the stabbing), Monica Seles took over the top ranking has 4-3 advantage against Graf in head to head match-ups and was 3-1 in Grand Slam Finals against Graf who had fallen to a consistent number two.***

1990 Lufthansa Cup (Berlin) Final 6-4, 6-3 Monica Seles
1990 Roland Garros (Paris) Final 7-6, 6-4 Monica Seles
1991 Citizen Cup (Hambourg) Final 7-5, 6-7 (4-7), 6-3 Steffi Graf
1991 Women's Hardcourt Champs (San Antonio) Final 6-4, 6-3 Steffi Graf
1992 Roland Garros (Paris) Final 6-2, 3-6, 10-8 Monica Seles
1992 Wimbledon (London) Final 6-2, 6-1 Steffi Graf
1993 Australian Open (Melbourne) Final 4-6, 6-3, 6-2 Monica Seles

***Monica Seles also won her very last match against second ranked Graf at the Finals of the 1993 Australian Open***

Based on the 12 biggest events between the end of 1990 and the early part of 1993 there was nothing whatsoever which would suggest that undisputed world number one Monica Seles was not going to continue her dominance over women's tennis going forward.

No way Steffi Graf is the best woman tennis player in tennis history when you consider the truth of Steffi Graf, Martina Navratilova and Monica Seles in the years 1990-1993. Far from it...Not even close....

Now... that's what we call shameful.... :angel:
__________________________________________________ ___________

I just haven't quite figured out how to beat her"..........

------Steffi Graf.......
after her loss to Monica Seles at the Australian Open Finals, 1993.......

Steffi Graf's Career in a Nutshell.......

Gunther Parche
and WEAK Competition once Seles was gone.

JenDavenportfan
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:11 PM
OMG You Seles freaks are almost as bad as Venus & Serena's fans I like Seles myself but she cant compare to Steffi
Steffi graf according to Evert & Billie Jean King the best ever period :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :worship: :worship: :worship: :) :) :) :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :angel: :angel: :angel:

USOPEN10000
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:16 PM
OMG You Seles freaks are almost as bad as Venus & Serena's fans I like Seles myself but she cant compare to Steffi
Steffi graf according to Evert & Billie Jean King the best ever period :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :worship: :worship: :worship: :) :) :) :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :angel: :angel: :angel:

OMG, CALIMERO IS HIDING UNDER ANOTHER SCREENAME.....SAME OLD RABID GRAFIAN DOG BUT WITH A DIFFERENT "SCREENNAME" THIS TIME. :lol: :lol:

THE GRAF PSYCHOPATHS IN THIS BOARD ARE THE "WORST" AND THE "LOWEST OF THE LOW" OF ALL THE FANS IN THIS BOARD.

STEFFI GRAF WAS A GOOD PLAYER ( AS GOOD AS ARANTXA SANCHEZ VICARIO :tape: ) BUT MONICA SELES WAS MORE SUPERIOR BOTH ON AND OFF THE COURT. :worship: :worship: :worship:

JenDavenportfan
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:26 PM
enough said..Steffi#1 of all time period :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :) :) :) :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

JenDavenportfan
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:27 PM
calimero? hmmmm ok usopen1000 is actually mentally retarded :)

USOPEN10000
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:31 PM
enough said..Steffi#1 of all time period :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :) :) :) :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

I just haven't quite figured out how to beat her"..........

------Steffi Graf.......
after her loss to Monica Seles at the Australian Open Finals, 1993.......

Steffi Graf's Career in a Nutshell.......

Gunther Parche :lol:
and WEAK Competition once Seles was gone.

STEFFI WAS NEVER THE BEST!!! :lol: :lol: MONICA SELES TROUNCED STEFFI GRAF AT THE HEIGHT OF THEIR RIVALRY WINNING 8 SLAMS TO GRAF'S 2. :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

SWP
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:32 PM
I've got to say, the amount of grand slams seles won as a TEENAGER is simply AMAZING.

USOPEN10000
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:33 PM
calimero? hmmmm ok usopen1000 is actually mentally retarded :)

GUYS DONT BE FOOLED BY THIS PSYCHO, JENDAVEPORTFAN IS NOT REALLY A CAPRIATI OR DAVENPORT FAN BUT A GRAF LUNATIC FAN LURKING IN THIS BOARD!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: HE IS NO OTHER THAN CALIMERO. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LADIEZ CHAMPION
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:35 PM
GUYS DONT BE FOOLED BY THIS PSYCHO, JENDAVEPORTFAN IS NOT REALLY A CAPRIATI OR DAVENPORT FAN BUT A GRAF LUNATIC FAN LURKING IN THIS BOARD!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: HE IS NO OTHER THAN CALIMERO. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

usopen10000, stop it. don't go down to their level. i know a lot of graf fans who are fair and balanced and really knows the truth on the Seles-Graf saga...

there's always some bad rotten apples: Calimero who has multiple screenames-- should have been banned a long time ago from this board. :angel:

Calimero377
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:32 PM
[QUOTE=USOPEN10000]Who can can ever forget the trashing and humiliation Grand Slam Defeat of Graf by Bumble Bee Sanchez Vicario at the 1991 French Open Semis 6-0, 6-2. :tape: :tape: :tape: :tape: :tape: :tape:

At least when the Great Monica lost to Petrova, she was no longer the player she once was because of the stabbing by a Graf fan psychopath. ... [/QUOTE

Oops, did Parche castrate Monica or what?
Or did the 1-cm cut cause Monica to balloon?

:lol: :lol:

(Sorry, Moni ..... but it's your retarded fans .... )

Calimero377
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:35 PM
I've got to say, the amount of grand slams seles won as a TEENAGER is simply AMAZING.

But the lack of success after her return is amazing too!
Comparable to Austin, Hingis & V. Williams.
A blip on the radar screen ....

Kart
Sep 7th, 2004, 10:23 PM
I wasn't aware that Seles had played her last grand slam match yet.

R&J
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:01 AM
Thanks for posting that article LADIEZ CHAMPION. :wavey:

LADIEZ CHAMPION
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:02 AM
But the lack of success after her return is amazing too!
Comparable to Austin, Hingis & V. Williams.
A blip on the radar screen ....

guess you more prouder on the highly questionable success of the beneficiary of the stabbing of Seles? obviously. how funny. :angel: