PDA

View Full Version : Vera's worrying behavior...

canuckfan
Sep 6th, 2004, 12:34 AM
Most of us on this board keep talking about Vera's bad habit of crying all the time. It might be childish but it's nothing compared to her habit of hitting herself with her racket! When I saw her in Montreal I was surprised to see her hitting herself quite hard on the head and on her feet. :scared: Have you ever seen another player punishing himself(herself) like this? If she continues she'll break a bone in her foot or she'll have some kind of contusion.

Vera's my favorite player since I saw her in Paris last year. At first I thought that she was very entertaining when she was going psycho on court and it was good because it showed that she wanted it very bad. But the more I see her play, the more I think that her behevior is very unhealthy and abnormal.

I really hope that her entourage is working on this because she's an amazing player and she could accomplish so much in tennis. It would be a waste if her strange comportement keeps her from rising to the top.

Anyway, good luck for the indoor season Bepa :clap2:

GoDominique
Sep 6th, 2004, 12:39 AM
That's indeed a bit freaky. :scared: :retard:

*kaz*
Sep 6th, 2004, 12:43 AM
I see lots of players hit themselves with rackets but Vera uses alot more force. She'll hurt herself one day.

PointBlank
Sep 6th, 2004, 12:47 AM
Vera does have her little crazy moments yes,but sometimes in a way they help her out. Her opponents think shell go crazy if she goes down(which she does) like in Memphis down 5-0 and Lisa thought she had it so she just tapped it over which let Vera back in and Vera saved 1 match point to take the match 7-5 in the third. But I am afraid shell hurt herself one day :p

Chris_G
Sep 6th, 2004, 12:54 AM
Vera sure is something. Two years ago at the Open, I saw her spend an entire changeover stomping her feet, crying into a towel, and slamming the towel down. I understand that behavior in a situation like the epic match she played against Myskina this summer, but this was at 3-2 in the opening set of a first round match against Gagliardi! It's amazing how well she's able to play through the meltdowns.

ali
Sep 6th, 2004, 01:01 AM
I agree too, but think the crying is just as bad for her. The way she reacted today whilst leading was just crazy. How anyone can keep their concentration when they are literally sobbing their eyes out is beyond me. Surely her coach has tried to work on this area of her game :confused: . The commentators today (who admittedly didn't seem to know that much about her :rolleyes: ) were so concerned they thought she must have had some personal upset in her life before the match. It was almost embarrassing to watch.

I didn't see her hit herself on the head, but did see her wallop herself on her foot a few times. If she gets an injury doing that she should get a stern talking to by her coach. It really is hard to watch a player self destruct like that - and after playing so well too :confused:

fammmmedspin
Sep 6th, 2004, 02:34 AM
Problem with wacking yourself on the front of the head is that you could damage the stress control centres which in turn would make you emotional, make you cry a lot and might make you wack yourself on the head.........

BK4ever
Sep 6th, 2004, 02:45 AM
I saw this match and I was DISGUSTED...at the end it I yelled out...VERA IF YOY DONT STOP BEING A EMOTIONAL BASKET CASE I'M DONE BEING YOUR FAN...I've had it...she totally threw away the match.

tennischick
Sep 6th, 2004, 02:47 AM
El Ayanoui once busted his forehead with his racket and started to bleed right there on court. talk about being hard on yourself.

MinnyGophers
Sep 6th, 2004, 03:29 AM
I knew a girl in my school badminton team ( she was the captain) who hit herself when she lost a point with her racket. She hit the side of her leg, and it left red marks. Dang, people don't need to hurt themselves, that's not gonna change the way the match is going, especially if you end up injuring yourself.

fammmmedspin
Sep 6th, 2004, 03:31 AM
Maybe she'll knock some sense into her head with that racquet.
Not recommended. you bruise the frontal lobes and you start them malfunctiong - they send out instructions for more stress hormones that damages the stress control system more and produces more hormones........

Melly Flew Us
Sep 6th, 2004, 10:08 AM
i don't know if she's sick in the head, but she needs to fix up and fast.

sarza
Sep 6th, 2004, 10:29 AM
im sorry but i still think shes sweet :) although i do admit sometimes it can get a little worrying

maccardel
Sep 6th, 2004, 10:29 AM
I don't know but this is sounding like some freak show these russians are bringing to the game. I mean imagine a doubles match with Myskina and Zvonareva and they are both going through it; then imagine Nadia and her situation(not diagnosed) then Elena D and her serve; wow!!! what a freak show. I don't think it would be a good choice to go to kremlin cup without first taking a couple shots of vodka, cos you would swear there was something in the water.

Lemonskin.
Sep 6th, 2004, 10:38 AM
In Russia, I think Vodka IS the water :p

Daniel
Sep 6th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Vera :hug: :smooch:

veryborednow
Sep 6th, 2004, 12:01 PM
The commentators today (who admittedly didn't seem to know that much about her :rolleyes: ) were so concerned they thought she must have had some personal upset in her life before the match. It was almost embarrassing to watch.Don't you feel that the male commentator embarrassed himself because he clearly didn't have a clue who Vera was. Sky's commentators have been really really really bad this time around, they seem to think that an American accent will cover up the sheer lack of knowledge they have.

ali
Sep 6th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Don't you feel that the male commentator embarrassed himself because he clearly didn't have a clue who Vera was. Sky's commentators have been really really really bad this time around, they seem to think that an American accent will cover up the sheer lack of knowledge they have.
Very true, the commentary from Sky has been awful. The guy obviously didn't know who Vera was but I wondered if her tantrum on court was indeed worse than usual :confused:

It annoys me so much to hear people talking about the game who clearly have no idea about who is in form, who's been struggling lately, even who the majority of the players are! Even during the Golovin Williams match, they didn't seem to know who Tati was and were surprised to see her playing so well for someone so young.

Almost makes you want to listen to Sam Smith/Jo Durie instead :eek: ;)

GoSandrine
Sep 6th, 2004, 01:28 PM
It's been two years but I saw Vera behave very badly when Francesca stormed back from a 5-0 deficit in the second set to force a third at RG. Hopefully she's matured some during that time but apparently not.

poundcat
Sep 6th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Marat Safin has bashed himself on several occasions, the most notable in AO 2002...I think it's a combination of Russian passion, expectation for oneself, and being a perfectionist. The crying from Vera yesterday might also have had somehting to do with the terrorist horror in Russia yesterday, (more than 350 children were murdered and the 2 other terrorist incidents this week.

Gowza
Sep 6th, 2004, 01:38 PM
about hitting herself in the head with her racquet, i'd be more worried about the strings cutting her and needing stitches rather than a concussion.

Fantastic
Sep 6th, 2004, 02:55 PM
The terrorist attack in Russia is much bigger than any tennis match. If Vera cared more about that, she wouldn't be carrying on like a sad duck out there on the court. She'd realize it was just a match and finish it without much fuss.

I could definitely understand her emotions if the match was tight when she started hitting herself and crying, or if it was an important match in the latter stages of a tournament, but if she's acting like a brat (and let's face it, only spoiled children cry when not getting what they want) during routine, early round matches and still winning them, I'd start to wonder if her emotions are being overspent and even possibly misplaced. Imagine how much energy she could save herself without exploding into tears every match. I also say her emotions are possibly misplaced because surely she realizes that it is just a tennis match and that it is more effective to be calm and focused than self-destructive and out of sorts.

Ted of Teds Tennis
Sep 6th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Maybe Vera should try swearing at her coach like Myskina does. :D

!<blocparty>!
Sep 6th, 2004, 03:25 PM
She is kinda insane, she is such an amazing player, her strokes are amazing, and her serve improvement......... :eek:

I must admit before seeing her this summer, I thought she was a kinda average player, but her stokes really are amazing.

But CRYING when LEADING is just MAD :retard: She has some issues that need dealing with.