PDA

View Full Version : Diana Srebrovic signs to play NCAA

Randy H
Sep 5th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Cavalier Women's Tennis Announces Five Newcomers

Four first-years and one transfer to join the program in 2004-05

Aug. 30, 2004

CHARLOTTESVILLE - Virginia women's tennis head coach Phil Rogers announced the five players who will be joining the program this season. The group includes four first-years, Diana Srebrovic (Oakville, Ont.), Jessica Morais (Lisbon, Portugal), Lindsey Pereira (Austin, Texas), and Rachel Del Priore (Buffalo, N.Y.), along with third-year Douglas Wink (Winston-Salem, N.C.), who transferred from the University of Georgia.

"I am extremely excited about the talent level and excellent depth of this recruiting class," said Rogers. "Any school in the country would be excited about this class and we are happy about having them here at Virginia. I am most excited and proud of the character and dedication to the team that all of these girls possess. We have really improved our doubles and every position is going to be very competitive."

Diana Srebrovic Worth Noting:
• 9 time Canadian National Champion
• Player at Junior US Open & Jr. Australian Open
• 3 Time Canadian Jr. Fed Cup Team squad member
• 2 Time Canadian Fed Cup Squad member

on error resume next plugin = ( IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5")))http://graphics.ocsn.com/ads/stubhub/cs-aug2004/bu_stub_300x250.gif (http://ads.fansonly.com/adclick/CID=000075e855d6882300000000/location=story/area=sports.wtennis.stories/site=cs/pos=story/adsize=300x250/acc_random=200409051754)

Rogers on Srebrovic: "Diana has had extensive international experience and brings a big time game that will be successful at any level. She has already proven that she can beat some of the best players in the world and I think she will really enjoy playing in the team environment."

Well, I have to say that I am a little bit sad because I hoped that Diana would go pro, but at this point she is still young and I am sure that playing in the NCAA will be a great opportunity for her to further her education (giving her something to fall back on), while still having the chance to play competitive tennis. She reached the top 300 for a little while, but she was only playing about 13-15 events a year. Unfortunately with being an amateur she was likely only receiving a small amount of funding from Tennis Canada to pay for the cost of travelling to a lot of these tournaments without being able to receive the prize money. When you are ranked around there, it must be a tough decision to decide whether it's best to take a gamble and try and go higher (in Diana's case, I definitely think she could have been into the top 200 at least), or whether it's best to make sure that education comes first and then think about going professional after. Hopefully she will still play some ITF events, and consider pursuing the pro circuit after her Collegiate tennis. :)

Good luck in the NCAA Diana :D

Sue Lyon
Sep 13th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Good for Diana!