PDA

View Full Version : What is it about Maria Sharapova I don't like?

Volcana
Sep 6th, 2004, 03:55 AM
I don't honestly know. It isn't a deep dislike. But certainly I was rooting for Mary Pierce, who, other than the fact that I always like seeing an old vet play well, means very little to me.

I like Zvonareva, who's also blonde and Russian. On the other hand, I don't like Dementieva at all. (Maybe it's cause Zvonareva has the active Volcano thing goin' on.:)) Sharapova certainly deserved to win Wimbledon. She was vastly the better player that day. She isn't nearly as arrogant as Kournikova, and she has much more reason to BE arrogant. It isn't all the hype. Venus Williams was hyped since she was four, and I love Venus. It's not the onslaught of magazine covers and commercials. There hasn't BEEN an onslaught of commercials and magazine covers. (And if you want to be tired of ubiquity, please make Serena go away. TV, magazines, commercials, sit-coms, talk-shows, enough! Don't get me wrong, I LIKE Serena well enough. But there are other really fine athletes in the WTA. give 'em some freakin' air time.)

Back to Sharapova. She's poised, for a seventeen year old. She's well-spoken. She's pretty, but she's not so beautiful you want to strangle her. (Actually, once she fills out a little, she'll be pretty built.) Her game isn't exactly diverse, but outside of Mauresmo and Schnyder, nobody really uses all the shots all the time. She can really smack it, and when she's swinging free and easy, she can REALLY smack it.

Well, maybe she'll grow on me. I didn't like Hingis, and the last year of her career I found myself spending more and more time defending her.

Sure is wierd.

AjdeNate!
Sep 6th, 2004, 03:58 AM
Maybe you just have ovainaava-itis? :shrug:

Stamp Paid
Sep 6th, 2004, 03:59 AM
Is it because she killed Serena in the Wimbledon final?

Thats why I root for her opponents, honestly. I loved her until July 4, 2004. http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/sobbing.gif

Philbo
Sep 6th, 2004, 04:00 AM
It is weird how your feelings change with players..

ive been rooting for Venus and Serena heaps more since they lost their invincibility... I couldnt stand Hingis early on and warmed to her before she finished up..

bw2082
Sep 6th, 2004, 04:04 AM
I know what it is. She comes off as cold and distant even though she makes efforts not to. That's not a rub against her. Some people are just like that.

Volcana
Sep 6th, 2004, 04:06 AM
Is it because she killed Serena in the Wimbledon final?
Are you kidding? After all the times Serena beat Venus in finals!?!? The only thing that worried me about her winning that match was having to endure a repeat of Kournikova-itis in every fat middle-aged white guy in America. Once that didn't happen, i was fine with it. To be honest, I was hoping Venus was taking notes.

Berlin_Calling
Sep 6th, 2004, 04:06 AM
It is weird how your feelings change with players..

ive been rooting for Venus and Serena heaps more since they lost their invincibility... I couldnt stand Hingis early on and warmed to her before she finished up..
It's kind of like rooting for the underdog. I couldn't stand Serena when she was dominating but these days, I root for her sometimes. The cold hard truth is that I didn't like Serena because she was too good and therefore, would beat my favs all the time, lol.

decemberlove
Sep 6th, 2004, 04:11 AM
i don't like the way she's marketed. it makes her look like she has the personality of cardboard.

esquímaux
Sep 6th, 2004, 04:15 AM
I believe people despies successful people. Once an individual makes it to the top (sort to speak), others can't wait to declare them cocky and look for ways to take pockshots at them. Typical crabs-in-a-barrel mentality, nothing new.

WF4EVER
Sep 6th, 2004, 04:21 AM
She takes up too much of the airtime and almost all of the commentary time. It's not like she's the only player out there. Reality check for the slobberers.

esquímaux
Sep 6th, 2004, 04:24 AM
Maria can't help that, take that up with the broadcasters.

clonesheep
Sep 6th, 2004, 04:30 AM
Her game isn't exactly diverse, but outside of Mauresmo and Schnyder, nobody really uses all the shots all the time.

You forgot Justine, who is a true all-courter. Serena can do all the tricks as well, but she just prefers the power game. There're many other all-around players. Daniela is another example.

Becool
Sep 6th, 2004, 04:35 AM
I don't like her because she seems for me all produced.. She was so boring in Wimbledon.. I mean, I didn't like her reaction.. Serena was much more emotioned than her who won her first grand slam.. You can see everyone's reaction when winning her first slam, and neither of them is comparable to Sharapova's.... I don't know how to explain it.. She was too annoying.. For me she's all artificial.. I don't think that what we see is what she really is.. For me, she has no personality

Dan23
Sep 6th, 2004, 04:44 AM
Correct :yeah:
Maria aint responsible for the hype, the blame for that goes to her management and the media :p

Thats why I root for her opponents, honestly. I loved her until July 4, 2004. :sobbing:
Nice of you to admit it :)
This is the basis of a number of members hate for Maria..

Greenout
Sep 6th, 2004, 04:49 AM
I don't like her because she seems for me all produced.. She was so boring in Wimbledon.. I mean, I didn't like her reaction.. Serena was much more emotioned than her who won her first grand slam.. You can see everyone's reaction when winning her first slam, and neither of them is comparable to Sharapova's.... I don't know how to explain it.. She was too annoying.. For me she's all artificial.. I don't think that what we see is what she really is.. For me, she has no personality

Like a Stepford Tennis player.

decemberlove
Sep 6th, 2004, 05:08 AM
haaa, yeah. that's what i was getting at in my post.

Hawk
Sep 6th, 2004, 05:18 AM
I don't like her cause everywhere I turn I have to hear about her. Whenever I hear people heaping love and praise upon a player I seem to instictivly dislike them :p American coverage can be really bad for that :rolleyes:

If I liked them before they got the spotlight then it's cool but otherwise...Poor Maria didn't stand a chance :o

Fingon
Sep 6th, 2004, 05:21 AM
then what would you say about Myskina? that didn't even celebrate at all?

Volcana
Sep 6th, 2004, 05:27 AM
You forgot Justine, who is a true all-courter. Serena can do all the tricks as well, but she just prefers the power game. There're many other all-around players. Daniela is another example.I think Justine lives from the baseline and on power, unless she has to. She just has more weapons than most when she gets to 'have to'. Amelie's back problems forced her to actually HAVE to use an all-court game. Nothing against Justine, but I've seen her win matches without ever bothering to leave the baseline. She actually stronger than most of the tour, small as she is. (Somewhere, Rosie Casals is smiling.)

And Patty Schnyder is probably the single most talented player on the tour. If by 'talent', you only mean the physical. (IMHO) she completely stopped believing she had any chance against Serena. The announcers were down on her effort, but she WAS trying. But I know from experience. When you stop believing there's any way you CAN win things change. She had a look in her eyes that I've seen in oppponents in matches. She believed, (IMHO) that no mater what she did, it wouldn't work. If it was chess, she would have tipped her king over.

I Love Sharapova
Sep 6th, 2004, 06:03 AM
I am a big Sharapova fan;I personally do not see anything wrong with her personality at all.I think she is a sweetheart.
However, with that being said, I do think she is being marketed kind of badly. She sort of,at times, seems to be uneasy with all of the attention she receives.
I have noticed one thing that kinda bugs me about Sharapova, whenever she messes up on the court she will flick back her hair and sort of roll her eyes like it's someone in the crowds fault that she messed up. To be honest, I don't even think she realizes she is doing it, or at least she doesn't realize what the appearance is. That is one of the things you may be picking up on,Volcana, that causes you not to be too crazy about her. I don't know.
Most likely,barring any critical mishap, I will support Sharapova until she gives up the tennis game; however,I do notice a couple of her nuances that could be irritating to some people.

harloo
Sep 6th, 2004, 06:19 AM
And if you want to be tired of ubiquity, please make Serena go away.

No suprise, because after the success of Serena at the expense of the Queen most Venus only fans wanted to see Serena erased. LOL:lol:

I don't know about Sharapova. I don't think she has much personality, but she is the new WTA Pin Up Girl and looks decent enough. She's tall, young, and is fresh meat for the WTA heads to promote as the desirable bombshell in tennis.

The WTA has always been seeking that type of stardom. A good looking authethic blond that has the ability to win a tournament. While I think Maria is rather average looking she is good for the game of tennis. Her game is one dimensional but she will surely fill seats up and that's a good thing for the sport.

However I do feel the hype is too much at this point. Tracy has even jumped on the bandwagon, and Mary Jo just loves her Maria a little bit too much.:tape: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Diesel
Sep 6th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Eh, I don't like her father, I hate the cell phone on the court crap - it's not cute. I don't think she's gracious enough, I don't like how she's marketed based on her looks and a certain ideal of beauty when so far her match play haven't backed up any of the talk. Her interviews suck. I don't hate her, I just don't like her and haven't found one reason to.

Greenout
Sep 6th, 2004, 07:45 AM
It's the media fawning, same with Roger. Whatever good things they
have is over shadowed by the massive suck ups.

Case in point. Andy is shoved down everyone's throat in the USA; but
not the country where I live. So, I find myself liking Andy more over
Roger, despite the WIMBLEDON champ being the obvious superior talent.

The tennis media never use to be this partisan back in the 1990's.
It just seems desperate at times, and I miss the more neutral times
before the internet.

RatedR Superstar
Sep 6th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Eh, I don't like her father, I hate the cell phone on the court crap - it's not cute. I don't think she's gracious enough, I don't like how she's marketed based on her looks and a certain ideal of beauty when so far her match play haven't backed up any of the talk. Her interviews suck. I don't hate her, I just don't like her and haven't found one reason to.

I feel the same way, I dont know if she's trying to be cute with her cell fone, I think in the NFL they fined players for doing that...and her grunting is really annoying....

Lemonskin.
Sep 6th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Do we honestly need more threads about hating Maria? It's so tiresome. Christ, get over it.

saki
Sep 6th, 2004, 11:33 AM
The giggle irritates me. Yes, it's petty, and I certainly don't hate her for it, but it bugs me.

WF4EVER
Sep 6th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Absolutely, but I can't wait to see her go because of it.

t_fan
Sep 6th, 2004, 11:56 AM
If you really want to find a reason, go to a good psychiatrist/psychologist. Chances are you won't like the findings.

ali
Sep 6th, 2004, 12:13 PM
I don't honestly know. It isn't a deep dislike. But certainly I was rooting for Mary Pierce, who, other than the fact that I always like seeing an old vet play well, means very little to me.

I like Zvonareva, who's also blonde and Russian. On the other hand, I don't like Dementieva at all. (Maybe it's cause Zvonareva has the active Volcano thing goin' on.:)) Sharapova certainly deserved to win Wimbledon. She was vastly the better player that day. She isn't nearly as arrogant as Kournikova, and she has much more reason to BE arrogant. It isn't all the hype. Venus Williams was hyped since she was four, and I love Venus. It's not the onslaught of magazine covers and commercials. There hasn't BEEN an onslaught of commercials and magazine covers. (And if you want to be tired of ubiquity, please make Serena go away. TV, magazines, commercials, sit-coms, talk-shows, enough! Don't get me wrong, I LIKE Serena well enough. But there are other really fine athletes in the WTA. give 'em some freakin' air time.)

Back to Sharapova. She's poised, for a seventeen year old. She's well-spoken. She's pretty, but she's not so beautiful you want to strangle her. (Actually, once she fills out a little, she'll be pretty built.) Her game isn't exactly diverse, but outside of Mauresmo and Schnyder, nobody really uses all the shots all the time. She can really smack it, and when she's swinging free and easy, she can REALLY smack it.

Well, maybe she'll grow on me. I didn't like Hingis, and the last year of her career I found myself spending more and more time defending her.

Sure is wierd.
Great post and not just another bashing thread. I know what you mean but I guess there are just certain players that for some reason you like and others that you don't.

I asked a similar thing about Amelie Mauresmo in her forum - the difference being that I really want to like the way she plays but for some reason just can't!

Anyway, back to the topic :o ;)

I was so impressed with Maria at Wimbledon, just her confidence and never say die attitude, and she did absolutely demolish Serena in the final which was unexpected. But there's something about her that does seem a bit contrived - maybe its the hype, maybe its all the PR stuff behind the scenes but something about her doesn't seem that natural. I guess maybe our own expectations of how a 17 year old should/would have reacted to winning the biggest tournament in the world are clouding our judgement. She seems very controlled and sure of herself which should be a good thing.

If the bashing and dislike of her continues though I reckon more and more of us will start defending her! I found myself cheering for her in the first two rounds because I didn't want to see her beaten so early in the tournament and face the inevitable bashing on here! I also had a feeling in my bones that Mary would win so didn't want her knocked out before the third round ;)

mykarma
Sep 6th, 2004, 12:29 PM
I am a big Sharapova fan;I personally do not see anything wrong with her personality at all.I think she is a sweetheart.
However, with that being said, I do think she is being marketed kind of badly. She sort of,at times, seems to be uneasy with all of the attention she receives.
I have noticed one thing that kinda bugs me about Sharapova, whenever she messes up on the court she will flick back her hair and sort of roll her eyes like it's someone in the crowds fault that she messed up. To be honest, I don't even think she realizes she is doing it, or at least she doesn't realize what the appearance is. That is one of the things you may be picking up on,Volcana, that causes you not to be too crazy about her. I don't know.
Most likely,barring any critical mishap, I will support Sharapova until she gives up the tennis game; however,I do notice a couple of her nuances that could be irritating to some people.What a wonderful post from a fan. It's difficult for most people to see or admit their fav faults.
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Martian Willow
Sep 6th, 2004, 12:45 PM

...the funny thing is, when I first saw her on Trans World Sport a few years ago, when she was 14 or something, what I liked about her was that she didn't seem like that at all...she was a bit strange and quite funny...it's only really in the last year she's started to seem a bit too polished...but I still think it's the people around her more than Maria herself who make it seem like that... :)

spokenword73
Sep 6th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Winning Wimbledon at such a young age was probably the worst thing that could have happened to Maria. Now she is a target before she has had a chance to really develop.

Geri
Sep 6th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Volcana I felt the same way about Serena for a while mainly because she was totally dominating, as I certainly enjoy her matches now and wanted her to beat Maria at Wimbledon, but when I said that here about a year and a half ago that I didn't like her that much it was not long before the word 'racism' was used and I got 2 reputations telling me the same. Racism was never the case for me but I couldn't really explain why. The same for Patty Schnyder - I really don't like her and unlike Serena I do not think I will ever like her! I don't know why, there's just something about her I don't like.

sartrista7
Sep 6th, 2004, 12:55 PM
She believed, (IMHO) that no mater what she did, it wouldn't work. If it was chess, she would have tipped her king over.

She said as much in the interview afterwards... this is why I cannot be bothered to be a Patty fan. Love watching her play, and will generally cheer her on, but there's no point having any emotional investment in her matches.

As for Sharapova... the reason I still support her is mainly because I was on the bandwagon first. I saw her play Junior Wimbledon in 2002, and it was pretty obvious she was something special then. I found her reactions at Wimbledon very endearing - and it helped that she beat Lindsay and Serena, two players I find incredibly boring. The marketing, the subsequent media fawning and some of her idiot fans here have made me a less fervent fan... especially some who feel they need to put down all the other Russians, most of whom I like better than Sharapova, in order to big their girl up. But I'll always hope she does well.

But, you know, Golovin was the other girl who stood out to me at Junior Wimbledon '02... and she's much more captivating, game-wise and personality-wise. I said back then that a Golovin v Sharapova rivalry at the very top of the game was not inconceivable in the future... if it happens, I'm in Tati's corner all the way.

JonBcn
Sep 6th, 2004, 12:58 PM
So you're a Tati fan but not a Patty fan? ;)

sartrista7
Sep 6th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Yes!

I love Patty, she amuses me and her game is fabulous. But I cannot be arsed with being emotionally involved in her matches.

JonBcn
Sep 6th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Was it you that told me about her dedicating a victory to her dead cat? Thats marvellous.

sartrista7
Sep 6th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Yeah, when she won Pattaya in... whatever year it was. Not the year she was Tier III Queen, she was relatively sane then.

oddkayla
Sep 6th, 2004, 02:07 PM
The Hype! God, they dont even talk about the #1 player like they do about that kid. Now everyone wants to do well against her. Its now almost like it useed to be with Anna, when players rooted against her because they were tired of hearing about her all the time!

i tell you it cant be good for the kid!

tennischick
Sep 6th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Like a Stepford Tennis player.:worship: :worship: you hit the nail on the head. i've been trying for some time to figure out a way to describe this quality in Maria. thank you.

i don't dislike Maria for this, i dislike the people who have programmed her. it's sad to watch her interviews -- she's not even there, she's too busy spewing out the script in her own head. i find it very sad bec she is so young.

if i were a fanatical Williams fans i would probably dislike Maria for having clearly and decisively stolen their thunder. she gets the major slice of media attention now. Serena has made herself a laughing-stock with those outfits and Venus has been dismissable for sometime now. Maria is the media darling and her loss to Pierce will not change that. on the contrary there is a lot of sympathy for her that maybe she's pushing herself too hard. the poor girl is a tennis (and money-making) machine.

xan
Sep 6th, 2004, 02:44 PM
:worship: :worship: you hit the nail on the head. i've been trying for some time to figure out a way to describe this quality in Maria. thank you.

i don't dislike Maria for this, i dislike the people who have programmed her. it's sad to watch her interviews -- she's not even there, she's too busy spewing out the script in her own head. i find it very sad bec she is so young.
I think Maria's interviews (most available at Mariaworld.net) are one of the most likeable things about her. She is very mature, honest about her game and her attitudes, and gets irritated when people keep asking the same questions all the time.

And of course she can't win on this one. If she went around saying she could beat anyone, complaining about her draw, dissing her opponents, or saying that she only lost because she was playing at 9%, then the same people would be using those "interesting" interviews to diss her all the more.

cheesestix
Sep 6th, 2004, 02:47 PM
I don't like how she's marketed based on her looks and a certain ideal of beauty when so far her match play haven't backed up any of the talk.

Yeah, she only won Wimbledon, easily defeating Serena in the final. :rolleyes:

Bright Red
Sep 6th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Personally, I like Maria a lot but that's not the subject of this thread. It's about your feelings towards her. And while you're obviously unclear on where you stand, I think I have an idea.

First, let's take Maria. She really hasn't done anything wrong so far. For example, she hasn't made immature comments like some of the other top players made as teenagers. She doesn't cuss and shout at the crowd, nor take swipes at other players. She plays well enough to deserve the attention she gets--and she doesn't go around trying to create demand for herself. Disliking her would almost seem to be irrational.

Second, let's take what you say about her in your post above. You never outright say that you dislike her. And most of what you do say about her is positive.

So my take on your situation is this. We all know that being a fan takes a lot out of us. We're placed on a rollercoaster ride of emotions throughout their careers. We search for articles and latest news on them. We must deal with the conflict of who to root for when one fave plays another. It's an investment.

I'd say you're kicking the tires on Maria. It's sort of like being in a personal relationship. We start noticing every little thing about a person (and even the slightest of things bother us) just before we fall in love. And in your case, just before you realize that you are a fan. It's only natural to scrutinize someone before making such an emotional investment.

vettipooh
Sep 6th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Like a Stepford Tennis player.:lol: That's a classic analysis!! My reasons are that she seems so manufactured.Too serious on court. never seems like she is having any fun out there. no smiles,just urgency, like her whole life depends on her winning the match!!!

htm
Sep 6th, 2004, 04:33 PM
I use to like Maria than the Media and her fans sort of messed it all up with the consistant talk about how she is the greatess of all time and she the best thing that ever happen to tennis. It was amazing all the things that the WS haters dislike in them they love in Maria. It just showed how racist all ways show there true colors when a descent white player come along. Now I can careless about her. I'm a huge tennis fan but I have to say when it comes to Maria I'm no fan of hers at all.

Edward.
Sep 6th, 2004, 04:49 PM
I think Maria's interviews (most available at Mariaworld.net) are one of the most likeable things about her. She is very mature, honest about her game and her attitudes, and gets irritated when people keep asking the same questions all the time.

And of course she can't win on this one. If she went around saying she could beat anyone, complaining about her draw, dissing her opponents, or saying that she only lost because she was playing at 9%, then the same people would be using those "interesting" interviews to diss her all the more.

Amen.

decemberlove
Sep 6th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Personally, I like Maria a lot but that's not the subject of this thread. It's about your feelings towards her. And while you're obviously unclear on where you stand, I think I have an idea.

First, let's take Maria. She really hasn't done anything wrong so far. For example, she hasn't made immature comments like some of the other top players made as teenagers. She doesn't cuss and shout at the crowd, nor take swipes at other players. She plays well enough to deserve the attention she gets--and she doesn't go around trying to create demand for herself. Disliking her would almost seem to be irrational.

Second, let's take what you say about her in your post above. You never outright say that you dislike her. And most of what you do say about her is positive.

So my take on your situation is this. We all know that being a fan takes a lot out of us. We're placed on a rollercoaster ride of emotions throughout their careers. We search for articles and latest news on them. We must deal with the conflict of who to root for when one fave plays another. It's an investment.

I'd say you're kicking the tires on Maria. It's sort of like being in a personal relationship. We start noticing every little thing about a person (and even the slightest of things bother us) just before we fall in love. And in your case, just before you realize that you are a fan. It's only natural to scrutinize someone before making such an emotional investment.
i've never known anyone to get nitpicky BEFORE they fall in love. it is usually towards the end of the relationship, when the inital spark of love and attractive has faded away, that people find idiosyncrasies to be annoying. :)

Volcana
Sep 6th, 2004, 05:49 PM
I'd say you're kicking the tires on Maria.You may be onto something there. Then again, there IS something to the 'Stepford tennis player' thing. I'n not sure I've ever seen her ENJOY playing tennis. It's not as bad as Venus in 2000, where she never changed expression on the court no mater what. It's a little like Capriati, where her main motivation seems to be fear of her family being disappointed in her. It's NOT that. I don't know what it is. If I could rip winners like that I'd remember to enjoy it.

bandabou
Sep 6th, 2004, 06:31 PM

She beat Lindsay and 5 other players too...and Serena still did better than all but one player at wimbledon. Not bad...too bad that she lost, but thatīs life.

Here she is: another qf..whatīs Maria done since?!

AjdeNate!
Sep 6th, 2004, 06:34 PM
She beat Lindsay and 5 other players too...and Serena still did better than all but one player at wimbledon. Not bad...too bad that she lost, but thatīs life.

Some modelling, and a Motorola ad, and um.... Oh you meant tennis. :p

Just jokes!

cheesestix
Sep 6th, 2004, 06:38 PM

Who's knocking Serena? :rolleyes: Nobody said Maria is better than Serena! :mad: So why do you feel the need to compare the 2? :rolleyes:

The guy said that Maria is all hype because of looks and that she hasn't done anything tennis-wise. And I said that she won Wimbledon, which is a big accomplishment. And she beat Serena, the defending (2-time) champion....easily. That just makes it that more valid.

Nobody's taking anything away from Serena, so get your over-sensitive over-defensive head out of your ass! Geez! :rolleyes:

BTW, had I left Serena's name out of it, and mentioned Lindsay instead, you would have taken THAT as a slight. :rolleyes: Damned if you do, damned if you don't. :rolleyes:

bandabou
Sep 6th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Who's knocking Serena? :rolleyes: Nobody said Maria is better than Serena! :mad:

The guy said that Maria is all hype because of looks and that she hasn't done anything tennis-wise. And I said that she won Wimbledon, which is a big accomplishment. And she beat Serena, the defending (2-time) champion....easily. That just makes it that more valid.

Nobody's taking anything away from Serena, so get your over-sensitive over-defensive head out of your ass! Geez! :rolleyes:

BTW, had I left Serena's name out of it, and mentioned Lindsay instead, you would have taken THAT as a slight. :rolleyes: Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Keep up, will ya?

aaah....no, just that we were clear. Go ahead and enjoy the discussion..

cheesestix
Sep 6th, 2004, 06:44 PM
aaah....no, just that we were clear. Go ahead and enjoy the discussion..

huh? :confused:

Like I said, get your over-sensitive over-defensive head out of your ass. :rolleyes:

Warrior
Sep 6th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Anyone on WTA could be disliked, if she takes away the spotlight from your favourite player.

cheesestix
Sep 6th, 2004, 06:54 PM
I use to like Maria than the Media and her fans sort of messed it all up with the consistant talk about how she is the greatess of all time and she the best thing that ever happen to tennis.

Gee, that doesn't sound anything at all like the WS. :rolleyes:

It was amazing all the things that the WS haters dislike in them they love in Maria.

And it's amazing that all of the things that Maria haters dislike in Maria, they love in WS, isn't it? :lol:

bandabou
Sep 6th, 2004, 06:56 PM
huh? :confused:

Like I said, get your over-sensitive over-defensive head out of your ass. :rolleyes:

I donīt need to get nothing out of my ass. Uīve a history of taking shots at the sisters. Now this time you said: she only beat Serena at wimbledon. NO, she didnīt beat just Serena at Wimbledon, she beat EVERYBODY else too.

And if you included Lindsay, I wouldnīt have minded at all....

The thread was about Maria, no?! Why bring up Serena in it?!

ali
Sep 6th, 2004, 07:13 PM
I donīt need to get nothing out of my ass. Uīve a history of taking shots at the sisters. Now this time you said: she only beat Serena at wimbledon. NO, she didnīt beat just Serena at Wimbledon, she beat EVERYBODY else too.

Serena is brought up in the discussion because Maria beat her to win Wimbledon. That's one of the reasons her victory was all the more spectacular, unexpected and got Maria the praise she did. You should take it as a compliment - beating Serena is a huge achievement for anyone, and is generally considered a huge upset because she is still regarded as the best player out there (by fans, commentators and players).

Serena can't win every match she plays, nobody can (not even the great Steffi!) but when she is beaten fans of the player that have defeated her will want to talk about it. Again, this is a compliment. A win against Serena is still probably the biggest win a player can have. Had Maria won Wimbledon beating a handful of top players, but NOT Serena/Venus/Justine/Kim her achievement would still have been remarkable. But by beating (an admitedly below par) Serena, the defending champion and hot favourite for the title, her win was even more spectacular.

Again, you should see this as a compliment.

Bright Red
Sep 6th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Well I hope Maria gets a new fan in you, Volcana.

LOL @ the "Stepford" comment.

cheesestix
Sep 6th, 2004, 07:19 PM

Bullshit. Get your head out of your ass and read!

I said:

Yeah, she only won Wimbledon, easily defeating Serena in the final.

Why would I say that she "beat just Serena"? That wouldn't make sense anyway. :rolleyes:

That's not what I said.

I said:

BTW, had I left Serena's name out of it, and mentioned Lindsay instead, you would have taken THAT as a slight.

I said "instead", not "included". Because you took offense to me mentioning Serena's name.

It wasn't a slight. It was actually a compliment (indirectly), since Serena was the defending champion and the one to beat.

Like I said, had I not mentioned Serena's name (so as to not offend the likes of you) and mentioned Lindsay instead, you would have bitched about me not mentioning Serena (not giving her credit). Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Hmmmm, maybe because she was the defending (2-time) champion that Maria beat? :rolleyes:

Dude, like I said, get your head out of your ass and learn to read! Quit being so damn sensitive. NOT EVERYTHING is about (against) your precious WS sisters. Get over it.

bandabou
Sep 6th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Serena is brought up in the discussion because Maria beat her to win Wimbledon. That's one of the reasons her victory was all the more spectacular, unexpected and got Maria the praise she did. You should take it as a compliment - beating Serena is a huge achievement for anyone, and is generally considered a huge upset because she is still regarded as the best player out there (by fans, commentators and players).

Serena can't win every match she plays, nobody can (not even the great Steffi!) but when she is beaten fans of the player that have defeated her will want to talk about it. Again, this is a compliment. A win against Serena is still probably the biggest win a player can have. Had Maria won Wimbledon beating a handful of top players, but NOT Serena/Venus/Justine/Kim her achievement would still have been remarkable. But by beating (an admitedly below par) Serena, the defending champion and hot favourite for the title, her win was even more spectacular.

Aah, like that....o.k., cool.

cheesestix
Sep 6th, 2004, 07:24 PM

THANK YOU! That's EXACTLY what I'm saying! :worship:

Furthermore, had Maria NOT played a WS, then a lot of WS fans would be saying how it wasn't legit because she didn't beat any top players.

Unfortunately, you still have people out there who say that Maria hasn't accomplished anything in tennis. The fact that she beat Serena further solidifies that (and needs mentioning)! And unfortunately you can't mention Serena's name without someone (like bandabou) taking it as a slight. :rolleyes:

bandabou
Sep 6th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Bullshit. Get your head out of your ass and read!

I said:

Yeah, she only won Wimbledon, easily defeating Serena in the final. [/QUOTE]

Why would I say that she "beat just Serena"? That wouldn't make sense anyway. :rolleyes:

That's not what I said.

I said:

I said "instead", not "included". Because you took offense to me mentioning Serena's name.

It wasn't a slight. It was actually a compliment (indirectly), since Serena was the defending champion and the one to beat.

Like I said, had I not mentioned Serena's name (so as to not offend the likes you) and mentioned Lindsay instead, you would have bitched about me not mentioning Serena (not giving her credit). Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Hmmmm, maybe because she was the defending (2-time) champion that Maria beat? :rolleyes:

Dude, like I said, get your head out of your ass and learn to read! Quit being so damn sensitive. NOT EVERYTHING is about (against) your precious WS sisters. Get over it.[/QUOTE]

Fine...no problemo.

You keep saying: stop being sensitive, not everybody is against my precious WS and stuff. You mean there hasnīt been any reason at all, no events, that have made us Williams-fans sensitive?!

bmxbandit
Sep 6th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Not dissing Maria or anything...but Conchita won Wimbledon as well...was she ever as popular afterwards?

ali
Sep 6th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Not dissing Maria or anything...but Conchita won Wimbledon as well...was she ever as popular afterwards?
Ah yeah, but Conchita has a face like a slapped arse! ;) :D

I'm kidding, plaese guys I'm kidding! :cool:

bandabou
Sep 6th, 2004, 07:32 PM

Furthermore, had Maria NOT played a WS, then a lot of WS fans would be saying how it wasn't legit because she didn't beat any top players.

Unfortunately, you still have people out there who say that Maria hasn't accomplished anything in tennis. The fact that she beat Serena further solidifies that (and needs mentioning)! And unfortunately you can't mention Serena's name without someone (like bandabou) taking it as a slight. :rolleyes:

Not at all....it is when people start acting like Serenaīs done just because she lost this final to Maria, theeeeennnnn.....if it is seen as an achievement to beat Serena, then I donīt get why commentators and some fans act like Serena is done and hasnīt got anything left?!

darrinbaker00
Sep 6th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Could you be just a little more disingenous, please? Anyone who has read more than one of your posts knows that you meant to slam Serena and praise Maria simultaneously.
Whatever you say, Omniscient One..... :rolleyes:
Again, he took it that way because you meant it that way.

Denial in 5.....4.....3.....2.....1.....

cheesestix
Sep 6th, 2004, 07:33 PM

Maria was popular before she won Wimbledon. Winning Wimbledon just boosted her popularity.

Anna never won anything and she was just as popular as the WS, who were winning slams at the time.

"Popularity" isn't the point, anyway.

Some guy said that Maria hasn't accomplished anything tennis-wise. I said that's BS because she's already won Wimbledon, and she beat some top players to do it. I'd say that's an accomplishment, wouldn't you?

What does that have to do with "popularity" or "Conchita" though?

I'm not sure what you point is. :confused:

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Sep 6th, 2004, 07:34 PM

Sure is wierd.

Let me ask you a question... are you a female?

darrinbaker00
Sep 6th, 2004, 07:36 PM
No, but Conchita isn't blonde, blue-eyed and straight. ;)

Martian Willow
Sep 6th, 2004, 07:38 PM

...I've been thinking about this...and looking for an excuse to say it...but you beat me to it...thing is, when Maria won Wimbledon, a lot of Williams fans did complain that people were only excited about her because she beat Serena...whereas beating Serena just stopped people (wrongly) questioning the ligitimacy of her title...which is a compliment to Serena, in a way... :)

ali
Sep 6th, 2004, 07:39 PM

:) Unfortunately being a fan of a player brings out people's sensitive side. The amount of times I read the word "hater" etc on here is unbelievable. I'm a huge fan of Mary's but I think I can just about hold onto my sanity by admitting when she plays bad - just as I can get overexcited when she beats one of the top players.

Maria did something totally unexpected at Wimbledon and should be given full credit for that. The fact she beat Serena, like I said, made it even more special. Even if she never won another match, she'd still be a former Wimbledon champion and there are very few players who can say that.

The funny thing is, Maria's on court presence and game actually reminds me of a young Serena....but we won't go there! ;)

Bright Red
Sep 6th, 2004, 08:07 PM
i've never known anyone to get nitpicky BEFORE they fall in love. it is usually towards the end of the relationship, when the inital spark of love and attractive has faded away, that people find idiosyncrasies to be annoying. :)
While I wholeheartedly agree with you that people find idiosyncrasies more annoying once love fades, and that basically the bad outweighs the good, that's not the point I'm making.

When people are in relationships - particularly long-term ones, they already know most of the faults/idiosyncrasies of the other person. I'm talking about the discovery of those faults which happens much, much earlier in the relationship.

RatedR Superstar
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:14 AM
I just cant understand what I feel about Masha, some days I really hate her and some days I find my self defending her :confused:

starr
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:28 AM
I think everyone should have a lot of sympathy for Maria. She's in for a rough ride. It's tough to have great success before you are quite ready for it. Serena had a bit of a rough time after she won the U.S. Open for the first time.

And Maria's father looks just a little strange to me. I've thought so ever since I saw him at Wimbledon. Maybe he's A-OK, but I've got a funny feeling about him.

shannonannafan
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:32 AM
I think the reason I'm not a fan of Maria is because it makes me miss my Anna. Despite what the kid thinks I do see a lot of a young Anna inside of her and it just makes me sad. When (hoping) Anna comes back, I bet my feelings toward Maria will not be as negative. I might even add her to my favorite players list

t_fan
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:57 AM
:lol: That's a classic analysis!! My reasons are that she seems so manufactured.Too serious on court. never seems like she is having any fun out there. no smiles,just urgency, like her whole life depends on her winning the match!!!
That's a shallow analysis. If you bother to try to look deeper, get more info on her background, you'd won't think she's manufactured. Not every teenager is as exposed to the public eye as she is. Different people deal differently with it. Many great people are not very comfortable dealing with media, so they find their ways to do it. Nobody's perfect. What you see is the way she handles it, and it's not bad IMO. BTW, did you see her mixed doubles match?

t_fan
Sep 7th, 2004, 10:27 AM
...So my take on your situation is this. We all know that being a fan takes a lot out of us. We're placed on a rollercoaster ride of emotions throughout their careers. We search for articles and latest news on them. We must deal with the conflict of who to root for when one fave plays another. It's an investment.

I'd say it's natural for a somewhat defensive personality with bad experiences in the past. Some part of unconscious is just afraid to be emotionally attached and hence nitpicking comes. Most of the times it doesn't prevent anything :)