PDA

View Full Version : Hingis plots to capture the Roland Garos title

TeeRexx
Mar 11th, 2002, 01:55 PM
From a March 10 interview:
------
Q. What is your clay court schedule after Key Biscayne? Are you playing in the Family Circle Cup?

MARTINA HINGIS: No, I'm not playing any of these tournaments. I'll go back home to Europe and practice there. My next one would be Hamburg, Berlin, and Rome.

Q. You're playing all three of those before Paris?

MARTINA HINGIS: Yes, on the red clay.
-----

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020310/capt.1015807417pacific_life_open_mjt112.jpg

From this statement it looks like Hingis is going to go all out to try and capture the elusive RG title and possibly her best chance at a slam this year.

This may be a good strategy because the fast courts at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open will be overrun with bigger hitters that will leave Hingis only a small chance to win at those events.

Nimi
Mar 11th, 2002, 01:58 PM
shes out of the family circle cup???? i mean, shes just GIVING UP points, whats up with that??? how does she knows she wont have a broken nail & will fall out of RG in the 1st round??

Ryan
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Oh THAT was VERY intelligent Insanity.:rolleyes:

mauresmofan
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:21 PM
InSaNiTy I have to disreguard anything you will ever have to say because you believe that Alexandra Stevenson rocks.

It is a fact that Alexandra Stevenson is a grade A Retard. Is it normal to be so happy all the time?

Let me ask Who ate all the prozac?

selesfan
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:30 PM
Martina usually plays all 3 red clay tournaments anyway, last year she opted to play the American clay tournaments in place of Hamburg.

Ryan
Mar 11th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Hopefully she'll FINALLY take the Roland Garros title.

Nimi
Mar 11th, 2002, 03:33 PM
wow what a pic mauresmofan, Anna is looking better & better in every picture i see of her....

& Ryan, :rolleyes:

rated_next
Mar 11th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Insanity: :rolleyes:

this messageboard is begining to be filled with half-witted posters

apoet29
Mar 11th, 2002, 03:41 PM
I believe Martina won the Family Circle Cup in 99 beating Kournikova. In 2000, she decided to forgo that event and stay in Europe after the Ericsson. It certainly didn't hurt Martina's ranking or results on clay where she won Hamburg, made the semi's of both the German Open and the French Open.

Overall, I think Martina is very smart in her scheduling and she probably realizes that the French Open is her best chance for a grand slam title this year. Let's hope that she can make it to the finals and not face Jennifer, who absolutely demolished Martina in the SF's last year.

Ryan
Mar 11th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Yeah, but look what Martina alllllllmost did to Jen in AO this year. If Hingis gets her hands on Jen again, it will be a cat fight.

Nimi
Mar 11th, 2002, 04:35 PM
ha? :confused:

apoet29
Mar 11th, 2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Ryan14
Yeah, but look what Martina alllllllmost did to Jen in AO this year. If Hingis gets her hands on Jen again, it will be a cat fight.

Good point. But in tennis, it is who wins, not who came close. Martina played amazing tennis for a set and a half @ the Oz, but it was not enough to put Jennifer away. Hopefully, Martina will have learned from her mistakes and make sure that it does not happen again.

Nimi
Mar 11th, 2002, 05:03 PM
true... 8 match points... :sad:

treufreund
Mar 11th, 2002, 05:06 PM
What Ryan14 was saying is that getting to match with Jenn shows that Martina HAS THE ABILITY AND GAME to beat Jenn. If you play tennis sometime and have match points against the person I doubt that you will walk off the court believing that you could not have beaten that person. If so then your self-confidence is unrealistically low.

apoet29
Mar 11th, 2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by treufreund
What Ryan14 was saying is that getting to match with Jenn shows that Martina HAS THE ABILITY AND GAME to beat Jenn. If you play tennis sometime and have match points against the person I doubt that you will walk off the court believing that you could not have beaten that person. If so then your self-confidence is unrealistically low.

Good point. But I have to wonder how much of an impact that match will have on Martina in big match situations again.

hingis-seles
Mar 11th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Martina has the self-confidence back!

I think her biggest obstacle at RG will come from Monica Seles this year, who has always done well in Paris and this year she is fit, confident and should be top 4 by RG time.

TeeRexx
Mar 11th, 2002, 07:59 PM
Actually, Monica may end up being the least of Hingis' problems at Roland Garos.
Hint: VENUS, SERENA and Capriati.

MaRKy MaRk
Mar 11th, 2002, 08:04 PM
I hope this plan works....btw, great signature, apoet29 !!

go hingis
Mar 12th, 2002, 12:12 AM
I think Martina has a great chance at the FO, as every year,

Go Hingis!

bryan26
Mar 12th, 2002, 12:35 AM
Venus and Serena still haven't reallt shown that they have a good chance to win the French Open. I think Jen has the best shot then martina and then monica.

People think martina can beat Jen because she almost did at the AO. But you forget that Jen played an awful match yet still pulled it out. If Jen was on i don't think martina would have much of a chance.

Oizo
Mar 12th, 2002, 12:42 AM
LOL Insanity :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Cybelle Darkholme
Mar 12th, 2002, 12:51 AM
Before jen won the aussie open her best finish was a semifinal. Didn't Venus make the semis of the aussie in 2001? So winning two more matches is not beyond her ability. Also jen's best performance at fo before winning was a semi way back in 1990 after that all quarters, fourth round, and first round. Given that track record why is so hard to see venus or serena accomplishing the same? Its not like jen had a great track record and she did it so I cannot in the world see why others cannot achieve the same.

Martian KC
Mar 12th, 2002, 12:54 AM
And why do you guys always turn every thread into your daily worship of the willis?:rolleyes:

Williams Rulez
Mar 12th, 2002, 01:04 AM
Because some one discounted the chances of Venus or Serena winning the Roland Garros? :rolleyes:

So some one else corrected him.

brickhousesupporter
Mar 12th, 2002, 01:11 AM
Well said Williams_Rulez. :)

moby
Mar 12th, 2002, 05:46 AM
"Venus and Serena still haven't reallt shown that they have a good chance to win the French Open. I think Jen has the best shot then martina and then monica. "

and this is called discounting the chances of them winning RG??? :rolleyes: its true Venus and Serena havent shown that they have a good chance of winning at RG. QFs isnt exactly spectacular.

I'm very confident that more people have counted marti out of wimbledon (yes even this year's) and she had actually won there before ;)

TeeRexx
Mar 12th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Hmm, a Roland Garos quarter final appearance is not spectacular?
Then one should ask the over 1500 ranked plaers below the top ten how they feel about nat making an RG qf.

VENUS and SERENA have shown that they are more than capable of winning any event, on any surface, against any player.

Vanity
Mar 12th, 2002, 05:58 AM
What a misguided dreamer. :rolleyes:

TeeRexx
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:07 AM
"Too much cold weather will inhibit the blood flow to the brains of humans living in cold weather climates." - Scientific Americana

LucasArg
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by Williams_Rulez
Because some one discounted the chances of Venus or Serena winning the Roland Garros? :rolleyes:

So some one else corrected him.

Ditto:wavey:

A4
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Goodness gracious me! Vanity actually has an avatar of Venus? Then I'm King Kong and anything is possible.

Crazy Canuck
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:07 AM
""Too much cold weather will inhibit the blood flow to the brains of humans living in cold weather climates." - Scientific Americana"

Well then I guess that all the American's who live further North than me - and many do - are dumber than me :D

Scotso
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:11 AM
I think she's finally being smart. She decided that winning grand slams is more important to her than being number 1 in the world. She's willing to do what needs to be done to try to get the elusive RG title.

Kudos to her.

jomar
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:17 AM
Make it happen Marti!!!!!:angel: :bounce: :kiss:

Lisbeth
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:24 AM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Martina did win RG.

jomar
Mar 12th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Jaz do it Marti!!!!;):angel: :bounce: :kiss:

moby
Mar 12th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by TeeRexx
"Too much cold weather will inhibit the blood flow to the brains of humans living in cold weather climates." - Scientific Americana

singapore's just north of the equator so i'm smart
yippeee !!!

for all canadians dont worry
you're less likely to get brain vessels that burst when searching frantically for (or making up) quotes in magazines in hopes of appearing learned ;)

ChrisGermany
Mar 12th, 2002, 08:34 AM
I think Martina does a huge mistake once again

Playing 2 in the US and playing 2 in Europe wasn´t right, playing 3 in Europe wasn´t right either

So why THIS TIME ?

In times when no top star next to her was a title favorit it might have been ok for her to play three weeks on red clay in a row, but what she plans to do THIS TIME is nonsense !

1) Playing a single green clay event and skip one in Europe would give her one week of rest more on the more tiring slow red clay

2) In Europe, she´ll be bumped into Venus, Kim, Justine, Serena, Jennifer, Monica, Amelie in EACH of the three events and that means she could very well be placed in a draw that puts her against Jenn or Venus in the semis if she skips points in the US and therefore falls behind Kim or, maybe, soon even behind Monica

3) In Rome she might face BOTH Williams f.e.
4) In Charleston she would´ve faced just one

5) Please consider the fact that each European organizers would want her to play doubles with Anna as an attraction as well so she might play 6 events within 3 weeks, singles combined with doubles maybe, and that´s definetly something I can remember she did in the past and did terribly with

Let me say. She´ll definetly win Indian Wells now with all stars gone at the top draw, but she´ll lose in Key Biscayne before or within the final and would do good to play one event on green clay and skip Berlin. She won´t do that due to status and the WTA´s wish to bring a great field to Berlin knowing that Rome already has 9 out of 10 but that would definetly be a key to winning - and let me finish : I´m a Jennfan so I´ve no interest in teaching Martina how to become a title contender again but, for sentimental reasons, if I´d wish her one title, it would be the French !

TeeRexx
Mar 12th, 2002, 08:55 AM
A lot of good post and thoughts in this thread.

However, the way the tennis world is situated at this time, it would take the kind of situation at this years Indian Wells debacle to occur before Martina could come away with the Roland Garos Title. :cool:

Williams Rulez
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by easy

singapore's just north of the equator so i'm smart
yippeee !!!

you're less likely to get brain vessels that burst when searching frantically for (or making up) quotes in magazines in hopes of appearing learned ;)

Maoey, just cause you don't like reading doesn't everyone else doesn't... :rolleyes: :p

For that I'll make sure no one helps you out at the fair... you are gonna stay there for the full duration. *s******s*

ChrisGermany
Mar 12th, 2002, 10:55 AM
So TeeRexx, we agree on this one ;)

Tatiana Panova
Mar 12th, 2002, 11:48 AM
This is very good thinking I think. She really should have won Roland Garros by now. Yet the clay in Paris is very different form Italian and German (brown), so it is not as if she is playing on the faster French clay. American green clay does suck though!!

TeeRexx
Mar 12th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Good thinking, but is there a little desperation in this action as well? :eek: ;)

moby
Mar 13th, 2002, 07:47 AM

Maoey, just cause you don't like reading doesn't everyone else doesn't... :rolleyes: :p

For that I'll make sure no one helps you out at the fair... you are gonna stay there for the full duration. *s******s*

i understand as much that you dont like reading much either
but i still read a decent amount so you dont have to worry about me
as though you are gonna CONTROL the whole class anyway :rolleyes:
besides raphael might help me on wednesday :angel:

btw what's this got to do with you
i didnt know WR = TR

Williams Rulez
Mar 13th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Shsssh, you were blatantly insulting TR here :rolleyes:

moby
Mar 13th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Shsssh, you were blatantly insulting TR here :rolleyes:

:eek: :eek: :eek:
yikes

i compared TR to you!!! :eek:
what was i thinking :eek:
sorry TR :o

;) :p :p

moby
Mar 13th, 2002, 03:42 PM
no hard feelings TR
just got annoyed that you insulted our very intelligent Becca and Vanity

though i can think of some canadians that quote is referring to ;)

Bella
Mar 13th, 2002, 06:05 PM
What are the qualifiers here?

TeeRexx "Too much cold weather will inhibit the blood flow to the brains of humans living in cold weather climates." - Scientific Americana

Inquiring minds want to know: since the brain can be selective in its use of resources, what choices does it make during long freezes?

vw43
Mar 13th, 2002, 06:31 PM
you're less likely to get brain vessels that burst when searching frantically for (or making up) quotes in magazines in hopes of appearing learned

lol@easy....hehehe

anyway, Hingis could possibly win RG but I think Capriati has the best chance on the clay. :kiss:

TeeRexx
Mar 13th, 2002, 08:08 PM
Oh, if only more of my little buddies could get the proper amount of blood to their frozen brains. :eek: :p

All of you snowmen can come to L.A. for the WTA Championships and thaw out for a few weeks.
C'mon, you need it, eh? :p

GogoGirl
Mar 13th, 2002, 10:05 PM
Martina's "Sour Spice" side is showing up in this article. I hope Venus dusts her rump next time they play.

HINGIS SEES MORE SOUR GRAPES THAN ABILITY
Martina watches as archrival Venus soars

By Matthew Cronin

Susan Mullane
Camerawork USA, Inc.
It has to be irking Martina Hingis that Venus Williams will become No. 1 next week. Not because the Swiss believes that the vexing V is a physically stronger player, nor a mentally tougher competitor, but because she thinks deep down inside that she is a smarter player and should have figured out a way to keep Venus from her beloved queen of hill spot for a few more years.

Martina will not concede Venus the year-end No. 1 spot yet, much yet the top spot next month. In her typical ultra-confident fashion, she refuses to concede that Venus is the clear-cut No. 1, even though Williams has won two out of the last three Grand Slams and accept for her major hiccup in Australia to Monica Seles, has been the out and out favorite in every tournament she has entered since last July.

"I think she won the last two tournaments now, so it's a very close call there," said Hingis, who is about to set off on a three U.S. hardcourt swing in Scottsdale, Indian Wells and Key Biscayne.

"All those players, it can be: one week Jennifer, one week Venus. Hopefully, pretty soon I'll battle with them, too. ... At this point there's lots of girls up front which are still playing great tennis. So I think it gets more and more difficult, as you see in the men's game. You don't have too many steady No 1 players up there. It was nice for me to be there for so long, like four years. At this point it's hard to say. I mean, like I said, the competition is getting stronger, so."

HINGIS HAD TOUGH SUMMER
It's hard to forget how impotent Hingis looked last summer, when she run out of every Slam like she was countrywoman Patty Schnyder in her orange juice-only days, not the best women's athlete in Swiss history. Recall that Serena blasted her 6-3, 6-2 in the U.S. Open semis, one of Martina's most embarrassing losses. "Sometimes it happens," she said. " I beat Venus in Australia the year before [6-1, 6-1], and I beat her more than once. Can't be embarrassed about it."

However, Martina had never been wasted like that before when she was healthy. "Well, it doesn't feel the greatest," she said. " Sometimes it isn't your day. But she was just better than me at that point. I was happy to get into the semifinals. I could have lost in the third round. Later in the fall, I got injured. I knew I wasn't playing the best tennis at that point. And that's very hard to beat somebody like Serena."

Hingis' fall injury was actually a stroke of luck, because it allowed her time to reflect on where her career is going and recommit herself to her sport. She did think back on the loss to Serena. "Maybe a little bit, too, yeah, was part of it," she said. "The whole season wasn't good enough. The break probably did me well. Now I feel like I'm playing better than before."

STRONGER, QUICKER, HAPPIER
Hingis has a lot to be happy about this year. She's much stronger and a little quicker than she was in '01, appears to be very motivated and understands that without the injured Lindsay Davenport and Mary Pierce around, she has a couple less big-hitters to scrape by in the coming months.

Although Venus, Serena and Jennifer can beat her when they are focused, Hingis understands as well as anyone that neither sister has played a full season without being diverted, and that Jennifer can be had if Hingis regains her once immense courage. That gives Martina a terrific shot at winning her sixth Slam in 2002 – if she rediscovers that pushing the ball against elite players when trying to close out matches is not the right recipe for success.

Hingis said that she has already put aside her disastrous loss to Capriati in the Aussie Open final. " I didn't have such a tough time getting over it," she said. "I won the week after that in Tokyo, beat Monica in the finals. I can't be too disappointed about that loss. I came very close. Can't get closer than having four match points. So I think I did better than expected."

The 21-year-old says she now treating her tennis with more responsibility and enjoys it more. And if the Swiss is about to break out her trademark slightly evil smile again on a regular basis, it could be bad news for Venus.

"Before I was sometimes like, 'Okay, do the same old business,' she said. But now I enjoy it more and just prove myself again. ... Last year when I went into tournaments and you know you're not in best shape, you kind of feel like, "Okay, those matches are going to be very hard to go through again, like the Williams sisters or Lindsay or Jennifer, and it's just going to be very hard to win.' But now I feel like I made another step in my game that I got better. So I feel like I have the game to beat everybody."

Ryan
Mar 13th, 2002, 10:37 PM
However, the way the tennis world is situated at this time, it would take the kind of situation at this years Indian Wells debacle to occur before Martina could come away with the Roland Garos Title.

And the field would have to be even more descicated for either William sister to walk away with it, if they dont pull out afore hand.

Williams Rulez
Mar 14th, 2002, 01:28 AM
easy... you are impossibile.

It is amazing that even though you live in such a warm country and your brain isn't frozen, you can still be as dumb. :rolleyes: ;) :p

And I know who you are thinking of... I thought of him immediately after reading that quote. ;) :cool:

Linton
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:45 AM
I think its quite smart for Martina to play several clay tournaments to the build up of the french open. true italiana nd german clay it ihnk are much faster but it still gives u the essentials before the french open.

moby
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:47 AM
easy... you are impossibile.

It is amazing that even though you live in such a warm country and your brain isn't frozen, you can still be as dumb. :rolleyes: ;) :p

And I know who you are thinking of... I thought of him immediately after reading that quote. ;) :cool:

i'm impossibly intelligent ;) :o
you're just jealous that i can go to both extremes and you cant :p
okay *maybe* you may be able to touch the lower extreme ;)
but not the upper one

tenn_ace
Mar 14th, 2002, 04:40 AM
Martina has completely changed her schedule this year if you noticed. She plays only the biggest tournaments and it seems that she doesn't play for more than 5 weeks without a significant break. So skipping Family Circle Cup might not have to anything with RG (or any special intentions)

Williams Rulez
Mar 14th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by easy

i'm impossibly intelligent ;) :o
you're just jealous that i can go to both extremes and you cant :p
okay *maybe* you may be able to touch the lower extreme ;)
but not the upper one

Oh please... you are impossibly UNintelligent :p :rolleyes: ;)

Let's stop this now... we're so childish :o

moby
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:26 AM

Oh please... you are impossibly UNintelligent :p :rolleyes: ;)

Let's stop this now... we're so childish :o

i'm not childish
IM NOT CHILDISH
*screaming lungs out*
I'M NOT CHILDISH
*drinking water to calm myself down*

;) okay maybe just a little

louisa2k2
Mar 14th, 2002, 07:24 PM
To be serious and honest Martina is pretty good on clay and more consistent than a lot of the other players. I doubt that Venus can win shes obv not playing as well as last year losing to seles and testud but i would never totally count n e 1 out. Serena didnt play too badly last year and lost to capriati the evntual winner. I think it will be hard for martina against the crowd the always cheer for her oponent and against her they usually ,anage to get her at some point. Also clijsters played well lasy year but i think henin is too inconsistent.