PDA

View Full Version : The curse of Indian Wells continues

TeeRexx
Mar 11th, 2002, 10:15 PM
Latest victim, Justine Henin in a straight set loss.

The first day of TV broadcast and the butcher's bill now has the following:

1. VENUS - no show
2. SERENA - no show
3. Mauresmo - no show
4. Capriati - no show
5. Davenport - Injured
6. ANNA - eliminated
7. Clijsters - eliminated
8. Henin - eliminated
9. Dokic - eliminated

Tournament director Charlie Pasarell is not having a good time so far.
Maybe if he had properly handled that mob last year, he would possibly have two premium players still in the tourney. :p

moon
Mar 11th, 2002, 10:21 PM
Complete agree TeeRexx.

oh well, such is life. :)

GogoGirl
Mar 11th, 2002, 10:37 PM
TeeRexx, point well taken.

Lifted from Jon Wertheim's mailbag. He has other comments concerning the Sisters also.

Don't you think a little too much is made of the whole "If only Venus Williams would play more tournaments she would be a runaway No. 1" thing? All the top women -- except the Belgians; Jelena Dokic, who, now that she is winning, seems to be cutting back; and Serena Williams, who hovers around 10 -- seem to play between 13 and 17 tournaments.
—Aaron, Charleston, S.C.

Your point is well taken, but the Williams sisters play significantly fewer events than other players. In fact, of all the players in the top 50 last year, Venus and Serena played the fewest tournaments. (I'll anticipate the counterargument: They invariably play late into the tournament so we should look at matches played and not events played.) The other point is that they are the straws the stir the women's game. Their presence is crucial to ticket sales, television ratings and "general buzz," as Tina Brown would say. Few people care whether Angeles Montolio, to pick a name at random, enters four tournaments or 40. In contrast, the presence of the Williams sisters means the difference between a rock concert and fifth-grade band practice. (See: Indian Wells, 2002.)

ktwtennis
Mar 11th, 2002, 10:46 PM
He didn't know that the fans were going to boo, so it's not his fault---it's the Williams'! They're the ones that pulled out at the last minute, and those fans paid for those expensive tickets!! Then when Venus showed up the next week--she looked fine!! I would be angry too, so they had a reason to boo, especially that idiot Richard Williams!

TSequoia01
Mar 12th, 2002, 01:24 AM
KTWTennis the did not boo Venus or Richard...they booed Serena.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :cool:

anton
Mar 12th, 2002, 01:26 AM
maybe the fans will behave better next time Venus and Serena play since this tournament is now a Teir III event.

harloo
Mar 12th, 2002, 02:02 AM
Tee I'm starting to believe that Miss Cleo's sister is behind this. lmao!!!! I have never seen this many withdrawals, losses, and no shows in a Tier I, its truly a mess.

Crazy Canuck
Mar 12th, 2002, 02:04 AM
If you guys are having such a terrible time following the tournament - why don't you stop?

Just a thought.

harloo
Mar 12th, 2002, 02:07 AM
Becca, maybe you should not read this thread if you have a problem. Just a thought!.:rolleyes:

apoet29
Mar 12th, 2002, 02:12 AM
For a premier tier one event in the US, Indian Wells has been disappointing to some because several top players either choose not to play or lost early. However, to say that Indian Wells is cursed because of the Williams sisters fiasco (which in my opinion was badly handled by Charlie Pasarelle and the crowd ought to be ashamed of themselves) is unfair to the other players remaining in the draw. Besides Hingis and Seles, there are many upcoming players who will greatly benefit (ranking points and experience) from playing at Indian Wells: Stevenson, Gagliardi, Coetzer, Raymond, Sugiyama, Hantuchova, etc. While these young ladies may not be considered the top players, they are excellent players in the own right and deserve a chance to do well and be seen by the media and tennis fans who want to see new players. While I miss the ladies that are listed in Tee Rexx's post, I am excited to get to see other players have this great opportunity. Remember, Venus, Serena, Amelia, Lindsay, Anna, Justine, Jelena, Kim and Jennifer were once up and coming players too and tier 1 events and slams were the places where we, tennis fans, got our first opportunity to see them play.

anton
Mar 12th, 2002, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by harloo
Becca, maybe you should not read this thread if you have a problem. Just a thought!.:rolleyes:

ditto.:rolleyes:

Jarrett
Mar 12th, 2002, 04:21 AM
KTWTennis the did not boo Venus or Richard...they booed Serena.

Well on that clip they just showed on ESPN it appeared that they were booing Venus and Richard too while they were walking to there seats. I felt very bad for Venus and the look she had on her face. :(

Infiniti2001
Mar 12th, 2002, 04:37 AM
The board mommy/ busy body strikes again :rolleyes:

Crazy Canuck
Mar 12th, 2002, 04:43 AM
I wasn't aware that I'd taken over your role Infiniti2001 .

Appologies - would you like it back? Cause you certaintly play the role of condesending bastard much more effectively than I.

brickhousesupporter
Mar 12th, 2002, 04:45 AM
mnnnnn..... Them there is fighting words.. Can't we all get along. lol

EVAspeed
Mar 12th, 2002, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by Jarrett

Well on that clip they just showed on ESPN it appeared that they were booing Venus and Richard too while they were walking to there seats. I felt very bad for Venus and the look she had on her face. :(
i agree. they basically boo'ed at the whole william's family. first serena, then venus and richard.

i saw it on espn too.

justine... *cries*

indian wells "is" cursed. i'm gonna check up on that city. if it's not too far, i'll try to go out there. i live in th LA county, so it seems like a long way from here.

Crazy Canuck
Mar 12th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Brickhousesupporter - of course we cal all get along :)
I prefer not to argue with fools, as its a losing battle. They can't be reasonable. But I can :)

As for the Indian Wells Curse - anyone suppose there will be any more major upsets? I can't see Martina or Monica losing their next matches.

Infiniti2001
Mar 12th, 2002, 04:50 AM
I wasn't aware that I'd taken over your role Infiniti2001 .

If the cap fits, then wear it DAMMIT
:rolleyes:

Crazy Canuck
Mar 12th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Your too negative.

Of all my posts, you only ever bother to reply when I am being bossy.

What about my other 1800 some odd posts?

Or is it only worth replying when it will cause an argument?

Vanity
Mar 12th, 2002, 05:04 AM
Infiniti2001 is just an old sour bitter woman who only comes here to bitch and complain. I would disregard what she says Becca because frankly you are quite more intelligent than she is.

What a wonderful tournament.. doesn't happen often that the lesser-lites make it far in a big event, so let's enjoy it while before we get back to the regular baseline bash-bash of the big babes.

Scotso
Mar 12th, 2002, 05:10 AM
I love the signature, Vanity ;) lol

Scotso
Mar 12th, 2002, 05:11 AM
Maybe if Venus had played last year, you all wouldn't be bitching now?

Vanity
Mar 12th, 2002, 05:11 AM
why thank you scotso... ;)

i second that...

muhaha....

Infiniti2001
Mar 12th, 2002, 05:13 AM
Oh looky, here comes Miss I am black.. Still desperately seeking attention huh??? Go find someone else to play with kiddo, my time is limited...:fiery:

moby
Mar 12th, 2002, 05:13 AM
if the top players lose its not that the tournament is weak...
the top players are there and they lose, so the opposition was just better.

looks like some people are getting tired of the depth on the tour... ;)

Vanity
Mar 12th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by Infiniti2001
Oh looky, here comes Miss I am black.. Still desperately seeking attention huh??? Go find someone else to play with kiddo, my time is limited...:fiery:

:kiss:

TeeRexx
Mar 12th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Hmmm, the media, broadcast networks, sponsors and I am sure, Pasarell do not think that this tournament is such a rip roaring success and that they hope the same thing occurs next year.

It must be the weather or somrthing in the water in Canada that makes those folks want to see tournaments in which most of the best players are not entered. :p

Scotso
Mar 12th, 2002, 05:38 AM
Now you're insulting Canada? Be careful mister, that's a war you probably don't want to wage.

TeeRexx
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:01 AM
Why not, Scotso?
We are fighting most of the world right now anyway, so we might as well throw you Canucks in the mix as well. :eek: :p :wavey:

But, I think that we will save you guys for last in order to give you a chance repent and to start buying bottled Hollywood water before we start clobbering you. :cool:

hugetennisfan
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:12 AM
I saw the clip of last year's final on espn, and not having seen it then, I had no idea how bad it was for the entire Williams clan. Poor Serena, it must have been awful to play with that going on! If I were Venus or Serena, I would never want to go back! Btw, I don't think it was the best judgement for Venus to pull out so late, but they sure didn't deserve all the booing.

Crazy Canuck
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Tee - You don't want to wage war on us. We're the only people who genuinely like you guys :D :p

Seriously though - I appreciate that its better for the tour when top players show up to the big tournaments. I was just pointing out that I was willing to accept that they didn't, and enjoy what was there.

There are lots of great players with interesting personalities who aren't named Venus, SErena, Jenn, or Lindsay.

This is a chance to see those faces, and give them their day in the sun.

Instead of eveyone whining about who isn't there, it would be so much nicer to see threads about the players we're getting a chance to see.

Your initial post wasn't exactly negative - but some of the response was, and thats what I responded to.

Crazy Canuck
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:14 AM
btw Tee Rexx - there isn't much point in us buying bottled water, as eventually it will be us shipping out fresh water down south to you guys :)

Scotso
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:16 AM
That's true Becca ;)

Rollo
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:20 AM
I'm sure Pasarell would have liked the sisters, Capriati, and davenport around, but its often at times like this that new stars are born. If Hantuchova makes the finals I urge you to watch-she has serious "shine" potential:)

moby
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by Infiniti2001

look here, you arent trying to be racist are you? :rolleyes:

TeeRexx
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Rollo, if Pasarell had told the broadcasters that viewers would love watching Hantukova instead of VENUS and SERENA, they would have offered him about one tenth as much for the broadcast rights as they gave him this year.

When was the first time a Grand Slam womens final was played without the men and broadcast in prime time before 2001?
And guess what two players were in the final?
The ratings were only second to the Superbowl.

This premier Tier I event is looking more like an average Tier II affair.

Williams Rulez
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by easy

look here, you arent trying to be racist are you? :rolleyes:

Oh please, you don't know what happened before this. You don't even know what is going on, so quit making yourself look dumb. Wait till I tell YH... he'll laugh. :p

Rollo
Mar 12th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Tee -for your ifo dear only the slams actually get money from networks for broadcast rights-others are glad to get TV coverage, but ESPN certainly doesn't pay for it-tennis isn't quite that big league:rolleyes:

As for Indian Wells, I agree the event is poorer for the no shows-and we'll just have to see if attendence is down this year. It probably will be.
It makes me laugh though when people jump the gun and declare the event is finished because there are empty stands in the first few rounds. If that was the case every tournament except Wimbledon would fold. Lots of empty seats greet even the Wiliams sisters in early rounds.

Indian Wells will survive even if the sisters NEVER show again, just as Hamburg survived 1993, which was a far worse stigma.

Kart
Mar 12th, 2002, 10:29 AM
I couldn't agree with you more Rollo :).

For those of you moaning about the absence of Venus and Serena in this tournament - if I had had their experience of last year I would never come back.

Theirs and Lindsay's absence are the only notable changes from last year - Amelie and JenCap didn't play then either.

However, that doesn't change the fact that there are players on court giving their best so could we give them a little bit more credit please ?

Oh and infiniti, Vanity and Becca I'm sorry I know I shouldn't be laughing but you guys are so funny :).

infiniti :), I posted in colour just for you :)

TeeRexx
Mar 12th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Kart, I can never rip you because your avatar has my all time tennis babe on it. :eek:

Rollo - ESPN does PAY for the right to broadcast sports events and Indian Wells got paid.

Sure, life and tennis tournaments go on, but they do not go on nearly as well as they could with FOUR of the top FIVE players in the worl missing from the premier Tier I event on the tour. :cool:

Oh well, such is life.

aura of daniela
Mar 12th, 2002, 10:53 AM
I think the tournament director will be very happy if Daniela Hantuchova can win the title.
Cause they could say years down the track that, that girl who just one her 5th grand slam got her first tournament victory at Indian Wells.
I just hope her first Grand Slam win is in Australia, cause I will be there like I was this year, supporting her will all my heart.

Go Dani

Simon

Kart
Mar 12th, 2002, 11:05 AM
The lady on your avatar isn't too bad looking either, TeeRexx :).

itsallaboutinis
Mar 12th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Thanks Tee for correcting Rollo. I'd have hated for him to have recorded and aired a non-slam event and ended up in jail:rolleyes: along with the exec's at espn:p

This is becoming a habit. The topic of this thread seemed to have been one in which those who are missing the best could blow of a bit of steam, until the Becca's Scotso's and Easy's of the board came in to dictate to others how they should feel about watching Martina and Monica beat up on a bunch of scrubs...not to be too unkind but they are like tennis players in training. Live and let live people.

After all the public must be in agreement with the sour bitter trouble seekers in this thread, they created the discord by booing. One would think If they were as rational as Becca Scotso and Easy that they would be at the tourney in droves to show just how happy they were not to have to spend their money to see a couple of ungrateful arrogant colored girls...but no...they are staying home and boycotting the boycotters :p Perhaps you should lecture the people who aren't paying to see these up and coming powerhouses of the tour:rolleyes:

Vanity

I try to ignore you but a little piece of advice...if you haven't read the Stockholm Syndrome...please do so.

Rollo
Mar 12th, 2002, 01:11 PM
I'm prepared to admit I'm wrong(wouldn't be the first time) but how much is it and are you sure it goes to the event as opposed to the ATP or WTA?

Rollo
Mar 12th, 2002, 01:18 PM
I'm prepared to admit I'm wrong(wouldn't be the first time) but how much is it and are you sure it goes to the event as opposed to the ATP or WTA?

vw43
Mar 12th, 2002, 01:35 PM
My dear, dear Rollo:

Imagine how nice it was to see your familiar login after all my time away from the board. It seems that the gang is still all here. TeeRexx...the former chairman of the Williams Tennis Association, Becca, Kart, is Infiniti2001 really T4Runner1998? and some other familiar posters. Is disposable hero still enriching the board with his special brand of humor?

I couldn't remeber my password and have changed email so I had to come up with a new username and will have to start again at junior status. Oh well.

And Rollo, you were not wrong..just temporarily mistaken...
:cool:

arg43432001..heheh let the games begin.

Go JenCap......

TeeRexx
Mar 12th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Poor Rollo, he will never run a TV station it seems.
How sad. :p

To those in the same predicament as Rollo:
You MUST pay royalties for everything that is broadcast on TV or radio or face fines or imprisonment.

Or death if your name is Rollo. :eek: :p

Rollo
Mar 12th, 2002, 02:32 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!?
Arg---is it arg by another or any other name???
:wavey:
Where HAVE you been?
Most of the "old" Sanex gang made it here-Kart is easily identifiable by the DROP DEAD gorgeous avatar of Sabatini:)

Now Tee, I may still be wrong about ESPN, but it isn't always true that royalties are paid on for TV sports. It's not the same as an entertainment program on TV or radio. I know for a FACT that the WTA and ATP used to pay out of their own pocket to get tennis televised in the past. This may no longer be the case, but I won't be convinced ESPN is forking over big bucks for rights to Indian Wells unless I see it sourced. It's an interesting question, so I put it to Wertheim. Lets hope he answers:)

Rollo
Mar 12th, 2002, 02:37 PM
Here you go Tee.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/b/page/pressbox/0,1328,4821962,00.html

Last summer before the U.S. Open, we wrote that "television stability" would continue to be a major challenge "both domestically and internationally." Since then, golf's PGA Tour entered into its five-year, $900 million TV
contract, demonstrating the value of pooling tournament television rights to create an effective and valuable product. Tennis continues to operate under a system where all but the Grand Slams buy television time to show their events.

If anyone pays-it's Pacific Life and/or Indian Wells, not ESPN:)

TeeRexx
Mar 12th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Rollo, Wertheim will laugh at you and call you pathetic in believing that those jerks at Indian Wells would give anything away but insults, of corse. :p

Rollo
Mar 12th, 2002, 02:42 PM
We'll see about Wertheim-til then I'm waiting for your source. I gave you one :)

It all boils down to this Rex-why should ESPN "pay" for what it can get for free? 90% of tournaments lose money, no matter how good the attendence. The payoff for a sponsor like Pacific Life is the advertising, TV or otherwise, and they are usually willing to pay for it.

QUEENLINDSAY
Mar 12th, 2002, 02:47 PM
It seems like Rios comment is a just a "LITTLE TRUE" to other fans here. They called a tournament boring if players in the top seed were eliminated early.

I'm actually happy the way this tournament is going considering 4 top players were not here. Rising players like Daniela has a chance to improve her game and self confidence. This actually adds excitement to womens tennis having new players on quarters or semis.

I found no curse in this tournament. Its just the way it is.

Go Danny!!!!!!!!!!!

vw43
Mar 12th, 2002, 02:49 PM
It is nice to see some of the players that don't normally get a lot of airplay. :D

Cybelle Darkholme
Mar 12th, 2002, 03:20 PM
This tournament is fantastical! I mean c'mon, sure we can all admit that it would be even better with all the top ten and top twenty players in the world attending but that didn't happen! So what! There are other players more than ready to seize the spotlight and shine!

I think no one can blame the players if they choose not to play in an event. I mean jelena dokic skipped a grand slam! Now no one in their right mind should criticize anyone for skipping a tier one if other players can bail out of a grand slam without hardly any serious criticism. Now I love me some jelena and thought if she wanted to skip the aussie o then hey im all for that, but still she could've used the points and the match play.

Players can't play every event and so IW will just have to suck it up and promote the new girls who are coming up and the old gals still with some kick. I only wished martina and tasha had one further in the tournament.

Also, just curious why no one criticized anna when she refused to put on an exhibition after martina and her withdrew from doubles. The tournament director asked her to play rippner and anna balked, "she's beneath me!". Now if you want to see a player who has a nasty attitude and doesn't support the tour but only herself, taadaa there she is miss anna it's-all-about-me-screw-the-tour-eventhough-I-am-getting-wildcards-up-the-wazoo kornikova.

PS: anna was not exhausted, not injured, not unable to play she simply felt that brie was not the same calibre and therefore did not deserve to play her. Now all you anna lovers please tell me how you can defend this indefensible behavior? How could she rip on poor Brie like that?!

Ryan
Mar 12th, 2002, 03:30 PM
I only like Anna when she's in doubles with Martina. Otherwise, she does seem way too snobby for someone who's ranked what? 90 somthin?

Tee - You don't want to wage war on us. We're the only people who genuinely like you guys

Becca are you willing to bet on that?:p

TeeRexx
Mar 12th, 2002, 03:47 PM
ANNA can be snobby becasue she's, well, she's ANNA! ;) :p

Infiniti2001
Mar 12th, 2002, 04:06 PM
is Infiniti2001 really T4Runner1998? Yes indeed, new car different name LOLOL. Hi friend /foe, nice to see you again :wavey: :) :p

Crazy Canuck
Mar 12th, 2002, 04:21 PM
Ryan14 - Yes, I'd love to bet on that :) As much as I hate to say it - Anit Americanism is strong in a LOT of parts in the world - you'll find very little of that in Canada.

Yes, you have your allies - but you wouldn't kid yourself to think they weren't using you guys for power would you?

A couple comments for itsallaboutinis -

"The topic of this thread seemed to have been one in which those who are missing the best could blow of a bit of steam"

Well for starters, we interpreted the topic differently. I didnt read anything about this thread being a vent thread for those whining their faves didn't show up. Apparently you read between the lines and saw that - good for you. I simply saw it as some random comments on how Tee thought the tournament was going, commenting on how the tournament was "cursed" which in itself is rather amusing actually :)

"untill the Becca's Scotso's and Easy's of the board came in to dictate to others how they should feel about watching Martina and Monica beat up on a bunch of scrubs...not to be too unkind but they are like tennis players in training. Live and let live people. "

I don't recall telling you how you hav to feel, so perhaps it would be intelligent to NOT put works into my mouth :) I simply pointed out the immense amount of disrespect that players that are left are getting - and you referring to them as "scrubs" illustrated my point perfefctly. Thankyou.

"After all the public must be in agreement with the sour bitter trouble seekers in this thread, they created the discord by booing."

Funny - your the only one who sounds sour and bitter to me. Suck it up, and move along :) Because, comparing me to the fools who booed SErena, Venus, and Richard that day is getting you no where - there is no comparison, and it makes a fool of you :)

"One would think If they were as rational as Becca Scotso and Easy that they would be at the tourney in droves to show just how happy they were not to have to spend their money to see a couple of ungrateful arrogant colored girls...but no...they are staying home and boycotting the boycotters Perhaps you should lecture the people who aren't paying to see these up and coming powerhouses of the tour"

Once again, proving idiocy with this comment. Its ignorant to make sweeping statements about things your not educated - including comments about other individuals :)

The likely reason that attendance is down, is because the people not showing up, are those who liked the players who have boycotted. Beleive it or not, SOME people in the audience weren't booing them. Many were- but not all. And those who were fans, were likely the ones who aren't showing up.

THough I find it interesting that you seem to know which of the fans vs non fans boycotted. Did you run around Indian Wells and ask them all personally? :)

itsallaboutinis
Mar 12th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Becca

I can understand how you had difficulty understanding why Tee started this thread...u seem to a comprehension problem. Not sure you'll understand...but I'm always willing to try to educate.

You are correct my last post in this thread was my first. So it would have been a bit difficult for you to have addressed my feelings period. I was speaking in general terms regarding your coming into this thread and by your effort to censor conduct in it...effectually telling others how they should feel or as you put it simply pointing out the immense disrespect the posters in this thread were getting by you and some followers trying to control how others choose to express their opinion.

It's my opinion that if you are not the best or in team sport vanacular if you are not a starter...you are a scrub. Scrub are talented and very good at what they do just not the best. You may not like the term scrub and I promise that I won't come into a thread you start and tell you that if you don't like the term scrub you should just ingore it ;)

Sour and bitter. What did I say that sounded sour and or bitter? Compare you to the I.W. crowd...again you'll have to point it out.

I did say that you'd have been better off lecturing those who are not in attendance, I do hope you understand that that is not the same as comparing you to them.

As to the rest of your blather...When writting one can in fact use sarcasm. It's the readers responsebility to understand mood and tone and to pick up on the subleties of what one is reading...(or atleast that what my english teacher taught me...and in fact y we read so many different works).

so when I wrote...

"One would think If they were as rational as Becca Scotso and Easy that they would be at the tourney in droves to show just how happy they were not to have to spend their money to see a couple of ungrateful arrogant colored girls...but no...they are staying home and boycotting the boycotters Perhaps you should lecture the people who aren't paying to see these up and coming powerhouses of the tour"

comprehension should have come to your aid, and that simple thought process should have said to you...writer can't know y people are not showing up and that rational comment was a swipe at my condescending know it all piaty...alas, if only you had not been busy during english class.

harloo
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:06 PM
This thread was started to point out that all the top players were falling at this tournament, now it has turned into "Oh, they shouldn't say this tournament is boring." I simply made a reference to Miss Cleo, and all hell broke lose. Get over it, it was just a joke.

Becca, sorry but you have a problem with others when they don't agree with you. They either become idiots or you take cheap shots at them. Then you end up tag teaming and this becomes the end result. Ya know people have a right to their opinions, and you are not the be all and end all.

Futhermore, I'm not discrediting the other player's. Good for them, and Hatchocova for the breakthrough. I just feel like with some or all of the top player's not competing against the new booties how can you really measure their toughness. With the exception of Hatchocova's breakthrough, I think we are headed for some pretty predictable losses and wins. Hey, it's just my opinion. You don't have to agree so don't get your undies in a bunch!!!

TeeRexx
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Seems like some people, who can not take some light entertainment, have apparently cursed this thread. :( :p :wavey:

veryborednow
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:59 PM
I miss watching Jen, Venus, Seren etc as much as the next person.

But guess what? There is tennis on the TV finally! so Im happy, whoever it is....

:bounce:

BigTennisFan
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:22 PM
"He didn't know that the fans were going to boo, so it's not his fault---it's the Williams'! They're the ones that pulled out at the last minute, and those fans paid for those expensive tickets!! Then when Venus showed up the next week--she looked fine!! I would be angry too, so they had a reason to boo, especially that idiot Richard Williams!"

To paraphrase Ed Koch when people would say how much they missed him as mayor (this is after voting him out, mind you) "The people (IW) have spoken, and now the people must be punished.":angel:

griffin
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:55 PM
LOL@BigTennisFan and Ed Koch!

What goes around...

TeeRexx
Mar 12th, 2002, 08:13 PM
The people had reason to be disappointed, but absolutely no reason to boo SERENA and yell racial ephithets at VENUS and Richard.

VENUS has been certified by the best doctors in the U.S., hired by the WTA and was diagnosed with chronic tendinitis. Meanining, the pain can come and go, just as it did at OZ.

SERENA was unjustly harrassed for something she did not do.
VENUS was called racial slurs for having a proven physical problem.
Richard did not orchestrate a faked illness.

Clijsters, however, is probably guilty of throwing the match to SERENA because Hewitt laid out some big dough AGAINST her in the finals.

Hell, it was the perfect scam. :eek:

I must remember to boo Kim when she come to Los Angeles for the WTA Championships. :eek: :p :cool:

heehee

TeeRexx
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:29 PM
Wow!!
The beat goes on, Agassi is out now on the second day of TV broadcasting!

The curse of Indian Wells continues. :eek: :p

GogoGirl
Mar 12th, 2002, 11:10 PM
I posted an article under the Pacific Life Open thread that stated this tourney will indeed help the Indian Wells economy.

I don't want to take sides on this one - for I try to be fair in everything I do - but I will add this:

For many Williams Sisters' fans - we really began following and loving the game more after Venus arrived on the scene in 1997. I had read and heard about her before then. Before she arrived - I loved to watch Steffi play. Steffi was my girl. I watched the big matches back then - and for the most part - the networks didn't show the early round matches - even in the slams.

Now - where would we all be - if the Sisters were not playing? Would we still love to follow tennis like we do now or not? And - when Venus & Serena retire from the courts - will we still watch it? I suppose there are good points made here, with one being, that some would lose their intense interest in the sport when the top players and/or their faves move on. And some would still follow and watch the sport w/the same intensity.

That being said - I would definitely miss Venus and Serena when they leave the tour - but I hope, I will still have a strong urge to continue watching tennis period. Today, I even watch men's tennis over anything else on TV, for the most part - so I'll continue to watch.

Of course, the Sisters and other top players are playing the sport now - so most of what I've written above does not apply. But what about when they leave? Will some here never watch the IW/PL tourney again? I am more than glad that some new and upcoming players are now breaking out on the scene. I have a feeling that I will still watch when most of the top players of today leave.

Surely, this particular tourney is missing that star power - but even if the top players had played and lost in their first round match - the tourney would have still gone on.

It really will be quite interesting to see how far Daniela goes. The two women's matches tomorrow will be interesting to me, and the semis will be and the finals will be. All the matches are relative.

I'm still picking Martina - but I would not be surprised w/whomever wins it all. I am also thinking recklessly now that Agassi is out - for I am picking Rios. I could take him or leave him - but I do like his style of play. PP (Pistol Pete) may surprise me - but I doubt it. Hewitt is still a major favorite - but we shall see shan't we?