PDA

View Full Version : Where should the WTA tour champoinships be held?

Benny
Mar 12th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Where should they be held? I think In Sydney:bounce:

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:30 AM
In my back garden ;)

Bероника
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:38 AM
In Spain.Lol.JUst kidding,i know this is almost impossible to happen.
Anywhere except Munich or Germany.

gentenaire
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:40 AM
It would be nice if it was held at a different place every year and I'd rather see it in a country that doesn't have a grand slam.

carot
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Belgium ;)

Williams Rulez
Mar 12th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Tokyo! :D :bounce:

Or Sydney!! :bounce:

Kart
Mar 12th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Much as I would like it to be in London, I accept that's wishful thinking.

It would be nice if they put it in Spain though - I always think they don't seem to get much credit for the number of high class players they produce.

Plus it would be on clay, which is always amusing to see the top players struggle on :).

Monica_Rules
Mar 12th, 2002, 10:12 AM
I think USA back to MSG it was great there such a good atmosphere!:bounce: :D

gokimmie
Mar 12th, 2002, 12:01 PM
In Belgium of course!!!!

per4ever
Mar 12th, 2002, 12:09 PM
I think the USA has already enough big tournaments. I would like it to change country every year, like Tine said, and in countries without a Grand Slam. AND in a country where tennis is very popular..

BELGIUM!!!!!!!!!!!!! We had the tourni in Antwerp for the first time and it was already the tourni with mosts spectators of all indoortournaments. I think if the Championships would be organised here...you get a full place for each match :D

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Mar 12th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Aside from Russia, the USA dominates the top 100 when it comes to actual players inside the top 100.

And as for the top 16, USA is by far ahead of the other nations.....with only France coming close.

We have lost SO many tournaments over the years, it is saddening - such as Houston, Philadelphia, Chicago, etc.

So, I would love to see the Chase come back to NY and add an entire indoor US Season :) Move all the European tournaments to after the Australian Open! :)

rightous
Mar 12th, 2002, 12:37 PM
So not Ireland then;)

-Sonic-
Mar 12th, 2002, 01:53 PM
I wouldn't give it to Spain if last year's fed cup was anything to go by.

I'm prob being a grouch but i wouldn't go to sydney for one or two matches then go home.... for me that could be well over 50 hours on a plane. i guess its similar times for other europeans.

Vanity
Mar 12th, 2002, 02:14 PM
I thought it was perfectly fine in New York where it was many years before the relocation. As you can tell, the move to Munich was not a good one. The tournament just didn't get the exposure or the turn out that it got in New York.

RayRob
Mar 12th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Even though I wouldn't be able to have the pleasure to go, I would love for it to go back to MSG because it had such a great atmosphere - people were there to enjoy the tennis!

:wavey:

kazbeee
Mar 12th, 2002, 02:35 PM
I think the new commonweath stadium in Manchester should be taken off Manchester City Football Club and made into a Tennis centre therefore being big enough to house the Championships

And then maybe the Final can be in TBE's back garden if I get front row tickets

Iconoclast
Mar 12th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Either in a significant non-Slam country, or in the US. But, preferably, not in New York or on the East Coast.

The most significant non-Slam countries are Russia, Spain, and Germany. Japan could be considered as well to achieve more globality.

Tokyo already has two events leading up to the Championships. One of those would likely need to be dropped or transformed. Moscow hosts the Kremlin Cup just a month prior. Same drill would be required.

And Spain; is there a suitable indoor arena?

Hamburg and Berlin are already on the Tour. Munich, in fact, is a very good idea on paper. Just didn't work out well enough last year. Let's see if there's improvement.

California has Indian Wells - among other events - which I would regard higher than the Championships. When the top players show up, that is. Florida - doing fine as it is.

I say Texas. Or maybe Chicago.

Come to think of it, do we even need this tournament? With four Slams, it's almost like having four world championships each year.

Few sports can muster that.

Benny
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:28 PM
USA has too much tournaments IMO. Australia only has 5 WTA tournaments:(:( USA has heeps more. For 1 year atleast I would like to see it in Sydney:)

Frau Antje
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:35 PM
somewhere in Germany

Jessica02
Mar 12th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Somewhere where the time difference is similar to GMT.

Barrie_Dude
Mar 12th, 2002, 08:20 PM
The Big Apple! The City So Nice, They Named It Twice!

New York, New York!

BelgianGirl
Mar 12th, 2002, 08:30 PM
I agree with per4ever: it would be great to have it organised here in Belgium! :D
The diamond games in Antwerp really was a big success, so I'm sure the WTAtour championships would be fantastic here! (and offcourse because I would be able to go and watch it live! ;) )

saby
Mar 12th, 2002, 08:58 PM
Let's give a chance to another country !!:bounce:

Germany, nobody were there :eek: same as Spain and Russia, (fed cup :fiery: ).

France, Australia, England, America have already a slam.

Why don't they try Belgium, Italy, Japan, Canada.......

:angel: :angel: :angel: