PDA

View Full Version : Serena v Jennifer, who will advance?

spokenword73
Sep 5th, 2004, 09:51 PM
I say Serena in straights, 7-5, 6-4:)

tennisiscool
Sep 5th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Serena 3-6 6-2 7-5

*kaz*
Sep 5th, 2004, 09:52 PM
I'm a Jen fan so really want Jen to win but I have to say Serena in 3 sets.

volta
Sep 5th, 2004, 09:53 PM
if Serena cuts the EU and serves like she served today Serena is gonna win fo sure.

SJW
Sep 5th, 2004, 09:54 PM
hopefully Serena.

Zhao
Sep 5th, 2004, 09:56 PM
u never know when u r having a poor serve day...

Jenn in 3 :yeah:

grmbl
Sep 5th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Jenny!

WF4EVER
Sep 5th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Serena most likely

deminator
Sep 5th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Serena 6-0 6-0

Andrew.
Sep 5th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Serena 6-2 6-4

clonesheep
Sep 5th, 2004, 10:05 PM
I think Serena will advance easily. The challenges she faced in early rounds will motivate her to pull herself together and do her best.

K-Dog
Sep 5th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Well, I predicted last year that they would meet here. In my score, Serena beat Jen 6-4 2-6 6-4 with Serena leting Jen back into the match at 4-2 in the third before Serena broke back to win.

Chunchun
Sep 5th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Serena 64 64?

heartBREAKeRS
Sep 5th, 2004, 10:19 PM
uuhh serena duhh

Crazy_Fool
Sep 5th, 2004, 10:22 PM
From what i have seen so far from both players, i would say Capriati is playing much better off the ground. Serena's serve is working amazing, but her groundshots are really not all that. I really think Capriati can win this match, as long as she turns up and doesn't let the media affect her :rolleyes:

bobcat
Sep 5th, 2004, 10:28 PM
I give the edge to Serena because of the serve. Today she served the best that I have seen her all year. Seren'as like Pete Sampras. When she's serving well she can beat anyone.

Kabezya
Sep 5th, 2004, 10:31 PM
I prefer Serena.

AjdeNate!
Sep 5th, 2004, 10:36 PM
Jeffiner in 2

lolo7
Sep 5th, 2004, 10:41 PM
I really hate to say this because Serena is truly my favorite player but I think Serena is going to lose to Cap. The only time Serena was tested was when she played Golivan. Golivan could have won the match but didn't because of inexperience. Have you seen Serena when she is hitting in the long rallies? Golivan was really hanging in there with Serena in the rallies. I don't know if you notice but Serena's foot work is slow and and she looks sluggish. Jennifer hits the balls more cleanly and will slugg it out against Serena. Serena can't stay in the long rallies, the balls always go into the net. Serena has not been playing that great her serves are saving her in these matches. For Serena to win she better serve like she did today against Patty and try to break Jennifer's serve.

cartmancop
Sep 5th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Serena 7-6 6-3

wongqks
Sep 5th, 2004, 10:45 PM
serena, the wimbledon breakdown will still be hanging and Serena seems to be back in form just in time

Kart
Sep 5th, 2004, 10:45 PM
I saw little of JenCap's match but most of Serena's. Off the ground, JenCap looks more solid.

Serena is going to have to step it up - I believe she can win but on what I saw, it's not going to be a repeat of Wimbledon this year.

Unless of course, there's too much hype and the pressure gets to JenCap :p.

VeNuS#1LoVa
Sep 5th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Serena 6-4,5-7,6-2.

Keith
Sep 5th, 2004, 10:56 PM
I'm a Jen fan, but I can't see Jen winning if she plays any bit like she did in the first set against Sugiyama. Jen was very attackable today and although she did play some really nice points en route to winning, she is not playing like she was one year ago. Of course anything can happen when these two play, but I just don't think that Serena is going to lose unless she makes a lot of unforced errors. Jen is very consistent and Serena will hit many UE's, but Jen has to step up her game if she wants to win. At this point, I think Serena. I want Jen to win, but I don't see that happening.

lolo7
Sep 5th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Capriarti's groundstrokes are better than Serena's. When someone is putting pressure on Serena in rallies she gets tight out there and nervous.

martirogi
Sep 5th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Serena is gonna win in straights.

Stefwhit
Jenn has been playing more solid off the ground, but Serena has been playing the big points better- which is why she hasn't lost a set in the tournament. I think if Serena can clean up her game and have a good serving day she'll win comfortably. With that said, if Serena has a slow start in any of the sets Jenn will hang tuff and cash in on opportunity. If JCap has a slow start it is over for her. I wouldn't be surprised by any eventual scoreline with either one of them winning- With these two anything is possible.

croat123
jen

bandabou
Sep 5th, 2004, 11:19 PM
I think most people nailed it...Serena has to step it up in the rallies. The serve will always be there, but she needs to clean up and be willing to have looooooooooooonnnngggg rallies. Jen doesn´t miss, it´s amazing. I think Serena will win, but it won´t be easy.

G1Player2
Sep 5th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Like bandabou said, everyone has nailed it...Serena must be willing to take it the distance in rallies...

Jen is INCREDIBLE at getting balls back in the court and she WILL go the distance in these rallies...Serena should not make them too short or it will be long day at the office...

Tratree
Sep 5th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Jen in three.

Julia_08
Sep 6th, 2004, 04:29 AM
im not a fan of Serena and not a fan of Jennifer(but i like when she is soooooo pissed hahahhaaha) but i say and would love that Jen win... because im tired of the ugly fashion of Serena and her snob attitude

lolo7
Sep 6th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Capriarti's stradegy is simple like she did at the Frence Open, even though its a different surface, keep the ball in play and watch Serena self destruct with loads of unforced errors. Serena always hits the ball into the net. I don't understand why she doesn't work on this. When her game is off she gets nervous and tight out there and her whole game breaks down including hitting those serves which is the most important part of her game, that happened at Wimbledon during the finals.

DEETHELICK
Sep 6th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Jen will engage Serena in longer rallies and also be able to match her pace. It will be three sets. And I think Jen will prevail :)

VW#1
Sep 6th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Like everyone said this match is going 3 sets. I think this match is really a toss up. It depends on several different variables. Basically it comes down to can Serena be consistent enough to play her game against Jennifer. What usually happens is Serena isn't patient in the first set and she makes tons of unforced errors and then cleans up her act over the next two sets. I don't think she will be able too, I think Jennifer will win something like 6-2, 4-6, 6-3.

*abby*
Sep 6th, 2004, 09:03 AM
jenny in 3 long hard sets

general_wta_fan
Sep 6th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Hi everyone. I'm new, and I'm just glad to be able to here.

Anyways I feel that Serena will win; something like 6-4, 6-4

tennnisfannn
Sep 6th, 2004, 09:08 AM
From what i have seen so far from both players, i would say Capriati is playing much better off the ground. Serena's serve is working amazing, but her groundshots are really not all that. I really think Capriati can win this match, as long as she turns up and doesn't let the media affect her :rolleyes:when it comes to these two girls, throw out whatever form they had coming into the tourny, it doesn't work like that. That match up always takes on a life of its own and disregarding the wimby result, it is always a close match with a point here or there making the difference in the end.

Lindsita
Sep 6th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Jenny! No matter in how many sets. ;)

azmad_88
Sep 6th, 2004, 12:11 PM
its kinda funny to hear that this is their 3rd consucutive grand slam QF meeting..
roland garros , wimbledon and now Us open...
its tied at 1-1..but this one..i think capriati will pull this one her side..after fighting so hard..im betting on the roland garros winner of this match and on Elena vs Amelie's match...which is the 2 lower seedings player against their opponents...

bandabou
Sep 6th, 2004, 12:23 PM
wow..almost a grand slam of meetings at the majors.

El.Norberto
Sep 6th, 2004, 12:28 PM
jen in two! :)

azmad_88
Sep 6th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Jennifer in 2 hours and 20 minutes match!

Task
Sep 6th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Serena

best best better
Sep 6th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Jennifer looks more solid and consistent up to this point. For her sake I hope she's learned the lesson of not letting the whole "Serena V Jen" thing get to her. If she's able to play loose I think she'll win. Having said that, we all know that Serena WILL step it up when she has to, it's all about how much.

I go Jennifer in 3. :yeah:

K-Dog
Sep 6th, 2004, 01:58 PM
This match is looking like Roland Garros for me. Amelie and Elena play with Amelie having some pressure to become no.1, and now Serena vs. Jen. Same thing is happening with Serena that happened there. serena is winning her early rounds without losing a set, but Jen is struggling with 2 3-set wins and a 7-5 6-2 in the fourth round making it her best performance of the tourney (she beat Schiavone 7-5 6-1 at RG). Serena also has her best result of the tourney with a 6-4 6-2 win over Patty, just like when she beat Asagoe 6-3 6-1 in Paris in the fourth round. Serena is focusing on which outfit to wear and has many of them. In paris it started with the skirt, then hot pants, then dress, then skirt. Here at the U.S. it's been the denim skirt, hot pants, dress, and dress again because of how chilly it is. With the fact that Jenny hasn't played that well, but played well in her last round and Serena has been less than spectacular off the ground, fate might have it that Jen wins this. I don't know, I want Serena to win, but these similarlities struck me as i thought about it last night. Anyway good luck to both!

WF4EVER
Sep 6th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Somehow I don't consider Serena and Jen's matches to be about better play as much as it is about handling the nerves better, even tho Serena is playing much better IMO.

Last time I expected the usual competitiveness and got a washout. Please a competitive match again.

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Sep 6th, 2004, 02:03 PM
I think that Serena is going to blast Jennifer off the court again in straight sets... And then Jennifer is going to go into the press conference and cry and blame it on the media y she lost the match when it will be Serena who will dominate her... GO Serena!!

englishjenfan
Sep 6th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Jen In Whatever Num Of Sets!

bandabou
Sep 6th, 2004, 03:58 PM
This match is looking like Roland Garros for me. Amelie and Elena play with Amelie having some pressure to become no.1, and now Serena vs. Jen. Same thing is happening with Serena that happened there. serena is winning her early rounds without losing a set, but Jen is struggling with 2 3-set wins and a 7-5 6-2 in the fourth round making it her best performance of the tourney (she beat Schiavone 7-5 6-1 at RG). Serena also has her best result of the tourney with a 6-4 6-2 win over Patty, just like when she beat Asagoe 6-3 6-1 in Paris in the fourth round. Serena is focusing on which outfit to wear and has many of them. In paris it started with the skirt, then hot pants, then dress, then skirt. Here at the U.S. it's been the denim skirt, hot pants, dress, and dress again because of how chilly it is. With the fact that Jenny hasn't played that well, but played well in her last round and Serena has been less than spectacular off the ground, fate might have it that Jen wins this. I don't know, I want Serena to win, but these similarlities struck me as i thought about it last night. Anyway good luck to both!

We´ll see....I thing it was more about the surface, than really the dresses.

Knizzle
Sep 6th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Serena in 2.

cheo23
Sep 6th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Well Like I SAid..Serena is makin alot of UEs in the rallies...also Her Backhand return is goin Out all the time...I don't the SERVE will be a Factor...its the Rallies...so with that in Mind..J.Crap is playin a whole lot better..Didn't Richard Williams Say after SERena Thrashed J.Crap at Wimbledon that " the next time they Play J.Crap will Kill her". J.Crap in 3 Tough SEts...she usually wins the 1st Set in a Hurry except Wimbledon..J.Crap wins 6-3 6-7 6-4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

harloo
Sep 6th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Serena can serve better than Jen, and while Serena can rally well Jen is simply better when the points go long.

IMO Jen has not been impressive at all here, and Serena is making silly errors. I think it will depend on what Serena does rather than what Jen does. Serena is the one who is in control most of her matches. Jen's tactic will be to keep the rallies long and wait for Serena to make a silly error.

Serena needs to clean it up otherwise Jen in 3 sets.

JenDavenportfan
Sep 6th, 2004, 10:23 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :bounce: :bounce: :wavey: :wavey: :) :) :) Go Jenn serve well & move Serena around & fight hard & you'll beat her again!:)

Jeleno Benesovo
Sep 6th, 2004, 11:47 PM
I'd say Jennifer in 3 sets