PDA

View Full Version : Why is Maria ES with a superior junior record than Gisela doesnt do as well?

GoldenSlam
Aug 28th, 2004, 08:26 PM
One of the main reasons I think is because she dominated in a year where no noticable talents can be seen. But making it to the world champion is still impressive nonetheless.

Is it because there has been too much attention on her to do well thus she crumbled under pressure?
Or is it just because she is not talented enough?

esquímaux
Aug 29th, 2004, 05:14 AM
Success in juniors is not a benchmark/shoe-in for success on the senior tour. If that were the case, Cara Black would have completed the golden slam twice by now.

GoldenSlam
Aug 30th, 2004, 01:09 AM
Success in juniors is not a benchmark/shoe-in for success on the senior tour. If that were the case, Cara Black would have completed the golden slam twice by now.
I think you are misinterpreting my posts, I never expect a junior world champion to do golden slams. But I expect them to do at least "something" in her career.
I just want to know why she has been under-achieving, is it the inability to handle the expectations after that?

I understand that junior records mean pretty much nothing in seniors.
But junior results are indications for talents. You cant play like a beginner and still win juniors. You've gotta have at least "some" talents. Maria cant just be a nobody, right?

Actually Cara Black I thought was an impressive newcomer though, reaching top 50 as a teenager.
Maria on the other hand is in her 20's already, and has done virtually nothing. Is it that the juniors of out of the year all dont do well, or is it just she has not reached anywhere she is capable of?