PDA

View Full Version : why don't they promote the wta like they do atp?

moon
Mar 12th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Every time I see a Masters event, I see commercials promoting the men's game. (If I see that Penn tennis balls commercial one more time...lol.) But to my recollection I have yet to see one promoting the women. They have much bigger personalities and are much better known than the men. This is probably the best time for them to also promote some of the younger players.

What gives?

Crazy Canuck
Mar 12th, 2002, 05:59 AM
I have no idea as to why, but I've been wondering the same thing for ages and ages.

The ATP does a FFAARR better job, and secures far more sponser money fo their tournament, than does the women.

Yet everyone whines the mens game is in turmoil, and the womens is just getting better and better.

What gives? Wish I knew :(

rhz
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:11 AM
too bad isn't it, i hope this new guy could market WTA more, and prize money will increased and there would be more tournaments and tv coverage around the world!!!!!!!!

Scotso
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:12 AM
rhz got to the core of the problem in his post. the new GUY.

imo, they need woman in charge of the WOMEN'S tour. anything else is beyond stupid.

Vanity
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:13 AM
Unfortunately, most of the CEO's of the big sponsors for the ATP are male, and there is still that attitude out there that men are better than women. Sad, but true....

treufreund
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:25 AM
The WTA should move its headquarters to Belgium where maybe it would get promoted better. Seriously it is VERY DISAPPOINTING to never get to see any cool commercials with the ladies in it. :(

TeeRexx
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Certain issues still are present:

1. The ATP grosses more money than the WTA does.
2. Men are traditionally promoted more than women.
3. The men are better player than the women.
4. The women are infinitely more interesting than the current crop of male players.
5. The WTA is still pissed off at and determined not to promote two of its most dynamic players, SERENA and VENUS.
6. I think that a woman is head of the USTA and she has not made much more of a difference promoting women either.

jel-x
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Tennis magazine had a good point about this (which is a suprise because it's usually filled with mindless drivel), it was pointed out that the main tour sponsor, Sanex, has absolutely NO market in the USA. So they're not very motivated to do promotional things here in the states. Of course, that's not the only problem, but that's got to be one of them.

TeeRexx
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:10 AM
jel-x, good point.
I have never seen the products and I first thought that they made toilet bowl cleaners or something in that order. :eek: :wavey:

LucasArg
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:28 AM
I hope the new WTA CEO starts working hard, especially with TV coverage:rolleyes:

Williams Rulez
Mar 12th, 2002, 08:09 AM
It is very sad... I hope they do not let this opportunity pass them by :rolleyes: :sad:

LucasArg
Mar 12th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Scotso
rhz got to the core of the problem in his post. the new GUY.

imo, they need woman in charge of the WOMEN'S tour. anything else is beyond stupid.

Yes, Billie Jean;)

Greenout
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:26 AM
There should've been a complete over haul
of the marketing staff along time ago.

The problem could be that the people
involved are too close to the game.
There needs to be just pure business
types running the WTA tour. And I don't
mean agents pushing product for their
players with deals at NIKE and WILSON
like they do at IMG.

Where are the big players from
Madison Avenue when you need them?

In a way it's kind of good that SANEX
is based in Europe since the 9/11/01
tragedy slowed down alot of market
spending in the USA.

What really bugs me is guys like
Patrick McEnroe. IF he likes tennis
so much why doesn't he promote the
game? Sure...it's all Roddick this, Agassi that.
I couldn't believe that he didn't even mention
that women are playing at Indian Wells too
during the telecast of the Franklin Templeton
event!!

Greenout
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:29 AM
I think the WTA will have to use other avenues
for promotion.

MTV has been better at promoting the WTA
than Sanex in the USA. Those appearances
by Anna and Serena were really good ideas.

That's what it will have to come down to
promoting the WTA like Pop Stars. Someone
should get a cameo on THE PRACTICE or
BUFFY ...

Williams Rulez
Mar 12th, 2002, 10:16 AM
lol Greenout... those ideas are really good, but I think the staff will take forever to implement such complicated ideas.

I'd be glad if they even air more commercials on TV, air more tournaments and have more posters, flyers, whatever.

Greenout
Mar 12th, 2002, 10:26 AM
getting someone a cameo on SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE
or even Will&Grace. NBC? The official WImbledon
station..hey why not! Come on WTA staff get to it.

Williams Rulez
Mar 12th, 2002, 10:29 AM
For a start... they could repair the board ;)

Not that anyone would be going back :rolleyes:

Brian Stewart
Mar 12th, 2002, 05:30 PM
The problem is a lot of bias when it comes to sports. Sponsors, networks, etc., are against women's sports. You could literally start up a new men's sport tomorrow, and there would be sponsors lining up, without any idea of whether it wil be a success. Many of those same sponsors wouldn't offer a dime to a women's sport.

Look at what NBC just did. They're losing the NBA after this year. They've already lost the NFL and baseball. They were looking for something to fill their airtime next summer. So they went to... Arena Football. They said it was the only thing available. Hello! They could have had a steady menu of WTA events. Anyone care to guess what fraction of the WTA ratings that Arena Football gets? Let's put it this way: if NBC televised a regular season Arena football game, and another network televised the Gagliardi/Smashnova quarterfinal from Indian Wells against it, the Arena football would lose.

Another problem is that the women are judged based on their worst results. If all but one of the Tier I events had marquee finals and drew gangbuster ratings, they'd be judged by that one. The networks would use it to "justify" their reluctance to commit to a women's contract. Conversely, if all but one Masters Series finals on the men's side were ratings duds, and the lone exception was a Sampras/Agassi final, the ATP would be offered a new TV deal, even though both may be gone after this season. One good result in a men's sport "redeems" it. One bad result in a women's sport is "a cause to be wary".

The other part is how they schedule TV coverage to deliberately try to make the women look less exciting. Do you know how often the women have more close, competitive, exciting matches in the first week of a slam than the men do? It's been every slam that I've checked recently. Of course, I've only gotten back to 1995. Yet they pick isolated women's matches to show, but will often bounce around the men's field to find close matches. They do this because they don't want to show the women, and are trying to justify it. Why do you think they are so crappy about giving scores from other matches during slams? They don't want you to know that at the moment, a woman's seed may be at 4-4 in the third, or perhaps just split tiebreaks, while they're showing a serving contest. If they showed all of the women's scores, it would destroy the myth that the women don't have any competitive or exciting matches in the first week. It's the same reason ESPN is so selective about the scores they give during SportsCenter. If Hingis has to win 3rd set tiebreaks in her first 2 rounds, but wins 6-1, 6-1 in the 3rd round, which scores do you think they'll give?

Think I'm exaggerating? Look at what they did at Australia. Capriati and Grande played an exquisite 2nd set, and the match as a whole was very exciting. It was one of the most entertaining matches of the tournament in either draw. So what shows up on SportsCenter? A couple of errors by Capriati and Grande, as the announcer intoned "nobody wanted to win this match". They took a great match and selectively edited it to make it look completely the opposite of what it truly was. Why would they do that if they don't have an agenda?

I think going outside of traditional tennis and sports media is a good idea. That's how Hingis, Williams (x2), etc. got so popular. This forced tennis to cover them. It's obvious they're not going to get a fair shake in the tennis/sports media, so keep going beyond them. I'd love to see Venus, Serena, et al, go on Leno, etc., and blast this bias, and expose it to the public. Have some numbers to back it up, such as the # of times SportsCenter "didn't have the time" to give women's tennis scores/highlights, but found the time to show drunkards dancing in the stands at a ballgame.

Nimi
Mar 12th, 2002, 05:37 PM
no, if the Tennis Channel coming in the summer would give some womans tennis that will be good

cynicole
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:53 PM
With sports in general, I think there's a reluctance on advertisers to cover individuals and individual sport.

If you can remember it, think Reebok's "Dan vs. Dave" from 1992. When Dan O'Brien failed to make the U.S. Olympic team, Reebok was left with egg on their faces...tons of wasted advertisements. I remember going to a Reebok office/outlet place and there was this huge mural of Dan O'Brien and Dave Johnson...and most people, on first seeing it, laughed.

Who wants to risk a lot of money focusing on one individual...or even two?

'Course, you have stuff like golf and NASCAR that do so well. But that's also because you could show multiple golfers in the span of 10 minutes and there's tons of drivers racing around a track...but in tennis it's really just two people standing on opposite sides of the net for an hour or two. If you have an unforced error fest or two retrieving backboards go against eachother *yawn*.

Anyway, back to initial question, I think the ads for the men's tour are there because 1- It's ESPN and they're biased towards men's sport and 2 - Because the ATP packaged their events together under this "Tennis Masters Series" banner and negotiated contracts for it as a whole. In other words, I guess ATP is more "centralized" than the WTA Tour is (which allows its tournaments lots of power - hence Gold Exempt list).

IIRC, there weren't too many ads for men during the U.S. Open on USA or CBS. Instead, we saw those JenCap Fila and Venus Wilson's Leather and Reebok commercials over and over again.

I think it was the Time Magazine article from around that time that pointed towards why they preferred advertising towards men than women - because women all want to wear something different and men didn't care if they looked the same. Hooey, I say. What the hell are they doing advertising to "women"? They should be hooking young girls. (Like what they did with women's soccer!)

okay, I just rambled here.

Jessica02
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Maybe when anna wins a tournament things will change...

saby
Mar 12th, 2002, 10:16 PM
WTA don't need to promote women tennis Anna is doing it for free !!!:rolleyes:

Sorry for her but it's true

:angel: :angel: :angel:

Celeste
Mar 13th, 2002, 12:42 AM
I agree with Brian, it's just that women's sports aren't taken that seriously.

I told you guys that I was in Miami for a week in January, and every day in the Miami Herald there were large, 1/2 page ads to buy Ericsson (Nasdaq?) tickets. They all promoted previous men's matches ONLY to hype the event. This has been a tournament with some great women's matches as well, but they weren't mentioned ever, for the whole week. And with popular American players, even ones from Florida. Not a word!

BK4ever
Mar 13th, 2002, 01:09 AM
I agree with everything here and I have to especially agree with GreenOut. Working in the Marketing/Advertising business I know how much small appearances can have when trying to promote something.

Getting WTA personalities on the talk shows and network shows is not difficult to do. Its simply a matter of having a good PR firm. We do it all the time, for less important things. the WTA needs to take advantage of all of the sponsorship deals they have to help popularize the players and the game. The USTA an be a great help as well. they have realationships with some of the biggest advertisers.i.e, United Airlines

Jordan.
Mar 13th, 2002, 01:31 AM
Maybe if we start a boycott and tell people not to watch mens tennis when its on and watch women's.When their ratings go down,maybe they'll figure out that...Most Of Us Dont Like Mens Tennis!:(

cynicole
Mar 14th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by BK4ever
I agree with everything here and I have to especially agree with GreenOut. Working in the Marketing/Advertising business I know how much small appearances can have when trying to promote something.

Getting WTA personalities on the talk shows and network shows is not difficult to do. Its simply a matter of having a good PR firm. We do it all the time, for less important things. the WTA needs to take advantage of all of the sponsorship deals they have to help popularize the players and the game. The USTA an be a great help as well. they have realationships with some of the biggest advertisers.i.e, United Airlines

The reminds me of what women's soccer did. I didn't know it existed until 1994 when Reebok or Nike had those commercials with Nancy Kerrigan, some well-known athlete whose name escapes me, and Julie Foudy, the soccer player. I was like, "Who the hell is Julie Foudy?" Also, I collected some World Cup cards back then and they slipped some cards of the women into the pack. Very effective.

So when I turn on the tv and there's nothing better on I latched onto the women's games because I felt I was slightly familiar with them.

The WTA's marketing dept. needs to do a better job getting these girls out there. Right now, the only ones we see are getting the attention because of THEIR OWN PR people. Is that perhaps a problem? Everyone having their own people do these things?

Please, no SNL though. Athletes don't have a great track record on that show! :o ;)

moon
Mar 14th, 2002, 05:40 PM
What is to stop the WTA from producing some rinky dink commercials like the men have for the ATP?

It's not like they even have to show up for a commercial shoot. All they have to do is show some clips of them playing, just like the men.

cynicole
Mar 14th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by moon
What is to stop the WTA from producing some rinky dink commercials like the men have for the ATP?

It's not like they even have to show up for a commercial shoot. All they have to do is show some clips of them playing, just like the men.

Which rinky dink commercials for the men? And what are they really selling in those commercials? And who are they selling it to? Which crowd are they going after?

The Penn ball and the Tennis Masters Series game are the only ones I can think of.

Aside from Agassi with Canon Rebel X Cameras, and those old ones he used to do for Nike, how many tasteful, non-embarrassing tennis commercials are there for the men?

John McEnroe peddling Lincoln towncars or Heinekin beer? Pete Sampras with One-A-Day Vitamins?

And who wants to watch sweaty women whack at a ball when Anna poses in sexy outfits for magazine covers? (And what image of the sport is THAT giving off.... no wonder there's little respect for it.)

And then there's property rights...but I'm not really sure how those work since I don't work in marketing.

Makes me think of some old magazines I was flipping through for my research paper. Ads for drinks and watches and all sorts of other things....with tennis players.

Coca-Cola/Pepsico? Visa/MasterCard/AmericanExpress? Sports drink companies? Hello?!

moon
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:54 PM
I'm talking about the new balls thingy, and now they have a new one. I think it's called "the new establishment" or something like that. It seems to me that they are simply trying to promote the men's game as a product, to get the fans more hyped about the game.

I actually wouldn't mind some ads seeing sweaty women wack a tennis ball--including Anna. ;)

CanadianBoy21
Mar 15th, 2002, 12:39 AM
Moon- I agree with u.

By the way, the Atp will do ANYTHING to promote themselves.
I mean look at the commercials they got. You even see them showing players bending over, like showing Andy Roddicks sweaty butt when he is bending over, :rolleyes: really dusqusting things they do to get themselves on top. I wonder if they asked for the players premission to show clips like that, probably not.
:fiery:

The Wta needs to strike back and show some of Anna's behind ;) .
But seriously, they need to make commercials, and show that Wta has sex appeal. People will turn on there Tv to watch these girls wearing a thonge(sp?) , and ratings will be so high, they'll show more Wta matches.
The Atp players have NO personality, almost no rivalries. I mean with Agassi and Sampras gone, they'll have none, while the Wta has match ups that will draw people to watch, like Venus & Lindsay, Martina & Jennifer, Serena versus Jennifer, Serena against Martina, Martina against Lindsay...and these are rivalries that happen so often. All the Wta needs is to promote them.
Plus every match Anna plays is guaranteed a high rating, now all they have to do is give her more air time, becasue she sells also.
And not to mention players like Kim, Monica, Justine, Amelie, etc...
As I said and I'll say it again, the Wta HAS PERSONALITIES, and it's a shame they are not exposed to more people.
I can't understand how the Atp can even compete with the Wta, I mean no personalities at all, no rivalries any more either(and that's what makes it fun, like tonite Monica against Martina).
It pisses me off that the Wta is NOT doing more.
Who the hell runs the tour anyways, who is in charge, needs to step it up, I mean they got the pros for marketing, the Nike guy, it just isn't happening, don't know why.