PDA

View Full Version : How come Maria doesn't go to the net more often?

mrush2004
Sep 1st, 2004, 06:10 AM
she was 15/16 =94% today and as soon as she was down i think it was like 5-4 in the 3rd set she again played more aggressively and went to the net, I remember that lob that Laura(not sure if thats her name lol) did over Masha and it was out but Masha was going to the net.

The first set she was going to the net and getting easy points but than in the 2nd set she played more passively and didnt dictate the points. Hopefully her coach and shiet tell her to go to the net more often cause she is good at it. well thats just my opinion anyways. I almost had a heartattack when she was down but glad she won!

Sharapower
Sep 1st, 2004, 06:50 AM
I feel really the same : Masha had lot of opportunities to come in but she didn't and then she lost a bunch of points by trying to make it from the baseline.

Hopefully, playing the mixed doubles (pairing with Mirnyi) is going to help her increase her confidence at the net.

With such a serve, Masha could even serve and volley, even on 2nd serve. If she adds more net-play to her game she will put a quite unbearable pressure on any opponent.

Dan23
Sep 1st, 2004, 07:27 AM
she was 15/16 =94% today and as soon as she was down i think it was like 5-4 in the 3rd set she again played more aggressively and went to the net, I remember that lob that Laura(not sure if thats her name lol) did over Masha and it was out but Masha was going to the net.

The first set she was going to the net and getting easy points but than in the 2nd set she played more passively and didnt dictate the points. Hopefully her coach and shiet tell her to go to the net more often cause she is good at it. well thats just my opinion anyways. I almost had a heartattack when she was down but glad she won!
True in a way mrush
..but the 2nd set was when Laura picked up her game considerably and was hitting the ball much deeper and more accurately which made it harder for Maria to put her under pressure and push up to the net.
:)

Lemonskin.
Sep 1st, 2004, 08:57 AM
It's just not her game so much. She's more of a baseline hitter.

sharapovarulz1
Sep 1st, 2004, 10:21 AM
It's just not her game so much. She's more of a baseline hitter.

Yeah thats true lemonskin!!!