PDA

View Full Version : Whats happened to Elena!?!?

Cassius
Mar 11th, 2002, 01:15 AM
Check this out. I just found it ( 1/2 hour ago). It what was said about Elena just before Australian Open 2001:

'Elena Dementieva is the real deal. Seeded No. 9, we wouldn't be surprised if the Russian were in the winner's circle. Dementieva's intensity propels her ferocious game. At November's Chase Championships, Dementieva saved a handful of match points in her first-round battle with Lindsay Davenport. She beat the American in three sets, and two nights later, proved her mettle against Kim Clijsters, storming back to take the third set. Dementieva, a semifinalist at last year's U.S. Open, should easily sail into the second week Down Under.'

And did Elean 'sail' into the second week. NO.

This is what was said about Elena's match with Clijsters in US Open 2001 (its a summary of what they said was the best womens match of the tournament):

'Kim Clijsters (5) def. Elena Dementieva (11) 7-5, 4-6, 6-2
Kim Clijsters and Elena Dementieva, two of the WTA Tour's brightest stars, met in the fourth round. Dementieva, a surprise semifinalist a year earlier, had trouble with her serve from the beginning, throwing in crucial double faults. Clijsters took charge, forcing errors from the Russian. But, when the Belgian served for the set at 5-4, she lost her nerve and the game. Clijsters, though, collected herself, broke Dementieva again, and then served out the set.
The teenagers produced Mach 1 rallies, hitting the ball hard and harder still. Most points required at least eight shots to determine a winner. Dementieva, who has the steeliest determination, refused to give up, dug in her nails, and took the second set. Her concentration broke in the third set, and Clijsters, a clever player, took advantage.
This is a match-up to watch in the future. Both women are hard hitters who refuse to lose.'

Does Elena 'refuse to lose'?? Sometimes it looks like she doesn't care if she wins or loses!!!!!

Check out was is said about Elena now at the Pacific Life Open (is that a crap name or what!!):

'It's a funny thing about the wondrously talented Russian women - Elena Dementieva, Anna Kournikova, Nadia Petrova, Anastasia Myskina, Lina Krasnoroutskaya and now Maria Sharapova - they come on the tour like lions and within two years or so, their confidence more closely resembles a lamb's when confronting a hungry wolf.
Such is the fate of Elena Dementieva, who by all rights should be a top-10 stalwart and has fallen to No. 14, partly because of injuries but mostly because she has suffered stage fright.
As Dostoevsky once wrote of his people, the Russians love to suffer for higher causes, but locating Dementieva's on-court philosophical bent right now is harder than finding a lost Venus Williams' bead in an arts and craft store. She is not the same player who reached the '00 Indian Wells semis, the '00 U.S. Open semis nor the player who nearly toppled Venus for the Olympic gold medal. She's not the tall fearless stroker who would leap at any mid-court ball and power it away, or happily sprinted and traded lightening fast groundies with Lindsay Davenport.
She's more than bit gun shy now and her once fierce eyes have turned a softer color. Her once big dreams are now small dreams. Like her aforementioned countrywomen, she just wants to win her first title - any title.
'NO. 1 FOR A WEEK'
"The goal for me is to win a tournament," Dementieva said. "I just hope not have the injuries I had last year. I feel like I'm playing better. [Winning a tournament] is a great thing to have in your career. It's the most important thing to feel like No. 1, even for a week"
Dementieva said that without a title, she can't even think about knocking off the likes the of the Williamses and Capriati on a regular basis. Heck, without a title, the lean blonde daughter of highly educated parents can't even consider how she going to beat the likes of Clijsters and Henin, who annihilated her at the Australian Open.
"That was so unfortunate," Dementieva said. I couldn't find any rhythm, do anything on the court. But I felt like I was in good shape."
In her three-set win over Amy Frazier on Thursday in Indian Wells, Dementieva showed that when motivated, she can push her sound intellect in the right direction. She said that playing "inconvenient" Frazier irks her, because Amy plays so fast and she doesn't always understand where Amy's balls are going. Usually, Frazier will go crosscourt a few times to open up the down the line, which Elena figured out in the end of their contest. But many times, Dementieva allows herself to get too stressed out and loses her head, like she did against Henin.
"Sometimes when I play it's too much emotion on court and I cannot hit my favorite shots," Dementieva said. "But I feel good physically and mentally. I think my serve is a little better than last year and as usual, I'm working on my volleys."
What Dementieva needs is to regain her aggressive posture and begin fly around the court like she did in '00. Her strength is her fast hands and feet, as well as her remarkable ability to take even the hardest balls on the rise. If she's not on her game, she needs to allow it to come her, but cannot wait until she is down a set and a half before she takes a few risks. As so many champions have said of themselves in the past, Dementieva needs to learn how to win even on her most mediocre days.
"When I start to play aggressive, I make so many unforced errors," said Dementieva, who will play Alexandra Stevenson in the third round. "That's what makes me defensive and makes me wait for faults. I don't like to play this way. I will try to do everything possible to come back to the game I played before." '

You may have read the last one somewhere else on this site, but I thought I'd show it anyway.

I actually think Elena is playing better tennis now than in 2000, but she just can't seem to string enough wins together in a row to win a tournament. Which is a shame, because she is good enough to deserve a title. But will she (and Kournikova) EVER get one.
'The longer the drout goes on, the more I doubt it will rain'
as my mother would say.

ys
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:25 AM
That Russian player was considered a future Top player. She won Orange Bowl, and started playing on WTA Tour using great combination of speed, powerful strokes and excellent mental toughness with neer-say-die attitude. She reached Grand Slam semifinal when no one expected that. Then she reached Top 10 and it looked like she was just about to join the elite group fighting for Slams and Top 5. Then unlucky injury happened. And since then that player has never been the same again. Mental toughness and champion's attitude seem to be gone for good. She still has never won a tournament.

Who is that player?

A) Elena Dementieva
B) Anna Kournikova
C) Both

I guess you all know the answer..

Sorry, guys, it has never looked worse for last 3 or 4 years..

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 11th, 2002, 04:41 AM
so true ys :(

I just hope she can figure it out and get a coach who travels with her all yr around.

Looks like Lina & Nadya have also got probs just when it was their time to join the elite both struck down with long injuries :sad:

fresh2flash
Mar 11th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Reasons? She will finish with tennis in a year or two... :(

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 11th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Fresh ..... when did she say this ???

ys
Mar 11th, 2002, 01:17 PM
She did say something like that in one of her chats, as far as I remember.. That she is going to retire at 23. But it sounded like a joke..

the cat
Mar 11th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Elena needs to get better soon. Or she will be passed by another group of players. Her loss to Stevenson yesterday was typical Dementieva. Lose to a player she has never lost to before. Unfortunately Elena doesn't seem to be willing to make changes in order to improve. When will she realize that it's her game that is holding her back? She makes the same mistakes time after time.

fresh2flash
Mar 11th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Yes, it sounded like a joke then, but now it may mean everything. Another problem is that all people around her keep on saying that she`s the best, she just need time to show all she can. Lena`s the best, Lena`s the, Lena`s the best... when you hear this words every day - it`s very easy to lose motivation. I`m afraid that this is the case. And the fact that Elena, despite of her poor game was named Russia`s best player last year - didn`t help with the problem. I hope she can overcome this difficulties, but the hope is fading :(

bubble
Mar 11th, 2002, 05:24 PM
I really really hope that she can find the light at the end of the tunnel soon. :sad:

She did not sound positive during her IW interview and I think she knows it herself too.

Do something , Elena! Don't give up!

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 11th, 2002, 05:33 PM
she's lacking confidence right now, nothing like a win over a top player, thats what she needs now

and to get onto the clay season and to have a full injury free run up to Roland Garros.

tenn_ace
Mar 14th, 2002, 05:34 AM
as I posted before I saw her working with the Brazilian guy, a coach of Jannete and Tathiana. I saw Elena having real fun and I really hoped that they might hit it off. I saw Elena practicing at the US Open two yeras ago, then it was Key Biscane, then US open and now IW. That was the only time when she was smiling and staying focused and hitting balls at a good pace.

He was working on Elena's volleys, her serve-and-volley game and Elena's serve. HE was asking her why she had to jump up when she serves instead of jumping forward. They worked on this.

I asked Tathiana she said no, he is just helping for this tournament. But let's hope.

auntie janie
Mar 14th, 2002, 06:41 PM
She's in the doubles final, anyway! :angel: