PDA

View Full Version : Australia's Greatest Female Pop Star

Shane54
Mar 11th, 2002, 01:06 AM
The other day I bought "Magic", which is a collection of Olivia Newton-John's best hits. I did not realize how many she had. "Have you ever been mellow", "Magic", "Physical", "You're the One that I want" and "I honestly love you" were among her #1's. Not mention her other top tens: "Please Mr. Please", " Let me be there", and "Heart Attack"...Kylie has a long way to go, but is also a great talent. But since I grew up in the 70's I am very partial to Olivia. Any Aussies can tell me what Olivia is up to these days?

Barrie_Dude
Mar 11th, 2002, 01:37 AM
Well, I'm not an Aussie, but I do have fond memories of Olivia Newton John! She was one of my teen-age crushes! At one point I had all her albums! Thanks for bringing her up!

con fusion
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:49 AM
no offence, but every australian will tell you kylie is its greatest pop star!!! Her achievements in australia, uk & europe alone are enough for her to claim that title 'cos she's absolutely massive! Psst americans, she's been totally famous for the last 15 years. It's not just "can't get you out of my head" that's made her famous.

olivia still makes albums, but almost noone buys them. i still think she's sweet. You've gotta respect her for everything she's done.

Sorry to turn this into another kylie thread, but i just got this email from my friend...

"Kylie continues to assault the US where her debut album sold 500,000 copies in the first week and is expected to go platinum in the second.

The only other artist to achieve platinum within two weeks of sales is Whitney Houston.

Her single "Can't Get You Out of my Head" has sold 5,000,000 copies in the US certifying it as platinum by 5 and to date is the largest selling single [by 3.5 million copies!!!!!!!!!!] in the US for 2002.

American Top 40 based on a combo of radio/rotation and sales has her single at Nbr 1 and Album at Nbr 1.

Only other female artists to achieve this are Madonna, Jennifer Lopez, Whitney Houston and Janet Jackson

Her website kylie.com registered a staggering 6.8 million impressions over the last 7 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most hits were from the US.

Confide in Me & Spinning Around have become the most downloaded mp3's in America in the last fortnight - prompting her American Record Company to plan immediate re-release. It is expected these singles will also storm the US charts.

Sears & Robuck - the American catalogue giant have expressed serious interest in carrying Kylie's underwear line.

In the US this week she graces the covers of Rolling Stone, Harpers Bazaar, US Cosmopolitan and will appear on the cover of Vanity Fair and US Vogue next month.

Her second single in the US [In your Eyes] debuted at No.1 on the dance charts and entered the mainstream charts at No.18 with a bullet ensuring it will probably reach No.1 before her current single has left the top 10.

Her US based fan club which had about 5,000 members before her leap to fame there has seen 75,000+ applications for new membership in the last 4 weeks.

Sales of her single over the last 4 weeks and album in the last week added a cool $3.3 million[US] to her $50m fortune.

MTV added her video for In Your Eyes to its high rotation list.

The video for "Can't Get You Out of my Head" remains the most requested video on both MTV and VH1, America's two high profile music cable channels. In Your Eyes is the second most requested and MTV are about to run a special on her within the next two weeks."

BB
Mar 11th, 2002, 07:56 AM
I'm not an Aussie :sad: ...

...but for me it's Kylie :)

Btw can someone tell me what Jason Donovan doesn? Still alive that guy?:cool:

AjdeNate!
Mar 11th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Oh how I do wish this were all true, but sadly it's not:

"Kylie continues to assault the US where her debut album sold 500,000 copies in the first week and is expected to go platinum in the second.

Actually she only sold 115,000 copies in the US. Her very first ever album (w/Locomtion) sold a total of 500,000

The only other artist to achieve platinum within two weeks of sales is Whitney Houston.
Janet Jackson, Madonna, Britney Spears.....

Her single "Can't Get You Out of my Head" has sold 5,000,000 copies in the US certifying it as platinum by 5 and to date is the largest selling single in the US for 2002.
[b]She hasn't even released a single as far as one that is purchasable (is that a word?). She has relied only on radio play on 1 week of album sales to get CGYOOMH to #10.

American Top 40 based on a combo of radio/rotation and sales has her single at Nbr 1 and Album at Nbr 1.
Actually J.Lo f. Ja Rule "Ain't It Funny" has been #1 there for 3 weeks, and Alanis' album is noted as their #1

Only other female artists to achieve this are Madonna, Jennifer Lopez, Whitney Houston and Janet Jackson
Britney Spears

Her website kylie.com registered a staggering 6.8 million impressions over the last 7 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most hits were from the US.

Confide in Me & Spinning Around have become the most downloaded mp3's in America in the last fortnight - prompting her American Record Company to plan immediate re-release. It is expected these singles will also storm the US charts.

Sears & Robuck - the American catalogue giant have expressed serious interest in carrying Kylie's underwear line.

In the US this week she graces the covers of Rolling Stone, Harpers Bazaar, US Cosmopolitan and will appear on the cover of Vanity Fair and US Vogue next month.

Her second single in the US [In your Eyes] debuted at No.1 on the dance charts and entered the mainstream charts at No.18 with a bullet ensuring it will probably reach No.1 before her current single has left the top 10.
IYE hasn't been released as a commerical single and isn't on the Hot 100. As far as the dance charts: CGYOOMH hit #1, Butterfly hit #2, and IYE hasn't hit it at all (yet).

Her US based fan club which had about 5,000 members before her leap to fame there has seen 75,000+ applications for new membership in the last 4 weeks.

Sales of her single over the last 4 weeks and album in the last week added a cool $3.3 million[US] to her $50m fortune.

MTV added her video for In Your Eyes to its high rotation list.
Not in the US, they barely play CGYOOMH

The video for "Can't Get You Out of my Head" remains the most requested video on both MTV and VH1, America's two high profile music cable channels. In Your Eyes is the second most requested and MTV are about to run a special on her within the next two weeks."
IYE has never been seen on US TV's. On MTV, CGYOOMH is #9 and has never been higher than #8. I can't comment on VH1, I don't watch it.

I really do wish for her and for me being a fan that Kylie was sweeping the US so broadly, but she just isn't yet... It seems that this persons source is way off on their statistics.

www.billboard.com has all the charts there w/Hot100, Dance, Albums, etc. Billboard bits has info on sales, etc. For video info, go to www.mtv.com click under shows and then TRL for video charts.

AjdeNate!
Mar 11th, 2002, 08:20 AM

Rolling Stone is the cast of 'Smallville'
Harpers is:
http://www.harpersbazaar.com/images/hp_sub_pic.jpg

Cosmo is:
http://a820.g.akamai.net/f/820/822/1d/i.ivillage.com/cosmopolitan/hp/updates/0302/cos_issue0302.jpg

AUSBOY
Mar 11th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Thanks Seles for clearing up a trumped up exaggeration of Kylie's success!

How People quickly forget that Kylie had a lot of very lean years in the 90's with very little success!

Sure she came on the pop scene late 1980's and had her big world wide top ten Locomotion in 1987-88. After that her success in the US totally died, she was a one hit wonder! 14 years of no hits whatsoever

Kylie continued her success in the UK for a couple more years with her first 15 songs going top 10 in the span of 4.5years! But after January 1992 that was really it for Kylie. She had a brief resurgance in the UK when Confide in Me was released peaking at number 2. But she went a whole decade, without a number 1 in the UK (from Tears on my Pillow 1990 until Spinning Around 2000)

Even her success dwindled in Australia a lot. Her last album before Light Years saw very little success. So little success that people have forgotten!

Do people remember Some Kind of Bliss, peaked at 26 on the singles chart, or maybe the album Impossible Princess might jog a few memories, struggled enormously just to scrape in sales of 50,000 in Australia! Only the 31st biggest selling album of 1998.

Her album before this had the Australian Number 1 Confide in Me, but basically nothing else, "Put yourself in my Place" only spent a few weeks in the top 10 before quickly falling out of the charts.

To put it short, Kylie after her success of Shocked in Australia in 1991 basically had little success until Confide in Me briefly brought her back into the limelight for 3 months, then she pitted out again until 2000 with Spinning Around.

Kylie has had enormous success from 1988-1991, 3 months of 1996 and 2000-2002 with very little in between those years!

Still having said that she is very close to being Australia's greatest worldwide female artist. I would still put Olivia Newton John ahead at this stage. Olivia actually had the 8th biggest selling album of 1998 in Australia, Kylie could only manage 31st. Olivia also had the 24th biggest album of 1999 as well, Kylie didn't make the top 100 but I assume 'con fusion' must have got confused.

con fusion
Mar 11th, 2002, 09:58 PM
lol @ seles & ausboy! Thanks for clearing that up. That stuff did seem too good to be true. i'm gonna have to tell my friend (no it's not "my friend"...this person does exist...i didn't just make it up!) to stop sending his fantasy email to everyone!

ausboy, as for the lack in sales of the impossible princess album, this is true. But it's also true, that kylie's tour of that album in australia was the most successful tour in australia by a female artist (until she broke her own record with the light years tour). How many shows did she sell out in sydney. It was about 14 or something. i went to the sixth!

hmmm...
Olivia also had the 24th biggest album of 1999 as well, Kylie didn't make the top 100 but I assume 'con fusion' must have got confused.

but kylie didn't release an album that year. impossible princess was released late 1997, light years in 2000.

Beige, each to their own i guess, but i do not judge kylie's career on the basis of her US pop career (or lack thereof). The fact that she's the most loved pop star in australia and the UK is enough for me.

Kylie will never EVER win the hearts of Americans (especially those in suburban and rural areas)

this will sound rude, but maybe is it because they don't get it?

Barrie_Dude
Mar 11th, 2002, 10:08 PM
Well, in Nort America, everyone knows Olivia Newton Jon and very few know who this kylie person is!

con fusion
Mar 11th, 2002, 10:21 PM
well that's cool baz! i'm gonna shut up now, 'cos i don't wanna offend anymore people. i'd like to correct ausboy some more on some of his statements, but what's the point? i've already made an ass out of myself by pasting that email here, so i'll stop now! hehehe. Suffice to say that the olivia vs kylie debate is very interesting, and there should be more of it :)

DeniseM
Mar 11th, 2002, 10:22 PM
I like Kylie Minogue well enough, but to suggest she's in the same league as Olivia Newton-John is ridiculous. What Kylie Minogue has done is impressive enough on its own. There's no need to try to exaggerate it.

Oizo
Mar 12th, 2002, 02:09 AM
Vanessa Amorosi :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Sal U. Lite
Mar 12th, 2002, 08:25 AM
I recently bought Olivia's "Magic". The songs brought back some great memories. Especially the "Grease" songs.:)

In the U.S., Olivia is the most successful Aussie female singer of all time. (source: Billboard singles charts):

OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN
29 Top-40 hits
15 Top-10 hits
5 #1 hits

KYLIE MINOGUE
4 Top-40 hits
2 Top-10 hits
0 #1 hits

Kylie is still climbing the charts, but she has a LONG way to go before she catches Miss Olivia.:)

jelena4me
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Well,most people over 16 should realise that Kylie is a product of an overhyped self important pop industry. She's pretty moderate.

Olivia was never exceptional herself, and had a pretty ordinary singing voice, but looks wise Olivia N-J made Kylie look like a pig.

I'll go with whoever said Judith Durham, but of course none of you are old enough to know who she is. But she's 10 times a better singer than either of the others and she was quite attractive in her day!!

Hingie
Mar 12th, 2002, 11:10 AM
AUSBOy, are you sure you got your facts right about Impossible Princess. I'm pretty sure Some kind of Bliss peaked at #3 on the Australian charts. Breathe, Did it Again and Cowboy Style were all top 20 hits and the Impossible Princess tour was sold out in all states, i wouldn't call that a flop now, would you?

tiger
Mar 12th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Vanessa and kylie the best australian popstars!!

AUSBOY
Mar 12th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Hingie it was Impossible Princess the album that peaked at number 3 in its first week as a debut!

Some kind of Bliss spent a whopping five weeks in the top 50 peaking at 26.

Breathe and Did it again were a bigger success spending time in the top 20. Cowboy Style spent 1 week in the top 50. Source for this is Aria Charts!

Yes Kylie had a lot of sell out concerts right around Australia. The tour was launched to try and boost her failing popularity. The concerts were a huge success, she sold out something like 20 concerts around Australia but it did absolutely nothing for album sales! When you consider that around 170,000 people saw her concerts only 50,000 albums were sold says a lot!!!

*Bubbles*
Mar 12th, 2002, 02:55 PM
someone brought up Vanessa Amorosi. Here in Finland no one knows who she is (except me) and her music is nowhere to be find here let alone info about her. So questions for the Aussies: How big is Vanessa in Australia? Do people like her? Has she released any other cd than Power (think that was the name of it at least)?

Double Fault
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:43 PM
I grew up listening to ONJ so I'm biased. "Xanadu" was on the radio today. :)

I can't compare her with Kylie, for me there is no comparison.

MLF
Mar 13th, 2002, 05:15 PM
They just reviewed Olivia's back catalogue in Q magazine and every album was slated as really bad which I think I would agree with based on the few singles I've heard.
In the UK Kylie has had way more success than Olivia. I'd say even Dannii Minogue since 1997 has been far better than Olivia. Kylie and Dannii are Australia's finest pop exports I'd say.